• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feathered dinosaur tail found trapped in amber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it really that hard to accept decades worth of science and research that dinosaurs had feathers? This isn't even a recent thing.

Do you also believe that gun suppressors make little whfft sounds or that cars explode when you shoot them?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is it really that hard to accept decades worth of science and research that dinosaurs had feathers? This isn't even a recent thing.

Do you also believe that gun suppressors make little whfft sounds or the cars explode when you shoot them?
Locks also snap in two when you shoot at them. It is known.

Locks also snap in two when you shoot at them. It is known.
It's funny. Like I do prefer my movie dinosaurs featherless. They do look menacing like that for sure. I grew up on Jurassic Park; The Lost World was my favorite movie for a long time

But I also understand that it's all for movie purposes, and that science says otherwise.

The two don't override eachother. Which is why I find it odd how strongly people try to dismiss feathers. Unless it's all trolling and sarcasm

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's funny. Like I do prefer my movie dinosaurs featherless. They do look menacing like that for sure. I grew up on Jurassic Park; The Lost World was my favorite movie for a long time

But I also understand that it's all for movie purposes, and that science says otherwise.

The two don't override eachother. Which is why I find it odd how strongly people try to dismiss feathers. Unless it's all trolling and sarcasm

not to mention that even in JP films they acknowledge that their dinos aren't what actual dinos supposed to look like

aa4.jpg

CONFIRMED

See I can't take a 20 foot chicken seriously.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
not to mention that even in JP films they acknowledge that their dinos aren't what actual dinos supposed to look like

The book also drew heavy controversy in many fields such as paleontology and a genetics. A few of the dinos described where either mistaken or anachronisms.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It's not even like movies can't keep showing off featherless dinosaurs. "It's called final fantasy," as they say. It's not like the damned dinosaurs are going to come back and eat us if we get it wrong in Hollywood.

Dinosaurs had feathers. :p

Nugg

- You can't deny evolution, there is scientific proof everywhere!
- Also, dinosaurs had feathers
- LIES

IC5

Birds of prey can be pretty scary. Just ask this guy who suffered an owl attack from a Great Horned Owl. That bird is the size of a small cat or a kitten.
https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12843096_f520.jpg

Great Horned Owls can get up to 25 inches in body length. I've seen one that large, up close. It had been hit by a car. That bird could have messed up anyone. Huge talons, driven by a nearly 5 foot wingspan.

A larger bird of prey can take on squirrels and similar small mammals.. Imagine a 20 foot one.

Eagles can grab all kinds of stuff. Golden eagles are particularly large and can take small goats, dogs, human babies, cats, etc. I mean actually grab them and fly away.

But eagles don't necessarily have to fly away, and neither do other birds of prey. If they feel up to it, they will just swoop in and talon their target and then land and hop over to finish the job. I watched an bald eagle get one of our chickens, that way. He swooped in and tackled it. Flipped it over to expose its belly, and then split it from head to toe, with a single talon swipe. Ate the whole chicken in a couple of bites. Maybe 8 seconds.

*and here are some golden eagles, dropping goats off cliffs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY9IJGm_PTI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WroMlDqTRs

Harpy eagle takes a Sloth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGMmQBiU1Ls

Oppo

guys you can keep your Jurassic lizards cause didn't they try mix them with frog DNA or whatever?

poor WorldStar. imagine going through life thinking in this way. i pity him and his hairy, hairy body

Do you also believe that gun suppressors make little whfft sounds or that cars explode when you shoot them?

Only if you hit the gas tank, or if they fall off a cliff.

N.Domixis

Banned
Feathered Dino's look like aliens since we grew up with Dino's looked completely different. For that reason I think it's awesome. One more blunder added to the history books.

Go blame very early taxonomy.

With that said they did have some foreseight, we did get the word raptor after all (which is more related to birds despite being used on certain dinosaurs).

Also smug science absolutism is pretty much just casuals or plebs thinking they know science when the very essence of science is fact-checking and changing established stuff because of new facts.

IIRC, the word Raptor wasn't used because of any similarity to birds. Its Latin meaning was intended, "plunderer" or something along those lines, because of the idea that these animals were egg stealers. Just a coincidence that they turned out to be (the forerunners of) birds.

This and the Pluto deplanetization are guaranteed flashpoints on the internet.

The Pluto thing isn't like this, though. It's not denial of reality. What we call Pluto is subjective, so if someone disagrees, that's just their opinion. It's not a "fact" that Pluto is or isn't a planet, it's a designation. No actual facts about Pluto are in significant dispute. No one's saying it's not real, or is actually bigger, or anything. So while I think people should get over it, it's not a big deal.

This dinosaur thing is different. It is reality denial. It's no different than saying the Earth doesn't orbit the sun.

Why is this thread based on fake news and politicized science still active?

Sad!

We all know dinosaurs were completely made of scales and were super cool

Yagharek

Is this entire thread a joke or not? There are tons of fossils showing evidence of feathered dinosaurs.

Archaeopteryx is a dinosaur is it? I thought a close relative, but google tells me it was an avian dinosaur. Cool.

Also with that photo of modern/recently extinct birds, cassowaries are amazing "up close". Seen a couple in a bird refuge in Queensland and they are solid, intimidating animals. I wouldn't want to be on the same side of a fence as one.

Yagharek

Dinos lived with small animals and birds IMO. This could be from a Bird.
Dinos probably ate small birds and animals to extinction.

Have they consulted you? I'll listen to the paleontologists opinion for now. Whether they co-existed for a period or not is probably already understood to be the case, but that doesn't mean birds didn't come from some branch of the dinosaur group.

edit: a cursory search tells me that birds are a group of theropod dinosaurs which emerged in the same period as the dinosaurs (tautology alert).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom