• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights apparently is locked 4k/30fps on consoles

angrod14

TLOU is not pushing the boundaries of what’s possible on PS5. Sorry, it’s still using last gen tech. There’s not even any ray tracing and barely any screen space reflections. It’s mostly cube map reflections from what I could see. Nothing groundbreaking here. It also still uses prebaked lighting.
They are still the graphical reference, pretty much, no matter what their technical limitations are. Miles Morales & Forbidden West are examples of "highly detailed open-world games" that look leagues ahead of this, even if they're not a showcase of the best the PS5 can do. Fucking Elden Ring looks way ahead of this.

Also, no sane dev is going to prioritize "ray-tracing" over performance. Sony & MS are advertising these as 8K/120fps machines. It would be really foolish from them to give the players last-gen resolution and performance. These aren't enthusiast expectations anymore.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Read it again. Im not saying PS5 and XSX cant run it. Im saying the XSS cant.
And im saying thats bullshit because there are other games with co op that runs at different res/fps on the other consoles and pc. Just because the XSS can't run it isn't a excuse or a reason to not include it on the other consoles. This is not even a p2p multiplayer game it just doesn't make sense. They are just lazy or inexperienced (probably both) and are looking for excuses. And if a 2022 game doesn't look that much better than a game released in 2015 on PS4/XO thats running on a next gen console with 4TF RDNA2 and 8 core Ryzen than the least i expect is 1080p60.

Last edited:

sendit

And im saying thats bullshit because there are other games with co op that runs at different res/fps on the other consoles and pc. Just because the XSS can't run it isn't a excuse or a reason to not include it on the other consoles. This is not even a p2p multiplayer game it just doesn't make sense. They are just lazy or inexperienced (probably both) and are looking for excuses. And if a 2022 game doesn't look that much better than a game released in 2015 on PS4/XO thats running on a next gen console with 4TF RDNA2 and 8 core Ryzen than the least i expect is 1080p60.

I'll always laugh at people here calling developers lazy. Not knowing how much time and effort goes in to developing these games. Comparing X games development cycle to Y game. This game may be an indicator of things to come with third party releases. XSS could be this generations kryptonite.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I'll always laugh at people here calling developers lazy. Not knowing how much time and effort goes in to developing these games. Comparing X games development cycle to Y game. This game may be an indicator of things to come with third party releases. XSS could be this generations kryptonite.
Yup XSS is the reason why there is no 60fps mode on the other consoles. Just like there is no 60fps on a pc with a RTX 4090 because the other systems intel hd can't run it at 60fps... oh wait. Just look at the best looking games right now, 90% of them are cross gen and they look alot better than this and most of them (if not all) have 60fps options. Even if the XSS didn't exist they still wouldn't add a 60fps mode on launch because they are simply lazy or inexperienced as i said. Also if they think asking 80€ is fair for a next gen game than its fair for me to expect a game to look and perfom like a next gen game.

This game been downgraded since it’s original reveal in 2020 and now it looks so damn graphically inferior and it’s just 30fps 🤣. Would’ve considered checking it out but even the combat looks so damn bland from previews. Guess the team that did Arkham Origins are no longer left behind at WBMontreal.

Lokaum D+

Imagine living in a world where this runs at 60fps

0luafTk.jpg

And this dont

ckf6yAb.jpg

Klosshufvud

Imagine living in a world where this runs at 60fps

0luafTk.jpg

And this dont

ckf6yAb.jpg
I was playing Ghost of Tsushima on PS5. 60 fps, one of the prettiest games I've ever seen. Now Tsushima is of course heavily stylized which generally spares rendering power. That Gotham game would have so much to gain from a proper visual identity rather than going for the standard UE4 look. The Arkham games were visually bold too, so it's not so unpredecented here. Devs inspire little confidence here.

93xfan

Banned
If we’re pulling from DC, then this dev could be this gen’s Joker.

Wait, is the Joker considered lazy?

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
Please take a moment to press F for our fallen comrade Assurdum.

He had you 30fps console players covered with some 'sound' advice about turning on motion interpolation on your TVs.

"You realize you will see every game in 1080p 60hz as your output right?"

-Aaron Greenberg WB dev.

