• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport launches to mixed reviews on Steam

gothmog

Gold Member
The worse to me is that on top of the game being 70$, this is the first thing you will see in the store page description :
FM_SKU_ComparisonChart_Steam_Update_600x338_EN.png

I know people are used to this, that it's the new norm, but I will never find it normal nor get used to it.
You buy an overpriced game already, and they clearly tell you that you're playing the "cheap" version. They make it feel like you're playing some free to play version or something and you have to pay 100$+ to get the real game.
Basically mocking you for getting the "standard" version.

It's absurd.
Welcome to the future of Gamepass.

dotnotbot

The worse to me is that on top of the game being 70$, this is the first thing you will see in the store page description :
FM_SKU_ComparisonChart_Steam_Update_600x338_EN.png

I know people are used to this, that it's the new norm, but I will never find it normal nor get used to it.
You buy an overpriced game already, and they clearly tell you that you're playing the "cheap" version. They make it feel like you're playing some free to play version or something and you have to pay 100$+ to get the real game.
Basically mocking you for getting the "standard" version.

It's absurd.

Standard pleb edition is included in gamepass, that's why. Even Redfall is still $70 so gamepass appears as a better deal (the only reasonable one in fact).

Last edited:

GHG

Uhm, yes? Why the heck you even need a wheel to race against braindead AI lol?

You do it if you enjoy racing games. Plenty of people do it to just race against AI (in the games where the AI is more competent), it just wouldn't make that much sense to do it for this title alone.

supernova8

Banned
Also, the best media tends to come from people who are hungry for success and need to take risks/be bold with their vision. You need it to be do or die.

If you’re at Xbox where is the fear driving you to succeed?
If that were the only reason then surely we'd have shit first party content coming out of Playstation and Nintendo, but their output seems to be (generally) pretty good (even though Playstation can fuck off with its cross gen bollocks).

Maybe Xbox as an organisation isn't very good at managing its studios, or maybe it isn't good at identifying and selecting the right people to be in the right leadership roles. Kinda hard to know what the hell is going on (it's unlikely to be a funding issue) on the outside looking in.

Taycan77

My prediction was FH5 would have more players than FM by Christmas. It's increasingly looking like FM won't even pass FH5 in the first place. Although I'm not sure how long it takes for Steam numbers to ramp up.

AetherZX

I'm very curious what's with the influx of these room temperature IQ 'Game Pass' posts in a topic focused on the Steam version of the game. The same Steam where other non-GP titles with terrible performance got review bombed all the same.

remember that all these PC sims are lacking in a campaign that even comes close to the likes of Forza Motorsport 7 and Gran Turismo 5 let alone the classics such as FM4 and GT4. I'd be spending 300-400 dollars on a wheel, pedals and shifter for what? online racing and more realistic physics? With basically no goal or game to work for besides just racing in lobbies?

no-i-dont-think-i-will.gif

Assetto 2 in 2024 better step up the campaign efforts. And Controller support too.
It's almost as if simulations are not about playing "campaigns".

Thirty7ven

Banned
It's down to 44%. I don't understand how so many games ended up in such a poor state even after lengthy delays.

Redfall, halo infinite, this. All near 1 year delays, all still in a poor release state regardless.

Starting to look like MS is having quite a bit of trouble attracting talent. And the pressure of gamepass isn’t helping game releases.

Last edited:

djjinx2

Reminds me of Driveclub release, lots of hate but the core game is legit good. I just hope MS support the game and fix shit, in 3 years we shall look back on the game in the same light (I hope).

I get a feeling that there is also alot of bandwagon jumpers round here that have not even fucking played the game. Sucks to own an Xbox and read this forum at times

Last edited:

Belthazar

The driving and physics are the only good thing about the game.

The rest feels unpolished and unfinished to say the very least.

Built from the ground up with six years of development time has to be a joke.

Seems very in line with what was said about Halo Infinite at launch. Great core mechanics lost on an overall very barebones product. Halo seemingly got back on its feet content-wise, but it was a case of it being too little and too late, as most of the player base left and never came back. I wonder if the same will happen with this.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Looks like a lot of pc gamers with "better pc than console" dealing with the harsh reality that their 2070s, 3060s and the like are not up to par.

Bad optimization is their favorite cry.
nah our GPUs are up to snuff, it really is just bad optimization. There are mods for Assetto Corsa that look better than Forza and run well on a 1070,1080, 2070 etc

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's almost as if simulations are not about playing "campaigns".
these are still video games at the end of the day, they are racing simulators yes but video games mostly. A game has a goal, a win state. Usually beating the game. What game is there to beat in Assetto Corsa besides the anemic pitiful campaign?
There should be more to a racing game than just the physics. A sandbox game is fun, it truly can be. But it will never have the legacy and lasting appeal the same way a more focused game will have. That's why Minecraft has a survival mode as well as a creative.

GHG

these are still video games at the end of the day, they are racing simulators yes but video games mostly. A game has a goal, a win state. Usually beating the game. What game is there to beat in Assetto Corsa besides the anemic pitiful campaign?
There should be more to a racing game than just the physics. A sandbox game is fun, it truly can be. But it will never have the legacy and lasting appeal the same way a more focused game will have. That's why Minecraft has a survival mode as well as a creative.

Try this and see if it's more to your liking than what's in the vanilla game:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Try this and see if it's more to your liking than what's in the vanilla game:

spongebob-waiting-for.gif

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

What the hell has Gamepass got to do with it?

When there was a solar eclipse, the natives would play drums and dance a ritual until the Sun came out again, worked every time, so the song and dance were a must for every eclipse, now it's the same song and dance post Game Pass, now any game that's worse then its predecessor, must be GP fault, including a game like Redfall that was deep into production even before the acquisition. But alas, keep beating those drums warriors!

Nydius

I don't quite understand why they insisted on using a leve lup system for a racing simulator. It's just so out of place.

Because, despite the (current) lack of microtransactions, it's still a "live service" game at its core. Gotta pump up those player engagement metrics somehow. Instead of offering a deep, robust, campaign with deeper sim features to do that, 'tis easier to just turn everything into a grind. Skinner Box: Racing Edition.

Taycan77

Mid-day in Europe, Steam DB:

Forza Motorsport 2,237

Forza Horizon 5 7,232

Asseto Corsa 5,556

Asseto Corsa Competizione 1,655

Dirt Rally 2.0 809

Automobilista 2 218

iRacing 135

I was expecting 15k-30k launch week. It’s unrealistic to expect it to match Forza Horizon 5 due to it being an arcade game.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Mid-day in Europe, Steam DB:

Forza Motorsport 2,237

Forza Horizon 5 7,232

Asseto Corsa 5,556

Asseto Corsa Competizione 1,655

Dirt Rally 2.0 809

Automobilista 2 218

iRacing 135

I was expecting 15k-30k launch week. It’s unrealistic to expect it to match Forza Horizon 5 due to it being an arcade game.

Steam reviews are doing what Steam reviews are design to do for game that's unfinished: scaring potential customers away.

Top Bottom