• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2020/2021 |OT| Attending every single game from our home stands.

Tschumi

Tuchel will be fired before christmas.

I believe history backs this claim up.

Which would be a shame because I've liked him since Dortmund. Would have preferred it if he went to a team like Spurs or Arsenal who were a little less juiced than Chelsea...

I think Liverpool had a really psyched out season, they'll be back to their old selves again after a break. TAA having the summer off would be a blessing in disguise. They were exhausted at the start of this season, some results went against them, key players got injured, then they spent the rest of the season psyched out. Got back into shape to seal a top 4 finish with aplomb. They'll be back.

Guardiola needs Messi to insta-win if he's ever gonna win another UCL. Considering how Messi's been of late I don't think he's ever gonna win another UCL...

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
But VDB is more willing to commit on the pitch than Pogba, yes Pogba is more talented but if he is not in the mood he will let the team sink in any given matchup.

Yeah VDB workrate is there and with Ruben Nevez next to him you got no problems with creativity from behind. Losing some aerial dominance though after a Pogba/McTominay combination.

Dark Rider

Tuchel will be fired before christmas.

I believe history backs this claim up.

Which would be a shame because I've liked him since Dortmund. Would have preferred it if he went to a team like Spurs or Arsenal who were a little less juiced than Chelsea...

So in order to not get abused in Chelsea you want him to get abused by the fans in other clubs?

I don't think he's ever gonna win another UCL...

Ever? that is a long time mate.
I feel given time and the continuous flux of money he get to buy players he will win it again in the future.

Yeah VDB workrate is there and with Ruben Nevez next to him you got no problems with creativity from behind. Losing some aerial dominance though after a Pogba/McTominay combination.

For me personally I would not like sacrificing a player who is committed on the pitch if he is talented for another player who is absolutely not committed no matter how talented the second player is.

Dark Rider

[La Gazzetta dello Sport]PSG are getting closer to signing Hakimi. Real Madrid has a priority clause on Hakimi. If Inter accepts €60m from PSG, Real Madrid will be informed. Either the club matches the €60M and Hakimi comes back to Madrid, or the player goes to PSG.

Dark Rider

[Marca] The doors of the Bernabéu will be open for Zidane, whenever he wants, at least with Florentino Pérez as president. The relationship between the two remains cordial despite the logical wear and tear after a very hard season.

He is always welcome regardless of who is the president.

Tschumi

I was pointing out how fast the other clubs you mentioned also turn on their manager and he get abused. So I got surprised why you mentioned them as an alternative to getting abused after a fast turn from a club.
that's a fair point, but i considered him a likely second Pochetino, someone who might eventually get canned but would be an effective and well liked manager for a fair slice of time

Dark Rider

that's a fair point, but i considered him a likely second Pochetino, someone who might eventually get canned but would be an effective and well liked manager for a fair slice of time

I think that is only possible in Spurs case if he win trophies with them.
Pochetino love among Spurs fans came from him taking their club from "no chance they win anything" status to "Spurs are competing and only one step from actually winning it"
He got sacked because Suprs did not win anything in the end. So I assume Tuchel giving them more of the same will not go well with them as the only thing they want at the moment to win a trophy, especially while they hear that their current biggest star is about to leave just to win anything.

Tschumi

I think that is only possible in Spurs case if he win trophies with them.
Pochetino love among Spurs fans came from him taking their club from "no chance they win anything" status to "Spurs are competing and only one step from actually winning it"
He got sacked because Suprs did not win anything in the end. So I assume Tuchel giving them more of the same will not go well with them as the only thing they want at the moment to win a trophy, especially while they hear that their current biggest star is about to leave just to win anything.
well i agree

but tuchel just won something so, yeah, optimism

i think poch was liked because he got them playing a pretty unique/contemporary style, and maybe the lack of the trophies was a factor but his playstyle kinda lost its spark during his last season.. i thought that was the reason he was sacked, a kneejerk reaction from ADD owners who went and bought in ,... bought in... Mourinho bwahahahahaaha

Dark Rider

well i agree

but tuchel just won something so, yeah, optimism

i think poch was liked because he got them playing a pretty unique/contemporary style, and maybe the lack of the trophies was a factor but his playstyle kinda lost its spark during his last season.. i thought that was the reason he was sacked, a kneejerk reaction from ADD owners who went and bought in ,... bought in... Mourinho bwahahahahaaha

Won it with Chelsea though, with a group of players who have a chip on their shoulder to prove they were not the problem and it was all the previous manager fault (I always keep that in mind when a manager get sacked mid-season).

