• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Reaches 30 Million Players

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
MMOs are a dying genre begging for innovation.

Gachas have replaced MMOs. They're even more efficient in sucking the money out of the players.

Quixz

I've been actively avoiding this game cause it looks very fun and I don't have the time to play.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I've been actively avoiding this game cause it looks very fun and I don't have the time to play.
It's definitely worthwhile, but yeah it took me 500 hours to clear the main story through Endwalker.

It's one of my favorite games though. Love the world, love the characters. Love the story.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
The story is something that I didn't think possible in an MMO. One of the best stories in gaming tbh.
30 million players doesn't surprise me.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The story is something that I didn't think possible in an MMO. One of the best stories in gaming tbh.
Dragon Quest X also has an excellent story. But to be honest, it's very much a DQ first and an MMO second.

Fan translation is quality AF.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

The story is fantastic. Gameplay is also less focused on an endless treadmill and more for giving the player some things to do if they like after the story is complete and to hang out in a shared social world with friends, but also actively encourages players to just unsub until new content drops if they don't have anything they want to do.

This is healthy design, but some folks will constantly bemoan anything related to it and act like the earlier content was infinitely better because... reasons.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Maybe more than that. You need a separate license for each platform.

PS3
PS4/5
PC
Mac
Xbox (soon)

That's potentially counting people 5 times.

They are counting accounts made, not licenses purchased. An account can hold licenses for all the platforms, but it still only counts as one account.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Those people didn't play 1.0

You would be surprised how many people I have met that claim 1.0 was better. Usually because they have a hate boner for Yoshi P. Some stretch it to 2.0 or 3.0 just because they want reasons to whine about the director or because they think FFXI is the best and want reasons to disparage the "new" MMO that took its place.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You would be surprised how many people I have met that claim 1.0 was better. Usually because they have a hate boner for Yoshi P. Some stretch it to 2.0 or 3.0 just because they want reasons to whine about the director or because they think FFXI is the best and want reasons to disparage the "new" MMO that took its place.
1.0 was so broken at launch even Raph Koster would say "Dude..."

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Same. I bought it last year, played 20hrs, and realized how much time I’d be investing.

My plan is to get back into it later this month.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
2 different games. One is a FF game and the other is a WoW Clone. The WoW Clone is wildly more successful due to the streamlined experience. XIV at it's core is a very casual game outside of masochistic raid scene. FFXI is a lot harder to get into but has all the RPG elements one could ask for as well as a world that feels lived in.

You can log off XIV and not miss anything because when you log off nothing happens until you log back in.

Lorewise 1.0 is better but as far as the game itself it wasn't great. The turnaround with 2.0 is where XIV spiked and started to gain ground. And now it's the best selling Final Fantasy to date. But at what cost? I can tell you right now the world building in XIV leaves much to be desired. It's very story driven and after that you have nothing left but the different "attractions" that you wait in line for like a real theme park.

I'd imagine people would have less of a hate boner if the community wasn't so wishy washy and didn't stoop to Celebrity worship of Yoshi P. But they do so here we are.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
2 different games. One is a FF game and the other is a WoW Clone. The WoW Clone is wildly more successful due to the streamlined experience. XIV at it's core is a very casual game outside of masochistic raid scene. FFXI is a lot harder to get into but has all the RPG elements one could ask for as well as a world that feels lived in.
Both games are Final Fantasy games. Both have plenty of RPG elements, just integrated in different ways for different audiences. Diverse gameplay and alterations of RPG mechanics have been a thing in this franchise ever since Final Fantasy II altered its leveling scheme and Final Fantasy III added jobs. This is nothing new.

As for a "world that feels lived in", both games offer that in spades.

You can log off XIV and not miss anything because when you log off nothing happens until you log back in.
Not quite. There are events that continuously are ongoing and change the world itself. From the Ishgardian Restoration to the Doman Enclave, or how certain settlements would grow and change over multiple patches, starting from a simple camp to a full fortified structure. The world continuously evolves and grows even while you are not there.

Lorewise 1.0 is better but as far as the game itself it wasn't great. The turnaround with 2.0 is where XIV spiked and started to gain ground. And now it's the best selling Final Fantasy to date. But at what cost? I can tell you right now the world building in XIV leaves much to be desired. It's very story driven and after that you have nothing left but the different "attractions" that you wait in line for like a real theme park.
The world building in FFXIV is one of its strong points and has been for a large majority of players, to the point that the lore books were often sold out for months on end, including the latest which sold out almost instantly, until a new print run was ordered.

I'd imagine people would have less of a hate boner if the community wasn't so wishy washy and didn't stoop to Celebrity worship of Yoshi P. But they do so here we are.
You are only further proving my point. People would be far happier if they, instead of harping on things they dislike and outright hate, moved onto things they enjoyed and discussed the things they love. It is easy to fall into that negativity spiral, heck I have done the same with certain franchises - but all that does is leave you more miserable than when you started.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Both games are Final Fantasy games. Both have plenty of RPG elements, just integrated in different ways for different audiences. Diverse gameplay and alterations of RPG mechanics have been a thing in this franchise ever since Final Fantasy II altered its leveling scheme and Final Fantasy III added jobs. This is nothing new.

As for a "world that feels lived in", both games offer that in spades.

Not quite. There are events that continuously are ongoing and change the world itself. From the Ishgardian Restoration to the Doman Enclave, or how certain settlements would grow and change over multiple patches, starting from a simple camp to a full fortified structure. The world continuously evolves and grows even while you are not there.

The world building in FFXIV is one of its strong points and has been for a large majority of players, to the point that the lore books were often sold out for months on end, including the latest which sold out almost instantly, until a new print run was ordered.

You are only further proving my point. People would be far happier if they, instead of harping on things they dislike and outright hate, moved onto things they enjoyed and discussed the things they love. It is easy to fall into that negativity spiral, heck I have done the same with certain franchises - but all that does is leave you more miserable than when you started.
I'd rather people enjoy both FFXI and FFXIV but also admit that both games aren't perfect. And not foam at the mouth when either one is mentioned.

Ishgardian Restoration and the Doman Enclave are not something you observe in the game world. It's in a separate room or instance and disconnected from the game world. Or you complete a quest and it magically gets better. You aren't seeing it actually happen. Just a load screen.

Lorebooks speak of content that isn't presented by and large in the game itself and is supplemental material. Information in these books can have the possibility of never showing up ingame.

If you want to claim World Building is prominent outside of MSQ I'd like to hear it since I've not seen much of it with my 1000+ hours of play beginning at 3.0 launch.

If there is negativity it's more that XIV can be better then it is and I'd like that to happen. My main caveats are "system" based and unfortunately I think the game is designed in such an obtuse way that they are stuck with what they got. If they took steps to improve the gearing system I might lay off the criticism but I feel after Endwalker I am quite jaded.

Maybe Dawntrail will turn things around but the game seems to get simpler and simpler and seems to drop the plot or forget about it conveniently to move things forward.

MAU or just overall? Because for overall it does not look that impressive to be honest considering that this MMO is one of the biggest.

Last edited:
MMOs are a dying genre begging for innovation.

Gachas have replaced MMOs. They're even more efficient in sucking the money out of the players.
utena-hiiragi-whip.gif

Top Bottom