• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2019/2020 |OT| Does Your Team Got What It Takes To Be Crowned?

notseqi

Being loaned does not mean there is no confidence just that they don't look ready yet.
Can I get a C O U T I N H O?

Rummenigge: ‘Bayern Munich can’t afford to join Messi bidding’
Thing is... why would they? German teams rely less on individual performance, which is the thing most Messi-shirt-holders rely on, him doing a bang up job on a team that could not win the championship if they really really tried. I am sorry to bang on about this but see how effective he has been in the world cup and in the champions league. When faced with an actual challenge, a team that is not playing in his league and with a different philosophy, he becomes a moot point. I am scared when he has the ball but I am expecting the defense to not totally fuck it up when playing on equal terms.

tryDEATH

Eze to Crystal Palace is a very good move for him. Will be interesting to see if he can step up in a similar way to Grealish. Also surprised no one is going after Benrahma yet another great and exciting dribbler.

Hopefully the he a get a influx of deals in the next week or so before the season starts.

Dark Rider

Not for free, pay up.

Thing is... why would they? German teams rely less on individual performance, which is the thing most Messi-shirt-holders rely on, him doing a bang up job on a team that could not win the championship if they really really tried. I am sorry to bang on about this but see how effective he has been in the world cup and in the champions league. When faced with an actual challenge, a team that is not playing in his league and with a different philosophy, he becomes a moot point. I am scared when he has the ball but I am expecting the defense to not totally fuck it up when playing on equal terms.

You are only thinking of the last 4~5 years, Messi has been on the pitch for far longer than that and during that time he won everything including several UCLs, more than Bayern in the same time period actually. He could not do it alone obviously and as the team changed around him with less quality they started to achieve less over the years but he is a huge factor to any other team if they buy him including Bayern.

By the way who do you prefer as your club PR mouth piece Hoeneß or Rummenigge? :messenger_beaming:

Eze to Crystal Palace is a very good move for him. Will be interesting to see if he can step up in a similar way to Grealish. Also surprised no one is going after Benrahma yet another great and exciting dribbler.

Hopefully the he a get a influx of deals in the next week or so before the season starts.

Why not to just stay put and shine where he is now? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

tryDEATH

Why not to just stay put and shine where he is now? :pie_thinking:

Feels like he is wasted in the Championship and has out grown the leagues. Seems ready to make a move to a mid table EPL team and see if he can then make it into a Top 6 team. Everton, Wolves, and even Sheffield could use him to spice up their team a little.

Dark Rider

Feels like he is wasted in the Championship and has out grown the leagues. Seems ready to make a move to a mid table EPL team and see if he can then make it into a Top 6 team. Everton, Wolves, and even Sheffield could use him to spice up their team a little.

If his team has zero chance of a promotion then fair enough.

JLB

Banned
So it seems Barcelona's president is asking for the full clause (700m euros) to negotiate for Messi.
Can you imagine if Messi end up not playing til the next season to finish contract and go free whatever he want to be?

JLB

Banned

Messi is a fantastic team player. The fact that he is the best dribbling and on one-to-ones does not mean he is less outstanding giving passes and combining with mid fielders.

Dark Rider

Thiago Silva signs for Chelsea

How much did Chelsea spend so far? as soon as FFP rules were relaxed due to COVID19 they started spending left, right and center.

Dark Rider

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge on the UCL Final: "I had no feeling of revenge. I saw Neymar and Mbappé in tears and I approached to say that they were strong and that they had to continue improving like this. PSG will win the Champions League"

notseqi

Messi is a fantastic team player. The fact that he is the best dribbling and on one-to-ones does not mean he is less outstanding giving passes and combining with mid fielders.
Yeh, fucking amazing player when it really counts. Ineffective in Argentina v Germany, Barcelona v Bayern. Let me spell it out: I'm amazing in boxing fights against 12 year olds.

Dark Rider

Could you imagine if we were able to use VAR in hindsight to reverse every bad or unfair footballing decision? The entire history of the game would be different as we know it!

First welcome to the Football thread :messenger_beaming:
who do you support?

