• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of the Year goes to ELDEN RING

Saber

Gold Member
Walter White GIF by Breaking Bad
damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

Valedix

Gold Member
From someone who doesn't even like or play souls games, the voice acting, graphics, music, environments for this game are simply amazing and the cultural impact of the game was something special.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is the worst take I’ve ever heard

HFW’s biggest issues is it’s amazing to look at, but otherwise completely uninteresting open world
I dont even think HFW shouldve been nominated for GOTY, but at least the game kept me going. ER just bored me to death just like BOTW.

These games are leaving the game design that made them so popular chasing Ass Creed and Far Cry formula and while others might love it, id rather have those hand crafted dungeons back.

Congratulations to Elden Ring! GOWR was my personal GOTY, but I can also see why ER would be it... I also really like ER!

I'm surprised Fares did remove that dumb ass himself or stop that idiot. Like WTF was that dummy even saying?!?!

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I missed the end. Did he roughly translate to saying “I may not make another game”. During his speech that’s what it sounded like ? At least not direct anymore bangers ?

Also, did some ass clown take the mic from him at the end and get cut off ? Lmao.

Stuart360

If you ain’t one of the toxic ER fanatics my comment doesn’t apply to you

Not butthurt at all, can easily see why ER wins it
Well you're accusing Eldern Ring fans of being undercover Xbox fanboys. I mean i'm sure there are a lot of Xbox fanboys that love Eldern Ring, as there will be a lot of Sony fanboys that love Eldern Ring, a lot of them probably love it way more than GOW too.

Stuart360

Agreed. It was SO early in the year too. 200+ hours in the game, and nothing else even came close this year. Won by a landslide for me in a variety of ways.
The world design is just second to none. I remember being like 80+ hours into the game, then finding these massive underground sections, huge city's glowing from lava, etc.
The game really is hand crafted to perfection.

Well you're accusing Eldern Ring fans of being undercover Xbox fanboys. I mean i'm sure there are a lot of Xbox fanboys that love Eldern Ring, as there will be a lot of Sony fanboys that love Eldern Ring, a lot of them probably love it way more than GOW too.

Some clearly are lol, the hate and garbage thrown at GoW by a small minority of fanatical folks is a bit much tho.

Mozzarella

Deserved, congrats to Elden Ring, already knew it would win.
Now im going to sleep its morning here, freaking TGA and their time.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
The world design is just second to none. I remember being like 80+ hours into the game, then finding these massive underground sections, huge city's glowing from lava, etc.
The game really is hand crafted to perfection.
Ditto! It felt like the first game in a LONG while that kept surprising me with how much content there was. When I thought I saw it all, I hadn't, and there was so much more. It was so refreshing.

Vick

Im glad it won over GOW,
This.
Hopefully it leads to SSM never ever trying again shit like Atreus sections, inspires them to make most of their next game like the Crater, and forces them to get rid of most of their writers.. even after winning undeservedly Best Narrative.

but neither game deserved it. ER gave me massive DS2 vibes. I love souls games because of their metroidvania game design where exploring every inch felt rewarding. ER just gave me stuff i didnt need. its too big for its own good. the castle i explored felt like a massive drop in quality from Bloodborne and DS3.

I dont mind ubisoft open world games, but i dont go out giving them gotys either. HFW was a better open world game than ER. This is BOTW all over again. Gone are the carefully crafted dungeons and levels, and random far cry style outposts are in. yay?
Well.. I agree. Metroidvania > Open World.

ProtoByte

Gold Member
Didn't Ragnarok end up winning the most awards?

They had best Performer, best Audio design, best score/music, best action/adventure, best narrative and best innovation in accessibility
I think it should've won Best Direction. Elden Ring is deficient in too many areas for it to have best direction. You can explain away GoTY with subjective feelings that can't be quantified, but the direction award clearly goes to Eric Williams.

Forbidden West deserved audio design.

DavidGzz

Not gonna lie, they really had me with each award GoW recieved. Has that happened before in these award shows? to get almost every other category you are in, but lose the last one?

One is a game ass game where you create your own character, forge your own path, choose your own weapons, and ultimately create your own experience, another is a fun ride that is meticulously crafted. GAME of the year should have gone to the former, and it did.

GenericUser

Elden Ring is definitely not for me, but I think it deserves the award. A lot of people really enjoyed it and it is a proper, complete single player game without predatory DLC tactics. That alone is an achievement nowadays.

Top Bottom