• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV new ATR + Dengeki event on 8/28

The English localization took some liberties by not even voicing some of the lines. It's going to be really odd for those who play this in Japanese with subs.

I'm wondering if the English script hasn't caught up to changes in the Japanese one, but maybe it's a bit late in development for that. IIRC, FFXIII underwent a lot of rewrites late into development and translating the game was hell for that reason.

The guy's given off some serious Kuja vibes with me man! He just seems so Villiany! When he was first shown even a tad in 2013's trailer, i thought "OH so that's who the main villian is!"

Thought still hasn't changed at all.

People thought the same thing about Jihl Nabaat. But she wasn't designed by Nomura either and well, we know what they did with her.

wmlk

I'm wondering if the English script hasn't caught up to changes in the Japanese one, but maybe it's a bit late in development for that. IIRC, FFXIII underwent a lot of rewrites late into development and translating the game was hell for that reason.
Watch the JP Uncovered trailer with Ardyn's scene. The part where Ignis confronts him is gone in English.

I've definitely noticed that JP direct translation has the characters being more emotional than the ENG localization.

All the localization needs now is pop culture references to immediately date the game.

Watch the JP Uncovered trailer with Ardyn's scene. The part where Ignis confronts him is gone in English.

I've definitely noticed that JP direct translation has the characters being more emotional than the ENG localization.

I'll have to go back and take a look.

benzy

Definitely a lot better. Like the duscae lighting came back after seeing that.

Hopefully that's the actual ps4 version cause that'd be nice to see some improvement.

PS4 button prompts. Looks good.

ieZb.png

All in all, I like her design a lot, I think she looks more badass than she does sexy, but I understand why people are miffed a lil at the cliche parts of her outfit (the boob window and the upper thigh)
And the travesty that is her footwear.

What even are those shoes I can't.

aitakute

Tabata said that he noticed people said that the trees graphics are so shit in master version footage. And he said that this will be improved?

Nice too see the 50s man jokes about Shuu still going on in the comments on nico lol

sappyday

PS4 button prompts. Looks good.

ieZb.png

Yea just looking at the footage it's looking better than what we saw in the 50 minute video. Although the chocobo race in the 50 minute video was on the Xbox One. However, the lighting does look better, even Duscae levels of good.

DPtheGod

Yea just looking at the footage it's looking better than what we saw in the 50 minute video. Although the chocobo race in the 50 minute video was on the Xbox One. However, the lighting does look better, even Duscae levels of good.

PC version with PS4 controller plugged in + Duscae mods confirmed.

sappyday

I wouldn't doubt some believing this. But still, Square hasn't been shy with showing which platform is which. They have played the PC version before and you can tell with the button prompts.

Mailbox

I wouldn't doubt some believing this. But still, Square hasn't been shy with showing which platform is which. They have played the PC version before and you can tell with the button prompts.

Yeah, anytime square has played with the pc version it has always had stock (and better looking imo) button prompts. Only when its 100% the ps4 version do the ps button prompts appear. I doubt that has changed here.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Nice PS4 footage.

About designs, Areana looks great. I don't want or need realism in a game with "fantasy" in the title.

Kind of confused why Luna's design was slightly altered after Uncovered, seemingly to add blemishes and red around her eyes, weird.

chefbags

Yeah when it's running on pc Tabata actually does tell you/audience that it's on pc.

So this footage is great to see.

sappyday

Nice PS4 footage.

About designs, Areana looks great. I don't want or need realism in a game with "fantasy" in the title.

Kind of confused why Luna's design was slightly altered after Uncovered, seemingly to add blemishes and red around her eyes, weird.

To make her look less like a doll. In the Uncovered trailer it looks like she's expressing no emotion. While now you can tell she's clearly angry in that section.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
To make her look less like a doll. In the Uncovered trailer it looks like she's expressing no emotion. While now you can tell she's clearly angry in that section.

She didn't look like a doll, they only added some visual blemishes to the model to make her look semi beat up and downgraded the lightning and took out the motion blur.

When i look at the two models back to back, their facial expression is exactly the same

sappyday

She didn't look like a doll, they only added some visual blemishes to the model to make her look semi beat up and downgraded the lightning and took out the motion blur.

When i look at the two models back to back, their facial expression is exactly the same

I don't see it like that with the older one. Her older face just looked blank.

DPtheGod

Oh I know haha. I agree that it's on PS4. My comment was just a joke in the flavor of all the naysayers firmly believing this game cannot look good unless it's on a PC running with in-game graphics of the Dawn Trailer empowered by the Duscae lighting.

All jokes aside, I cannot wait for this game. On the contrary, I can't wait to see what these two months do for the game.