To be honest many rules hinges of subjective opinions of the refs, yes for rules like offside or did it go pass the line or not it would help but for things like was the push strong enough to count as foul/penalty or not? was that foul intentional to warrant a card or not? and so on and so forth so some decisions will be corrected but many will remain subjective with VAR or no VAR.

First welcome to the Football thread :messenger_beaming:
who do you support?

To be honest many rules hinges of subjective opinions of the refs, yes for rules like offside or did it go pass the line or not it would help but for things like was the push strong enough to count as foul/penalty or not? was that foul intentional to warrant a card or not? and so on and so forth so some decisions will be corrected but many will remain subjective with VAR or no VAR.
Thanks, I'm a Liverpool fan. So a very enjoyable couple of years indeed!

Well I mean more like Hand of God, Ireland eliminated from WCQ by Henry's hand, 1966 Final, Lampards goal against Germany, Turkey red card against Brazil etc...

These are just examples off the top of my head but yeah maybe wouldn't drastically alter outcomes of tournaments but certainly could have changed those games for the fairer.

Dark Rider

Thanks, I'm a Liverpool fan. So a very enjoyable couple of years indeed!

Well I mean more like Hand of God, Ireland eliminated from WCQ by Henry's hand, 1966 Final, Lampards goal against Germany, Turkey red card against Brazil etc...

These are just examples off the top of my head but yeah maybe wouldn't drastically alter outcomes of tournaments but certainly could have changed those games for the fairer.

You feel you are ready for next season? any titles you expect to win?

And yes some are clear cut like the off side cases and the examples you mentioned but a LOT of other things are just subjective. All in all I just hope VAR does not slow the fluidity of the matches and celebrations of goals.

JLB

Banned
Yeh, fucking amazing player when it really counts. Ineffective in Argentina v Germany, Barcelona v Bayern. Let me spell it out: I'm amazing in boxing fights against 12 year olds.

Let me remind you that Messi won 4 champion leagues, and uncountable number of leagues and super copas. 645 goals in 700 matches.
By the way, im the biggest Real Madrid fan, but that Messi is the best one is kind of out of discussion.

Dark Rider

Let me remind you that Messi won 4 champion leagues, and uncountable number of leagues and super copas. 645 goals in 700 matches.
By the way, im the biggest Real Madrid fan, but that Messi is the best one is kind of out of discussion.

Aside from who is the best I agree but notseqi notseqi is just drunk on the humiliating defeat that Barcelona just suffered at Bayern hands and is just exaggerating to the point of trolling with that statement, it is not really serious, I mean Bayern got defeats at the hands of Messi and co after all and I'm sure he remember them.

Teslerum

Liverpool had more rest, longer pre-season and nearly their entire first team.

I'm really, really proud. Even if we had lost that on penalties it was fantastic.

But we won. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Dark Rider

De Bruyne secretly filed a complaint against his own agent months ago. His agent has been negotiating a new deal with Manchester City whilst having no clue De Bruyne did this behind his back.

:pie_thinking:

Dark Rider

Carvajal: "I would like to retire in white. I have won everything with the club and, at the title level, it is difficult to ask for more. But I would like to win a fifth Champions League with Real Madrid. This era will be remembered as one of the club's top three."

Jon Neu

Banned
but see how effective he has been in the world cup and in the champions league.

You mean the man who brought a shitty Argentina team to the world cup final? The one in which they only lost because Higuain, Palacios and the other one legged sorry excuses of footballers kept disparaging the goals Messi served them in a silver tray?

mekes

Manchester United being linked with Donny van de Beek tonight. I’d really like the club to sign him, I think he would be a quality addition for our midfield.

But. I can’t see it happening, we haven’t had great success with adding players when there is concrete interest from other clubs. And selling clubs love to leak that we are interested, to push their sales through, even if it isn’t true.

I expect Barca or Real to sign him and will just be surprised and happy if my team do. 🤷‍♂️

GonSama

Let's see what happens to Messi.
Probably he will stay in Barça, but City or PSG could get him.

Curious to see the Bayern vs Sevilla. :D

Last edited:

Teslerum

Congratulations
Arsenal BPL contender next season?

I don't see why we're going to play in Bangladesh next season, but sure.

Serious answer: No, but if Arteta continues to get his team together who knows what the future holds?
For next season I'm confident in the possibility of Top 4 I have to say. (+Cup Trophy)

Dark Rider

I don't see why we're going to play in Bangladesh next season, but sure.

Serious answer: No, but if Arteta continues to get his team together who knows what the future holds?
For next season I'm confident in the possibility of Top 4 I have to say. (+Cup Trophy)

Edging who out of the current top 4? :pie_thinking:

Teslerum

Edging who out of the current top 4? :pie_thinking:
I don't fear either Chelsea and ManU.

Chelsea splashed out cash like crazy this transfer window and got good players but imo the most that they got out of that is depth. They improved on already good players and imo didn't really address their problem areas. Lots of young players again that have to adapt to the PL and find themselves as a team and honestly a 36 year old Thiago Silva (while a great player) doesn't get premier league attackers shaking in their boots.

TL: DR Chelsea will do well, but they look very touchable to me.

ManU are as erratic as ever. Who knows where they'll end up.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Chelsea splashed out cash like crazy this transfer window and got good players but imo the most that they got out of that is depth. They improved on already good players and imo didn't really address their problem areas. Lots of young players again that have to adapt to the PL and find themselves as a team and honestly a 36 year old Thiago Silva (while a great player) doesn't get premier league attackers shaking in their boots.

None of what you said is wrong but I feel they still have more solid ground for top 4 over Arsenal at this point unless Arsenal make some signings that change the equation, and also who is leaving can make a huge impact.

xandaca

Thiago Silva signs for Chelsea

How much did Chelsea spend so far? as soon as FFP rules were relaxed due to COVID19 they started spending left, right and center.

Chelsea have spent around £130m this summer. The transfer fees of Alvaro Morata to Atletico, Eden Hazard to Real and Mario Pasalic to Atalanta amount to roughly £165m, of which only £40m was previously spent, on Mateo Kovacic. Thanks to smaller transfers like Nathan back to Brazil (~£2.5m), Ola Aina to Torino (£8m), David Luiz and Tomas Kalas (£8m apiece), Michael Hector to Fulham and Omeruo to Leganes (£5m each), they're still pretty solidly in the black when it comes to transfer fees alone (not counting agent fees, signing-on bonuses, etc.). Once Havertz goes through, they'll need to start selling again if they can - it's not a great market to get good prices for middling talent like Batshuayi or Emerson, or even sell the likes of Barkley at a reasonable fee to the mid-table clubs for whom he'd be really useful - but there's a fair amount of leeway for now with FFP temporarily suspended.

Chelsea are buying a lot of serious talent, but fitting it into a coherent lineup is going to be difficult. It feels like they're going for big names rather than buying for a bigger picture tactical plan and that lack of cohesion could cost them. For instance, Timo Werner is a great player but someone who needs a partner alongside him to be effective. Chelsea have the ideal man in Giroud, but giving him a place means losing someone from their now stacked midfield. They could play Havertz up front alongside him, but that's not Havertz' ideal role. They could ditch the academy boys like Mason Mount to make room, but that's not only antithetical to Lampard's project, but Mount is essential to their pressing game. For all Havertz's talent, he's never going to be an energetic presser, which is a big part of Lampard's ball-retrieval strategy. Unlike Liverpool, where each player fits perfectly into Klopp's tactical plan, Lampard's going to have a hard time fitting all his key players into one formation without one or two of them being made to play roles they aren't well-suited to. They played a 4-3-3 in their friendly last night and while Werner scored, he also showed why he's not suited to the lone striker role as he often vacated his position to come deep, which is fine when there's a partner staying forward but left Chelsea without an attacking outlet through the centre at key times.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Chelsea have spent around £130m this summer. The transfer fees of Alvaro Morata to Atletico, Eden Hazard to Real and Mario Pasalic to Atalanta amount to roughly £165m, of which only £40m was previously spent, on Mateo Kovacic. Thanks to smaller transfers like Nathan back to Brazil (~£2.5m), Ola Aina to Torino (£8m), David Luiz and Tomas Kalas (£8m apiece), Michael Hector to Fulham and Omeruo to Leganes (£5m each), they're still pretty solidly in the black when it comes to transfer fees alone (not counting agent fees, signing-on bonuses, etc.). Once Havertz goes through, they'll need to start selling again if they can - it's not a great market to get good prices for middling talent like Batshuayi or Emerson, or even sell the likes of Barkley at a reasonable fee to the mid-table clubs for whom he'd be really useful - but there's a fair amount of leeway for now with FFP temporarily suspended.

Thank you for the break up, I thought they already were past the breaking point originally. The rush for young talent is going wild this transfer window and that inflated said talent prices considerably so we will see in a season or two how much profit these clubs can make.

Welcome to the Football thread by the way :messenger_beaming:
who do you support?

xandaca

Thank you for the break up, I thought they already were past the breaking point originally. The rush for young talent is going wild this transfer window and that inflated said talent prices considerably so we will see in a season or two how much profit these clubs can make.

Welcome to the Football thread by the way :messenger_beaming:
who do you support?

Chelsea fan, hence my knowing all those fees. I've been thinking about this far too much...!

GonSama

Welcome to the Football thread :messenger_beaming:
who do you support?

I'm Portuguese and my team is Sporting Clube de Portugal (love the club but hate the current president that is trying to destroy all that was done in the previous years).
But I spent alot of holidays in Spain and met some Sevilla fans that made me a fan of their club too.
Always followed Man United because of Sir Alex (GOAT) and the players they bought from us: C. Ronaldo, Nani and now Bruno Fernandes.
But my favorite coach is clearly Jürgen Klopp so I have been following Liverpool too.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

I'm Portuguese and my team is Sporting Clube de Portugal (love the club but hate the current president that is trying to destroy all that was done in the previous years).
But I spent alot of holidays in Spain and met some Sevilla fans that made me a fan of their club too.
Always followed Man United because of Sir Alex (GOAT) and the players they bought from us: C. Ronaldo, Nani and now Bruno Fernandes.
But my favorite coach is clearly Jürgen Klopp so I have been following Liverpool too.

Do you think there is a chance that Cristiano retire at Sporting?

GonSama

Do you think there is a chance that Cristiano retire at Sporting?

With our former president, I think it was possible (his last year at least).
img_920x518$2017_02_24_11_14_16_1228994.jpg

Now... not really.

Only if Cristiano really wants to come back...
He still supports the club and he's seen in the stadium sometimes, but... I don't know. His mother is a huge SCP fan. Maybe she can convince him to come home. :D

Last edited:

Dark Rider

With our former president, I think it was possible (his last year at least).
img_920x518$2017_02_24_11_14_16_1228994.jpg

Now... not really.

Only if Cristiano really wants to come back...
He still supports the club and his seen in the stadium sometimes, but... I don't know. His mother is a huge SCP fan. Maybe she can convince him to come home. :D

It would nice if it happen :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

mekes

Deal agreed for van de Beek. I’m really happy with that, quality player, best years ahead of him, improves the midfield instantly.

mekes

Good signing for you guys I think you will be in running this year with us and Liverpool

Thanks man. It’s been nuts since SAF retired. Must have had over 10 false dawns since then, where you think things are trending upwards only to have the balloon burst. I don’t think Ole is the best manager we have had since SAF, but he is definitely the manager who acts in the best interests of the club.

I would love to challenge, it’s a big points gap to make up. I don’t think we will this coming season, but possibly the year after if we can make a good signing for the right side and some cover for defensive positions. I kinda feel we will be in the mix for part of the season, but then drop off. Players seem to get burnt out playing under Ole.

DKehoe

Good signing for you guys I think you will be in running this year with us and Liverpool

I think there's still a lot of ground to catch up. And Chelsea have really strengthened so they are going to be tough too. Would be great if United could get Sancho but I'd really like to see United strengthen in defence.

Top Bottom