• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Jun 22nd at 10 am thats when my local EBgames open up.....if they dont screw me because of late shipment...it happened to me a lot.
SQK7N.gif

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I bought Diablo 4 the other week but then got distracted with the System Shock Remake. Now I‘m struggling… Play Diablo 4 or jump in on the FF hype train?

What to do, what to do…

GymWolf

Demo spoiler.

I was thinking that it is pretty stupid that the queen left clive alive to fight for the enemy, there is no way that he is gonna be ok with that and if he finds out that his own mother made the deal with the enemy i can see clive hunting and killing her.

Why leaving such a dangerous person alive? He was cockblocked by the phoenix but he still has some minor fire powers that make him already stronger than your average soldier.

She gets nothing positive by keeping him alive unless it's a plot point and she is secretely good, it feels like a got season 7-8 decision instead of a got season 1-4 decision if you get what i say.

Last edited:

Teslerum

Demo spoiler.

I was thinking that it is pretty stupid that the queen left clive alive to fight for the enemy, there is no way that he is gonna be ok with that and if he finds out that his own mother made the deal with the enemy i can see clive hunting and killing her.

Why leaving such a dangerous person alive? He was cockblocked by the phoenix but he still has some minor fire powers that make him already stronger than your average soldier.

She gets nothing positive by keeping him alive unless it's a plot point and she is secretely good, it feels like a got season 7-8 decision instead of a got season 1-4 decision if you get what i say.
Pride.

Also he's a branded. No rights, just a slave. Nothing special. Fated to die on the battlefield. In theory he's got zero threat to her protected by the empire. A final act of defiance towards her husband considering she knew he valued Clive.

If she knew he was
himself a dominant
he would have been killed on the spot.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Demo spoiler.

Because the Queen had no idea Clive awakened as Ifrite and that moment Clive was barely conscious to process anything or even the fact the Queen was there. And biggest reason she kept him alive because she REALLY hated him so she wants him to become slave and die some where in dirt during battle, because in her eyes that his “rightful place”.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I bought Diablo 4 the other week but then got distracted with the System Shock Remake. Now I‘m struggling… Play Diablo 4 or jump in on the FF hype train?

What to do, what to do…

Buy and play ffxvi...diablo iv will be around for years.

I think my plan maybe to drop everything and play through this to avoid spoilers. As long as the performance is ironed out. If not I'll wait.

GymWolf

Because the Queen had no idea Clive awakened as Ifrite and that moment Clive was barely conscious to process anything or even the fact the Queen was there. And biggest reason she kept him alive because she REALLY hated him so she wants him to become slave and die some where in dirt during battle, because in her eyes that his “rightful place”.
I was not talking about her knowing that clive is ifrit, i was talking about his minor phoenix powers and of course clive doesn't notice her immediately, i was more talking about him discovering the truth in the future.

But sure keeping him alive to torture him even more is probably why she did that, but she strikes me like the cold, calculator type that get rid of potentials problems instead of the perverted type that keeps alive a problem just to torture him.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I was not talking about her knowing that clive is ifrit, i was talking about his minor phoenix powers and of course clive doesn't notice her immediately, i was more talking about him discovering the truth in the future.

But sure keeping him alive to torture him even more is probably why she did that, but she strikes me like the cold, calculator type that get rid of potentials problems instead of the perverted type that keeps alive a problem just to torture him.
Because as far as she knows Phoenix is gone so does his blessing for Clive. To me the Queen was less “calculated” more greedy and obsessed with status and bloodline.

In fact the original plan was to capture Phoenix, not kill him, this why the Queen was begging the king not to take Joshua with them and when whole ordeal was over one of the soldiers said “too bad about the Phoenix”.

Teslerum

Because as far as she knows Phoenix is gone so does his blessing for Clive. To me the Queen was less “calculated” more greedy and obsessed with status and bloodline.

In fact the original plan was to capture Phoenix, not kill him, this why the Queen was begging the king not to take Joshua with them and when whole ordeal was over one of the soldiers said “too bad about the Phoenix”.
That doesn't hold up. He keeps his magic, its why he gets branded afterwards and she probably knows about it too.

But just because he HAS magic, doesn't make him special. There's plenty of bearers and they're the absolute bottom of the barrel on the societal ladder. Worse than maggots. He's no threat to her as she's protected by the empire. He's a mere slave. It's absolutely a calculated risk.

Last edited:

Danjin44

That doesn't hold up. He keeps his magic, its why he gets branded afterwards and she probably knows about it too.

