• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI isn't really impressing? Has Chrono Trigger ruined JRPGs for me?

ethomaz

Banned
The opposite FFVI is way more impressive than CT.

That not saying in any way CT is not good or impressive but what they archived with FFVI in the SNES hardware is until today shocking.

BTW try Dragon Quest and we can start to talk about classics ;)

Even the music is kind of bizarre - solemn map music or dramatic scenes, suddenly jolted into excitable fights, with a goofy fanfare and then back to solemn or dramatics. The tone is all over the place.

OP is dead to me.

Chrono Trigger failed in the character development and storytelling so it will never beat FFVI for me, and its pretty short. The combat and art was excellent, but I was never really attached to it.

ZangBa

FFVI just isn't that impressive overall, I suspect nostalgia has a lot to do with it being so well regarded because it certainly doesn't excel in gameplay, while the plot is a bit boring with a dumb villian and meh characters. Ultros is cool, though.

I'm not the biggest fan of Chrono Trigger, but as a JRPG it completely shits on FFVI in every way. To be fair to FFVI though, CT is a whole tier of quality higher than any of the SNES FF games. FFV's gameplay is the only exception, which is better than CT's and most of the FF series.

CT is really uniquely designed and excels for it, FFVI feels the most run of mill of the series at its point.

redcrayon

I didn't play either until the GBA release of FFVI and the DS release of Chrono Trigger (or the DS version of DQV, none came out here on the SNES), but I slightly prefer FFVI to CT, and vastly prefer DQV to both. All great games though.

Taruranto

FFVI just doesn't hold up too well these days, whereas CT does. Don't write off every JRPG just yet because of one badly aged title.

? Why is that? Most late SNES RPG hold fairly well today, especially compared to some early PS1 stuff. Unless you really hate random encounters.

Bolivar687

Banned
It's not necessarily fair to judge it's merits against Chrono Trigger but I can understand the contrast between the two because Chrono Trigger is a much better game in my opinion.

Final Fantasy VI is incredibly ambitious, it deserves immense credit for the sheer scope and diversity of its cast, plot threads, character mechanics, and events. But it's largely held back by the clunkiness of its presentation and controls, the disjointed, conflicting nature of which the OP nailed pretty astutely here.

It's overrated, fueled in part by the backlash to the impact FFVII made on gaming when it released, as well as the prestige it maintained for many years. Console bias played a part in that.

ethomaz

Banned
What FFVI do better than CT:

- Story
- Characters
- Music
- World and locations
- Villian

What CT do better than FFVI:

- Graphics
- Battle system
- Magus

I've always found FFVI to be more impressive than CT.

FFVI just feels grander. Town exploration is one of my favourite things in RPGs and CT really half asses it there. CT is tighter designed and more briskly paced but I prefer the multi-layered approach to FFVI and the numerous themes it covers over the course of the adventure.

I don't know OP, I think you may just not like FF VI. I'd say it holds up incredibly well.

That said, Chrono Trigger really is a million times better so it's possible that it did set your expectations too high for FF VI. But to be fair, CT is significantly better than almost any other game you could compare it to. It's my GOAT, straight up. Comparing FF VI to it isn't really fair, even though it's an appropriate comparison.

Lynx_7

CT, FF VI and DQ V are the holy triad of SNES RPGs as far as I'm concerned, but I can understand why someone wouldn't be that impressed by FF VI nowadays. To be fair, the game didn't "click" with me either until I replayed it years later.

If you're more of a gameplay person, FF V is the most fun I've had with a FF battle system. I would recommend the GBA port though, as the localization adds a lot of charm to the characters. Despite people saying the story is bad, I actually really enjoyed how tongue in cheek the whole thing was. The game never takes itself too seriously, something pretty refreshing for a FF title. It also has, contrary to popular opinion, memorable character moments, specially concerning a couple characters' deaths.

Khrno

FFVI is the best RPG ever, Chrono Trigger the second best.

FFVII nearly ruined RPGs for me, but I simply got over it and I just put all the blame on Cloud and think he is a twat, so all it's good.

Btw, FFXII is the best third RPG ever.

hzsn724

Nothing compares to your first. Jrpgs are no different. Just because someone says it's amazing doesn't mean it is for you. Chrono Trigger is one of the most unique experiences you'll ever have. Final Fantasy VI is my favorite FF, but it's by no means my fav game. It's the sixth game in the series and at the time those moments of saving Cid, waiting for Shadow, watching the Espers die... was far ahead of anything I had experienced. But that was a long time ago and the game doesnt really hold up. That story tho.. it was the only time an enemy actually won in FF.

