• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 30 - Jan 5 | Rest in peace, Nelson "Remix" Reyes

How many characters need an air dash for it to be anime?

Marvel only has maybe 1/4 of the cast with air dashes. Is that enough?

Injustice has some air dashers. Anime?

Street Fighter has Oni. Anime!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
zlIdKRZ.png

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Injustice just borrowed some stuff from BB but it's by far not an anime game its too fucking clunky.

Street Fighter is the very definition of Traditional fighter.

Marvel is anime as fuck play more fighting games! :p

Not all characters need to have an air dash for it to be "anime" it's based on game flow and the way combos work.

"Anime" fighters are fighters made in Japan that happen to use many conventional "anime" mechanics and art. There can be mixed stuff, but it's just mixed and not anime or western. That is how I see it. It's just easier to call it American, Japanese or European if you ask me.

Keits

Developer
MvC2 has, if I recall correctly, 14 out of 56 characters with air mobility? A few less if you only count an actual air dash. 25%

MvC3 has 23 out of 38 with air mobility. 60%

UMvC3 has 27 out of 50 with air mobility. 54%

Statistically, vanilla was the most anime? (this is a weird discussion)

Injustice just borrowed some stuff from BB but it's by far not an anime game its too fucking clunky.

Street Fighter is the very definition of Traditional fighter.

Marvel is anime as fuck play more fighting games! :p

Not all characters need to have an air dash for it to be "anime" it's based on game flow and the way combos work.
I have played everything this generation except for the really small stuff like Arcana Hearts.

Oni has chain combos and air dashes!

BlazBlue CT was almost as boring and clunky as Injustice!

"Anime" fighters are fighters made in Japan that happen to use many conventional "anime" mechanics. There can be mixed stuff, but it's just mixed and not anime or western. That is how I see it. It's just easier to call it American, Japanese or European if you ask me.
But what is the line?

A definition is poor if it has a gray area.

Busaiku

I've never been to a tournament, but if I had the funds/time/skills to travel to a major, I would easily pay $20 per game. I'm actually surprised it's so cheap honestly. If I wanted to play two or three games, it would be a bit expensive, but I only live close enough to realistically travel to one major, and wouldn't enter more than 2 games anyway. Entry fee plus games I'd go as high as ~$100, but no more than that. Smaller tournaments, I have no idea.

I don't run tournaments, but I'm pretty sure that, by far, the greatest portion of the tournament entrants are always the locals.

MvC2 has, if I recall correctly, 14 out of 56 characters with air mobility? A few less if you only count an actual air dash. 25%

MvC3 has 23 out of 38 with air mobility. 60%

UMvC3 has 27 out of 50 with air mobility. 54%

Statistically, vanilla was the most anime? (this is a weird discussion)
Air mobility is a funky term, since a lot of SF characters have aerial mobility via dive kicks. What is the standard?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The dark secret of fighting games is that it's all anime/manga. Street Fighter's core existence is anime/manga. Super exaggerated moves with names said as they are performed? Anime. Traveling warrior who thinks of nothing but the fight? Give Ryu a tail and he'd be Goku.

Styles diverge because it wasn't all the same to begin with.
You heard it here folks, everything was and always has been anime!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Aquapazza only has one character who can air dash.

At any rate, it's just not black and white. That would be boring.

You heard it here folks, everything was and always has been anime!
Capcom is a Japanese company, so naturally they make games with Japanese influences. Mega Man takes a lot from Astro Boy, for example.

Not that absurd of a claim.

To be clear, I'm not saying that meaningful classifications don't exist, just that such distinctions aren't as segregate as some would like to think.

Except this isn't the case. The October patch helped tremendously. The Black Adam/Superman era is over. Character variety is at an all time high. NEC had a good turnout and was probably the best IGAU tournament yet. Here in Chicago our weekly consistently has 16 entrants and the top 4 players use Bane, Catwoman, Hawkgirl and Scorpion. IGAU is awesome now. This is only true if we're judging the life of a game based on Next Level.

I meant locally outside strong scenes. I have to see how things turn out. I guess its to soon to judge, but hope things work out for the best.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Crouch dashes and plink dashes are a blight that should be removed from fighting games. Just give your characters a run

I highly disagree.

Plink dashes and the freedom of movement they give is one of my favourite things in a fighter in a long long time.

Not saying every fighter should have them but it's nice to have variety. :)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I highly disagree.

Plink dashes and the freedom of movement they give is one of my favourite things in a fighter in a long long time.

