• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV new ATR + Dengeki event on 8/28

English
Iris: You know Noct, this almost feels like a date
Noctis: What? No, not at all (Denying)
Iris: Would it kill you to play along for once? (Kinda sounds angry)

Japanese
Iris: Noct, doesn't this feel like a secret date?
Noctis: I would be punched by your brother if it was
Iris: I wouldn't be surprised (while laughing)

Why the heck does this scene is so different in the Japanese ver compare to English? Not just the dialogues. The whole scene is different

Why? That is really changes the dynamic of the scene.

chefbags

English

Japanese

Why the heck does this scene is so different in the Japanese ver compare to English? Not just the dialogues. The whole scene is different

Haha whoah that's like literally two different scenes. Ill stick with the Japanese VA (best Cidney voice) but man people are going to be mad at the difference.

sappyday

English

Japanese

Yea that's weird.

Mailbox

English

Japanese

Why? That is really changes the dynamic of the scene.

Its a different scene, technically.
Best bet is that its based on a dialogue choice the character makes to make a response. like: Choose to play along or choose to deny, or something.

edit: seriously, look at it again, the cameras are different the acting is different, etc. It seems like a dialogue choice rather than just a straight up big change in region material...

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Huh? Noctis' response to Iris is different between the two videos.
FF7 dating mechanic all up in this?

Kuraudo

Banned
English

Japanese

Possible dialogue option, only both times they've edited the choice out of the video?

Tyaren

English

Japanese

Why the heck does this scene is so different in the Japanese ver compare to English?

It's like this in the whole game unfortunately...

In Japanese Cindy seems more sympathetic towards the guys because her grandpa is so tough on them, in English she almost seemed to find that funny. In Japanese there is no mention of King Regis' death in the newspaper in English they shoehorned it in for some inexplicable reason.

Button prompts are different, its definitely not XD

Huh? The Neo version would have the exact same button prompts as the regular PS4 version. But I also think it's unlikely. Some time ago they said they had no set plans for a neo version yet and they just had to delay the game for two months to get the regular versions in order...

sappyday

In Japanese Cindy seems more sympathetic towards the guys because her grandpa is so tough on them, in English she almost seemed to find that funny. In Japanese there is no mention of King Regis' death in the newspaper in English they shoehorned it in for some inexplicable reason.

Dialogue is bound to be different but in the video the scene with Iris plays out differently. Which isn't the case with your other examples.

Mailbox

I get what you're saying (and thats definitely on the localization team, though) but that's not what this is.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

God bless language options

Mailbox

Huh? The Neo version would have the exact same button prompts as the regular PS4 version. But I also think it's unlikely. Some time ago they said they had no set plans for a neo version yet and they just had to delay the game for two months to get the regular versions in order...

Nono... The video showed off 2 builds of the ps4 version. Button prompts on each subsequent build are slightly different (specifically the hold button prompts). The one with prompts that differ slightly from the gamescom version looks considerably sharper in IQ (or at least thats what I found), so I thought that was what you were refering too. sorry.

Ydelnae

PSY・S;215249572 said:
I need to know if the English subtitles will match the Japanese script or the English.

I think it's safe to assume the English subtitles will match the English localization. However, I'm wondering if the French, German and Spanish localizations are done from the Japanese version or the English one.

Ran rp

noo :/

Edit: But what about the newspaper scene? How will that work with the Japanese audio and English subs saying two different things? I guess they're assuming if you're using English subs you wouldn't understand what they were saying anyway?

Nono... The video showed off 2 builds of the ps4 version. Button prompts on each subsequent build are slightly different (specifically the hold button prompts). The one with prompts that differ slightly from the gamescom version looks considerably sharper in IQ (or at least thats what I found), so I thought that was what you were refering too. sorry.

Are you saying they show two different builds in this footage? If so, i would appreciate if you could time stamp them.

UrbanRats

English

Japanese

Ugh.
But i'll give the benefit of the doubt, and assume it's because of timing, during the dubbing process.
Still, subtitles all the way, as usual.

- J - D -

English

Japanese

I refuse to believe it.

Mailbox

Are you saying they show two different builds in this footage? If so, i would appreciate if you could time stamp them.

