• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights apparently is locked 4k/30fps on consoles

Comandr

Who cares! It is a scientific fact that the human eye cannot tell the difference. In fact i'd argue that 60 fps looks worse. 60 fps is too smooth, it's like petting a shark, the scales (frames) are too smooth so it cuts your hand (eyes), while 30 fps is nice and stable and gives you a better immersion because the frames travel a longer distance so the world looks bigger
This is such a good analogy.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Who cares! It is a scientific fact that the human eye cannot tell the difference. In fact i'd argue that 60 fps looks worse. 60 fps is too smooth, it's like petting a shark, the scales (frames) are too smooth so it cuts your hand (eyes), while 30 fps is nice and stable and gives you a better immersion because the frames travel a longer distance so the world looks bigger
Billy Madison Shut Up GIF

“The world looks bigger” what, it’s a refresh rate. I can tell the difference in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

I give it a couple of months post-release, they'll add a 60 FPS mode like Watch Dogs: Legion.

I don't think this games engine/pipeline is based solely on RT like Metro Exodus EE, and on PC you will have equivalent options to turn RT off.

So, to get 60 FPS on consoles, take out RT, make the resolution scale dynamically and reduce settings.

No one is asking the developers to compromise on their vision, folks will be happy with an option to toggle between the two modes at will.
yeah, after I finished game (or sold it if its to crappy to even finish it) ;d

Last edited:

proandrad

This game has been delayed multiple times and game optimizations are the last thing game devs do before a game releases. The fact the game doesn’t even have a VRR fps unlocked mode says this game is coming in hot. Smells like we have a cyberpunk style launch again. Get your popcorn out boys, we are in for a show.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I would consider this an exception. If the resolution is close to or native 4K, then 60 fps at lower resolutions should be no problem. I doubt this game bottlenecks the CPU or memory that hard to justify 30 fps at lower resolution. Expect a dynamic 1440p 60 fps patch down the line. These consoles are technically still really powerful with tons of tricks to enable 60 fps gameplay.
Shouldn’t need to trick anything to hit 60 on these consoles. It’s fucking laziness is what it is.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
lmao at people being fine with 1080p in 2022. Now THAT shit is ugly.

Id understand the uproar if they came out and said our game runs at 1080p

Last edited:
I ran it 1080p60 on my GTX 970 without any problems.
Think they’re referring to the original release where it was ported over by a separate company, and had a huge number of issues including the fact Nvidia rain and water tech that they’d been touting in previews (with Nvidia logos plastered all over) wasn’t actually in the initial PC release. WB literally pulled the game off Steam after that.

Last edited:

Md Ray

It's true Plague Tale Requiem probably won't suffer that much from 30fps, but if you've played Plague Tale Innocence in 30fps on last gen consoles and then in 60fps on current gen hardware you'll immediately notice how much better the overall experience is. I'd pick 60fps for Plague Tale Requiem even if that meant a significant hit in the graphics quality.
The reduced input lag going from 30 to 60 alone is worth it.

That rocksteady dev is an embarrassment, there is no way in hell your game runs at UHD/30fps (+ RT) but can't manage to run at 1080p-1440p/60fps, on the same hardware.
Muting the thread isn't enough, delete your entire twitter profile while you're at it.

IT MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE
Yeah it's just insane lol. Dude literally just wanted to talk shit to people, inject himself into the conversation, and spoke as of he had the answers...while telling people he had no clue what he was talking about.

Perhaps he should've just shut the fuck up and let WB Montreal do the talking since he admitted he has no earthly idea what they're thinking.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 didnt mean to quote you bro hit the button and couldn't figure out how to remove it. Had an edible for breakfast and lunch snacks okay 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

gold-jerry.gif

You know, I'm not a programmer (or a rocket scientist here) but I'm pretty sure they can release a 60fps version at 1080p. Hell, you can even do a 45fps version at a lower resolution if need be.

None of that takes any additional programming to implement.
Could they, sure, but then console exclusive players will still moan and complain cause now the game looks like shit. As the dev pointed out a lot of concessions have to be made for some games to hit a 60fps target. But yet people expect them to just somehow brute force it to work without sacrificing visual quality but if the hardware isn't there for such a task it's simply not gonna happen.

