• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport is definitely my biggest disappointment of the year

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm really enjoying it. Its my first Forza game so I can believe people that say previous games were better. But its pretty hard to take people seriously when they claim the game is horrible. I have eyes and I've played it for about 20 hours so far. Looks good, controls good, I dont really see the huge issue. I havent even completed half the events or even tried multiplayer once. Did previous games have 60-100 hour campaigns?

clarky

Gold Member
Best race mp on consoles. Locking car specs. Gt7 did everything wrong on mp after splendid gt sport.
I thought that but then the niggles set in.

The admittedly excellent racing (when it works) can't mask the completely broken penalty system, completely broken matchmaking & completely broken safety ratings. You cant have 24 racers on track and all these not functioning as intended. Ruins the whole show. Every now and again you get a decent race and the excellent game that might have been shines through.

Last edited:
On Series X there are some weirdly goofy looking shadows on the cars at times.

Also in RT mode there is SO much ugly artifacting when in cockpit view on the steering wheel and dashboard. Aliased, blurry etc. It's really bad. Mirror reflections suck too. These are the type of things that make it feel sloppy and unpolished. Why hasn't it been fixed Turn 10? They've had plenty of time.

I do think there is an obvious "GamePass effect" with some Microsoft exclusives in that they can now justify to themselves that fixing graphical issues isn't a priority. On PC things like this get fixed, graphics get improved because PC's can brute force past these issues but on console they're not going to because they can't justify the extra work and $$ it would take. These are things that CAN and deserve to be fixed too it's not a matter of "consoles can't handle it".

Killer8

The dust settled a while ago on the GT vs Forza debate - GT won, but Forza is still a handsome looking game. Racing through Hakone and Maple Valley has given me some of the most beautiful visuals so far this gen. I also really like the feel of driving on a controller in Forza and think it's beyond GT in that regard.

However it also has to be one of the driest racing games i've ever played. Next to no personality or excitement in there, just an extremely clinical experience. It's such a weird ball to drop when much of that can be accomplished with things unrelated to visuals or gameplay - campaign structure, race design (ie. funneling you into using interesting cars for specific races), UI, music choice, narration, character. They have the canvas for a fantastic game but it just isn't used and makes you question why all its shortcomings fell by the wayside in the long development cycle.

I pulled the trigger on a psvr2 for gt7 because of this game.

I’m not sure if t10 really fixed the pc version or not, the DLSS implementation still looks busted to me. It’s a shame because it does feel good to actually drive in the game, but everything around it is more mediocre than ever.

How are you enjoying PSVR2 and GT7? I'm thinking of getting one but then I ask, other than gt7 and Res Evil 4/village, are there enough really solid Psvr games to justify it?

ByWatterson

Something about it just felt cheap and plastic compared to GT7, which feels like a premium car experience at all times.

I'm not a car guy, so I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's undeniably a gulf between the two games.

clarky

Gold Member
Something about it just felt cheap and plastic compared to GT7, which feels like a premium car experience at all times.

I'm not a car guy, so I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's undeniably a gulf between the two games.
They are roughly the same to me, both are not anywhere near their respective series highs.

This game (or the next one)in particular needs:

A proper working safety rating/ matchmaking online.
An actual functioning penalty system
Proper advancements in AI for single player as promised.
A proper campaign not this tacked on bullshit of an excuse we got.
Cars actually built from the "ground up"(lol) Some of the interiors look like they are from 2 gens ago. (spoiler : they are).
An actual working PC version, seriously this game runs like shit for how it looks most of the time.
More Tracks.
Proper damage modelling.

Fuck might as well throw some tits in as well while they are at it.

Pro tip Turn10: Nobody actually gives a fuck if you have "on track" ray tracing if you don't promise it in the first place. The sacrifice's you made to get this shit working on xbox clearly weren't worth it and are hardly noticeable at 160mph.

