• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE FINALS reaches 10 million players

Hugare

Too late. Game already made it. It's in the red.
Pathetic way of thinking, imo

So ok, good for the devs, they made bank. But for fans that love the game, paid for cosmetics and etc., I believe that they do care about the game lasting more than 6 months.

This is not a singleplayer experience. Online games are meant to last, specially GAAS.
The most successful online games have lasted years, some even decades.

I cant understand your mentality. I know that you are the biggest GAAS defender on this forum, but not seeing the problem with this makes you seem like a caricature, thinking more about the devs than the players.

This "dont care if the game will last more than a month, I made bank" mentality would saturate the market even more, make players more cautious of buying cosmetics, and make them more averse of new games from small/medium devs.

Luipadre

Im getting so tired of the stun gun and they even buffed it. Its the most stupid gadget. No counter, if they catch you from behind you are dead. Im only playing bank it and 70% of the players there are light with these stupid shit. Sigh

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Pathetic way of thinking, imo

So ok, good for the devs, they made bank. But for fans that love the game, paid for cosmetics and etc., I believe that they do care about the game lasting more than 6 months.

This is not a singleplayer experience. Online games are meant to last, specially GAAS.
The most successful online games have lasted years, some even decades.

I cant understand your mentality. I know that you are the biggest GAAS defender on this forum, but not seeing the problem with this makes you seem like a caricature, thinking more about the devs than the players.

This "dont care if the game will last more than a month, I made bank" mentality would saturate the market even more, make players more cautious of buying cosmetics, and make them more averse of new games from small/medium devs.

Wrong.

If The Finals doesn't last more than a year, it will be because the majority of it's players stopped playing it. In other words, it will be because the majority of players stopped caring.

I already put 60 hours into The Finals. It's my 2nd most played game of 2023. If I stop playing it soon, it will still be my 2023 GotY. They can yank the game off the servers when I'm finished. I won't be upset in the slightest.

Just got on this train and I must say I got pretty hooked. I usually stay away from any f2p games but thought Id give this a try and it does feel different to others. I just dont like that the grenade is linked to the user wheel instead of like LR2 so im still not used to quickly equiping it.

Luipadre

Just got on this train and I must say I got pretty hooked. I usually stay away from any f2p games but thought Id give this a try and it does feel different to others. I just dont like that the grenade is linked to the user wheel instead of like LR2 so im still not used to quickly equiping it.

You'll get used to it in no time. its just weird at first

I’ve given this more than a fair shake now, and I just can’t get into it. I think it’s probably just that I can’t stomach the aesthetics, but everything just feels ”off” somehow. Still hope it doesn’t die, but that’s just because I would hate for Embark to die.

Luipadre

I’ve given this more than a fair shake now, and I just can’t get into it. I think it’s probably just that I can’t stomach the aesthetics, but everything just feels ”off” somehow. Still hope it doesn’t die, but that’s just because I would hate for Embark to die.

I think this game is unique enough to not die out anytime soon. It wont be a top 3 title, but look at games like hunt showdown for example. Its 5 years old and still at around 30k concurrent players every day on PC. This will land in the same ballpark imo

BlueAlpaca

Put a few hours into this game and I still don't know whether I like it. It's fun sometimes but god, I'm doing so much running all over the big maps to get to the interest points, and the stairs, the stairs! the verticality in this game is too much and the destruction makes it even worse.

Put a few hours into this game and I still don't know whether I like it. It's fun sometimes but god, I'm doing so much running all over the big maps to get to the interest points, and the stairs, the stairs! the verticality in this game is too much and the destruction makes it even worse.
Hookshots and jumpads my man

But you're right, especially on korea...

It's fun sometimes but god, I'm doing so much running all over the big maps to get to the interest points, and the stairs, the stairs! the verticality in this game is too much and the destruction makes it even worse.
The verticality is what makes it so good though. Being able to get onto rooftops, go into any building, blow holes in walls, floors and ceilings to create opportunities is awesome. You also need to make use of movement abilities like jump pads, grappling hook, ziplines, etc. It doesn't take that long at all to get back into the action.