DeaDPo0L84

At this point, my goal is to buy a prebuilt 4090 gaming pc next year. I think im done with consoles, except for nintendo systems. The new consoles are great, but i dont want to have to choose between a high resolution or good frame rate anymore, and i certainly dont want to put up with 30 fps anymore if there isnt an option. My budget is about 5 grand so hopefully i can find a good prebuilt next year with that card
You can buy 4090 pre-built now for under $5k, so in a years time it'll be even cheaper when more options are available and launch hype is over.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6522892.p?skuId=6522892

Last edited:
Lel at the people who take this game as a reference for what performance will be in general on current gen. Part I and Demon Souls are current gen exclusives and absolutely rape this game visually while running at 1440p and 60 fps. TLOU even runs at 90+ fps in Performance Unlocked Mode.

Hell, every single cross gen game to date running at 60 fps looks way better than this.

These Gotham Knights devs obviously either fucked it up during development, or for whatever reason didn't have according standards for visuals and performance.
TLOU is not pushing the boundaries of what’s possible on PS5. Sorry, it’s still using last gen tech. There’s not even any ray tracing and barely any screen space reflections. It’s mostly cube map reflections from what I could see. Nothing groundbreaking here. It also still uses prebaked lighting.

Umbasaborne

Banned
You can buy 4090 pre-built now for under $5k, so in a years time it'll be even cheaper when more options are available and launch hype is over.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6522892.p?skuId=6522892
Ive never owned a pc before, i have an lg oled c1, can i just hook it up to my tv instead of buying a monitor? I dont plan on playing most games with a keyboard and mouse, ill just use an xbox controller, so i imagine i can just use a wireless keyboard plus mouse combo on my coffee table for any navigation of steam/windows?

DeaDPo0L84

Ive never owned a pc before, i have an lg oled c1, can i just hook it up to my tv instead of buying a monitor? I dont plan on playing most games with a keyboard and mouse, ill just use an xbox controller, so i imagine i can just use a wireless keyboard plus mouse combo on my coffee table for any navigation of steam/windows?
Yes to all your questions. It'd hook up to your TV through HDMI and you'll be good to go for 4k/120. With a 4090 you'll actually be able to hit that resolution/performance without having to sacrifice visuals.

Their are plenty of good wireless kb/m plus pads to rest them on. But obviously you can use a Xbox controller or even a Playstation one to play any games.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

WTF, mate? I film with my Sony a7sIII in 4K@24fps, 60fps, and 120fps. And looking through the viewfinder that has 240Hz refresh rate it's insanely smooth that looks near reality. No, people can see way more than that.

The human eye can see at around 60 FPS and potentially a little more. Some humans believe they can see up to 240 FPS, and some testing has been done to prove this. Getting humans to see the difference between something that is 60 FPS and 240 FPS should be rather easy.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How low would the potato S have to go though?

They don't have to do that at launch. There have been a few games like Dying Light 2 which skipped 60 FPS modes on Series S at launch and only added it months later. I think it's a bit unfair to put this specific game not having a 60 FPS mode on Series S.

bender

What time is it?
They don't have to do that at launch. There have been a few games like Dying Light 2 which skipped 60 FPS modes on Series S at launch and only added it months later. I think it's a bit unfair to put this specific game not having a 60 FPS mode on Series S.

I blame the Steam Deck. PC Gaming is always holding the industry back!

LordCBH

Not quite sure why they cancelled the last Gen versions if this is the best they can do with a very last Gen looking title on current Gen hardwsre.

Puscifer

If you really cared about having options you'd get a PC, that's what it comes down too. No amount complaining and getting mad will solve this problem.

There's a solution, buy in or take what you get it's literally why you buy consoles, to not worry and put the disc in and play.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What a bullshit excuse from the dev, it's embarrassing

So they optimize it to the Series S and somewhat that means it runs on 30fps also big consoles?!

That's the most stupid and disingenuous damage control I've heard.

This game will be probably just a bad project with bad funding since they cannot even get multiple configs depending on platform

Any game is developed with PC scaling in mind (outside of exclusive ones) and especially when the game in developed on known engine, with great scaling capabilities, this excuse hopefully won't run around people who game often and are active on forums and stuff.

Even for the angle for using it as a console wars makes no sense, because devs basically saying that you won't get better version of the game on the PS5, because we are lazy asses.

