• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

Go_Ly_Dow

Not even just the Versus trailers, but both XV E3 2013 trailers, the TGS 2014 trailer, the Jump Festa 2014 trailer. Look at all the cutscenes and moments in general not in the final product lol.

If they handled XV with the same plan as XVI, one game, defined vision, relatively smooth development, no alternative media tie ins, given time to cook in the oven, then it probably would have been the game that made FF very big again and gone on to sell 15-20mil copies.

The fact that it sold just over 10mil eventually is quite an achievement I'll say.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
If you going to claim that one "destroys" the other, I have to assume you're fluent enough to make that judgment, in which case fair enough.
Otherwise, I'd have a hard time believing you actually be able to discern whether it's a better performance or not.

Not sure why the development staff themselves being Japanese would be relevant, considering that the creative process for XVI prioritized English.

I mostly mean the voices match the characters and the tone much better. There’s a disconnect between the English VA and the characters for me. Look at young Clive for example, he sounds like this fragile boy although he acts none of the sort. But to each his own.

mortal

Gold Member
It isnt about actually being "fluent" in japanese. It's about japanese actors are more emotional and better suited in most cases.
I don't follow that logic at all. That's assuming the scene even calls for more emotion.
More emotion does not equate to better performances either, good acting skills and direction do.

How can Japanese actors be better suited in most cases if you don't even speak the language to make that discernment?
Let alone to the degree of claiming one outclasses the other. That makes no sense to me.

If an English dub is bad enough that you rather not subject yourself to it, that's a fair argument I can understand.
However, I could never claim that the Japanese performances are actually better.
In actuality, I'm just avoiding a bad English dub, rather than actually directly comparing the quality of the two.

Last edited:
FF VII Remake not being +90 MC is criminal, imo

Incredible, polished game

Oh and FF XII has 92 MC.

You posted the Zodiac Age version for the PS4, kinda not fair
IMO it's probably because of all the bloated content to make a full game out of Midgar, because presentation, graphics, sound, gameplay are all excellent. Story is definitely debatable but eh, reviewers seemed to like "the subversion" in general.

Go_Ly_Dow

IMO it's probably because of all the bloated content to make a full game out of Midgar, because presentation, graphics, sound, gameplay are all excellent. Story is definitely debatable but eh, reviewers seemed to like "the subversion" in general.
Intergrade on PS5 came close to 90...
xSTbszg.png

Some better sidequests, NPCs that didn't look like poop close up probably would have pushed this to 90-92 lol.

I loved it from start to finish and thought it was excellent. Expecting Rebirth to be even better.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Observed holiday today for many here in the states so I've been spending hours in the demo trying to improve and become more familiar with combat. It is very deep as others said and you definitely get more out of it when your button pressing is purposeful.

Also, after going through all the trailers, most for the first time, I'm pretty sure this will be my GOTY. The music, my God!

Dynasty8

XV is an absolute mess. I don't mean that in an insulting way only, but literally as well.

FFXV's Combat doesn't know what it wants to be. It felt very clunky with absurd choices. You can hold X to win most battles, you can literally just spam potions nonstop and never die and if you ever came close to losing... a summon would appear to save you and wipe all the enemies. Throughout my 2 playthroughs (once on the launch version and second a few years later in the Royal Edition), I never felt any engagement or a sense of urgency. Combat and gameplay felt very brain dead.

Then comes the story... My God, Square really dropped the ball here. There were so many plot holes that were intentionally in the game ONLY to add future mediocre DLC's years later. Square's greed to milk this game heavily affected the quality of the overall product, especially the story. But even playing the Royal Edition with all character DLC's, it still felt forced in and out of place. Game truly never made sense from a narrative perspective. Having the Kingsglaive movie and Brotherhood anime separate from the game also created a bigger mess as well.

And lastly, most of the game had a ton of generic/cringe anime tropes with weird characters and writing ("Jared...oh no! Not Jared!"). It's hard to take a game seriously when characters act extremely stupid, out of place, cringey and complain nonstop. The XVI demo didn't show this at all and my hope is Square continues going in the more mature route with a focus on character development and quality writing.