Last edited:

freefornow

Gold Member
Forza plays better than any Forza before it. Just a pity the campaign is so lazy and barebones. Once I’m through it, I can’t see me booting it up again except to check out new tracks when they are released (not good enough to be competitive in the MP
Yep. This is where I sit. The driving model/simulation is fantastic. Have owned and played all iterations (console only).
At launch, the game died for me due to the campaign progress/upgrade bug and it took them far too long to fix this. It realy felt like campaign was not their priority. And then I became distracted by everything else that was out at that time.

Killjoy-NL

Digital foundry did a blind pic test and most users could barely tell them apart.
The sad part about this, is that GT7 was an older cross-gen title.

OT:

My personal disappointment this year has to be FF XVI, for the mere fact that I can't be bothered to finish it. Halfway through now, but somehow I can't seem to get into the game.
Must be the setting or something. And the world feels a bit basic and empty.

The sad part about this, is that GT7 was an older cross-gen title.

OT:

My personal disappointment this year has to be FF XVI, for the mere fact that I can't be bothered to finish it. Halfway through now, but somehow I can't seem to get into the game.
Must be the setting or something. And the world feels a bit basic and empty.

That part about gt7 being a 2 year older, cross gen title is what the people saying "forza looks good to me" seem to not understand ..

This fact can't be stated enough. What right does GT7 have to be looking as good or better?!

Come on people where is your pride. Where is your passion. Where are your balls? Forza Motorsport was NEXT GEN ONLY and had TWO EXTRA years of dev time!

What makes this something we should be pissed off about? They showed us how Forza was supposed to look when they revealed gameplay of it a year and a half ago! MS and Turn 10 should be scrambling to fix the damn graphics of this game considering the false advertising and utter failure here. They should be apologizing and saying "we're going to improve it and give you the graphics that we promised"!

Of course they're not doing that tho but if you have a 4080 we'll do some fixes for you eventually ...that's their attitude here. Like NO you fuckers, fix the Series X version too I don't care if it takes time and money. This console should be able to get CLOSE to that gameplay reveal TOO or else you wouldn't have showed the game off like that.

PS- why have gamers this gen been so forgiving of devs that can't deliver what they themselves spent so much time hyping? I really don't understand it have we all been trained to accept that unless you're on the most powerful PC that devs have the right to be as dishonest as they want??

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm literally just going off what I can readily see with my own two eyes playing on my PS5 and Series X on my QD-OLED TV. If some youtubers are trying to say something otherwise, well that does me no good because what I am looking at is simply ugly when it comes to Forza Motorsport. Some trees in the background will look like someone painted them with watercolors, entire hillsides will be lacking textures, other areas will be a super low-res looking blurry mess like it's straight out of a PS2 game. Sure some areas can look nice, but if I have got all this ugly looking stuff just right there in camera view, it's hard for me to take anyone seriously when they try to claim it's comparable to GT7. I don't have any of these issues when playing GT7, backgrounds always look good and detailed, car paint and lighting always looks accurate, it's just clearly a much better looking game. This is all off current up to date versions of these games as well.

I also heard people say this game doesn't look nearly as good in action as it did in previews, and after seeing previews I would have to agree, it's almost like I'm looking at a different game.

Not sure what your looking at, maybe take your xbox out of 480p mode back to 4k?
Or are you sitting 3 feet from a 77" tv?
Your take is radical. They look very comparable. Most of the disappointment was that it didn't look clearly better due to next gen only. (Even though it really wasn't due to pc min spec) Don't take my word for it, most proffessional reviews reflect this.

THE DUCK

That part about gt7 being a 2 year older, cross gen title is what the people saying "forza looks good to me" seem to not understand ..

This fact can't be stated enough. What right does GT7 have to be looking as good or better?!

Come on people where is your pride. Where is your passion. Where are your balls? Forza Motorsport was NEXT GEN ONLY and had TWO EXTRA years of dev time!

What makes this something we should be pissed off about? They showed us how Forza was supposed to look when they revealed gameplay of it a year and a half ago! MS and Turn 10 should be scrambling to fix the damn graphics of this game considering the false advertising and utter failure here. They should be apologizing and saying "we're going to improve it and give you the graphics that we promised"!

Of course they're not doing that tho but if you have a 4080 we'll do some fixes for you eventually ...that's their attitude here. Like NO you fuckers, fix the Series X version too I don't care if it takes time and money. This console should be able to get CLOSE to that gameplay reveal TOO or else you wouldn't have showed the game off like that.

PS- why have gamers this gen been so forgiving of devs that can't deliver what they themselves spent so much time hyping? I really don't understand it have we all been trained to accept that unless you're on the most powerful PC that devs have the right to be as dishonest as they want??

Forza was not next gen only despite the claim considering it had to run on min pc spec.

There are advantages to create and run and optimize game on only 2 fixed platforms. (Ps4/ps5) vs 3 million combinations plus (pc) and 2 fixed platforms (x ans s).

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

MS has the tendency to stick to its game and improve it. I am hoping they do the same with Forza in terms of car details up close and the ugly color filter / profile they are using. if thats because of ray tracing then for the love of god please delete or something. slapping ray tracing into every shit inst the solution.

gothmog

Gold Member
Agreed. I did not put much time into the game because it felt really bare bones and just boring. If I wanted to race I just played GT7 VR. Is there a roadmap for the game or has Xbox been mostly silent about it?

jayj

Banned
Not sure what your looking at, maybe take your xbox out of 480p mode back to 4k?
Your take is radical. They look very comparable. Most of the disappointment was that it didn't look clearly better due to next gen only. (Even though it really wasn't due to pc min spec) Don't take my word for it, most proffessional reviews reflect this.
No, I was just playing Forza Horizon 5 before I played Forza Motorsport and I was remarking on how beautiful Horizon 5 looks, so clearly there is nothing wrong with my Xbox or my TV. It's clearly just this new Forza Motorsport looking really ugly. Maybe it looks better on a PC if you have some max-spec setup or something, maybe that's how the youtubers got it to look so good, but I messed around with the settings and no matter what the game is just a disappointment to look at on my Series X. GT7 is clearly a much better looking game. I am not kidding when I say background elements are looking low-res or lacking textures at times. It's like there is something seriously wrong with it. I have no idea how you are making these claims that it's supposedly this amazing looking game because that doesn't meet my experience at all. Paint looks really off, colors look washed out, and there's even odd glitches galore such as wheels locking up under braking in replays when you had ABS enabled, and a bad frame rate in general during those replays. It clearly has issues, period.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Agreed. I did not put much time into the game because it felt really bare bones and just boring. If I wanted to race I just played GT7 VR. Is there a roadmap for the game or has Xbox been mostly silent about it?
The only bigger thing they've announced is Nordschleife for spring, nothing more.

Bry0

How are you enjoying PSVR2 and GT7? I'm thinking of getting one but then I ask, other than gt7 and Res Evil 4/village, are there enough really solid Psvr games to justify it?
I have a quest 3 for pcvr too, pretty much bought the psvr2 solely for GT7, but I will say it’s incredible if you are a big gt7 player. Easily the best VR driving experience you can get. Walkabout mini golf and vertigo 2 are great games I’ve played on pcvr but they are on psvr2 also.

Stop coping like that. DF already went thru these games. GT looks better in almost every aspect, plus they ignored obvious problems on Forza like the shadow resolution on the track which is terrible.

GT is not a perfect looking game at all, but Forza is way behind, especially lightning

jayj

Banned
Stop coping like that. DF already went thru these games. GT looks better in almost every aspect, plus they ignored obvious problems on Forza like the shadow resolution on the track which is terrible.

GT is not a perfect looking game at all, but Forza is way behind, especially lightning
To me Forza Motorsport simply looks and feels like an early access game. Like when I looked at all the graphics and gameplay issues I have, it's just a game that clearly needs more time in the oven.

I'm with everyone who says maybe one day it will be a good game with some great graphics, but it seems like it's going to take years to get there, especially on console, where it presently feels poorly optimized.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Forza was not next gen only despite the claim considering it had to run on min pc spec.