BlueAlpaca

WOW This game is so much better after the learning curve, I'm absolutely loving it! Such a shame it's a small team, they need to add more modes and maps. I'm doing my part - just put in twenty bucks to support the game.

The verticality is what makes it so good though. Being able to get onto rooftops, go into any building, blow holes in walls, floors and ceilings to create opportunities is awesome. You also need to make use of movement abilities like jump pads, grappling hook, ziplines, etc. It doesn't take that long at all to get back into the action.

Yes, it just takes some getting used it. I still think the tall buildings should be a floor or two shorter.

Luipadre

Much needed aim assist changes. Tried it after the update, still got 11 kills and feels like i can finally control my aim better because of the much less agressive magnetism, so overall good changes

GDkOp27bQAAgDec

Even as a light player, I feel that the lack of activation and cooldown time on cloak is OP. Maybe it’s different at higher levels, but I can see this murdering the game if they don’t rethink it. It feels like Wraith during first season of Apex. 🫤

OverHeat

« generous god »
Much needed aim assist changes. Tried it after the update, still got 11 kills and feels like i can finally control my aim better because of the much less agressive magnetism, so overall good changes

GDkOp27bQAAgDec
With my wooting KYB I still have aim assist wtf

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Even as a light player, I feel that the lack of activation and cooldown time on cloak is OP. Maybe it’s different at higher levels, but I can see this murdering the game if they don’t rethink it. It feels like Wraith during first season of Apex. 🫤

I've been reading the subreddit the last few weeks and it does seem like the L class struggles at the higher skill levels. That's the general consensus over there.

This is one of the few multiplayer games where I don't know where they could go in terms of new content. It might do well to add a duo mode and to fix The Finals match (1 team vs 1 team) as that feels a little underwhelming. Outside of basic maps + balancing, not sure what else they could do.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Favorite weapon/gadget in the entire game is the explosive mines. As a heavy I'll throw down some barricades in a corner and put the mines down. 9 times out of 10 a trash Cloak + Stun gun Light player will take the bait.

Plus I constantly get kills with them by hiding them near doors and closing them. The amount of times I've thrown mines down and gotten a kill seconds later is getting ridiculous.

Also Bank It is still the best mode. Needs capture the flag though.

BlueAlpaca

There needs to be a solo Bank It mode, it's hard to stick to your team and running into full enemy ones is brutal.

Last edited:
According to the official Discord there is a large update coming this week. Hopefully some things get tuned up and others down. Still playing daily and enjoying it for the most part but it needs a good balance patch.

Umbral

I feel you on the aesthetics. It’s repellent. I cannot stand it. I’ve never before had a game be so garish and ugly that I wouldn’t continue playing it.

Last edited:

BlueAlpaca

What is the point of fighting for the cashbox, running like a dog and chased by half a dozen enemies, only for it to be stolen? There has to be a change, maybe an advantage for the team that inserts the box - harder to steal first time perhaps.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Whenever I feel like my team isn't skilled (we lose 2 team fights handedly), I try to go to the cash out boxes and set up an ambush. I'll try to get my rando teammates to come too.

I hide my little mines and set up my turret so the incoming players won't suspect a thing. I want them running into the room far enough so they can't escape.

I swear to God...90% of the time...my teammates will camp with me until the other team gets close and then their brain shuts off and they poke out and shoot at the enemy well before they're close to the kill box.

It's both frustrating and fascinating to see how consistently they do this.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
That’s…not a flop.

Games that average that many concurrent players generally receive updates for years…because those games are profitable.
https://steamcharts.com/app/2073850

Game is on course to be dead in a month or two. 35% player base loss just in a month.

20K players now.

It’ll be on suicide squad life support soon.

adfkXJs.png

Last edited:

Arsic

Ubisofts For Honor is still getting updates (because it's profitable). Go check the concurrent user numbers there and post back here once you learn something.

We'll wait.
Ah. Apples and oranges. My two favorite fruit.

Having a small skeleton crew at work on For Honor is no issues. Also this game has been out for years with a paid box product, discounts , free weekends, allowed to be on gamepass etc, and doesn’t require much work at all at this point. A different monetization model where they made a ton up front.

