• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 7-13 | Smash our expectations

Silky

Banned
Pretty sure it's 720p, or possibly 1280x768 if RingEdge 2 uses 16:10 monitors like Nesica does. (Blazblue and P4U actually have slight amounts at the top and bottom of the screen cut off on consoles.) Don't know if there's much available for clean direct-feed screenshots.

Yeah that's what I figured as well.

Koogy

Neo Member
New article by Clockw0rk is up on the Brokentier site. Here's an excerpt from it! :D

http://www.brokentier.com/blogs/news/13326705-marvel-gods-a-breakdown-by-clockw0rk

I think it makes sense to say that these guys are the 5 most consistent players. If your criteria for Marvel deity status is simply those who are on the top of the mountain, then you’d be correct in calling these guys the Marvel gods. Of course some would argue that it’s a defeatist attitude, but it really just depends on your definition of “Marvel god.”

However, I will say that I don’t think the skill gap that separates the top from the rest in UMvC3 is as wide as it was in MvC2. The gods of UMvC3 are currently the best, but the gods in MvC2 were far and away the best. What’s interesting is that if you watch the old EVO 2002 MvC2 top 8 footage, when the only gods were Justin and Rowtron, you can see that they were also far and away the best at the time. Was this due to the nature of the game? The nature of the scene? You could say the advent of the internet and YouTube has played a major role in narrowing that far and away skill gap. But then again, MvC2 footage had been circulating well into 2005-2006 while that gap still existed all the way to 2010. It’s difficult to say. You could probably write another full-bodied article exploring this. (and by You I mean Viscant)

Again, it’s about your definition. If your criteria for Marvel godhood is to be far and away better than the rest, then maybe the top 5 aren’t as godly as we make them out to be. There are just too many good players on the cusp who have proven they have the potential to be the best.

For the PS4 version they can just render everything at 1080p (assuming they can get 60fps after optimizing).

right now, ps3 browser supports youtube kappa

gbd7r.gif

fader

man after watching the Smash Bros documentary, i'm surprised no one is trying to make a Marvel 2 documentary.

I think it was UltraDavid, but during Texas Showdown, during Ranmasama vs. Jan, Ranmasama chose not to finish Shuma-Gorath off with Purification x Chaotic Flame. Both UltraDavid and James Chen seemed surprised by the decision. Shuma-Gorath has a weird hitbox, and Purification x Chaotic Flame almost always drops against him. Even with 10,000 Dormammu matches, I only nail it 2/3 of the time on a good day. I never chance it, and I suspect Ranmasama was aware of this as well.

Edit: loving Clock's writeup.

casperOne

yikes do I get that much flack for posting it twice

edit okay four times lol. still even if it felt amazing no, it's not my fav VF gif and it doesn't imo exemplify what is great about the series.

Ha! Not at all. It's actually just fun to see your reaction. It's a great gif and I love your passion for VF. Nothing personal, I always mean it in good fun.

I think it was UltraDavid, but during Texas Showdown, during Ranmasama vs. Jan, Ranmasama chose not to finish Shuma-Gorath off with Purification x Chaotic Flame. Both UltraDavid and James Chen seemed surprised by the decision. Shuma-Gorath has a weird hitbox, and Purification x Chaotic Flame almost always drops against him. Even with 10,000 Dormammu matches, I only nail it 2/3 of the time on a good day. I never chance it, and I suspect Ranmasama was aware of this as well.

You'll be surprise how many zero players don't know which characters you have to delay the dive buster on. It drives rynge insane when he's on commentary.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Shuma has the weirdest hitbox in the game, free.

Rolling Buckler crosses over to the other side on hit against every character except him.

i know he has a weird hitbox but knowing exactly which combos are likely to drop against him is outside of my knowledge base "unfortunately"

hope y'all thought the weekend went well overall! hashtaghugo

Hey UltraDavid, is the new UFC game from EA considered a fighting game? I feel like its a UFC simulator with hidden mechanics that the players have no control over.

Coda

Hey UltraDavid, is the new UFC game from EA considered a fighting game? I feel like its a UFC simulator with hidden mechanics that the players have no control over.

I remember laughing hysterically at the first UFC game, I played the demo at a friends house on the 360 and just tackling people and continuously punching someone's domepiece was so goofy looking. But that's Yukes for you, wrestling games have never been as good as the Yukes N64 ones as far as I'm concerned.

iUMA2gdFupPsl.gif

I tried to find a gif of it but found this instead. So brutal.

Rotanibor

I'm really inclined to say that 4.B would not float the opponent that long to combo into Hanged Man, anybody would usually just tech out of it. I'll try it later though to double check. Maybe it would make for a funny reset if they could tech downward into the 4.B.

I'm also skeptical they couldn't tech between the gunshot and the 4.B, but it doesn't look as ridiculous as the previous thing.

Dahbomb

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/453257603603128320

Harada maybe making BDC easier in the next Tekken. Sure some folks will be happy about that.
I don't think many people will have a problem with this, at least they aren't removing it.

For comparison, Capcom made wave dashing much easier in MVC3 compared to MVC2. Sure it was made irrelevant later on by plink dashing but at the time it wasn't a big deal when people saw the difference.

Stuff like this doesn't decrease depth... just allows players to get to the meat of the game quicker.

alstein

half the prizes, 1/8 the slots

:p

Melee's not getting 1024 entrants lol

Don't knock MLG prizes. They put up $1500 for VF and Skullgirls once.

And I would have won that $1500 as well, if it wasn't for that damn GentlemanThief deciding to show up and make everyone else there free.

Warpticon

i know he has a weird hitbox but knowing exactly which combos are likely to drop against him is outside of my knowledge base "unfortunately"

I was just happy you finally got to learn Mike "Xi" Weng's name eventually. I was pretty much hysterical as the PEE ECKS GEE ECKS EYE every time you had to call him something.

alstein

I don't think many people will have a problem with this, at least they aren't removing it.

For comparison, Capcom made wave dashing much easier in MVC3 compared to MVC2. Sure it was made irrelevant later on by plink dashing but at the time it wasn't a big deal when people saw the difference.

Stuff like this doesn't decrease depth... just allows players to get to the meat of the game quicker.

What things like this tend to do is allow decent players to have more of a chance against experts, which I don't think is a bad thing. I know when I played Tekken experts, it was really, incredibly frustrating trying to hit them.

This was not a problem with VF- I can hit expert VF players. I just have a hard time not getting hit more, the best players make me look like I graduated from the Ippo school of self-defense.

Shouta

T.hawk vs Akuma, I'm going to have to brush up for this match-up, lol.

And probably some VF too for the side tourny at NWM. >=o

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

MvC3 plink dashing is actually a side-effect of them making dashing more lenient.

IIRC, in MvC2, you had to hit the two buttons on the same frame to get a dash at all. In MvC3, there's a small timing leniency where you can press them slightly apart but still get the dash. That extra leniency is what makes the plink dash possible in the first place.

Basic movement becomes easier, while still rewarding players who are adept at it.

I feel like this is a special circumstance. I am not aware of any other situation where a hitbox makes it hard to perform your hyper combo ender. It's usually the sort of thing where you can just use a less optimized combo.

Dahbomb

MvC3 plink dashing is actually a side-effect of them making dashing more lenient.

IIRC, in MvC2, you had to hit the two buttons on the same frame to get a dash at all. In MvC3, there's a small timing leniency where you can press them slightly apart but still get the dash. That extra leniency is what makes the plink dash possible in the first place.

Basic movement becomes easier, while still rewarding players who are adept at it.

Yea that sounds about right.

Top Bottom