There are advantages to create and run and optimize game on only 2 fixed platforms. (Ps4/ps5) vs 3 million combinations plus (pc) and 2 fixed platforms (x ans s).
Me, looking for the Xbox One version of it...
MagooAndDog.jpg

THE DUCK

You can make the argument soundly that gt7 looks better (or worse), but to say it looks "way better" or forza looks "horrible" is where reality breaks from opinion.
Again, it's not just me saying this, even DF has stated they are in the same league overall, not the implied huge difference being portrayed here.

I actually bought series X for this game and then it kept getting delayed , when it launched u couldn't save progress in single player for a whole month , everything in it is mediocre if it was released after 2 years of fm7 I would've understood it but 6 years and built from rhe ground up is complete bs
I'm with op this is also my disappointment of the year

You can make the argument soundly that gt7 looks better (or worse), but to say it looks "way better" or forza looks "horrible" is where reality breaks from opinion.
Again, it's not just me saying this, even DF has stated they are in the same league overall, not the implied huge difference being portrayed here.
Never said it looks horrible, but some aspects look awful at the moment..

THE DUCK

No, I was just playing Forza Horizon 5 before I played Forza Motorsport and I was remarking on how beautiful Horizon 5 looks, so clearly there is nothing wrong with my Xbox or my TV. It's clearly just this new Forza Motorsport looking really ugly. Maybe it looks better on a PC if you have some max-spec setup or something, maybe that's how the youtubers got it to look so good, but I messed around with the settings and no matter what the game is just a disappointment to look at on my Series X. GT7 is clearly a much better looking game. I am not kidding when I say background elements are looking low-res or lacking textures at times. It's like there is something seriously wrong with it. I have no idea how you are making these claims that it's supposedly this amazing looking game because that doesn't meet my experience at all. Paint looks really off, colors look washed out, and there's even odd glitches galore such as wheels locking up under braking in replays when you had ABS enabled, and a bad frame rate in general during those replays. It clearly has issues, period.

I've only played it on series X so far. It's clear you decided it looks bad and no dose of reality matters.

From Ign: (in the graphics area of the review)
"Motorsport quite has the measure of GT7, but damned if it doesn’t look particularly spectacular at midnight under heavy rain."

From Eurogamer:
"Forza Motorsport is a very good-looking game - and it plays well too"

Or better yet:

Note how they say they prefer gt7 but recognize just how good both games look overall.

jayj

Banned
Never said it looks horrible, but some aspects look awful at the moment..
Exactly I don't know why this guy is so triggered over me criticizing the graphics. It's like I couldn't care less about what some youtubers or anyone else has to say when I can simply go off how the game looks with my own eyes when playing it on my own console and TV. I think it looks awful in some areas, obviously not overall in general, as I admitted it can look great in other areas, but the areas where it looks bad is pretty hard for me to ignore and there is no way I can praise the graphics overall when it has such standout issues that I can't help but to notice, especially when compared to other games on the market that don't have those issues.

A good example is this screen shot I took last night, at laguna seca because looking at the sceney I was amazed by how bad it looked, and this is with me pulling my car as close to the side as possible to give it the best chance I could to load that area properly without any zooming in with the camera (I just moved it towards the wall):

KmhRor4.jpg

There was ugly textures like that all over in the replay. GT7 doesn't have problems like this when you look at the scenery, IMO that's gotta be the worst thing about the graphics right now. Heck in this replay video you can see all sorts of ugly looking areas in the background if you pause it at different angles.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Exactly I don't know why this guy is so triggered over me criticizing the graphics. It's like I couldn't care less about what some youtubers or anyone else has to say when I can simply go off how the game looks with my own eyes when playing it on my own console and TV. I think it looks awful in some areas, obviously not overall in general, as I admitted it can look great in other areas, but the areas where it looks bad is pretty hard for me to ignore and there is no way I can praise the graphics overall when it has such standout issues that I can't help but to notice, especially when compared to other games on the market that don't have those issues.

I'm not triggered, trying to relay to others that this is a nitpicking reaction vs a tempered realistic take on the graphics, and im backing it up with reputable sources. Probably still people who have never tried it that should know its still a great looking game despite your hot take.