For a clear look at the newer build it'd be from:
10:12 - 12:45
15:20 - 16:30
27:56 - 28:28
31:14 - 31:32

The older (presumably, hopefully) gamescom build for ps4 are:
28:30 - 30:46 (yes I think the fishing is part of the older build)
31:34 - 32:08

All the other gameplay (not cut-scene as I can't tell which builds those are from tbh) is from the xbox one gamescom build.

The newer build has less Lod issues (though not perfect) and better IQ. Its especial apparent when they switch from chocobo free riding to chocobo racing
Ugh.
But i'll give the benefit of the doubt, and assume it's because of timing, during the dubbing process.
Still, subtitles all the way, as usual.

I refuse to believe it.

You guys should watch the part in question before commenting...

Honestly... Its not a dubbing or localizing thing, the whole scene is different and it looks like its because of dialogue choice...

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It could just be some sort of FF7-esque mechanic that changes scenes based on previous choices? If it's language version differences, how would they handle when you picked JP audio with EN subtitles? Would it play the JP cutscene? Are there two versions of subtitles then? I think it's just a different version of the cutscene.

Falk

that puzzling face
So, I apologize for bringing this discussion back into the limelight (hur hur hur) but taking another look at the tomb scene:

FCW3Xty.png

If you notice Prompto, he's standing where light from the ceiling falls. I'm wondering if those same highlights would have been on Cor and Noctis at certain times of the day, more closely recreating the look of the Uncovered trailer.

Incidentally, slightly further on in this JP video at 23:40 and 24:18 you can see the light actually moving (lol accelerated day/night cycle?)

so... dragonzdogma redeemed?

Mailbox

So, I apologize for bringing this discussion back into the limelight (hur hur hur) but taking another look at the tomb scene:

http://i.imgur.com/FCW3Xty.png[/img

If you notice Prompto, he's standing where light from the ceiling falls. I'm wondering if those same highlights would have been on Cor and Noctis at certain times of the day, more closely recreating the look of the Uncovered trailer.

Incidentally, slightly further on in this JP video at [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpFD6Hcx-Fc#t=23m40]23:40[/url] and [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpFD6Hcx-Fc#t=24m18]24:18[/url] you can see the light actually [i]moving[/i] (lol accelerated day/night cycle?)

so... dragonzdogma redeemed?[/QUOTE]

wow... nice find Falk.

Falk

that puzzling face
Finished the JP vid. I'm... actually kinda undecided for JP or EN on first playthrough. A lot of the subtle body language works a lot better with the Japanese dialogue pacing (for obvious reasons) but I think I actually prefer the four bro's characterization in English (don't hurt me)

(The "we'll play hide and seek with him!" line aside. Wow)

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
It could just be some sort of FF7-esque mechanic that changes scenes based on previous choices? If it's language version differences, how would they handle when you picked JP audio with EN subtitles? Would it play the JP cutscene? Are there two versions of subtitles then? I think it's just a different version of the cutscene.

Like most games with Japanese audio and English text, they don't necessarily have to match.

But it could really just be two versions of the same scene.

Falk

that puzzling face
The best part about that GIF is that Noctis' jacket front kinda flips along with the momentum

"yeah no big deal imma just do my thing"

Voror

English

Japanese

Oh man that gives me something akin to the Tales of Hearts R localization,though this at least has a dub I guess.

KupoNut

xeOPq2Ll.jpg

43mbWORl.jpg

OMG, it is like one screen is from a rainy, clouded day and the other one is in beautiful sunshine! O:

I hope this is related to their post-processing not being fully implemented in the Master Version, the English gameplay had bleached scenes like this all over the place. I really hope this isn't time of day related because wow. The English one could be a PS3 game for all I know.

stryke

English

Japanese

So could this mean that even if I chose Japanese audio, the English subtitles wouldn't be accurate anyway?

koutoru

So could this mean that even if I chose Japanese audio, the English subtitles wouldn't be accurate anyway?
Games, unlike movies and tv, are subbed to match the english VO instead of providing a completely different script that more accurately matches the japanese VO.

Essentially when you have dual audio, the subtitles will be dubtitles.

Top Bottom