Gotta admit, the game has pretty solid musical tracks thus far. That Soken dude ain't half bad. Some tracks got enchanting vibes that resonate to those older epic FFs.

Its a shame we never got Mafioso-suits fantasy. The aesthetics and art direction looked pretty dope.

Kinda curious what lead them astray from that artistic vision. It was far more interesting than whatever they squeezed out in FFXV.

Last edited:

Teslerum

XV is an absolute mess. I don't mean that in an insulting way only, but literally as well.

FFXV's Combat doesn't know what it wants to be. It felt very clunky with absurd choices. You can hold X to win most battles, you can literally just spam potions nonstop and never die and if you ever came close to losing... a summon would appear to save you and wipe all the enemies. Throughout my 2 playthroughs (once on the launch version and second a few years later in the Royal Edition), I never felt any engagement or a sense of urgency. Combat and gameplay felt very brain dead.

Then comes the story... My God, Square really dropped the ball here. There were so many plot holes that were intentionally in the game ONLY to add future mediocre DLC's years later. Square's greed to milk this game heavily affected the quality of the overall product, especially the story. But even playing the Royal Edition with all character DLC's, it still felt forced in and out of place. Game truly never made sense from a narrative perspective. Having the Kingsglaive movie and Brotherhood anime separate from the game also created a bigger mess as well.

And lastly, most of the game had a ton of generic/cringe anime tropes with weird characters and writing ("Jared...oh no! Not Jared!"). It's hard to take a game seriously when characters act extremely stupid, out of place, cringey and complain nonstop. The XVI demo didn't show this at all and my hope is Square continues going in the more mature route with a focus on character development and quality writing.
They won't.

CBU3 won't make the next one and the reason this is mature doesn't trace back to a business decision, but because the team members involved in this have been doing it for up to 30 years. This game traces itself back to Tactics Ogre and then subsequently Final Fantasy Tactics in the early 90. In members who worked on it, in members that are straight up protegees of people involved in it and in inspiration.

This was always going to be dark, european inspired and mature. Game of Thrones or not. That just upped the degree.

Similiary whatever dev team and writers are on the next one will do what they do best. Kitases team, whenever they return from Remake, won't do dark mature either.

You can't say Final Fantasy changes and then try to limit it. Whatever comes, comes.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I mostly mean the voices match the characters and the tone much better. There’s a disconnect between the English VA and the characters for me. Look at young Clive for example, he sounds like this fragile boy although he acts none of the sort. But to each his own.
Yea, I disagree entirely. Ben Starr's performance as young Clive didn't give that impression to me whatsoever. Nor did he come off as someone fragile or meek when faced with danger.

Young Clive gave me the impression of an inexperienced young man navigating through his personal fears, self-doubt, and some complex relationships despite his privileged upbringing.
I think it's fitting considering he's an adolescent male going through manhood, with all the responsibilities and pressures that come with it.

As you said, to each their own.

Last edited:

Roufianos

I thought it was ok. Dialogue was kind of dull and combat felt a bit easy and button mashy. The Eikon battle was just lame button mashing.

I get that RPGs are a slow burn, and this was a better intro than most, but I have no idea what's meant to be so mind blowing about it. Still gonna get it though.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I actually like his voice, young Clive give me impression he was naive and inexperienced and emotional towards how her mother treats him and how he desperately trying to prove himself.

Crayon

You know, this demo was hype and it made me want to pick up my second play of 7R that I left hanging.

The save was from somehere in the middle of the game, about level 50. And to my surprise it was on hard mode. And holy crap the battle system in 7R kicks so much ass. I hope 16 can reach that level.

Fabieter

I don't follow that logic at all. That's assuming the scene even calls for more emotion.
More emotion does not equate to better performances either, good acting skills and direction do.

How can Japanese actors be better suited in most cases if you don't even speak the language to make that discernment?
Let alone to the degree of claiming one outclasses the other. That makes no sense to me.