I have enjoy the mp a lot. Single player tho, not really at all. But been enjoying the mp. You have like 5-6 good races and then like 1-2 bad races cause of rammers. But that kinda almost normal for these games

Well, they got away with it for the first Forza on XBO, why wouldn't they think they could, again?

@ OP Not really going to talk about the gameplay as I haven't played it, but I did watch the DF vid. What surprised me is how they render the tires when they are in motion. The side just turn into flat textures that spin. It sticks out like a sore thumb Does anyone else do that anymore? I don't see the purpose of doing that as opposed to just having the tires you already have rendered just spin.

jayj

Banned
I'm not triggered, trying to relay to others that this is a nitpicking reaction vs a tempered realistic take on the graphics, and im backing it up with reputable sources. Probably still people who have never tried it that should know its still a great looking game despite your hot take.
Hey if you think it's great looking I guess I can't convince you otherwise, and that's fine. Heck even in that screen shot I took, you can tell how the up-close elements look great. Like those tires for example, you can practically make out the writing on the sidewall. However, just beyond that, you can clearly see a dividing line where the textures just seem to stop, and it straight up goes into PS2 mode. Sure, this could be me nitpicking, but I think the environment has a big effect on the overall look and feel of the game. Like when I see stuff like that, it just sort of ruins the immersion for me, I'll have this great looking car, and the track will look great up close, but when I look beyond that it's like they just suddenly gave up or the game just glitched out or something. In that replay video I posted, you can see how things like trees and hillsides just don't look good at all at times, and I'll notice stuff like that during gameplay. Keep in mind how this is also just me focusing entirely on graphics criticisms right now, which is probably the least of my concerns when it comes to what I presently have against this game. I just think it's an example of how rough this game is right now, and how it has failed to stack up to other top racing games right now. This is the kind of thing I would expect to find on an early access game, not something that is supposedly a full retail release.

If you really want me to get into criticisms I'll just go on about the car leveling system, the menus, the live services, the career mode, the modes on offer in general, how grindy and time consuming they tried to make it, the multiplayer, the lack of an auction house, all the cars that have been recycled, all the previous tracks and cars that are missing, the AI, the physics, the controls, all sorts of things that I think could use some work that really matter to the actual gameplay. I guess the hardest thing for me to criticize would be the physics, as I simply think it's not as good with a controller as it used to be, but as I say that I can also acknowledge how the wheel controls have apparently been improved, I just can't verify that personally.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
At least they got the racing right. Just a big wtf on some of the other stuff.

Hopefully there's a big patch soon that gets everything else on track...

THE DUCK

Hey if you think it's great looking I guess I can't convince you otherwise, and that's fine. Heck even in that screen shot I took, you can tell how the up-close elements look great. Like those tires for example, you can practically make out the writing on the sidewall. However, just beyond that, you can clearly see a dividing line where the textures just seem to stop, and it straight up goes into PS2 mode. Sure, this could be me nitpicking, but I think the environment has a big effect on the overall look and feel of the game. Like when I see stuff like that, it just sort of ruins the immersion for me, I'll have this great looking car, and the track will look great up close, but when I look beyond that it's like they just suddenly gave up or the game just glitched out or something. In that replay video I posted, you can see how things like trees and hillsides just don't look good at all at times, and I'll notice stuff like that during gameplay. Keep in mind how this is also just me focusing entirely on graphics criticisms right now, which is probably the least of my concerns when it comes to what I presently have against this game. I just think it's an example of how rough this game is right now, and how it has failed to stack up to other top racing games right now. This is the kind of thing I would expect to find on an early access game, not something that is supposedly a full retail release.

If you really want me to get into criticisms I'll just go on about the car leveling system, the menus, the live services, the career mode, the modes on offer in general, how grindy and time consuming they tried to make it, the multiplayer, the lack of an auction house, all the cars that have been recycled, all the previous tracks and cars that are missing, the AI, the physics, the controls, all sorts of things that I think could use some work that really matter to the actual gameplay. I guess the hardest thing for me to criticize would be the physics, as I simply think it's not as good with a controller as it used to be, but as I say that I can also acknowledge how the wheel controls have apparently been improved, I just can't verify that personally.

