• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport launches to mixed reviews on Steam

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
What the hell has Gamepass got to do with it?
thanos-everything.gif

DJ12

I reckon someone from turn 10 put I'm some low reviews so it looks like more reviews coming in are favorable lol

Last edited:

Fredrik

Namco figured out how to do loading screens right back in 1994
And some of the best loading screens and loading music can be found on C64 cassette tape games a decade earlier.
Play testing in general is just extremely lacking nowdays. It’s pretty much normalized to beta test among customers. Imagine if someone would try releasing a game today on cartridge on an offline platform 🤕

Killer8

Just goes to show that you can have as many "____ vs Forza" threads, do as many deep dive tech analysis, and post as many gifs as you want to prove the supposed superiority of the visuals, but at the end of the day if they can't stand up to the wider public's opinion then it's all for nothing.

Crayon

All those bloody Sony ponies eh?

This has been coming, especially for FM specifically. The following was my experience when I participated in some of their early playtests previously:

People called for me to get banned because I was giving them feedback that would have improved the game.

joker-you-get-what-you-deserve.gif

And better yet still, it's still not stopping even though the cat is out of the bag, people are still throwing themselves around to defend the bullshit that Turn 10 have been peddling in the run up to this release, people are still defending what is by and large a poor product.

Ultimately these "fans" fail to realise they are their own worst enemies.

Seriously. MS needs to start listening to the "haters" a little more. The feedback loop they've created with fans does not neccessarly make for actual useful feedback.

High-quality wheels for these games are pretty expensive, for sure. I'd like to invest in one some day, but only if I'm super-serious about sim racing.

Fake reviews all over the place again. Some dude above talked about the gamepass effect and included forza horizon, the best arcade racer ever.

No it's not. I'd rather play Outrun 2 or Burnout 3: Takedown over Forza Horizon 5 any day.

For real tho, can we just stop trying to say a Forza game is "the absolute bestest racer ever"? Why do only Forza people seem to do this? If you love the games, fine. But gotta stop putting them up like they're the best thing in the genre ever when that can be strongly disputed objectively and subjectively.

And some of the best loading screens and loading music can be found on C64 cassette tape games a decade earlier.
Play testing in general is just extremely lacking nowdays. It’s pretty much normalized to beta test among customers. Imagine if someone would try releasing a game today on cartridge on an offline platform 🤕

Not too familiar with C64 games, but I will take your word for it. I think a lot of publishers have dumped huge portions of their QA staff over the years. IIRC Microsoft want to use AI to do bug testing in the future.

But AI won't be able to tell them if a game mechanic or system is actually fun for a human to play with. You need actual people testing the game for that, preferably professionals who have a good taste for quality games. But that costs money and somehow Microsoft are too cheap to pay for it.

Maybe buying a couple more publishers and their additional tech and experience might help them. 🤷‍♂️

If anything buying another pub or two will just cause the entirety of Xbox to collapse because of too much stuff to manage. They're already clearly struggling with what they have; ABK is going to increase the pressure by magnitudes.

Seriously. MS needs to start listening to the "haters" a little more. The feedback loop they've created with fans does not neccessarly make for actual useful feedback.

It's weird because on one hand, people high up at Xbox have insulated themselves into an echo chamber. On the other hand, we know Phil Spencer does actually read criticism because he referenced negative commentary towards the brand in that X-Cast interview.

However, he is so egotistical (IMO) I don't think he cares to actually do anything with that criticism.

blue velvet

Fake reviews all over the place again. Some dude above talked about the gamepass effect and included forza horizon, the best arcade racer ever.
You can't fake review on steam. Nobody would spend 70 dollars just to review bomb the game. This ain't metacritic, steam reviews are far more reliable because people genuinely played it, and it shows the actual hours played on their reviews.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
High-quality wheels for these games are pretty expensive, for sure. I'd like to invest in one some day, but only if I'm super-serious about sim racing.
remember that all these PC sims are lacking in a campaign that even comes close to the likes of Forza Motorsport 7 and Gran Turismo 5 let alone the classics such as FM4 and GT4. I'd be spending 300-400 dollars on a wheel, pedals and shifter for what? online racing and more realistic physics? With basically no goal or game to work for besides just racing in lobbies?

no-i-dont-think-i-will.gif

Assetto 2 in 2024 better step up the campaign efforts. And Controller support too.

Last edited:

freefornow

Gold Member
This game has the best lighitng of any console racer to date.
I have always been clear on Gaf that i lean heavily team green (for a whole range of reasons).

Have owned and played every Forza (and Horizon) that have been released, but there is definitely something off with some of the lighting in certain environments. And I'm not comparing it to GT7. This is my lived comparison with other Forza games. I cant quite put my finger on it, but some of the full daylight/sunny lighting just looks off to me.
(playing Performance RT-havent tried others yet)

The driving physics though get a huge chefs kiss from me.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Uhm, yes? Why the heck you even need a wheel to race against braindead AI lol?
its not that I need a wheel for AI racing, it's needed to get your foot in the door as controller support for many of these PC sims is abysmal. Forza and Gran Turismo do controller right as 99% of the userbase uses controller, but on PC where everything is hyper enthusiast these games are made for wheels and no other configuration. It's annoying.

Last edited:

xVodevil

Well if this is what it takes to have this game on steam... whatever
I would have loved to play FM 7 on steam to this day, but nah it is non existent. And my hate for trash MS store is around the same level as Epic...
So yeah whatever, game is not nearly as horrible as some other titles were already just this year. It's mostly okay for now and it'll definitely get better

damidu

It's down to 44%. I don't understand how so many games ended up in such a poor state even after lengthy delays.

Redfall, halo infinite, this. All near 1 year delays, all still in a poor release state regardless.
not to mention we are still waiting for standard day1 features for starfield, which they promised a month ago.
they are in a roll for sure.

Larxia

That's what $69.99 gets ya, folks. Stop buying and enabling this bullshit. lol
The worse to me is that on top of the game being 70$, this is the first thing you will see in the store page description :
FM_SKU_ComparisonChart_Steam_Update_600x338_EN.png

I know people are used to this, that it's the new norm, but I will never find it normal nor get used to it.
You buy an overpriced game already, and they clearly tell you that you're playing the "cheap" version. They make it feel like you're playing some free to play version or something and you have to pay 100$+ to get the real game.
Basically mocking you for getting the "standard" version.

It's absurd.

Last edited:

Fredrik

You need actual people testing the game for that, preferably professionals who have a good taste for quality games. But that costs money and somehow Microsoft are too cheap to pay for it.
How expensive would it actually be to let the fan I quoted play the game during dev?
Even I would’ve done better than the play tester group they used now. Why not just let your level progression sit on the driver/player instead of the individual car? The more you drive and upgrade no matter which car the more you level up.
As said in the OT, right now it’s as if you take Skyrim and upgrade your sword skills, then when you change to another sword you have to start from level 1 again. It makes no sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom