• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feathered dinosaur tail found trapped in amber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it assumed that if a few tiny dinosaurs have feathers then every dinosaur in jurassic park would of had feathers?

No freaking way this dinosaur had feathers.
v9xbaO9.jpg

That's not a dinosaur.

Is that the joke?

kswiston

False, body hair didn't just get finer, it started disappearing

Educate yourself: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2003/08/19/science/why-humans-and-their-fur-parted-ways.html (NY times article)

What's to educate? You said we aren't covered in hair. Barring genetic traits leading to total lack of body hair (and later in life baldness), every inch of your typical human is covered in hair. It's common sense that density varies.

No one has ever said that every feathered dino was as feathered as a sparrow.

WorldStar

Banned
What's to educate? You said we aren't covered in hair. Barring genetic traits leading to total lack of body hair (and later in life baldness), every inch of your typical human is covered in hair. It's common sense that density varies.

Article literally points out how humans are no longer covered in body hair

slit

I want more feather proof just so half the people around here have nervous breakdowns! Nervous breakdowns for the ones who won't accept it and breakdowns for the rational ones that try and explain it to them.

kswiston

Article literally points out how humans are no longer covered in body hair

Article just points out that we dont have monkey fur and gives some postulated reasons for that, along with a timeline.

Again, we are covered in hair. Most of it is sparse, and vestigial since it doesn't perform any of the functions that fur did, but the remnants of the fur coats are still there.

T-Rex might have been largely featherless, but probably had at least some vestigial covering like us or elephants.

WorldStar

Banned
Article just points out that we dont have monkey fur and gives some postulated reasons for that, along with a timeline.

Again, we are covered in hair. Most of it is sparse, and vestigial since it doesn't perform any of the functions that fur did, but the remnants of the fur coats are still there.

T-Rex might have been largely featherless, but probably had at least some vestigial covering like us or elephants.

Interesting didn't know we had any direct evidence which suggests t-Rex had feathers. Link please?

kswiston

Interesting didn't know we had any direct evidence which suggests t-Rex had feathers. Link please?

Based on previous posts, you don't believe in phylogentic inference, but feathered tyrannosaurs have been established.

https://www.wired.com/2012/04/yutyrannus-huali-feathers/

T-Rex (the species rather than the genus or family) itself hasnt yet. But almost all extinct mammals from >2-3M years ago lack direct evidence of fur as well. Fur and feathers dont preserve easily.

Yagharek

Dinosaurs with feathers is an amazing discovery. Whether they had thick downy covering or just sparse covering is an interesting question.

I'd love to think of the variation amongst some of the theropods, especially if they had enough feathers for sexual and defensive displays like we see in birds.

It's a shame we will never know what their behaviour was like, but knowing more about them is always more exciting than pretending they were like in some movie. The anti-scientific trolling in this thread is banal.

Cheerilee

Dinosaur = deinos sauros = terrible lizard.

If dinosaurs are birds, then that shakes the very foundation of dinosaurs. They should be called dinopoultry (are they even still terrible?). Tyrannopoultry Rex. Brontopoultry. Stegapoultry. Triceratops is cool, that one can stay (unless you're gonna tell me that he never had three horns).

How could science get this wrong? If science lied to us about dinosaurs, what else has it lied to us about? Oh, that's right, Pluto. Science lied to us about the solar system. While science was laughing it's ass off about people who believed the Earth was flat or that the universe had a creator who sent a carpenter to save our souls, science was cramming falsehoods into our brains.

And if science was wrong about dinosaurs, and it was wrong about the solar system, what other "facts" is science still wrong about? Is it feathers? Science is wrong about feathers, isn't it? Science needs to stop acting so damn smug and own up to it's mistakes. It needs to quit pretending it's so much better than the people who grew up learning last year's gospel truth.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Dinosaur = deinos sauros = terrible lizard.

If dinosaurs are birds, then that shakes the very foundation of dinosaurs. They should be called dinopoultry (are they even still terrible?). Tyrannopoultry Rex. Brontopoultry. Stegapoultry. Triceratops is cool, that one can stay (unless you're gonna tell me that he never had three horns).

How could science get this wrong? If science lied to us about dinosaurs, what else has it lied to us about? Oh, that's right, Pluto. Science lied to us about the solar system. While science was laughing it's ass off about people who believed the Earth was flat or that the universe had a creator who sent a carpenter to save our souls, science was cramming falsehoods into our brains.

And if science was wrong about dinosaurs, and it was wrong about the solar system, what other "facts" is science still wrong about? Is it feathers? Science is wrong about feathers, isn't it? Science needs to stop acting so damn smug and own up to it's mistakes. It needs to quit pretending it's so much better than the people who grew up learning last year's gospel truth.

Go blame very early taxonomy.

With that said they did have some foreseight, we did get the word raptor after all (which is more related to birds despite being used on certain dinosaurs).

Also smug science absolutism is pretty much just casuals or plebs thinking they know science when the very essence of science is fact-checking and changing established stuff because of new facts.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This whole 'hurr i'm rejecting the idea because it challenges my views of what dinosaurs are' -spiel, said jokingly or not, continues to be embarrassing.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I saw the thread and thought "how did this get to 7 pages". I did not expect what I ended up finding.

You guys are crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom