• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE FINALS reaches 10 million players

Solo quick cash life :messenger_8ball:.
Yea I prefer quick cash, had some awesome clutch victories that can't be replicated in bank it. Have also played the majority of my matches solo. Had a few team mates that didn't know what they were doing but it's still new and even when I lose it's fun tbh.

EDMIX

I'm being completely honest here but I haven't had any of those issues at all until today where servers have been on and off. Have played on both PC and PS5 with no issues whatsoever.

That's true but for a game that doesn't have vehicles I think it's pretty well done and adds a new dynamic to holding out an objective. Also Battlefield destruction hasn't been that good for a while, BC2 and BF3 were great but it has been downhill from there.

I've had issues since launch and I'm surprised the server thing is still happening.

For the destruction in BF, I'd say not only has it been good, its factually gotten more complex after each game, so I'd never use BFBC2 or BF3 as an example.

They literally are the lessor objectively regarding this feature.

BF1 added more complex elements like terrain deformation being more pronounced
BFV added elements like floors and roofs being able to be blown off and tanks able to go thru parts of buildings
BF2042 is the most complex they've made with it with entire tanks able to go thru buildings and the destruction being physics based.

The BF series has progressively expanded that concept, as in every BF by default is more complex then the last in regards to that feature.

So as someone that has been playing the series for generations and has thousands of hours in the series, I see zero evidence to suggest after BFBC2 and BF3, that idea "hasn't been good" or went "downhill".

I think this is merely something people repeat without actually really for a fact looking into it. So if someone says the next BF is going to have more complex destruction, that isn't a new development, that is literally what they've been doing for each game factually and I've yet to see anything to disprove any of that.

(Keep in mind, I'm not debating what you personally like in those games, merely stating that factually this feature has been expanded, added on and updated each game)

So as someone that has been playing the series for generations and has thousands of hours in the series, I see zero evidence to suggest after BFBC2 and BF3, that idea "hasn't been good" or went "downhill".
I've played every BF game except 2042 and none of the more recent titles have had anywhere near the level of destruction that BC2 and BF3 had IMO. They might have added more complexity with more detailed terrain deformation but I am yet to see an entire stage in RUSH completely demolished like what you saw in BC2 or BF3 in any of the more recent titles. And again, I think having vehicles like tanks that can blow buildings away is one thing but to be able to do it to the extent you can in this game with carriables, sledgehammers and gadgets is something else. There aren't really any other infantry based games on the market that do this.

EDMIX

I've played every BF game except 2042 and none of the more recent titles have had anywhere near the level of destruction that BC2 and BF3 had IMO

Yeaa soooo you didn't play 2042, so I'm not sure how you can make that claim.

The physics engine in 2042, literally doesn't fucking exist in BFBC2, its why when you play those remastered maps, you can do shit in 2042, that for a fucking fact.. YOU CAN'T DO IN BFBC2 lol

That isn't a fucking "imo" type thing, for a fact sir....you cannot do many, many things in those past BF titles, that you can in the newer.

That isn't a matter of opinion, the destruction capability has progressively expanded with each title.

They might have added more complexity

Yes sir, that is the point.

I'm not fucking talking about design or your opinion on those last titles.

What you are talking about is how those maps were done based on RUSH, not the ability, function or feature of destruction in regards to any type of technical capability.
but I am yet to see an entire stage in RUSH completely demolished

Lol all you are saying is you haven't played BF1, BFV or 2042.

Several stages have areas where you can do that, same with the older titles, that wasn't some fucking verbatim type thing where 100% OF EVERYTHING could be destroyed, that has never been a concept in BF and stop spreading this fucking misinformation, cause even in BFBC2 and especially BF3, you where always limited based on design, no map could be completely leveled as the map designers purposely limited that. I don't even think you can show me 1 map in BFBC2 or BF3 where all things can be leveled or something.

That has much more to do with WHERE you are on a map vs anything with what we are talking about with this function or feature. All BF titles have areas like little towns where things can be destroyed, it got more complex as the series continued, but it was never to the degree of level an entire map, no BF title has anything like that and any example you give, can be provided with an example of BF4, BF1, BFV or 2042 literally having the same type of areas....

So I believe what you are talking about, its based on something you cherry picked from a BF title based on nostalgia thinking that stopped happening or something....

You can still destroy stuff in BF titles and you would have to objectively state what you mean by "completely demolished" as I think you'll find what you are suggesting literally is still in the BF series to a greater complexity, if you are exaggerating something like suggesting a whole map could be leveled prior, I'd need to see some proof of that as I'm 99.9% sure I literally can just fucking find another area in a BF title where the same shit is done.

You are talking to a person that still plays the series, I like some titles more then others, but I'm not going to just lie about a function being lessor for lolz. I don't see any evidence of this sir.

You must really have skin in the game to write a novel length post Sir. I didn't lie about anything in my previous posts, why the hell would I? I have played and enjoyed BF games for years and know what I've played and witnessed. I don't need someone to try and tell me otherwise. But thanks for the effort..

Lets just agree to disagree and get on with enjoying this game. That's what I'm going to do right now.

Edit - Actually one last thing. If you are saying that BF maps can't be completely levelled only parts by design, then doesn't that make THE FINALS superior due to being able to destroy pretty much anything?

Last edited:

EDMIX

You must really have skin in the game to write a novel length post Sir

I played enough of the series for a long time to the point where it was my primary MP series, I'm the one putting hundreds of hours in and using the most exploits with destruction to either get to the objective or have it exposed to defend it or attack it etc.

know what I've played and witnessed.

I know I like the games in the past too, but I never leave anything to nostalgia to prove an objective point. I must go back, view the map or gameplay footage or something, I don't relay on memory for really any of that as nostalgia can do lots of shit to people on how they remember experiences
I don't need someone to try and tell me otherwise

Yea..thats why I posted videos. I'm not merely telling you, I'm showing you objectively that this was not an exclusive element of BFBC2 or BF3, that destruction exist in all BF titles after BFBC1, got progressively complex and the level of destruction done in a map on RUSH in BFBC2 or BF3 or something, can show other titles in the series doing the same things.....

I'd argue the fact that you cannot show otherwise doesn't even help your point, it argues that you want to remember something you "witnessed" as oppose to objectively actually looking up if those elements disappeared or not.

So any RUSH map like Valparaiso can be "leveled" just as much as areas in Narvik BFV or sinai desert Battlefield 1 or Hourglass in BF 2042. I don't see any evidence from what I've looked up to suggest that just suddenly stopped being a thing. Please stop leaving what you "witnessed" as some memory to be debated. This is a place of discussion where you can just link an image, show a video and explain your point, as it sounds like you want me to debate your memory vs an objective factual thing.

I think you love the series and you are remembering those good parts, please understand those elements continued to exist in the BF series beyond BF3 and BFBC2.
Actually one last thing. If you are saying that BF maps can't be completely levelled only parts by design, then doesn't that make THE FINALS superior due to being able to destroy pretty much anything?

Shiiiiiiiiit mayyyybe

giphy.gif

From what I've played, they follow very similar ideas in terms of the whole thing can't be leveled, like core elements are indestructible. So how much can be destroyed is down to design, it would be like if you made a map on BF 2042 that was just Hourglass's opening town and nothing more.

That is not doing anything technically different, merely saying you wish to have less indestructible buildings compared to destructible.

In this respect, I'd say it comes down to perspective and opinion on which someone feels is superior, as a downside also exist with this design. Limited players, no vehicles like in BF, smaller maps etc. So each game is simply aiming for something different to be compared like this.

I think The Finals can do more with destruction with many fixes. The cooldown time for the grenades must be lowered, different gameplay types that force movement that welcome a building going down etc, but a conversation for another day.

I think we're both in it for the right reasons EDMIX. I'd love to see destructive environments become a thing in more games, as it really does add a whole another level of strategy and unpredictability in multiplayer games. I remember being in awe playing the original Red Faction. Looking back now it was severely limited and very basic but it still opened up the way for more varied gameplay.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I think we're both in it for the right reasons EDMIX. I'd love to see destructive environments become a thing in more games, as it really does add a whole another level of strategy and unpredictability in multiplayer games. I remember being in awe playing the original Red Faction. Looking back now it was severely limited and very basic but it still opened up the way for more varied gameplay.
My most played multiplayer games have at least some sort of destruction. Rainbow 6 Siege and the Battlefield series. Destruction makes every match different even on the same maps.

I can see myself playing The Finals as long as I have some friends that want to play.

EDMIX

I think this is one of those elements that is so hard, only a select few teams ever really focus on it and its not surprising that the next game to do this, is by the same people that worked on the BF stuff regarding it. Its not enough for me to say its a gimmick, but I do believe some companies see it this way because IP like Call Of Duty move massive fucking units and don't really factor that element

While stuff like BF and The Finals don't really have that same type of COD massive numbers crowd to push the concept much more.

So I'd love to see it more in single player games too and in other MP games as I feel this shouldn't really be just left to BF, The Finals and stuff like Rainbow Six Siege, I feel much more should have taken advantage of this entire concept.
Sorta like the Nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor, its one of those ace features that every seems to have just slept on.

My most played multiplayer games have at least some sort of destruction. Rainbow 6 Siege and the Battlefield series. Destruction makes every match different even on the same maps.

This is facts.

Something feels great about rocketing a building knowing someone ran into it lol

I can see myself playing The Finals as long as I have some friends that want to play.
I'll probably play on and off while they add more maps and update it a bit. It needs a bit more game modes, but I think they can build a Team Fortress 2 type community there.

I must be missing something, as I thought this was a serviceable enough FPS experience, but nothing more.

I'll have to jump back in and give it another chance.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Didn't gaf say this game was awful and going to flop?

Need to get it installed and try it out still...

I noticed there are some twitch view rewards right now but they are crappy.

I’m still saying it’ll be a flop. That 10m is engagement numbers.