TonyK

Yup XSS is the reason why there is no 60fps mode on the other consoles. Just like there is no 60fps on a pc with a RTX 4090 because the other systems intel hd can't run it at 60fps... oh wait. Just look at the best looking games right now, 90% of them are cross gen and they look alot better than this and most of them (if not all) have 60fps options. Even if the XSS didn't exist they still wouldn't add a 60fps mode on launch because they are simply lazy or inexperienced as i said. Also if they think asking 80€ is fair for a next gen game than its fair for me to expect a game to look and perfom like a next gen game.
I don't understand that logic. All games could have been 60fps in PS4 if the devs would have prioritized fps over IQ, but they simply choose graphics over framerate.

People use in this thread examples like Horizon FW, but that game at 60fps looks like PS4 to me. It's not like The Last of us remake where 30fps and 60fps look exactly the same except resolution. I can imagine a developer that doesn't want that compromise. And I'm not speaking about Gotham Knights but about the next Rockstar or Naughty Dog game.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So I went over to my friend's house, he told me he got 32gb of RAM for his PC, upgrading from his 16gb and then I told him "You know the human eye can only see 16gb of ram, right?" he laughed at me and then showed me his PC, I asked him why the RAM was missing, he looked in shock and saw that it was gone, his ram boxes vanished too. Then my friend tried to turn on his PC, but it didn't work, he told me that it worked earlier, but then he remembered... His PC never worked after upgrading his RAM, so he put his old ram back in and it turned on. Then we searched on the internet about this, and every article by consolepeasnat.cum said that it is in fact true. We looked up 32gb ram online, but it was just invisible, like it wasn't there, we couldn't see it. We went to a store and the maximum ram we could find was 16gb, we asked the employees and they told us they had none. We were panicing, is it really true, can the human eye only see 16gb of ram? And it infact was true, and sadly we both had to live with a maximum of 16gb of ram.

obviously some people didnt notice that my previous comment was /s

I play some games in 30fps, I cope with it with not playing any other game that's 60fps and only play that game until I beat it like I did with HFW before their very late proper 60fps vs their shimmer fest. I also prefer filming in 24fps because it's more "eye-pleasing" unless it has some erratic movement like in movies then it's a blur mess. For football (AKA football) I prefer 60fps and film in 120fps (delivered in 60fps).

Also thanks for that troll post.:messenger_winking_tongue:

DragonNCM

This is so bullshit excuse from developers for their incompetence, targeting Series S.
And you guys baited like yоung monkeys & start trashing the console & started bulshit warring.
Don't tell me that Series S is holding XSX & PS5 because IT IS NOT !!!
After all, limit FUCKING series S to 30fps with graphic on low, people will get what they pay for.
They implemented 1080p dynamic for XSS without raytracing and they can't do the same for PS5 & XSX on 1440P dynamic/60FPS?
Their excuse for 30fps & spaghetti code who can't even have multiple graphic settings in 2022 is totally bullshit.
I would understand this if game was some graphic miracle with cutting age gameplay who will stress consoles......but this ?

hemo memo

Gold Member
It was on my wishlist but not anymore. I have 0 tolerance for laziness. I work hard. They should too. I don’t think anyone on here will defend me for being lazy. You shouldn’t defend them either.

reektann

This is so bullshit excuse from developers for their incompetence, targeting Series S.
And you guys baited like yоung monkeys & start trashing the console & started bulshit warring.
After all, limit FUCKING series S to 30fps with graphic on low, people will get what they pay for.
They implemented 1080p dynamic for XSS without raytracing and they can't do the same for PS5 & XSX on 1440P dynamic/60FPS?
Their excuse for 30fps & spaghetti code who can't even have multiple graphic settings in 2022 is totally bullshit.
I would understand this if game was some graphic miracle with cutting age gameplay who will stress consoles......but this ?

Ughhh just seeing all the enemies with GaaS types levels floating above their heads made me feel sad. I miss the story driven Batman games :(

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member

This 100%.

That excuse make 0 sense. We’ve seen it on other games. Limit Series S and give the options for the stronger console. It is a stupid illogical excuse. It is like saying an old gen excuse of running horribly on PS4 and Xbox one because it is also on Wii. Or saying a PS5/Series X version of a game is running badly because it is also being developed on Switch. How does that make any sense? And people are buying it??!!

Interfectum

You are all spoiled with two years of cross gen games. Easy to make performance modes.

True next gen games will start trending 30 fps only in the coming years.

Note: I’m not defending this game. Looks shit. Just prepare yourselves for more of this.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Most won’t. Once we get past cross gen it’s going to be harder to make those compromises if they want to push graphical fidelity.
the above will be fidelity mode 30 fps.
If the devs want to, they could do a 60fps mode with lower visual settings.