If an English dub is bad enough that you rather not subject yourself to it, that's a fair argument I can understand.
However, I could never claim that the Japanese performances are actually better.
In actuality, I'm just avoiding a bad English dub, rather than actually directly comparing the quality of the two.

Maybe the more emotional direction is just my cup of tea and I have to settle with something I don't like as much which sucks. Its nice that at least some people will like the focus on english more than Japanese tho.

Intergrade on PS5 came close to 90...
xSTbszg.png

Some better sidequests, NPCs that didn't look like poop close up probably would have pushed this to 90-92 lol.

I loved it from start to finish and thought it was excellent. Expecting Rebirth to be even better.
Eh, I'm one of those haters of all the changes/sequelishness of what they decided to do and will likely continue to do. That Yuffie DLC ending made me burn because before I could still deny that
Zack was alive, but that ending at the church makes it super clear he's in the present for whatever God awful reason, plus the Dirge of Cerberus enemies suck IMO.

That said I recognize that just about everything else in the game is as good as I could have dreamed (visual, music, etc).

They added more sidequests to Intergrade? What is the new content aside from ability to buy Yuffie DLC? I'd check it out. I have the free upgrade from PS4 copy...

Patiently waiting for my game to ship. I bought it online using an e-gift card or else I would've just bought it digitally.
Know that feel.. hoping the Amazon forecast of the 26th is wrong . I don't understand why it would be true. Game comes out on Thursday, I don't see why they wouldn't be shipping it Wednesday, but seems more like they are shipping Saturday or Friday. 😢 Normally Amazon is very fast / on release I thought ?

ebevan91

Know that feel.. hoping the Amazon forecast of the 26th is wrong . I don't understand why it would be true. Game comes out on Thursday, I don't see why they wouldn't be shipping it Wednesday, but seems more like they are shipping Saturday or Friday. 😢 Normally Amazon is very fast / on release I thought ?
Mine just says delivered by Friday but new releases always say delivered by the day of release, not the day after. Even when I added it to my cart months ago it said Friday.

Sensei

As I previously stated in another thread, I don't think this game will break the MC 90s barrier, mainly becasue there are still several reviewers going for the "not my FF" or the "not diverse enough" takes. Also, if the performance issues are not entirely fixed by the day-1 patch it could very well affect the scores this time around.

Anyway, I will play the game in a few days, regardless of the reviews. I will decide by myself if this is an actual masterpiece or simply a good game.

If I have to be completely honest, deep down, I hope I'm wrong and the game actually manages to break that 90s barrier! Not for the score itself, but because of what that number represents for the developers and the publishers and for how it can shape the future of the franchise.

Sorry if this sounds weird or if there were many errors, but I just don't feel particuarly well tonight and I probably just needed to vent for a bit.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Also, if the performance issues are not entirely fixed by the day-1 patch it could very well affect the scores this time around.
It shouldn't TotK has major flaws in this category and didn't affect scores at all, but sadly we know how nostalgia glasses work for some games and not for others.
i think this game has the potential to break the 90+ despite its flaws, but we'll have to wait to see.

and c'mon the Dalmechians arent white at all, just look at Hugo

Last edited:

Sensei

It shouldn't TotK has major flaws in this category and didn't affect scores at all, but sadly we know how nostalgia glasses work for some games and not for others.
i think this game has the potential to break the 90+ despite its flaws, but we'll have to wait to see.

and c'mon the Dalmechians arent white at all, just look at Hugo
I understand what you're trying to say. But you also know how people these days approach the reviews of a certain franchise compared to the other.
Just to be sure, let me repeat it, I'd be ecstastic if FFXVI gets a 90+ in the end. I really would be.
But reality isn't so simple and I somehow have a bad feeling about this. Like when the wind suddenly changes and brings rain with it. Again, sorry for being a bit demolarizing this night.

mortal

Gold Member

This stuff is so fucking good and nostalgic.
The game we got is great but barely looks like 13vs
It's fking hurts...