But just because he HAS magic, doesn't make him special. There's plenty of bearers and they're the absolute bottom of the barrel on the societal ladder. He's no threat to her. He's a slave.
We don’t know full story yet but here is the thing, maybe he was able keep his magic because of ifrit and we kind of saw him absorbing Phoenix’s power when he took bite at him.

Last edited:

Teslerum

We don’t know full story yet but here is the thing, maybe able kept his magic because of ifrit and we kind of saw him absorbing Phoenix’s power when he took bite at him.
Yeah, but that doesn't change anything in this argument. Instead the empire and Anabelle would just assume that he was born a bearer and the duke just used Joshua as an excuse to hide it. Again, bearers ain't something uncommon. Magic isn't something uncommon or scary.

In the end it was a calculated risk by Anabelle. One last punch thrown against her husband and clive. EVERYONE in this setting looks down on bearers as mere material, so it doesn't really matter if Clive can use magic. He's not a threat, he's not even worth looking at. He's a lowly slave.

Last edited:

Nico_D

What a dilemma. I really want to be there day one but my reluctance to pay 80€ for games is putting up a fight. I'm holding up my backbone.

Maybe I should get the Aliens game now and for the first discount to get FF. I'd get it at 60-70€.

Mr.Phoenix

Demo spoiler.

In her mind, she genuinely never actually considered him worth anything. and to her, being a slave, and forced to fight for a foreign country, after having lost everything, father, brother, and home... is a fate worse than death.

Last edited:

SaniOYOYOY

coming from nioh/wo long, its sad only type b has the dodge on O button.
swap the mele on X and magic on Trianlge and Im right at home.

For the reviews I expect:
- 1 or 2 6/10
- a few 7/10

Things like “this is not FF” will come up and “Is just a button mashing” stuff.

Anyway, I really hope it gets close to mid 90’s and the sales are really healthy.

I did my part

Boneless

- 1 or 2 6/10
- a few 7/10

I did my part

I can tell you your crystal ball is broken, there is no way in hell that will happen. Modernizing the combat will be fully embraced and applauded.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I can tell you your crystal ball is broken, there is no way in hell that will happen. Modernizing the combat will be fully embraced and applauded.

As one of the biggest ff fans out there I would bet that there are people moaning about the new games like they always do.

Unknown?

- 1 or 2 6/10
- a few 7/10

Anyway, I really hope it gets close to mid 90’s and the sales are really healthy.

I did my part
Nah those lower ones will be people complaining about white people.

Boneless

As one of the biggest ff fans out there I would bet that there are people moaning about the new games like they always do.

For sure, but that's not the same as saying most of the game reviewers.

Even FFXV and FF7 Remake got a healthy reception for the combat system, and these were not all that.

What to do, what to do…

Well, season 1 is supposed to start in July some time. Your renown progress, lilith statue rewards and map clearing carry over from the eternal realm which is a big boost to start the season.

I powered through all that just so I could set D4 aside and devote all my time to FF until season 1.

Already pre-loaded. Now we play the waiting game.

I'm still delusional and wishing my 95 score is right on the money. I believe until proven wrong.

Madflavor

Already pre-loaded. Now we play the waiting game.

I'm still delusional and wishing my 95 score is right on the money. I believe until proven wrong.

I see low 90s as best case scenario. They're taking a lot of risks with this game. Going for more violent and mature themes, full blown action combat, no party members, linear approach to world design to name a few. Some reviewers just won't click with some of this and it'll affect their review score.

Would love to see a 90+ score of course but my gut tell me 85-89 at the most which is still great obviously.
I would knock off like 2 points just for the X then R2 bullshit for opening doors or "buddy helps with opening door or reaching high ledge" or "squeeze through tight space" moments (yeah I'm petty like that). Hopefully those are far and few between. Those are completely unnecessary.

Fabieter

For sure, but that's not the same as saying most of the game reviewers.

Even FFXV and FF7 Remake got a healthy reception for the combat system, and these were not all that.

I dont think all the reviews were fair with the last few ff games tho so he kinda has a point with saying that XVI won't be any different.

Madflavor

I dont think all the reviews were fair with the last few ff games tho so he kinda has a point with saying that XVI won't be any different.

I think they were plenty fair with how they scored XIII, XV and VII:R.

VII:R was clearly the best of the bunch, but had some glaring flaws holding it back.

Zheph

VII:R is at 88 MC which is really good but it didn't grab the mainstream that much which is what the franchise badly needs

reezoo

What I have seen so far looks like I wont be able to play this game infront of kids. Why game developers dont give option to change the game to be suitable for different ESRB rating. This can unlock the game for wider audience.

Top Bottom