• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

Lokaum D+

What I have seen so far looks like I wont be able to play this game infront of kids. Why game developers dont give option to change the game to be suitable for different ESRB rating. This can unlock the game for wider audience.
Y we can't play this in front kids ? here in Brazil ( and i believe a lot of places around the world ) kids grown up playing God of War, GTA and other far worst games.

Last edited:

ssringo

What I have seen so far looks like I wont be able to play this game infront of kids. Why game developers dont give option to change the game to be suitable for different ESRB rating. This can unlock the game for wider audience.
Everything doesn't need to be made to appeal to everybody. It would also be a waste of time, effort and money to make a game for mature audiences just to turn around and make it into a kid friendly game.

Thirty7ven

Banned
they can and they are going to, i am just suggesting one option to unlock aspects of the game for wider audience on which developers spend ton of time and money.

That's not how it works. Listen it will be ok, your kids will just fill their minds with curiosity about what is it that their father is playing that they aren't old enough to yet. Congrats.

reezoo

Everything doesn't need to be made to appeal to everybody. It would also be a waste of time, effort and money to make a game for mature audiences just to turn around and make it into a kid friendly game.
I think if it is considered and design upfront with this in mind, 10/20 % more effort can unlock a lot more potential audience. And it goes both ways, I want nintendo to make mature games.

Lokaum D+

we follow the esrb rating for kids. they dont have access if not rated for them.
we who ? 90% of the ppl dont give a damn about esrb rating, they just want their kids to shut.

The amount of kids already cursing while playing "violent" online games like Fortinite, CoD, GTA Online is way higher then Kids given a damn about FF games nowadays ( sadly ).

Edit: and i m not even talking about gambling in kids games nowadays that is worst then any "mature" esrb rating out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

ssringo

I think if it is considered and design upfront with this in mind, 10/20 % more effort can unlock a lot more potential audience. And it goes both ways, I want nintendo to make mature games.
Yeah, hard disagree. They probably aren't going to sell any more copies by disneyfying their game for little kids. Certainly wont make up the monetary cost. Yes, even if its "just an option". Options aren't always good or worthwhile. Just from the demo alone it's obvious that it wouldn't be a small amount of effort to make the game kid friendly. And where is the line for that stuff anyways? That decapitation needs to go. Probably all that blood too. What about the soldiers stabbing bodies on the ground to finish them off or make sure they're dead? Pretty gruesome stuff for a kid to see. How about the politics? Probably need to explain that stuff since a kid won't understand it. It's not the small effort you're thinking it is.

And for the record; it's a mature product and you, as a responsible parent, actually did your due diligence and decided its not something for your kids. Major props for that. Seriously. Too many parent don't care and just let their kids play and watch whatever.

I'm not deeply familiar with JRPGs (outside of the old Pokémon games I've never played any games under that genre label), what makes a game like FF16 an RPG?

I'm not seeing what I'd expect from an RPG. Choice, character customization, player agency. If anything I would call it a character action/action-adventure game like God of War or Assassin's Creed. Having skill points and loot/gear doesn't make an RPG.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I'm not deeply familiar with JRPGs (outside of the old Pokémon games I've never played any games under that genre label), what makes a game like FF16 an RPG?

I'm not seeing what I'd expect from an RPG. Choice, character customization, player agency. If anything I would call it a character action/action-adventure game like God of War or Assassin's Creed. Having skill points and loot/gear doesn't make an RPG.

Quests, side quests. Does it really matter all that much?

By that token when was the last FF an actual rpg? There’s no choice, no character customization in any of them? At least since 7.

These descriptions are meaningless these days. Is Horizon Forbidden West a character action adventure game or an action RPG?

Who cares.

Oh my GOD!
There are no spoilers its a combat video from the demo and there is a bunch of shit I just didn't even think was possible. You can do the attack to magic string in the air.

The skill difference between good and bad players is going to be a sight to behold.

Last edited:

gunstarhero

Just played the demo a bit further… and preordered the game. Shit’s legit. As a story nut I love the Active Time Lore. What a amazing idea!