The game was originally will be planned as a trilogy
FINAL-FANTASY-XV-Announcement-Trailer-E3-14.gif

Strangely enough, the cinematic spectacles peppered throughout the battles in FFVII Remake & FFXVI felt much closer to what was presented in these pre-release trailers.

FINAL-FANTASY-XV-Announcement-Trailer-E3-18.gif

FINAL-FANTASY-XV-Announcement-Trailer-E3-24.gif

FINAL-FANTASY-XV-Announcement-Trailer-E3-25.gif

FF VII Remake has set the precedent for reimagined mainline entries, so maybe one day we'll get a realization much closer to that original vision in the form of a FFVII-style remake/reimagining.

Either way, Nomura seems fixated on recreating those original ideas by any means available to him, most recently via Kingdom Hearts III and that whole Verum Rex thing.
The whole thing feels oddly meta in a way. I'm not all that invested in Kingdom Heart storylines, but tbh I'm kind of intrigued by KH IV for mainly this reason.

Mr.Phoenix

So I feel like the game has pretty clearly telegraphed...

Plot speculation below:

That Clive was the out of control Ifrit at the start and killed his own brother, right? Like how he wasn't instantly incinerated like Rodney, you don't actually see him again in the scene even when he's talking at the end, weird shit happening in his head just before.

If that's supposed to be a big reveal much later I'll be disappointed, lol.
I think it's obvious. And I don't think that is going to be the big reveal... a lot of the people trying to put this game down dismiss it as a revenge story. I don't believe that's what it is. Its more going to be a redemption story.

Being the person he would have to be revenging on is himself.

Hugare

Any leaked reviews/impressions? When's the embargo lifted?
Ash Parrish, who is reviewing for The Verge, baguely said on a tweet that the game has better combat than KH 2: FM

Which some consider to have the best combat system of all time

So she is 100% loving it

As I previously stated in another thread, I don't think this game will break the MC 90s barrier, mainly becasue there are still several reviewers going for the "not my FF" or the "not diverse enough" takes. Also, if the performance issues are not entirely fixed by the day-1 patch it could very well affect the scores this time around.

Anyway, I will play the game in a few days, regardless of the reviews. I will decide by myself if this is an actual masterpiece or simply a good game.

If I have to be completely honest, deep down, I hope I'm wrong and the game actually manages to break that 90s barrier! Not for the score itself, but because of what that number represents for the developers and the publishers and for how it can shape the future of the franchise.

Sorry if this sounds weird or if there were many errors, but I just don't feel particuarly well tonight and I probably just needed to vent for a bit.

The same Ash Parrish that I mentioned above is the one who wrote that article about the lack of inclusion in FF XVI.

She seems to be loving the game.

Maybe she realised while playing the game that she didnt have enough context to write that article and now is ashamed of her words and deeds? Or she is loving it despite having that axe to grind, which is even more praise to how good the game might be.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

I bet you anything some reviewers going be "offended" by darker tone or "sex" in this game, because god forbid Japanese games have sexual theme.

As long as it western game its okay but Japanese games is too far. I mean in Xenoblade X they had to remove boob slider in character creator but in Cyberpunk they had full nudity with sliders for genitals......if thats not double standard I dont know what is.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I bet you anything some reviewers going be "offended" by darker tone or "sex" in this game, because god forbid Japanese games have sexual theme.

As long as it western game its okay but Japanese games is too far. I mean in Xenoblade X they had to remove boob slider in character creator but in Cyberpunk they had full nudity with sliders for genitals......if thats not double standard I dont know what is.

Sexual themes are fine for western games, as long as they are made by Naughty Dog and Rockstar, apparently.

I understand what you're trying to say. But you also know how people these days approach the reviews of a certain franchise compared to the other.
Just to be sure, let me repeat it, I'd be ecstastic if FFXVI gets a 90+ in the end. I really would be.
But reality isn't so simple and I somehow have a bad feeling about this. Like when the wind suddenly changes and brings rain with it. Again, sorry for being a bit demolarizing this night.
People may think it’s just that good and those outlier agenda reviews will only end up taking it down a few points. In which case it could still break 90

Top Bottom