• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of the Year goes to ELDEN RING

Raven117

Gold Member
honestly other than music gow probably won the awards it should have, and elden ring won the awards it should have. actually felt pretty fair and correct.

(direction could have been a toss up depending on how you interpret direction)
I agree with this pretty much.

GoW had sky high production values… it just kinda lacked the “special sauce” that takes all of those solid parts and make it into a great game. I enjoyed my time with it, but just…. Wish it had a better story and better combat encounters (and better combat).

Elden Ring, I mean… nothing had a chance against it. That game is absolutely excellent on so many levels.

Airbus Jr

Banned
xCunzlL.jpg

rEsvPa9.jpg

:messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop::messenger_poop:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As if there ever was a doubt. Elden ring was miles ahead of anything this year.

Well deserved.
Also a new IP which helps. IMO, a new IP should get a brownie pt for being something different.

Back in the day when COD games were all getting about 90 scores and running away with console gamers picking it a the defacto shooter franchise, it would be pretty weird for game sites to give COD GOTY 5 years in a row.

BabyYoda

Banned
It made me laugh when people said a certain other game would win instead. Elden Ring is a once in a generation kind of game.

Yeah Dark Souls blew me away more (it was THE game of that generation), but ER took that formula, refined it and masterfully put it in a massive open world without it ending up full of Ubisoft map icon garbage. It was also the most accessible of the series.

Not sure how they did that!

Others need to stop copying the homework of those barely scraping a pass (they know who they are), if you're gonna rip off others, at least rip off the class genius!

Of course, that would require too much work and talent, so I'm not holding my breath on a huge sea change there, but hopefully ER's massive sales and this award will go some way to change things for the better.

Time will tell, in the meantime, congratulations to From and Miyazaki!

Last edited:
miyazaki said there is more elden ring coming. of course there is the coliseum update but i need a good expansion on the level of Old Hunters if not even better.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
So much salt in here.

Some of you are too much into scores. Play some games instead of always waving with scores and metacritic.

BRRROOO HOW CAN A GAME WITH THIS PS3 GRAPHICS WON FUKIN BULSHIITTTT

GOW RAGNAROK METASCORE WAS BOMBARDED BY FUKIN TROLL

Damn Sony fanboys so mad about not winning so they review bomb their own game.

You can't make this up.

TonyK

It's my game of the year so no problem for me. However, I would have no problem if Ragnarok had won because it was my second game of the year (a Plague tale Requiem was the third).

hinch7

Well deserved. Amazing game by Miyazaki and FromSoftware. My personal GOTY as well.

Shame that kid came in and spoiled his speech at the end.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

Elden Ring was able to reach out to people who hadn’t, or didn’t want to experience a souls game.
That on top of how great the game is made it an easy choice.

Fredrik

It’s my GOTY as well but I still haven’t finished Ragnarök so can’t take part in that heated discussion, yet.

deeptech

This year's GOTY Awards had to be rigged.
GOW Ragnarök has:
Better Graphics
Better Story
Better Combat
Better Music/Audio
Better Performance
Innovation in Accessibility
Little to no bugs
List goes on.
you're out of your fucking mind or trolling at best

wasn't hard since elden ring was the only game that came out this year, nothing else is even worth mentioning, but still glad people love videogames instead of eating shit

Top Bottom