Pumped for Thursday.
Same - the story and character intros already have me wanting to know more. That says a lot to me for a such small demo. I just hope they stick the landing and give us a cohesive story that makes sense, unlike 15.

Amazon status hasn't changed, still says delivery 26th.. I'm cancelling this garbage. Walmart will get it to me on the 22nd as it should. Bullet dodged.

Last edited:

ebevan91

Amazon status hasn't changed, still says delivery 26th.. I'm cancelling this garbage. Walmart will get it to me on the 22nd as it should. Bullet dodged.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I ordered from Walmart back in April, exactly 2 months ago, and it hasn't even had a label created yet. It has said "Preparing" since the day I ordered it. It even says "Delivers by Friday" even though the release date is Thursday, but when I go to walmart.com and look at the product page it says "Arrives by Thursday, June 22".

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I ordered from Walmart back in April, exactly 2 months ago, and it hasn't even had a label created yet. It has said "Preparing" since the day I ordered it. It even says "Delivers by Friday" even though the release date is Thursday, but when I go to walmart.com and look at the product page it says "Arrives by Thursday, June 22".
Ah well, better than Monday!

TheAssist

Maaaaaan, seeing people hyped for a Final Fantasy game again makes me kinda happy. This franchise is my childhood and the reason I fell in love with videogames. It made me a bit sad to see the series struggle the past two decades. Even I couldnt find a lot of enjoyment from 12, 13 and 15. But since 7 Remake it feels they are back on track and I just really appreciate that. Some good old single player, story focused, no bullshit epic adventure. Thats what I love about games and it finally arrives...soon

Lokaum D+

Maaaaaan, seeing people hyped for a Final Fantasy game again makes me kinda happy. This franchise is my childhood and the reason I fell in love with videogames. It made me a bit sad to see the series struggle the past two decades. Even I couldnt find a lot of enjoyment from 12, 13 and 15. But since 7 Remake it feels they are back on track and I just really appreciate that. Some good old single player, story focused, no bullshit epic adventure. Thats what I love about games and it finally arrives...soon
Man, I'm brazilian and it's only because of this franchise that I can speak English, the love for the franchise made me learn a language that normally i wouldnt be able to speak, in 98 ( when i was 10 ) i barely understood FF7 plot, i had to play the game with a dictionary by my side, today i can play most games without subtitles just because i felt in love for Final Fantasy storytelling.
This franchise is amazing and I'm sure everyone here must have an amazing childhood memory of a Final Fantasy game.

Last edited:
Whut. They turned the simple ride on the freeway/escape from HQ into
an end of the universe battle with some larger than life fate God.

But massive story problems aside, yeah VII "Remake" is really really good.

Azaroth

A selection of replies:

Reg4jOU.png

:pie_thinking:

Last edited:
Even from just what is in the demo, it’s clear that the plot alone is mature and “kids” wouldn’t get it. What would be the point of removing curse words and violence? I presume that is your complaint.

Last edited:
For anyone who cares, that early sequence where you run around outside the castle in the demo has better frame rate in the game shipped on the disc which is version 1.02

The motion blur is still disgusting though

Yes I have the game 2 days early, thanks physical copy sold by Target

Last edited:
Still not going to restart the game when I get my disc. No decision making was made, and the XP level appears to be a fixed value after the prologue. I wouldn’t be surprised if you continue with all your equipment taken from you and back into regular clothes.

Last edited:

nikos

Did anybody preload the full game? Could have sworn it said ~16GB while downloading but storage indicates it's 90GB.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
For anyone who cares, that early sequence where you run around outside the castle in the demo has better frame rate in the game shipped on the disc which is version 1.02

The motion blur is still disgusting though

Yes I have the game 2 days early, thanks physical copy sold by Target
Is that with the day-1 patch?

Sleepwalker

Amazon still hasnt given me a release date... If it doesnt ship tomorrow ill just drive to best buy or something on thursday then, ugh.

You mean like beeping swear words and making blood rainbow colored?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Ummm not every game meant to be played in front of your kids? Would you play Dead Space in front of your kids.

Last edited:
Top Bottom