Not saying every fighter should have them but it's nice to have variety. :)
What freedom? They don't give freedom... they take away freedom :l

It might feel like they do because of the systems in place, but they are just there to break the rules of that. It's basically giving your character a run option but having to mash a bunch of shit just to run.

Keits

Developer
Air mobility is a funky term, since a lot of SF characters have aerial mobility via dive kicks. What is the standard?

I didn't count divekicks or double jumps.

I counted airdashing (8 way, 4 way, 2 way, 1 way) and flight modes, as well as non-conventional air dashing (Spencer zip line, Spiderman zip line (he can also airdash though)), but I didn't count forward-moving air attacks (Taskmaster swing)

What freedom? They don't give freedom... they take away freedom :l

Incorrect. They give unintended freedom in MvC3.

vocab

Plink dashes is not freedom. It's a barrier that makes freedom harder. mvc2 had freedom, a little too much of it for some characters. MVC3 has these restrictions to put the shackles on characters like magneto.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

I worded that badly, I built up on what I said. I ment they are because of the systems in MvC3 being limited by default and pink dashing breaks that default the game has. There is no need for them if the game gives you freedom of movement by default.

Wut

If by almost you mean 5x less clunky sure :p
Woah, it is even slower than I remember...

I didn't count divekicks or double jumps.

I counted airdashing (8 way, 4 way, 2 way, 1 way) and flight modes, as well as non-conventional air dashing (Spencer zip line, Spiderman zip line (he can also airdash though)), but I didn't count forward-moving air attacks (Taskmaster swing)

How is it unintended when the developers know about it and left it in between versions? It becomes intentional at that point IMO.

Thanks for your criteria.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yup, goes to show how much of an upgrade BBCP is

CT is faster than CS though... bbcp is faster than both by a big margin. Sadly nothing is faster than GG. Double air dashes at the speed of light Kreygasm
Taokaka is faster than GG :p

GG's speed specially in comparison to BBCP is generally vastly exaggerated

The thing about BB is the stages are a bit bigger so the travel times for stuff can make things seem like they are slower/taking longer with the character spacing

Keits

Developer

How is it unintended when the developers know about it and left it in between versions? It becomes intentional at that point IMO.

Thanks for your criteria.

Good and fair point. They may have been unintended, discovered by QA, and left in vanilla because a designer liked them for whatever reason for all we know.

There is stuff in Divekick that was unintentional, we found, we liked, and we kept. It happens.

I guess its pretty ambiguous at that point if you get to call it unintentional or not.

There are two types of "freedom" in fighters if you ask me. The first is the kind where the options are all laid out regardless of how complex they are. This doesn't tend to go over well with the casuals, but a pro will use the flexibility to make craziness happen. The second is freedom in the form of customization and subtle (sometimes not so subtle) mechanics that push you gently towards figuring out how you want to play.

Edit: I went off on my own tangent. Yeah, MvC2 and Melee are the KINGS of "unintended" freedom. The outcomes are different, though. Capcom just put it all out there and stared in amazement at all the care people put into it whereas Sakurai seemingly recoiled in horror at how technical Smash could become in the right hands.

Dahbomb

Plink dashes is not freedom. It's a barrier that makes freedom harder. mvc2 had freedom, a little too much of it for some characters. MVC3 has these restrictions to put the shackles on characters like magneto.
Wave dashing is actually way harder in MVC2 than MVC3.

You have perfectly legit mobility in the game without ever using plink dashing. A player like Yipes performs his mobility the hard way ie. without plink dashing.

It's the same thing as wave dashing/back step cancels in Tekken only its less of a requirement in Marvel 3 to learn.

Also it's not really known if plink dashing is unintended or not. My bet is that it was unintended and once it was figured out it was put in the category of "cool trick, better to leave it as is than remove it".

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Didn't SFA have the whole chain combo thing down before DS?

or are we confusing chain combos with dial-a-combos
Dail a combo = Mk or Tekken stuff

SFA1 had some chains and stuff yeah but later games in the series got rid of them. Darkstalkers was the one to expand upon it and make it a staple.

Chain simply means you can cancel an attack into another normal attack.

Sayah

I'm wondering if any other fighter besides TTT2 and SFXTK have sandwich combos.

I can fathom a tag fighter where sandwich combos could be a huge part of the mechanics. The balance would need to be there but it could end up being one of the most hype things ever and a really great mechanic.

Then again, I also wonder if the devs for TTT2 and SFXTK intended sandwich combos to even be there.

Edit: Actually, as I've recently learned, UMvC3 also has this mechanic if you use that two-character glitch.

Would be really interesting if such a thing was allowed with reasonable balance.

Top Bottom