TVexperto

WTF, mate? I film with my Sony a7sIII in 4K@24fps, 60fps, and 120fps. And looking through the viewfinder that has 240Hz refresh rate it's insanely smooth that looks near reality. No, people can see way more than that.

The human eye can see at around 60 FPS and potentially a little more. Some humans believe they can see up to 240 FPS, and some testing has been done to prove this. Getting humans to see the difference between something that is 60 FPS and 240 FPS should be rather easy.

So I went over to my friend's house, he told me he got 32gb of RAM for his PC, upgrading from his 16gb and then I told him "You know the human eye can only see 16gb of ram, right?" he laughed at me and then showed me his PC, I asked him why the RAM was missing, he looked in shock and saw that it was gone, his ram boxes vanished too. Then my friend tried to turn on his PC, but it didn't work, he told me that it worked earlier, but then he remembered... His PC never worked after upgrading his RAM, so he put his old ram back in and it turned on. Then we searched on the internet about this, and every article by consolepeasnat.cum said that it is in fact true. We looked up 32gb ram online, but it was just invisible, like it wasn't there, we couldn't see it. We went to a store and the maximum ram we could find was 16gb, we asked the employees and they told us they had none. We were panicing, is it really true, can the human eye only see 16gb of ram? And it infact was true, and sadly we both had to live with a maximum of 16gb of ram.

obviously some people didnt notice that my previous comment was /s

Last edited:

spartan30gr

Wb montreal is a lazy bad company
Look back then how projects they cancels in the past ,because trouble in the development over the years
But this excuses from then for the only 30fps cap,is like as bad fucking joke

Last edited:
Not quite sure why they cancelled the last Gen versions if this is the best they can do with a very last Gen looking title on current Gen hardwsre.

Maybe it’s the last generation version with a current generation price tag

Conspiracy/developmenthell.gif ......

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just saw this in a tweet by Tom Warren.

Minmum specs are RX 590. A 7 tflops polaris GPU. XSS is 4 tflops RDNA which means its 5 tflops Polaris or equivalent to a RX 570. 2 tflops below minimum requirement for 1080p 60 fps on low settings.

It's possible that due to the coop nature of the game they didnt want to limit xsx owners to the xsx pool and they downgraded the PS5 version to keep parity.

FfF7y-GWYAAXdnJ

MAX PAYMENT

Best satire post I've read in a while. Even better that people were genuinely too clueless to realize it was satire.

LordCBH

Minmum specs are RX 590. A 7 tflops polaris GPU. XSS is 4 tflops RDNA which means its 5 tflops Polaris or equivalent to a RX 570. 2 tflops below minimum requirement for 1080p 60 fps on low settings.

It's possible that due to the coop nature of the game they didnt want to limit xsx owners to the xsx pool and they downgraded the PS5 version to keep parity.

FfF7y-GWYAAXdnJ

100% willing to bet the game runs fine on stuff way older than those to be honest.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

FfF7y-GWYAAXdnJ
Look at the ram requirements. 8 gb on top of the vram built into those gous. Xss only has 7.5 gb of total ram
i7fUw3F.jpg

khaby-lame-gif.gif

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
did you even read the post???
I did but it didn't make sense. Its just bullshit that the lowest pc req. are for 60fps while consoles that are roughly equall to a RTX 2080 can't even have that option. Do you honestly think that the PS5/XSX can't run this game at high/med settings without RT running min 1440p at 60fps? And that ram excuse is straight out bullshit since pc req. total ram is always way higher on pc, just like last gen. I mean look at this, how was this game able to run on PS4/Pro with 8gb total ram?
gm-4093b241-3ef5-47c7-bab7-0f963655257e-god-of-war-pc-specs-revealed.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I did but it didn't make sense. Its just bullshit that the lowest pc req. are for 60fps while consoles that are roughly equall to a RTX 2080 can't even have that option. Do you honestly think that the PS5/XSX can't run this game at high/med settings without RT running min 1440p at 60fps? And that ram excuse is straight out bullshit since pc req. total ram is always way higher on pc, just like last gen. I mean look at this, how was this game able to run on PS4/Pro with 8gb total ram?
Read it again. Im not saying PS5 and XSX cant run it. Im saying the XSS cant.

Top Bottom