Now we have the finals. How big is their team? How large is the cost to their servers compared to Ubi backed $ servers? How much are they making off cosmetics to keep their employees paid versus ubi just reallocating folks into other projects to scale down?

Apples and oranges. 🤡

Edit: I should add it’s continuing to trend down, so it hasn’t stabilized yet. However, a better comparison may be something like another F2P title that isnt a mega hit but I can’t think of any.

A paid product like Hunt showdown works off 10-20k player base but there’s an up front cost to likely offset, and crytek has other avenues for income. This studio for the finals is brand new, right?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Ubisofts For Honor is still getting updates (because it's profitable). Go check the concurrent user numbers there and post back here once you learn something.

We'll wait.
Updates is the keyword. Well, and if they're good updates. The same thing could happen here, but it depends on how it's all handled. But the drop off is definitely noticeable. The bringing folks back and then some part will be the interesting part.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Ah. Apples and oranges. My two favorite fruit.

Having a small skeleton crew at work on For Honor is no issues. Also this game has been out for years with a paid box product, discounts , free weekends, allowed to be on gamepass etc, and doesn’t require much work at all at this point. A different monetization model where they made a ton up front.

Now we have the finals. How big is their team? How large is the cost to their servers compared to Ubi backed $ servers? How much are they making off cosmetics to keep their employees paid versus ubi just reallocating folks into other projects to scale down?

Apples and oranges. 🤡

Edit: I should add it’s continuing to trend down, so it hasn’t stabilized yet. However, a better comparison may be something like another F2P title that isnt a mega hit but I can’t think of any.

A paid product like Hunt showdown works off 10-20k player base but there’s an up front cost to likely offset, and crytek has other avenues for income. This studio for the finals is brand new, right?

You've already compared apples and oranges though. Or perhaps apple's to flux capacitors...

Apples: The Finals
Flux Capacitors: Your arbitrary and unclear metrics for commercial success.

At least I stayed in the fruit family.

Why is 20+k concurrent on Steam (and who knows how much on console) considered a failure? What is the threshold you want us to believe constitutes a success?

If you look at Steamcharts for 30 seconds you'll see a ton of games with between 3k - 5k concurrent players that are still being supported by their developers with frequent updates.

The Finals seems to be flying high.

Arsic

You've already compared apples and oranges though. Or perhaps apple's to flux capacitors...

Apples: The Finals
Flux Capacitors: Your arbitrary and unclear metrics for commercial success.

At least I stayed in the fruit family.

Why is 20+k concurrent on Steam (and who knows how much on console) considered a failure? What is the threshold you want us to believe constitutes a success?

If you look at Steamcharts for 30 seconds you'll see a ton of games with between 3k - 5k concurrent players that are still being supported by their developers with frequent updates.

The Finals seems to be flying high.

I’ll break it down for you in easy to digest points.

-Look at where it started as of this thread to now. The drop off is MASSIVE.
-This is a new development team. Right? Which means the collateral needed to pay for server costs, bring out content , etc to retain and bring back may be too costly because of the lack of funding from previous work, big publisher bucks, or some other revenue stream. Is it enough?
-The game is not DONE declining. I’m showing you what’s happened in less than 2 months.

If you want to champion the game is a success and will be around for years of support, go for it, because I don’t see it happening unless perhaps they have only a studio of 3 working on maintaining the game and a whole separate team focused on a new project with funding. Or they get bought out etc.

The haters need to move on already. I'm still playing the game on a daily basis and can find matches here in Australia within 60 seconds. The game isn't going to die. I haven't played a shooter this exciting or engaging in a long time. Not much compares right now. Yes go ahead and quote me higher numbers for worse games but quantity doesn't mean quality.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I’ll break it down for you in easy to digest points.

-Look at where it started as of this thread to now. The drop off is MASSIVE.
-This is a new development team. Right? Which means the collateral needed to pay for server costs, bring out content , etc to retain and bring back may be too costly because of the lack of funding from previous work, big publisher bucks, or some other revenue stream. Is it enough?
-The game is not DONE declining. I’m showing you what’s happened in less than 2 months.