Plenty of people see Shroud try a game then download it too cuz it’s free. Then they find it’s caca , and creators drop it too.

It’ll likely land where all these f2p shooters get, 5,000 to 10,000 concurrent.

I still don't know anything about it at all, aside from these types of threads. All I can think of is the NBA Finals. Is it a basketball game or something?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I’m still saying it’ll be a flop. That 10m is engagement numbers.

It’ll likely land where all these f2p shooters get, 5,000 to 10,000 concurrent.

That’s…not a flop.

Games that average that many concurrent players generally receive updates for years…because those games are profitable.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Ok. Then halo infinite isn’t a flop.

Ceiling vs Floor

Halo had every advantage in the book and it sunk to “less popular than Dead by Daylight”.

The Finals is a new IP made by less than 100 people.

There’s more degrees than flop vs hit.

Killjoy-NL

Didn't realize it was f2p.

Played a match just now, but the gunplay feels rather sluggish. Not sure if I really like it.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Ceiling vs Floor

Halo had every advantage in the book and it sunk to “less popular than Dead by Daylight”.

The Finals is a new IP made by less than 100 people.

There’s more degrees than flop vs hit.
Sounds more like moving the goal posts to paint your own narrative.

Both are flops.

You want a low developer count new IP success ? Look at Lethal Company.

Didn't realize it was f2p.

Played a match just now, but the gunplay feels rather sluggish. Not sure if I really like it.
What do you mean by sluggish? Do you mean TTK? Headshots do massive damage, and it's a team game so sticking with your team and focus firing helps too. Don't try and take on a heavy by yourself if you are playing as light. It's possible but you can also die in 1 hit.

Killjoy-NL

What do you mean by sluggish? Do you mean TTK? Headshots do massive damage, and it's a team game so sticking with your team and focus firing helps too. Don't try and take on a heavy by yourself if you are playing as light. It's possible but you can also die in 1 hit.
No, the gunplay/aiming feels sluggish.

The teamplay and TTK and overall gameplay seem rather fun.

Maybe I should mess around with the settings. As I said, I only played one match real quick.

No, the gunplay/aiming feels sluggish.

The teamplay and TTK and overall gameplay seem rather fun.

Maybe I should mess around with the settings. As I said, I only played one match real quick.
Are you on PC or console?

I've played on both PC and PS5 and it feels responsive as any other online shooter so not real sure mate. It did feel unresponsive on PS5 during the beta but it feels solid now.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Are you on PC or console?

I've played on both PC and PS5 and it feels responsive as any other online shooter so not real sure mate. It did feel unresponsive on PS5 during the beta but it feels solid now.
PS5.

I don't know what it is, but I really don't like the gunplay.
The feel of aiming is absolutely trash compared to something like Destiny or COD.

Which is a shame, because the game itself seems pretty fun.
Guess it's just not for me, but I can see why people enjoy it.

PS5.

I don't know what it is, but I really don't like the gunplay.
The feel of aiming is absolutely trash compared to something like Destiny or COD.
Yea I'm not too sure then mate. The aiming feels fine for me on PS5. I know it felt like it had terrible input lag during the beta but it feels solid now.
Maybe someone else has some insight?

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Yea I'm not too sure then mate. The aiming feels fine for me on PS5. I know it felt like it had terrible input lag during the beta but it feels solid now.
Maybe someone else has some insight?
Nah, there's just something that puts me off the game.
Not sure how the explain it more clearly, but there's something about the feel of the aiming-system.

Luipadre

Nah, there's just something that puts me off the game.
Not sure how the explain it more clearly, but there's something about the feel of the aiming-system.

You have a full page of controller settings to tweak shit. Aiming is great. Use linear curve, turn down all the acceleration bullshit and deadzone and you'll be fine

Killjoy-NL

You have a full page of controller settings to tweak shit. Aiming is great. Use linear curve, turn down all the acceleration bullshit and deadzone and you'll be fine
Actually the first thing I did and I still don't like it.

I don't think that me having to spend hours to get the feel right is good design.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Hours? :D It took me like 1 min. I think both the aiming and movement is awesome in this game and the gunplay aswell
That's nice for you, but doing all that you mentioned didn't improve the feel for me at all.
It's just one of those games that isn't for me.

In COD, Fortnite or Destiny, all I have to do is crank up sensitivity, turn off aim-assist and it feels exactly like I want it to feel like.

But I'm not here to shit on the game, because I other than the gunplay, I can see the good things about the game.
So all just leave it for what it is.

Last edited:
The gunplay, game modes, destruction etc. is amazing in this game. But the current situation of the SBMM is fucked up. Especially if you are playing solo, the game gives you bunch of apes as team mates and all e-sports players as opponents. I stopped playing until some serious balance update, I was enjoying it a lot before the SBMM dose was increased.

Last edited:

Thyuda

Tried it, didn't like it.

Felt like ADHD - The Shooter, entirely designed for Zoomers who think of them as to cool for Fortnite.

Not my cup of tea.

Top Bottom