Who's looking at tires from 2ft while racing? I don't get the example. Why are you stopping the car just to zoom in on things to see if it looks good when the car is stopped?
As far as immersion goes, I could ge the argument if GT7 were photo realistic or something, but it's not, both have cartoony elements in them that lose the feeling of real anyhow.
I mean seriously, neither of these look real. (link from eurogamer)

And sure every game has issues with gameplay/progression/levels etc, even GT7.

jayj

Banned
Who's looking at tires from 2ft while racing? I don't get the example. Why are you stopping the car just to zoom in on things to see if it looks good when the car is stopped?
As far as immersion goes, I could ge the argument if GT7 were photo realistic or something, but it's not, both have cartoony elements in them that lose the feeling of real anyhow.

Well the tires just happen to be something you can really examine in the screenshot I took, that show off a high level of detail readily observable. As for stopping and taking a picture, focusing on the background, well that was just me trying to capture something I noticed while doing laps at that track. This game has a photo mode for a reason, and that screen shot was taken with the photo mode rendering, it wasn't just a snapshot I took with the consoles built-in image capture. I truly gave this game every chance I could have to load the background or make it better looking, and that was the result. As I said it wasn't zoomed in either, I simply moved the camera towards the wall so the screenshot could capture what I noticed, you can even see a part of the car I was driving at the bottom of the picture.

Last edited:
Not really. It's deffo up there for me as well.

I don't agree with the OP on some points but for me, on PC at least, the game was a complete mess at launch, and its not much better now.
It's buggy but far from a terrible looking game and so called FORZA fans seem to forget that the Xbox game wasn't that great and Forza 2 barley looked like a 360 game and I'll go as far to say SEGA GT 2001 looked and sounded better.

My main issue is menu system is awful and the single player mode takes ages to get going .

clarky

Gold Member

Im the one of the biggest critics of the game but i agree with this.

Hell i could pull up some bad shots of CP2077 in overdrive mode if i tried hard enough.

clarky

Gold Member
It's buggy but far from a terrible looking game and so called FORZA fans seem to forget that the Xbox game wasn't that great and Forza 2 barley looked like a 360 game and I'll go as far to say SEGA GT 2001 looked and sounded better.

My main issue is menu system is awful and the single player mode takes ages to get going .

Nah im with you the game looks fantastic at certain times.

TBH graphics are the least of this games problems by a long shot.

jayj

Banned

Honestly I'd agree with you there, despite all the arguing I have done about the graphics (because that has been focused on for some reason) it is truly the least of my concerns as far as this games issues are concerned. I can deal with some graphics issues, the other things are what ruined it for me.

I booted up the newest Forza Motorsport for the first time this weekend on my XSX. I'm not a hardcore sim racer by any means, but I did play FM3 for hundreds of hours back in the Xbox 360 days and have played every Horizon game. So far, I'm having a great time and I definitely notice the improved physics model used in this newest iteration.

Also, I know many people have trashed the game for requiring practice laps before a career race or the car upgrades that are locked behind car leveling and progression, but I found this to be a smart decision. I enjoy the feeling of getting to know each vehicle and how they handle on the track before mindlessly spending credits on improvements.

I agree the multi player mode is shocking and the menu and front end of the game looks total ass and the single player mode is so bloody boring early in .

AngelMuffin

Personally I think it's just as good as the rest in the series, it's a solid sim racer with very good graphics.
You lose all creditbility in your entire post when you say it looks terrible vs GT7. At its worst it's slightly worse, at its best it looks slightly better, depending on the particualr track and or scene. Digital foundry did a blind pic test and most users could barely tell them apart.
GT7 is a cross-gen game. Forza wasn’t & was in development for some time…longer than the previous title at least. Expectations were higher for this one & T10 didn’t deliver.

Top Bottom