• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of the Year goes to ELDEN RING

Thanks god

Happy Big Lebowski GIF

ProtoByte

Gold Member
Good to see Dark Souls 2 DLC finally win an award.

Bloodborne>DS3>DS1>DS2>Elden Ring

Just goes to show you make anything open world and it will win GOTY by default.
If nothing else, it is quite funny how FromSofties make themselves seem like alt-gamers or some shit, then go crazy for an open world fully of many of the same faults they criticize "mainstream" games for.

Unrelated: God of War should've won Game Direction and Horizon probably should've won Soundtrack and Art Direction.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah! a billion times agree with GOTY 2022. It brought me closer to enjoying a game with “friends”. I didn’t get that from any other game this year. I felt like it was a collaboration, a journey, and appreciation of guidance. It was the ultimate adventure for me.

Good to see Dark Souls 2 DLC finally win an award.

Bloodborne>DS3>DS1>DS2>Elden Ring

Just goes to show you make anything open world and it will win GOTY by default.

If CoD goes open world next year, BOTW2 has no shot.

Don’t get your hate boner against ER

The open world is absolutely fantastic

It’s not perfect in other ways but it’s an impressive title and worthy of GOTY accolades even if it’s not my pick for it

-Zelda-

Banned
Not gonna lie, they really had me with each award GoW recieved. Has that happened before in these award shows? to get almost every other category you are in, but lose the last one?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Don’t get your hate boner against ER

The open world is absolutely fantastic

It’s not perfect in other ways but it’s an impressive title and worthy of GOTY accolades even if it’s not my pick for it
Im glad it won over GOW, but neither game deserved it. ER gave me massive DS2 vibes. I love souls games because of their metroidvania game design where exploring every inch felt rewarding. ER just gave me stuff i didnt need. its too big for its own good. the castle i explored felt like a massive drop in quality from Bloodborne and DS3.

I dont mind ubisoft open world games, but i dont go out giving them gotys either. HFW was a better open world game than ER. This is BOTW all over again. Gone are the carefully crafted dungeons and levels, and random far cry style outposts are in. yay?

Last edited:
honestly other than music gow probably won the awards it should have, and elden ring won the awards it should have. actually felt pretty fair and correct.

(direction could have been a toss up depending on how you interpret direction)

Didn't Ragnarok end up winning the most awards?

They had best Performer, best Audio design, best score/music, best action/adventure, best narrative and best innovation in accessibility
but they didn't win the main ones for direction and goty.

their awards will look good on a shelf until you ask what they are for,

Im glad it won over GOW, but neither game deserved it. ER gave me massive DS2 vibes. I love souls games because of their metroidvania game design where exploring every inch felt rewarding. ER just gave me stuff i didnt need. its too big for its own good. the castle i explored felt like a massive drop in quality from Bloodborne and DS3.

I dont mind ubisoft open world games, but i dont go out giving them gotys either. HFW was a better open world game than ER.

This is the worst take I’ve ever heard

HFW’s biggest issues is it’s amazing to look at, but otherwise completely uninteresting open world

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They couldve beaten ER with a better finale. Maybe if they didnt try to subvert our expectations and added Miljnor and made it next gen only pushing boundries instead of constant walking segments, it might have actually won GOTY.

Top Bottom