• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 Next Gen performance targets revealed. RT only utilized in Forzavista

Q: What Xbox Series X|S features does Forza Horizon 5 take advantage of?
A: Xbox Series X|S enabled us to provide players the most technologically advanced Forza Horizon experience yet. The power of this Xbox Series consoles has enabled us to deliver incredible realism and immersion with a world rendered in higher detail and with extreme draw distances. Forza Horizon 5 runs at 4K 30 FPS on Xbox Series X, and 1080p 30 FPS on Xbox Series S. For players that prefer to optimize for framerate, we are providing a performance mode option that will run at 60 FPS.

Q: Does the game feature ray tracing?

A: Ray tracing is utilized in Forzavista to make the cars look even more true to real life.

Greggy

Nothing new there. Would be good to know the resolution range on the performance mode but I'm most likely playing this at 4k/30.
For ray tracing at 4k/60 , tune in next year for Forza Motorsport. A cross gen open world game aint gonna do it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Digital foundry wet dream
Understand Captain America GIF

I would be shocked if they can run that at 1080p/30 on the original Xbox One console no matter what other settings are dialled down. I suspect a dynamic 720p which can drop even lower in demanding scenes.
Playground is very talented. The other horizons looked great 1080/30. Just 1/4 the foliage and shit on the lighting and boom gtg.

I'm sure fanboys will find a way to make fun of that (already seen it in the reveal thread), but I see no problem. RT is awesome but so are a lot of other things and doing RT in an open world racer must be a really difficult thing to achieve. Maybe they're improving the engine to feature RT in future games of the series.

By the way, it looks incredible for their first nextgen Horizon.

I'm sure it's hardware limiting factor rather than time.

Translation: how exactly can you be sure?
FS 2020 has RT (AFAIK) on Series X, similar 4K/30 target for the non-Performance mode.

At the same time though they are (I believe) two different engines and different engines might handle this stuff...differently. In any case I don't think FH5 is hurting for RT at all; tbh I think the best-looking games out right now or coming relatively soon feature very little if any RT in their "visual showcase" profile modes.

The only exceptions to that are Rift Apart and FS 2020, the latter after getting RT in a later update.

So I wonder what the Xbox One version is going to run at? It must have some serious cutbacks in other areas I presume.

What did Horizon 2 run like on 360 vs. XBO? That should be a good barometer to figure how this might run on One X and even regular XBO.

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
RT is awesome but so are a lot of other things and doing RT in an open world racer must be a really difficult thing to achieve.
Why? I've seen this mentioned several times now. Nothing about an open world game limits RT.
RT actually makes it easier for an open world game because you don't have costly cubemaps to stream.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Ok..... is 30fps playable now or....

FS 2020 has RT (AFAIK) on Series X, similar 4K/30 target for the non-Performance mode.

At the same time though they are (I believe) two different engines and different engines might handle this stuff...differently. In any case I don't think FH5 is hurting for RT at all; tbh I think the best-looking games out right now or coming relatively soon feature very little if any RT in their "visual showcase" profile modes.

The only exceptions to that are Rift Apart and FS 2020, the latter after getting RT in a later update.
Yup, heard the same for FS 2020.

In other words....some folks really need to keep their expectations in check.

They need to make another version for PC. Give us an update for it.
They do. I'm on a 3090, I'd love to see raytracing with the scenery they showed. Especially with night/evening driving

I been playing Forza since the first one and never used anything called Forzavista, then again ima casual racing game fan so it may be something thats not for me

Riky

$MSFT
I'm sure FM8 will have RT, it just needs an engine to factor it in from day one and this being a cross gen game it clearly doesn't.
I'm interested in how the last gen versions will be, are they going to be seriously cut back to keep the resolution up and how are the X1X and XSS versions going to compare.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm sure fanboys will find a way to make fun of that (already seen it in the reveal thread), but I see no problem. RT is awesome but so are a lot of other things and doing RT in an open world racer must be a really difficult thing to achieve. Maybe they're improving the engine to feature RT in future games of the series.

By the way, it looks incredible for their first nextgen Horizon.

100%

Racers and shooters who gives a rats ass about RT?

Give me frames

Fredrik

I vote PC version, even 1620p with great upsampling wouldn't give you the image quality seen in the showcase trailers and it was definitely running at 60fps afaics.
Double check the official video, on my phone it’s 30fps. Still looks good though! But I’ll be playing on PC unless they use some black magic on the performance mode and make it as impressive.

Riky

$MSFT

What did Horizon 2 run like on 360 vs. XBO? That should be a good barometer to figure how this might run on One X and even regular XBO.

It was ported by another developer from what I remember, was it Sumo? It had a very different structure on 360 so was basically a different game, I can't see how that could be the case here with cross gen saves etc.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Wait the footage from yesterday's show wasn't ray traced? It definitely looked ray traced, or did they use some super clever reflection solution?

Kuranghi

Double check the official video, on my phone it’s 30fps. Still looks good though! But I’ll be playing on PC unless they use some black magic on the performance mode and make it as impressive.
Both the announce video and gameplay one are 4K60 for me:

I checked it frame by frame and every frame is unique so it really is running at 60fps afaik, its not just the video or anything like that.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
They need to make another version for PC. Give us an update for it.

Optimizing RT GI (im guessing its GI and reflections they are using) for an open world game with dynamic weather and a bunch of cars on screen would be an absolute bitch.....on an actual racetrack it would be alot easier....things are much more "controlled" they will figure it out eventually, we might get an RT Enhanced mode down the line.
Theyve already given us new Volumetrics pushing the game further would have a host of PC players crying "this game isnt optimized" when in fact the max spec is just beyond what their hardware can handle.

I dont think your 3070 will be enough

<--- Cries in 3070 because this card probably wont last long even at 1440p.
Ada Lovelace better come with the heat im expecting the Ada xx70 to blow the 3080ti outta the water.

Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom