• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport launches to mixed reviews on Steam

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I haven’t played it but I think it sounds like they should get better play testers so an obvious badly planned progression system don’t stay all the way til the launch.

As said in the OT, this is the initial impression from a big Forza fan:

"2: If you spend 3-4 hours reaching lvl 50 in 1 car but you want to buy the same car again (Let's say you want to build a drift car this time) you have to start from scratch again at lvl 0."
This doesn't seem to be true unless you want to have two cars physically in your virtual garage. Otherwise you just save your two setups and switch between them.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Man, I want to enjoy this game and I've had a ton of fun while playing it, but I'm shelving it.

It's just not worth with dealing with the constant crashes for no apparent reason.

This game deserves the harsh reviews it's received on Steam. It shouldn't have released in this state, period.

Taycan77

Heading into peak hours Euro time.

Forza Motorsport - 3,481 (all-time peak 4,703)

Forza Horizon 5 - 14,544 all-time peak (81,096)

Assetto Corsa - 12,162

Assetto Corsa Competizioni - 3,424

Unless there is a serious bump in numbers this weekend you start to wonder if FM will even be viable long-term as a GAAS. Of course there are Xbox console numbers to factor in, but if anything, they'll lean even more heavily towards FH5.

Last edited:
That's sad to see. This series has been solid, the studio has been solid!

I hope this isn't a preview into the next Horizon, which I think has becoming the bigger/better series!

these are still video games at the end of the day, they are racing simulators yes but video games mostly. A game has a goal, a win state. Usually beating the game. What game is there to beat in Assetto Corsa besides the anemic pitiful campaign?
There should be more to a racing game than just the physics. A sandbox game is fun, it truly can be. But it will never have the legacy and lasting appeal the same way a more focused game will have. That's why Minecraft has a survival mode as well as a creative.
This is such a weird take. The Gran Turismos and Forzas have been stagnating and regressing for years. Their legacy is a thing of the past. The sim genre on the other hand is alive and well. Some people really only need rock solid physics and online. Campaign stuff is for casual console audiences mostly.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Assetto Corsa - 12,162

Unless there is a serious bump in numbers this weekend you start to wonder if FM will even be viable long-term as a GAAS. Of course there are Xbox console numbers to factor in, but if anything, they'll lean even more heavily towards FH5.

Is Forza Horizon 4 still beating FM?

mckmas8808

Yes. Right now FM2023 has 3,803. FH4 has 6,022.

FH4 was at 20k players on the day of release (on Steam, which was 2.5 few years after its release on Xbox and PC Windows store). FH4 peaked at 40k soon after.

How can a game from 5 years ago have more concurrent gamers than the peak next-gen console\PC game in it's launch month? This is nuts.

djjinx2

How can a game from 5 years ago have more concurrent gamers than the peak next-gen console\PC game in it's launch month? This is nuts.
Because Game Pass?? Honestly maybe because MotorSport is more niche.

Or maybe because its buggy as hell on PC

I just hope T10 support the game as promised for a "platform" as I really like the core elements.

Last edited:

Mowcno

On PC I only experienced a couple of menu bugs. Couldn't scroll to the top with the gamepad and needed to use mouse and the benchmark button just completely disappeared once.

Weirdly my cousin has had a ton more issues on Xbox. He played a private multiplayer match with collisions disabled and then collisions were disabled everywhere. Only way he got them back was by starting another private multiplayer game with collisions turned on. His game also crashed every time he clicked on the car in the introduction series multiplayer, luckily if he pressed B instead to just exit without picking the car it put him in it anyway. One time we started a race and his HUD completely disappeared. All these bugs in just 3 hours of playing together.

The driving itself is good, the performance is meh but not Starfield levels of terrible. The career is barebones. I enjoy the multiplayer but if I had paid $70 for this my opinion would likely be very different and I'd be leaving a negative review also.

Last edited:
By being a genuinely good game with good graphics, good performance, freedom of customization, and is fun. All things that this game is not.

I don't think I've ever posted a review for a game outside of maybe a handful but I posted a review on the Xbox app. Extremely disappointed with it overall and it doesn't help Microsoft denied my refund for the GP upgrade.

damidu

I'm actually having good performance out of this, with a 4070
almost maxed out with 4k dlss balanced
it's not mind-blowing graphically, but stays over 60
maybe it's my CPU

driving feels nice, scratches the same itch as gt7
can't really go back something like horizon after these.
will reserve judgement about career progression to later

mckmas8808

Because Game Pass?? Honestly maybe because MotorSport is more niche.

Or maybe because its buggy as hell on PC

I just hope T10 support the game as promised for a "platform" as I really like the core elements.

Guess I got tricked thinking Motorsport was the more competent game, whereas FH was the more "fun" game.

Taycan77

Assetto Corsa - 12,162

For some more context with Xbox most played rankings, Forza Motorsport is just inside the top 20 in the UK, It's outside the top 30 in the US. Forza Horizon 5 is significantly higher on both charts.

djjinx2

Guess I got tricked thinking Motorsport was the more competent game, whereas FH was the more "fun" game.
They could both be competent at what they try to do, but are not comparable in the main. FMS is deffo more niche than an arcade racer, alof of players will just try it on gamepass.

Anyway like I said I hope it has legs and becomes more complete ala Sea Of Thieves (another Microsoft GAAS)

GHG

Motorsport was once their premier racing game (it's what got the brand started afterall), but they've dropped the ball big time since the 4th iteration and have been unable to recapture that magic.

xrnzaaas

That's sad to see. This series has been solid, the studio has been solid!

I hope this isn't a preview into the next Horizon, which I think has becoming the bigger/better series!
Turn 10 hasn't been solid for quite some time. Now they just hit a new low, because they've had 6 years to come up with something cool and they created the least polished game with controversial changes and lack of overall content.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Turn 10 say they have been reading people's feedback and listening to their concerns 🤔

Nothing concrete though. No admission of failures or ETA to fix.

Must be something with his PC setup, nothing like this ever happened to me. I had exactly 1 crash (on my first race, lol) and the biggest bug I've encountered is that cars fail to load on time for podium showcase etc. and they 'pop-in' after a second. That's it.

Taycan77

Lol shit does this include GamePass?
The Most Played charts include everything, Purchased titles, Free-to-Play, Gamepass.

Turn 10 hasn't been solid for quite some time. Now they just hit a new low, because they've had 6 years to come up with something cool and they created the least polished game with controversial changes and lack of overall content.
It's widely believed T10 acted as a support studio for a number for MS 1st Party titles. including Halo Infinite. So I don't believe they're worked for 6 years on FM.

SimTourist

Assetto Corsa - 12,162

I don't see this game pulling away PC simracers from their game of choice and on console there are way more casual fans that will prefer Horizon. I've been enjoying the game myself but I have doubts about it's long term support as well, Papa Spencer gave them 6 years to reanimate the franchise but it seems to haven't made much of a splash.

"..Releasing games at quality".
-Phil Buying Nintendo is a career moment Spencer, president of gaming and most importantly, Gamer.

yJ2ZdBA.jpg

🤡:
huft4Rq.jpg

Thirty7ven

Banned
Why are you guys so obsessed with Phil?

Oh I know…

00bc51d1-866a-4a56-9eaa-0bce9c7548fe_text.gif

1f18d2ad-b6ee-4d06-a5c1-6ff5ef8b49b0_text.gif

Maybe if he kept his mouth shut for one week and his minions didn’t make him out to be this hero, people wouldn’t constantly use his words against him.

Fact is he’s responsible for Xbox games coming in hot, because you gotta feed gamepass, specially with stagnated growth and a big holiday.

The question is why are you bothered when it’s nothing but the truth being said.

I can bet alot of people in this thread haven't even played the game
The gameplay is ace and in a few months it will be a great game
Is it an excuse ? Fuck no
But this is how these gaas games are
Halo infinite is good ATM
Sea of theaves was abysmal at launch and absolutely amazing ATM
Forza will be amazing in a years time aswell.
The only problem with this model is that the communities move on and always stamps these games as mediocre.
Only game where the community got bigger in a gaas is rainbow six siege

Taycan77

Saturday night peak in Europe was 4,507.

Early evening in the US, still early enough for many in Europe to be playing given it's the weekend.

Players right now:

Forza Motorsport 3,750

Forza Horizon 5 8,750

Halo Infinite 5,947.

blue velvet

I can bet alot of people in this thread haven't even played the game
The gameplay is ace and in a few months it will be a great game
Is it an excuse ? Fuck no
But this is how these gaas games are
Halo infinite is good ATM
Sea of theaves was abysmal at launch and absolutely amazing ATM
Forza will be amazing in a years time aswell.
The only problem with this model is that the communities move on and always stamps these games as mediocre.
Only game where the community got bigger in a gaas is rainbow six siege
In a few months, the game will lose its playerbase. In a year or two from now a lot of people will move on to the next Forza Horizon game. And looking at the known issues on their website, I don't think they could fix it all of the bugs and problems of this game in a couple of months.

Last edited:

Esca

You know out of the three big games MS was releasing this year I thought that Forza was going to be the best of the bunch. They had a lot of time and the Forza games have all been top notch games so it seemed obvious to me. Oof

Varteras

Gold Member
You know out of the three big games MS was releasing this year I thought that Forza was going to be the best of the bunch. They had a lot of time and the Forza games have all been top notch games so it seemed obvious to me. Oof

It's honestly wild to see Xbox put out 4 new games this year and the one that actually stood out was a shadow dropped passion project by a relatively mediocre studio. Not Turn 10. Not Bethesda. Not Arkane. Tango did it.

SimTourist

It's honestly wild to see Xbox put out 4 new games this year and the one that actually stood out was a shadow dropped passion project by a relatively mediocre studio. Not Turn 10. Not Bethesda. Not Arkane. Tango did it.
Come on now, Tango is not mediocre, TEW games were pretty good and Ghostwire is not bad either, solid 8/10 games that work well and have interesting ideas.

Varteras

Gold Member
Come on now, Tango is not mediocre, TEW games were pretty good and Ghostwire is not bad either, solid 8/10 games that work well and have interesting ideas.

"Relatively mediocre". Tango versus Arkane, Bethesda, and Turn 10? No one saw that coming.

This video is absolutely hilarious. All the complaints about the AI in these Steam reviews are manifested in just the first few seconds.

You realize that's an online match against other players yes? Look at their names on the top left. It's a video series where they make fun of people who ram and then get Karma in return.

Last edited:

Taycan77

Sunday peak, traditionally the biggest day after a launch was 4,376.

This morning Forza Motorsport stands at 1,597. Forza Horizon 5 is 6,576.

Top Bottom