I agree that Pochetino last season results at Spurs contributed a greet deal to his sacking but that only happened because they were desperate for a trophy to a degree they were not willing to be patient and possible rebuild if the players hated him despite all what he done for the club, they (fans and players) preferred to sack him instead and so they pressured the owners to sack him. Getting Mourinho was just the owners thinking he guarantee at least one trophy wherever he goes so that could solve their issues.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Won it with Chelsea though, with a group of players who have a chip on their shoulder to prove they were not the problem and it was all the previous manager fault (I always keep that in mind when a manager get sacked mid-season).

I agree that Pochetino last season results at Spurs contributed a greet deal to his sacking but that only happened because they were desperate for a trophy to a degree they were not willing to be patient and possible rebuild if the players hated him despite all what he done for the club, they (fans and players) preferred to sack him instead and so they pressured the owners to sack him. Getting Mourinho was just the owners thinking he guarantee at least one trophy wherever he goes so that could solve their issues.
i agree.... but i just think that particular decision maker was a slight total dumbass xP

Dark Rider

i agree.... but i just think that particular decision maker was a slight total dumbass xP

For sacking Pochetino? for the long term health of the club I agree.
For hiring Mourinho? Can be since you are never guaranteed anything in football but at the same time he could win them a trophy if their players didn't let their ago decide how they play and act.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Welcome to The Football Thread :messenger_beaming:
Who do you support? :pie_thinking:

Thanks. I support.........

Birmingham-City_2019-09-27_08-20-52.png

SkylineRKR

Maybe I didn't get to welcome you properly last time so:
Welcome to The Football Thread :messenger_beaming:
Who do you support? :pie_thinking:

National I support FC Groningen, since I'm from Netherlands. Mid sized team in Holland, we have Robben in our squad currently. Internationally it varies. I like Napoli because of Diego in the past. I also like Simeone's Atleti.

By the way I think VDB is just not good enough. He has good work rate and can run, but I wouldn't start him either. I think he might work at a team like Leverkusen or something, but not United.

DKehoe

In my opinion Neves is not the kind of midfielder United should be looking for. They need someone to screen the defence and recycle possession. It's not so much about chance creation, other players in the team can provide that.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
In my opinion Neves is not the kind of midfielder United should be looking for. They need someone to screen the defence and recycle possession. It's not so much about chance creation, other players in the team can provide that.

Yes, but Neves has the finesse to get through with the ball, which is something Fred lacks for example. A combination of him and Pogba could work well exchanging positions dynamically. It's not like we gonna find another Kante anytime soon, best DMF right now.

I think repurposing Victoria Lindelof as a DMF could actually work well, but as a CB he's just too soft and I'm sick of him. Baily could do both as well as he's a savage and very fast!

DKehoe

Yes, but Neves has the finesse to get through with the ball, which is something Fred lacks for example. A combination of him and Pogba could work well exchanging positions dynamically. It's not like we gonna find another Kante anytime soon, best DMF right now.

I think repurposing Victoria Lindelof as a DMF could actually work well, but as a CB he's just too soft and I'm sick of him. Baily could do both as well as he's a savage and very fast!
United have Pogba to be able to move forward with the ball. I know a lot of people aren't as big a fan of him as me, but that's his role and while United still have him (which I realise is an issue in itself) I don't see the point in buying someone who also does that when there are other gaps to fill. You can't just create chances in a vacuum and that the more playmakers you have the more chances you will create. You need a stable foundation that allows those playmakers to get forward without worrying about leaving the team exposed.