If you want to champion the game is a success and will be around for years of support, go for it, because I don’t see it happening unless perhaps they have only a studio of 3 working on maintaining the game and a whole separate team focused on a new project with funding. Or they get bought out etc.
I'll make this even MORE simple for YOU!

You can reread the post you responded to because you didn't address any of my points.

Or you can read this...

Call me the GAAS Rabbi.

manfestival

Totally agree with men in boxes. I do think he is right here. I may have a bias since I play the game myself quite often but this is far from dead. In fact I find that the game is doing fantastic considering the developer and whatnot

Phase

Just looked at steamdb and wow it dropped off a lot. For those who play, why is this? Lack of content? Bad changes?

Arsic

I'll make this even MORE simple for YOU!

You can reread the post you responded to because you didn't address any of my points.

Or you can read this...

Call me the GAAS Rabbi.

My post responded to all your point. If inferring is too hard, that’s on you.

Maybe the Rabbi needs to hit the “tome” that is my post, to find some spiritual guidance or at least see the points I’m making.

Repeated again:

You think 20K is good. If it maintained 20K for years on end up with continuous support — you’re right. However, if we are reading the insane decline this game keeps having then it isn’t done dropping yet.

What do I deem successful? Games that are able to cover their costs of operation and employment, while delivering fresh content to keep players engaged and draw in new players.

People kept praising this game as the next big shooter phenomenon like Apex Legends for example. It isn’t that in the slightest. That game is a powerhouse of success.

Can finals remain profitable for them? Sure. What’s that number for them? I don’t know. But in the heavy competitive market of shooter games I don’t think where this game is headed… my prediction of 3-5K active users, will be enough unless there’s some major whales buying the cosmetics etc.

As for your point specifically of other games have those numbers. What are the most comparable to share? What’s another F2P FPS that is successful you think for the last few years with 3-5K concurrent players. Then maybe I can see your point and reevaluate if this game has a fighting chance, and also rethink my own perception of successful or not in the current gaming climate.

—-

If the game stops bleeding players it has a chance.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
My post responded to all your point. If inferring is too hard, that’s on you.

Maybe the Rabbi needs to hit the “tome” that is my post, to find some spiritual guidance or at least see the points I’m making.

Repeated again:

You think 20K is good. If it maintained 20K for years on end up with continuous support — you’re right. However, if we are reading the insane decline this game keeps having then it isn’t done dropping yet.

What do I deem successful? Games that are able to cover their costs of operation and employment, while delivering fresh content to keep players engaged and draw in new players.

People kept praising this game as the next big shooter phenomenon like Apex Legends for example. It isn’t that in the slightest. That game is a powerhouse of success.

Can finals remain profitable for them? Sure. What’s that number for them? I don’t know. But in the heavy competitive market of shooter games I don’t think where this game is headed… my prediction of 3-5K active users, will be enough unless there’s some major whales buying the cosmetics etc.

As for your point specifically of other games have those numbers. What are the most comparable to share? What’s another F2P FPS that is successful you think for the last few years with 3-5K concurrent players. Then maybe I can see your point and reevaluate if this game has a fighting chance, and also rethink my own perception of successful or not in the current gaming climate.

—-

If the game stops bleeding players it has a chance.

I can only lead a horse to water. I can not make him drink. When you are thirsty, this will refresh you...

Just looked at steamdb and wow it dropped off a lot. For those who play, why is this? Lack of content? Bad changes?

Odd balancing decisions and equally odd focus on SP content for what is at its core a team based game. Maybe listening too closely to the very vocal pro streamer minority?

Last edited:

Arsic

I can only lead a horse to water. I can not make him drink. When you are thirsty, this will refresh you...

Ah ok got it. So you’re just a shit poster. Cool. Thought you were trying to have a discussion on a message board, and I even went ahead to discuss all your points made, but the same courtesy when I ask questions back or actual point rebuttals aren’t something you are wanting to do.

You also may want to read that entire link and contextualize it lol. I’m done with responding to you though.

200w.gif

Top Bottom