Toparaman

Banned
Maybe it's compression hiding imperfections, but that new PS4 footage does look quite nice, low draw distance aside. Maybe it's Neo footage, maybe not.

More importantly there is now music playng in the background in Duscae! O:

Don't be so sure. They are by the chocobo racing place and even Duscae had music at locales like gas station, chocobo ranch.

Sorry I'm just insanely afraid this game has no proper background music like all other FF's and don't wanna assume it will as if it doesn't seriously it'll be a bigger problem for me than poor Image quality, crap VA or frame rate being bad LOL. That's how much I need background music for environments (not just the points of interest...screw modern gaming sound design)

chefbags

Based Yosp going to be speaking with Tabata-san soon. Can't wait cause this part of the event is the most interesting to me.

sappyday

Don't be so sure. They are by the chocobo racing place and even Duscae had music at locales like gas station, chocobo ranch.

Sorry I'm just insanely afraid this game has no proper background music like all other FF's and don't wanna assume it will as if it doesn't seriously it'll be a bigger problem for me than poor Image quality, crap VA or frame rate being bad LOL. That's how much I need background music for environments (not just the points of interest...screw modern gaming sound design)

Yea it could be, but that track playing does not really suit a chocobo station like that. Usually the track playing in Wiz's Chocobo ranch would play as it does during the race.

But we did just get the 50 minute video. You think they would add backround music this late into development?

wmlk

I don't think a ranch would have that kinda music lol.

I don't know, the background music sounds too epic to be just for the Chocobo racing place. Sounds more like general background music then music that only plays at the Chocobo racing place. Hope so. Love me some atmospheric background music. It adds so much.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't see it like that with the older one. Her older face just looked blank.

Looking back at it, your partially right, the facial expressions are different and she's holding her necklace.

Her older model in that scene

tumblr_o4w1cue7Tw1sq41kno1_500.gif

her new one

luna4.jpg

But the new one has the benefit of showing far more of the scene, and the older one still doesn't look particularly blank, just determined

Tyaren

Hmm... I don't think it is music especially for that little minigame hut. Wouldn't the music sound a lot more upbeat and happy too? Like on the chocobo ranch? This feels much pretty much like the calming music we hear in the BG of games like Skyrim and Witcher 3. It might also not play always but just sometimes to get you in the right mood.

sappyday

Looking back at it, your partially right, the facial expressions are different and she's holding her necklace.

Her older model in that scene

tumblr_o4w1cue7Tw1sq41kno1_500.gif

her new one

luna4.jpg

But the new one has the benefit of showing far more of the scene, and the older one still doesn't look particularly blank, just determined

Maybe my eyes just don't work but for me they're night and day.

I sure hope you guys are right regarding that music and that merely fear has clouded my usual jedi-like judgement. It does not sound music befitting a chocobo ranch on second listen. But weirder things are being done by this game looolz

Mailbox

People thought the same thing about Jihl Nabaat. But she wasn't designed by Nomura either and well, we know what they did with her.

People got Kuja vibes from her?
I never did. She reminded me a lot of an evil Quistis though.

Ardyn has this weird extravagence and slimy and schemy just like Kuja. Give him a man-thong and you pretty much got the same character (only... Ardyn tries to seem helpful and Kuja is a huge dick from the start...)

Edit: Yoshida Time!!!

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Those boob, sideboob and thigh windows are atrocious. And her boots aren't actually flat like normal boots, but actually partially supported by a sharp curve thingy. Wtf. Her design is just overly busy in general.

Maybe I'm just eternally a teenage boy, but I dig her like I dig Velvet's design in Tales of Berseria, probably even more. I like that kind of design, and we don't see it very often anymore in Western games.

Also, for those saying it's Nomura, it might be Roberto Ferrari, not Nomura. Does look like classic Nomura though :p

Ishida

Banned
Pop in is extremely aggressive when it comes to folliage. It's not a dealbreaker for me, but it's very noticeable when moving at high speeds like with a Chocobo. I hope it gets tweaked before release, although it screams optimization technique to me.

Everything else is top notch, though, especially the lighting. :)

Mailbox

Maybe I'm just eternally a teenage boy, but I dig her like I dig Velvet's design in Tales of Berseria, probably even more. I like that kind of design, and we don't see it very often anymore in Western games.

Also, for those saying it's Nomura, it might be Roberto Ferrari, not Nomura. Does look like classic Nomura though :p

I don't like Velvet's design (its far too chaotic without feeling like it has any point).

I like Aranea's design because it has a lot of complicated parts, but never feels so busy that it detracts from her presence and her class as a character. Despite the boob-window, high-thigh stuff, and boots it still feels like she's well above other characters and she oozes a dragoon feeling (without trying to copy a Kain-like style).

For me Aranea's design (while I certainly could be better) just works.

Top Bottom