They need someone who can hang back, intercept counter attacks, support the CBs and quickly recycle the ball to transition back onto the attack. City are an incredible team but in the Champions League final we saw how their defence looked when they didn't have that screen helping them out. I'm not saying Maguire or Lindelof will look like Dias if they have the support of a proper DM, but they would look considerably better than they do now. The dream for me would be Camavinga as he looks like he can more or less do it all.

I've wondered before about Lindelof and Bailly as DMs too. I think Lindelof would probably be too slow. Bailly could be interesting, although his mad decision making could cause problems in that position. I still think Maguire and Bailly is the best CB partnership United currently have. Bailly's speed would balance out Maguire's lack of pace in a way that Lindelof doesn't. And Maguire's consistency would balance out Bailly's recklessness. I don't think it would be perfect but they compliment each other better than Maguire and Lindelof do where there's not really anything about Lindelof that compensates for Maguire's shortcomings. My real hope is that Tuanzebe can establish himself in the first team, stay healthy and build a partnership with Maguire. Whenever possible my first choice is always to see someone from the academy step up and take a spot in the first team and Tuanzebe seems to have all the attributes to be able to do so. He just needs to build up experience by playing more games because he's been really unlucky with injuries.

This video talks about some options United could for for to fill that DM spot:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
United have Pogba to be able to move forward with the ball. I know a lot of people aren't as big a fan of him as me, but that's his role and while United still have him (which I realise is an issue in itself) I don't see the point in buying someone who also does that when there are other gaps to fill. You can't just create chances in a vacuum and that the more playmakers you have the more chances you will create. You need a stable foundation that allows those playmakers to get forward without worrying about leaving the team exposed.

They need someone who can hang back, intercept counter attacks, support the CBs and quickly recycle the ball to transition back onto the attack. City are an incredible team but in the Champions League final we saw how their defence looked when they didn't have that screen helping them out. I'm not saying Maguire or Lindelof will look like Dias if they have the support of a proper DM, but they would look considerably better than they do now. The dream for me would be Camavinga as he looks like he can more or less do it all.

I've wondered before about Lindelof and Bailly as DMs too. I think Lindelof would probably be too slow. Bailly could be interesting, although his mad decision making could cause problems in that position. I still think Maguire and Bailly is the best CB partnership United currently have. Bailly's speed would balance out Maguire's lack of pace in a way that Lindelof doesn't. And Maguire's consistency would balance out Bailly's recklessness. I don't think it would be perfect but they compliment each other better than Maguire and Lindelof do where there's not really anything about Lindelof that compensates for Maguire's shortcomings. My real hope is that Tuanzebe can establish himself in the first team, stay healthy and build a partnership with Maguire. Whenever possible my first choice is always to see someone from the academy step up and take a spot in the first team and Tuanzebe seems to have all the attributes to be able to do so. He just needs to build up experience by playing more games because he's been really unlucky with injuries.

This video talks about some options United could for for to fill that DM spot:

That Dutchman seems like the perfect fit! A captain, more leaders to the team, also sound Carrick-like which is amazing. I honestly only watch United in football, paying $300 yearly just for that so I'm not aware of most of these players outside EPL.

DKehoe

That Dutchman seems like the perfect fit! A captain, more leaders to the team, also sound Carrick-like which is amazing. I honestly only watch United in football, paying $300 yearly just for that so I'm not aware of most of these players outside EPL.
Yeh he's one I've heard a few people talk about. I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert who has seen loads of him either. But he does sound like he could be the sort of player who would be a solution to those problems.

I think United should try and do a better job about trying to look for good prospects before they arrive in the Premier League. Someone like Declan Rice is going to cost a fortune because West Ham getting that Premier League rights fee money means they don't absolutely have to sell him if they don't want to. And I think it's good for the overall health of the league that smaller teams can hold onto really talented players rather than them just being hoovered up by the giants. But it means the big clubs can't just rely on them being feeders for them.

If you look at someone like Van Dijk, Southampton got him for £13 million and then sold him for £76 million a few years later. If United could get better about being a step ahead they could cut out that middle man and save a lot of money. I know there's the argument that you want to see if a player is ready for the Premier League so it can be useful to see how he does at another Premier League club first. But when that "finders fee" is tens of millions of pounds you could be better taking the risk on a bunch of £13 millions rather than one for £76 million. Pellistri, Amad and to an extent Mejbri seem to be moves in that direction and I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeh he's one I've heard a few people talk about. I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert who has seen loads of him either. But he does sound like he could be the sort of player who would be a solution to those problems.

