• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport launches to mixed reviews on Steam

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
48.9 on Steam DB. Lowest in the series by far.
AHpBbmx.png

Among commonly cited complaints are the poor and inconsistent performance, shallow career system, slow progression, unimpressive graphics/presentation, and an overall lack of polish on PC. That said, the driving and physics are receiving praise so it's not all that bad.

Chuck it to the pile of games that are bad on launch on PC.

Another miss by Microsoft. That's 3/4 games this year that failed to hit the mark. The only one that got highly positive reviews is Hi-Fi Rush.

Last edited:

Three

They honestly should have delayed this game further just to get it into better shape. Mix in having to add some grindy progression mechanic and withholding content for "seasons" because of GaaS and gamepass and you end up with this.

LostDonkey

The way the game feels to play is a massive leap forward for Forza Motorsport.

Everything else, not so much. If they can improve some of the bugs over time they'll have a decent platform to build on.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
not sure why this needed a thread, thats what the review thread is for.

its fine on console, it can be fine or fucked on pc depending on your setup.
The PC version is one of the worst reviewed AAA games on the year on Steam. The review thread is mainly for journo reviews and for both versions. This is specifically for the state of the PC version and we've always have dedicated threads for games with a noticeably subpar PC port.

Fredrik

They honestly should have delayed this game further just to get it into better shape. Mix in having to add some grindy progression mechanic and withholding content for "seasons" because of GaaS and gamepass and you end up with this.
I haven’t played it but I think it sounds like they should get better play testers so an obvious badly planned progression system don’t stay all the way til the launch.

As said in the OT, this is the initial impression from a big Forza fan:

This has to be said..
1: The new upgrade system which I liked at first has very quickly turned into the most tedious Racing-Game mechanic I have ever seen.
If I wanted to apply a Widebody kit to every car that has one it would take me 250+ Hours of racing.
In other words, that would be 3675 Laps of the longest race in the game!!!
The upgrade system HAS TO BE CHANGED!!

2: If you spend 3-4 hours reaching lvl 50 in 1 car but you want to buy the same car again (Let's say you want to build a drift car this time) you have to start from scratch again at lvl 0.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I haven’t played it but I think it sounds like they should get better play testers so an obvious badly planned progression system don’t stay all the way til the launch.

"8: Why do the cars and overall Lighting look worse then previous Motorpsport Titles. It might seem like I'm talking rubbish, but they looked better in FM5 and that released 10 years ago."

thats horrid lie. I was with him up to that point. This game has the best lighitng of any console racer to date.

Unknown?

"8: Why do the cars and overall Lighting look worse then previous Motorpsport Titles. It might seem like I'm talking rubbish, but they looked better in FM5 and that released 10 years ago."

thats horrid lie. I was with him up to that point. This game has the best lighitng of any console racer to date.
It's the most technical but not best.

When I heard about that loading screen "bug" I just had whatever respect there was for this game drop into a trash can. There is zero excuse for shipping a full-price (or even a $5-priced) game to market with bugs that severe.

Imagine pouring 20+ hours into this game, only to have your save progress stalled and corrupted by a loading screen. Namco figured out how to do loading screens right back in 1994; somehow Microsoft can't manage it almost three decades later with magnitudes larger budget? TF?

What the hell has Gamepass got to do with it?

Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5 (to an extent), RedFall, Starfield, and now Forza Motorsport. All games noticeably worst than previous entries in their respective series/from their dev's previous works.

Previous works that were pre-Game Pass.

There's definitely a correlation. IMO the games are having their budgets slashed and heavy monetization models pumped into them to maximize revenue. Polish, quality and completeness be damned. After all, they can just "patch it all back in".

You keep setting yourself up for disappointment. GT7 demolishes this game in lighting in several weather conditions. Other racers like Assetto, which GHG GHG mentioned, also have better lighting at least in some noticeable areas.

Forza may have more technically advanced lighting than those games with some of the RT implementation, but that doesn't automatically make it better. Artistry matters a lot and several other racers have Forza beat in that department, for the most part.

Last edited:

What does this part mean? He said "The single player career features ZERO events based around Motorsport cars."

Banjo64

cumsessed
When I heard about that loading screen "bug" I just had whatever respect there was for this game drop into a trash can. There is zero excuse for shipping a full-price (or even a $5-priced) game to market with bugs that severe.

Imagine pouring 20+ hours into this game, only to have your save progress stalled and corrupted by a loading screen. Namco figured out how to do loading screens right back in 1994; somehow Microsoft can't manage it almost three decades later with magnitudes larger budget? TF?

Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5 (to an extent), RedFall, Starfield, and now Forza Motorsport. All games noticeably worst than previous entries in their respective series/from their dev's previous works.

Previous works that were pre-Game Pass.

There's definitely a correlation. IMO the games are having their budgets slashed and heavy monetization models pumped into them to maximize revenue. Polish, quality and completeness be damned. After all, they can just "patch it all back in".
Also, the best media tends to come from people who are hungry for success and need to take risks/be bold with their vision. You need it to be do or die.

If you’re at Xbox where is the fear driving you to succeed?

GHG

All PlayStation operatives buying the game, review bombing and then refunding.

All those bloody Sony ponies eh?

This has been coming, especially for FM specifically. The following was my experience when I participated in some of their early playtests previously:

Honestly I'm not surprised.

Whenever these tests take place any negative feedback is shouted down by the superfans who love everything and anything Xbox. People get labeled "haters", "not real fans" and all sorts when in reality they are just trying to give honest feedback to enable the devs to improve the game. "It's just an alpha, what do you expect" is also another one.

It's sad really.

People called for me to get banned because I was giving them feedback that would have improved the game.

joker-you-get-what-you-deserve.gif

And better yet still, it's still not stopping even though the cat is out of the bag, people are still throwing themselves around to defend the bullshit that Turn 10 have been peddling in the run up to this release, people are still defending what is by and large a poor product.

Ultimately these "fans" fail to realise they are their own worst enemies.

Yep my big worries about the progression system were confirmed in that tweet. Needlessly grindy to artificially extend playtime, and milk engagement. That's definitely an effect of Game Pass at work here.

The warning signs were there when Playground were talking about "snackables" for FH5. Different team, but I'm sure what's here in Forza is a continuation of those ideas and probably a mandate from above imposed on the team.

Also, the best media tends to come from people who are hungry for success and need to take risks/be bold with their vision. You need it to be do or die.

Exactly. There's always a safety net for Xbox, we're seeing it play out in real-time with these acquisitions. Any other console brand with the decline Xbox's had over the years, would have already been spun off or shut down.

I think that sense of perpetual security will end up affecting the teams under Microsoft's ownership, if it hasn't began to do so already.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned

Yep it's the participation award mentality in schools coming home to roost, everyone is a winner - doesn't matter if you're mediocre or shit, that's good enough. Microsoft's philosophy. It's why Windows is as bloated as hell and runs slower in 2023 than it did back in 2000 on hardware weaker than in a modern toaster. And it's why Xbox games have a deserved reputation for being mediocre and buggy. Mediocrity is rewarded and praised.

GHG

is that game even worth it over Assetto? Seems like Assetto's the only one worth buying on PC ATM.

If you have a wheel? Absolutely yes.

In terms of base content it's far better than the first AC. But as a nodding platform AC is obviously far ahead of anything else out there at the moment. I actually prefer RF2 to every other sim on the market at the moment but again, a wheel is a must for that as well.

Also you can get AMS2 for dirt cheap these days:

djjinx2

The way the game feels to play is a massive leap forward for Forza Motorsport.

Everything else, not so much. If they can improve some of the bugs over time they'll have a decent platform to build on.
That's what this is a "platform", in 6 months this will all be forgotten, bugs gone and more content. The racing, sense of speed and physics are all in point, everything else is patchable including certain gfx aspects

Time will tell if Phil was telling the truth..

"Spencer talked about how a number in the title can give off the perception that the team, Turn 10, needs to quickly move on to the next installment in the franchise. "And it's like, no, we want this to be a place that people feel like they can invest their time, they can invest their experience, and know that this is a place that we're going to be investing in Forza Motorsport for years to come," he said"

The driving in this FM is fantastic, but the game performs abhorrently. I run ACC at 1440/120fps solid regardless of what's on screen. I run AMS2 at 1440/120 and only see major dips when I enable
I also run FH5 at around 100 fps, with dips as low as mid-80s at max settings and RT. This game looks a fair bit worse in most instances and bounces all over the place in framerate, even if I set everything to low and turn RT right off.

It's laughable.

is that game even worth it over Assetto? Seems like Assetto's the only one worth buying on PC ATM.
AMS2 is fantrastic. It's built on the SMS' Madness engine but is way more controller friendly if you don't happen to own a wheel, and with a wheel it's really great. The AI in the game is top notch if you for some reason don't want to play against humans, they react appropriately to your actions and each other as well as race regulations. The game has a massive track list with a ton of Brazil tracks that I've never come across in another game, considering the small team this game is legitimately good and even now it sees regular updates..

Last edited:
Top Bottom