Its the same thing as cross gen games, in the end its up to the devs to be lazy or not.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Why is everyone quoting this Lee fella?

He isn't part of Warner Bros and isn't working on Gotham knights.

Oh, cause it helps push a narrative for those to dunk on the series s?

I don't care for the console, but we've seen a few games release at 30fps for series s and then 60fps for series X & ps5.

& Even some of these games that started 30fps on the series s later got good 60fps updates.

I hope Gotham Knights gets a 60fps update in the future and I hope the game turns out to be a good fun experience too.

Anyway, it might be a good idea for remember_spinal remember_spinal to put the confirmation from the Dev on the discord in the opening thread post. :)

Skifi28

Most won’t. Once we get past cross gen it’s going to be harder to make those compromises if they want to push graphical fidelity.
The only "game" we've seen so far that would justify 30fps only would be the matrix demo using all the bells and whistles of UE5. And even epic came out and said they've optimised the engine for 60fps modes to use on consoles.

Last edited:

Interfectum

the above will be fidelity mode 30 fps.
If the devs want to, they could do a 60fps mode with lower visual settings.

Its the same thing as cross gen games, in the end its up to the devs to be lazy or not.
You are assuming they can maintain locked 30 fps in fidelity mode. History has shown frame rate is always sacrificed first.

In 2025 fidelity mode will be sub 30, performance will be locked 30.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
You are all spoiled with two years of cross gen games. Easy to make performance modes.

True next gen games will start trending 30 fps only in the coming years.

Note: I’m not defending this game. Looks shit. Just prepare yourselves for more of this.
If Bluepoint can provide games that look as good as the demons souls remake, at 60fps for all of the generation I’m fine with that. It’s not a cross gen game.
If we begin hitting that point I will just probably stop buying games that are capped at 30fps. But I hope we continue to have the options.

TrebleShot

This developer on Twitter has wound me up a little , he works and has a job not because of some entitlement but because Rocksteady are a popular developer who have made a name for themselves by making high quality immersive experiences and have been financially successful in doing so. Therefore they are able to hire developers and fund further experiences to continue the cycle.

Us their customers who spend their hard earned cash on often bloated over priced games have a set of standards (that are thankfully now standards) and won’t spend our money on unoptimised clutter cookie crap just cos “game dev is hard”.

Any development studio or company that doesn’t listen to its customers and feedback is basically on a road to failure and deservedly so.

This kind of pissy attitude does not help either.

Fucking joker.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
You are assuming they can maintain locked 30 fps in fidelity mode. History has shown frame rate is always sacrificed first.

In 2025 fidelity mode will be sub 30, performance will be locked 30.
that doesnt make any sense...at all.

As i said, they can tweak and lower the settings if they want.

Whether 30 fps can run at a fixed 30 fps or not, has nothing to do with performance mode 60fps. Both are separate visual modes.

Thats what we called "optimization".

You seems to forget that so far most of the games we get were cross gen games, the full potential of the current gen console is not yet utilize yet.
What makes you so sure that we get a sub 30 and a locked 30 mode? thats just stupid.
"hey guys, our game will feature two visual mode, one is subpar 30fps and another is locked 30fps", that sound dumb as fuck lol

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I believe most would. This is a case of 1 or 2 devs. We have been getting graphical settings since the refresh consoles of last gen. Why would that change suddenly now? This isn’t a case of a dev with a big demanding game they couldn’t make it to run at 60fps. This is a dev who didn’t even bother to try. You are telling me they can’t get this turd fest looking of a game to run at 60fps/1080P?

twilo99

Why are they locking the frame rate at all?

They should have “unlocked frame rate” mode and let the user decide if they want locked 30 after seeing what their machine is capable of with VRR…

hemo memo

Gold Member
Why are they locking the frame rate at all?

They should have “unlocked frame rate” mode and let the user decide if they want locked 30 after seeing what their machine is capable of with VRR…
Because it is easier to have one setting and be done with it.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
All they have to do is ignore pixel counting wankers such as Digital Foundry and they can do 1440p 60 FPS high to ultra settings... But no, Console MORONS want 4k... mah 4k mah 4k!

If this was / had a 60 FPS option We'd have posts to the likes off "cut backs made to hit 60 fps"

They can't win.
1440P/60 is fine for me for the vast majority of games. If we can sustain that for this generation then I’ll be pretty happy.

Top Bottom