I think United should try and do a better job about trying to look for good prospects before they arrive in the Premier League. Someone like Declan Rice is going to cost a fortune because West Ham getting that Premier League rights fee money means they don't absolutely have to sell him if they don't want to. And I think it's good for the overall health of the league that smaller teams can hold onto really talented players rather than them just being hoovered up by the giants. But it means the big clubs can't just rely on them being feeders for them.

If you look at someone like Van Dijk, Southampton got him for £13 million and then sold him for £76 million a few years later. If United could get better about being a step ahead they could cut out that middle man and save a lot of money. I know there's the argument that you want to see if a player is ready for the Premier League so it can be useful to see how he does at another Premier League club first. But when that "finders fee" is tens of millions of pounds you could be better taking the risk on a bunch of £13 millions rather than one for £76 million. Pellistri, Amad and to an extent Mejbri seem to be moves in that direction and I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

United could've got Maguire for like 9M or something few years back, but shit managers wasted lots of our years. I personally trust Ole and he's progressing steadily. Now we need 1st team signings, even one can make drastic improvements and create depth in the squad.

DKehoe

United could've got Maguire for like 9M or something few years back, but shit managers wasted lots of our years. I personally trust Ole and he's progressing steadily. Now we need 1st team signings, even one can make drastic improvements and create depth in the squad.
Hopefully the reshuffle with Murtough and Fletcher being given more responsibilities will mean the club operates more smoothly in that area. They spent way too long with people who didn't know what they were doing running things. No guarantees with the new set up but at least it's something different.

Dark Rider

Hey, thanks. I pop in here every now and then. I do support CFC, ever since 2000.

Welcome, feel free to come around :messenger_beaming:

Partying like it's 2012 over here.

Oh dear, the new manager should be afraid then :messenger_open_mouth:
/s

Thanks. I support.........

Birmingham-City_2019-09-27_08-20-52.png

Welcome, feel free to come around :messenger_beaming:

National I support FC Groningen, since I'm from Netherlands. Mid sized team in Holland, we have Robben in our squad currently. Internationally it varies. I like Napoli because of Diego in the past. I also like Simeone's Atleti.

By the way I think VDB is just not good enough. He has good work rate and can run, but I wouldn't start him either. I think he might work at a team like Leverkusen or something, but not United.

Welcome :messenger_beaming:
Yes sadly Robben has been injured or unfit for the majority of the time since he joined Groningen, I hope next season he get to play often :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
So in La Liga you prefer Atlético :messenger_grimmacing_
About VDB, I like players that I know for a fact that they are doing their best every single time they are on the pitch. If they are above decent I usually tend to like them to stay at the club even as a rotation player because I can rely on them. I can't say the same about moody players though as they might throw the team under the bus at any given time.

Dark Rider

[Sam Lee] Manchester City want Kane and Grealish but need to sell players first

[Johnathan Smith] Aymeric Laporte, Benjamin Mendy and Raheem Sterling could potentially leave Manchester City this summer, although finding buyers in the current market may be difficult with the pandemic having a serious impact on finances

Let's not forget they also want Messi

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Laporta: “We said that we were opening a period of reflection about Koeman … The wish is to respect the contract, bringing together criteria which we need to talk about still. We will continue with the period of reflection with Koeman then in a week or 10 days we will decide.”

This is really turning into a telenova at this point.

Last edited:

Malcolm9

Dark Rider Dark Rider I forgot to reply to you the other day.

I think you may know that I'm a Chelsea supporter with my reply after the Champions League. I go to a few games during the season if work, life and parent commitments allow me to, and I occasionally see my local team Ipswich Town as well with friends and family.

Porcile

[AS] Open letter from Zinedine Zidane

I like Zidane but was he thinking when he wrote this? Doesn't seem very self reflective at all. The man made a crap load of mistakes with player relations and tactical blunders but was bailed out by once in a generation players multiple times. Now he goes and pulls a Mourinho and burns all his bridges at Madrid by blaming everyone but himself. Pretty petty honestly. He should ask Mou how it's going now.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Dark Rider Dark Rider I forgot to reply to you the other day.