- Story
- Characters
- Music
- World and locations
- Villian

- Graphics
- Battle system
- Magus

The fuck

3bJj6iQ.jpg

guyssorry

CT and. FF6 are the two best rpgs I've ever played. FF6 has the best soundtrack, its presentation is fantastic, and the caharacters and villain are great. It also has the best final battle I've ever seen. 7 and 8, while both great, are huge messes in comparison that have ridiculously try-hard, way-too-convoluted plots. 7 is way too slow and confusing. It's ok if you aren't into a certain game. Plenty of "great" games that I dislike. At least you enjoyed CT. It's certainly a once-in-a-lifetime game

Valentus

Final Fantasy VII is the Gundam Wing of RPGs in North America (many people think is the best one because is the final fantasy that inducted them to the final fantasy universe and rpgs in general)

FFIX is good but the combat system (the original version) is slow as sin. I barely finished it in my first play

FFVI was the perfect storm, the pinnacle of the series. I agree the game has aged bad (because the game abuses of SNES mode 7 and that thing is fucking ugly to see now) but the music, the story and even the battle system are just as good as the 90s today.

Crono Trigger is another amazing game, just enjoy both.

The argument that a SNES RPG hasn't aged well is just ridiculous. Most video games "don't age well."

Any playthrough of a retro game today has to have the mentality behind it of experiencing it for what it was back when it was originally released. You almost have to put yourself into a certain mindset.

A SNES RPG has sprites that don't convey very much emotion? So did every other SNES RPG.

At times a corny translation that causes disparate tones in particular parts? Welcome to the early 90s.

A style that's hard to determine at times whether or not to take it seriously? Hello, 90s JRPGs.

If you don't like it, you don't like it, but holding any game from the early 90s to our standards in 2017 is just asking for disappointment.

That said: Final Fantasy VI is the greatest RPG of all time.

Stopdoor

The argument that a SNES RPG hasn't aged well is just ridiculous. Most video games "don't age well."

Any playthrough of a retro game today has to have the mentality behind it of experiencing it for what it was back when it was originally released. You almost have to put yourself into a certain mindset.

A SNES RPG has sprites that don't convey very much emotion? So did every other SNES RPG.

At times a corny translation that causes disparate tones in particular parts? Welcome to the early 90s.

A style that's hard to determine at times whether or not to take it seriously? Hello, 90s JRPGs.

If you don't like it, you don't like it, but holding any game from the early 90s to our standards in 2017 is just asking for disappointment.

That said: Final Fantasy VI is the greatest RPG of all time.

But

I spent literally the entire thread comparing it to a contemporary of its time, Chrono Trigger

???

Kenai

- Story
- Characters
- Music
- World and locations
- Villian

- Graphics
- Battle system
- Magus

I prefer FFVI to CT but CT has Corridors of Time, probably the single best vg tune of that decade.

FFVI probably doesn't age as well as FF6, but it broke a lot of new ground that led to stuff considered standard in FF and RPGs in general today. Limit breaks, (extremely) non-linear 2nd half while maintaining a story, a large and diverse cast with actual backstories, hidden playable characters, a villain who actually succeeds, a lot of that stuff just wasn't around prior.

It's fine to like CT more cause it's an amazing game, but you better give FF6 respect if nothing else.

Khrno

I prefer FFVI to CT but CT has Corridors of Time, probably the single best vg tune of that decade.

No way dude, Aria di Mezzo Carattere is the best song in a videogame ever, and the opera scene is the most memorable of any videogame.

I guess im just too far gone. I have a lot of trouble understanding someone who likes Chrono Trigger but not FF6.

FF6 is a true masterpiece. I play it yearly.

DJ_Lae

I love both games, but FF6 is definitely rougher around the edges than Chrono Trigger, from the clunkier controls and graphics to its often plodding pace.

It has its own charm, however, mostly with the characters, much of the story, and the music. It just requires a bit of a slog to get through, but that's maybe not the fairest comparison as Chrono Trigger is still one of the best paced JRPGs out there.

Kenai

You lost me here.

Random encounters is a big one if nothing else. Grid based movements is also a more objectively dated design. I can't think of anything comparable in CT.