I think you may know that I'm a Chelsea supporter with my reply after the Champions League. I go to a few games during the season if work, life and parent commitments allow me to, and I occasionally see my local team Ipswich Town as well with friends and family.

Welcome :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Hopefully after the pandemic fiasco you (and all of us) can go back to enjoying moments like those again.
Any changes you want for next season?

I like Zidane but was he thinking when he wrote this? Doesn't seem very self reflective at all. The man made a crap load of mistakes with player relations and tactical blunders but was bailed out by once in a generation players multiple times. Now he goes and pulls a Mourinho and burns all his bridges at Madrid by blaming everyone but himself. Pretty petty honestly. He should ask Mou how it's going now.

He still have good connection with the club he just needed to vent out and we all understand. Did he ever make mistakes? sure all humans do but last two seasons it was complete hell mostly due to factors that he has no control over. The Spanish press though were absolutely disgraceful toward him from start to finish (and the club could stand to try to shield him a bit from the onslaught but we did not do much to be honest) and it is a known fact he did not get the players he wanted, he was working with what he had in extraordinary circumstances.

I'll be honest so far I agree with Zidane on every single player he ousted. I disagree with him on some players he wanted.

Dark Rider

[SportBild] Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has today signed the termination of his contract as FC Bayern CEO on June 30. The original term would have been until December 31, 2021. From now on, Oliver Kahn will take over from Rummenigge.

[Official] Karl-Heinz Rummenigge will step down as FC Bayern CEO on 30 June. Oliver Kahn takes over from 1 July.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Sergio Aguero bought every member of staff at Man City's first-team building - of which there are more than 60 - either a Hublot or Tag Heuer watch, each engraved with the words "Gracias! Kun Aguero". As well as raffle tickets to win his cars.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Laporta: “We said that we were opening a period of reflection about Koeman … The wish is to respect the contract, bringing together criteria which we need to talk about still. We will continue with the period of reflection with Koeman then in a week or 10 days we will decide.”

This is really turning into a telenova at this point.
Why? I actually believe it is the way things should be handled. He could not have a performance chat with Koeman during the tough end of the season, and they now had it.

Laporta needs time to evaluate if there is a better option than Koemam and for that he needs more time during the open market. The decision on keeping or sacking a coach is largely dependent on the team you assemble.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[Official] Carlo Ancelotti returns to Real Madrid

I don't know how I feel about this. Carlo is good at talking to players but he is terrible at rotating players when we have a lot of games to play.

Dark Rider

Why? I actually believe it is the way things should be handled. He could not have a performance chat with Koeman during the tough end of the season, and they now had it.

Laporta needs time to evaluate if there is a better option than Koemam and for that he needs more time during the open market. The decision on keeping or sacking a coach is largely dependent on the team you assemble.

Not a single word of it all should be spoken to the press even if they try to speculate about it.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Not a single word of it all should be spoken to the press even if they try to speculate about it.
I don't think he can deny the obvious. I agree that he could be discreet about it, but this has always been his style. I'll take it if he can fix the situation.

Dark Rider

I don't think he can deny the obvious. I agree that he could be discreet about it, but this has always been his style. I'll take it if he can fix the situation.

From my point of view it doesn't matter if it is obvious or not I would rather not a word about it spoken to the press. He is working on fixing the situation but prospect managers will take into account that he is willing to talk about private matters to the press which is never good any anyone mind.

Dark Rider

[L'Équipe] Ligue de Football Professionnel (pro French football governing body) officials have decided to reduce the number of teams in Ligue 1 from 20 to 18 starting in 2023-24. The decision is expected to be finalised tomorrow.

I think more top leagues will think about this to reduce the number of matches.

Dark Rider

[GFFN] Hugo Lloris: "We all asked the referee not to send the Welsh player off, we wanted the match to finish as 11 vs 11." (EDS)

What if the other team wanted to practice playing with 10 men in case someone is sent off? :pie_thinking:

Top Bottom