No way dude, Aria di Mezzo Carattere is the best song in a videogame ever, and the opera scene is the most memorable of any videogame.

The opera scene, while amazing, ain't about the song itself. It's the whole package with Ultros and Setzer and Celes being fabulous in a dress.

And I know GAF is just plain wrong about a lot of stuff, but I'm pretty sure Corridors of Time won a big, big soundtrack face off here. I repeat, I love FF6, more than Chrono Trigger, but I'm not gonna be surprised if a younger fan goes for CT, it's aged a lot more gracefully.

Haganeren

I-I don't agree at all. I actually don't care about bad UI or whatnot, those are about confort, not the actual depth of the game. Yes, maybe it can spoil your fun or something but that's all. Actually, it's not even that hard to remember : The game have a different system for each character, that's it, that's all. For someone it's some kind of "blue mage" thing, for another it's street fighter input (always loved that one), for yet another it's waiting for a certain time.

FFVI is "all over the place" indeed, it has a lot of different tone which is why i love it, serious tone when the moment seemed funny or funny tone when the moment seemed serious is one of my favorite thing ever personally. Maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea but i think people where more open to that kind of thing before... And that's too bad. There is even some people who said that FFVI was "generic"... What ? GENERIC ? I mean, you go from castle who go under the sand to phantom train to a ruined world by a clown and maybe you saved a ninja before that. No no, maybe you can say it's STUPID or CONFUSING but generic, i just don't understand that opinion.

I actually loved the diversity of FFVI and feel like it's incredibly missing nowadays. That being said i can understand that it can be hard to follow for some people. Maybe Chrono Trigger have a better pacing for example. But even if it's hard to follow, FFVI have a little story for each one of his protagonist which always get to me. The number of unique scene is incredible and i would argue that the world of ruins is treated better than a lot of game. For example in Shin Megami Tensei 3 you don't really know the world you were in before it is destroyed, in Chrono Trigger, you can always return to the present. But the World of Ruins is way different and the fact that you have to search your friend which maybe are doing something completely different was very novel and incredible to me.

... On the opposite side, Chrono Trigger, for me, is a "fine" game. It was cool, i played it back in the day and found it quite fun, a very colorful adventure with an incredible music... But... I don't have a lot to say about it. Chrono is quite generic, Marle is just another female character and the rest of the cast is actually quite good but it doesn't come close to FFVI uniqueness.

For me, Chrono Trigger is more consistant than FFVI... But i always preferred wacky world so i love FFVI (and VII) for that reason.

PS : FFV was very underhyped back in the day and it's a fun adventure even today with the best battle system of the whole FInal Fantasy serie in my opinion. (Until Bravely Default... But this game fucked up)

FFVI probably doesn't age as well as FF6, but it broke a lot of new ground that led to stuff considered standard in FF and RPGs in general today. Limit breaks, (extremely) non-linear 2nd half while maintaining a story, a large and diverse cast with actual backstories, hidden playable characters, a villain who actually succeeds, a lot of that stuff just wasn't around prior.

It's fine to like CT more cause it's an amazing game, but you better give FF6 respect if nothing else.

So did Lavos... He destroyed civilization in Prehistory, in Antiquity, and in 1999 A.D.

Kefka's reign didn't even last a year, lol.

Haganeren

So did Lavos... He destroyed civilization in Prehistory, in Antiquity, and in 1999 A.D.

Kefka's reign didn't even last a year, lol.

There is a lot more personality with Kefka's Reign and treatment than Lavos which is more treated like "the ultimate bad guy" more than anything else... It's very shonesque now that i think about it.
It's not a "bad thing" but i'm sure this is why Kefka's Reign is saw as "darker" than anything from Lavos.

Kenai

There is a lot more personality with Kefka's Reign and treatment than Lavos which is more treated like "the ultimate bad guy" more than anything else... It's very shonesque now that i think about it.

Yea Lavos had no personality. Was a force of nature and all but nothing complex about him/her/it at all.

If you threw in Magus/the Royal family/the monster race it gets a lot more interesting but so does all of the FF6 supporting cast.

Edit: Also thanks to time travel shenanigans the world ended up "good ending" in CT (no don't ask me about CC, cause I ain't going down that hole). Even after winning there's still no magic or Espers that can remain in the FF6 world, Kefka scarred it permanently.

Top Bottom