• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights |OT| Batfamily

Who's your main?

• Batgirl

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • Robin

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Night Wing

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Red Hood

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
pBsrnVy.jpg

Developer: WB Games Montréal
Platform(s): PC, PS5, Xbox Series X|S
5Nf4bFN.jpg

M0hbr1G.jpg

9GPtZY4.jpg

jBK57kd.jpg

h6e4XtH.jpg

DonJorginho

Banned
Just hope enough people play it to make it worthwhile lol. I have access to it via primary/secondary account but haven't started it yet. Not been on top of OTs because of work and some illness 🙈
It's a great OT as always man, top work.

Sorry to hear you've been unwell, hoping you're feeling somewhat better and back to normal. A lot of bugs going around this time of year.

I'll definitely be checking this game out due to a friend gifting me a copy and I want to like the game due to my previous admiration of WB Montreal for their work on Origins but so far the game seems a mixed bag, nonetheless I'll check out this thread to see what the people think!

GymWolf

copy\paste a post i made in the other topic:

Play more, not sure what difficulty you chose but the game on hard is way less button mashing than the other arkham games where you can't just stay still and counter almost everything, also the range of the sliding is smaller, some positional awereness is needed if you wanna dance between enemies ,you still slide but not downright fly like batman, the game also improves the more enemy type you discover and the more ability you unlock, the game imo require more thinking and less button mashing to look good and be fluid like a dance, not sure if i'm clear.

but yeah It is a bit janky sometimes not gonna lie, especially some precision movements while hanging\platforming and sometimes the character decide to attack another enemy if there is a group around you if you start button mashing and moving the stick (this is why i say that this play better when you don't button mash)

The grappling hook is fine to me, is super arcadey on purpose and you can use it to grapple and jump around the city pretty fast, and i didn't even unlocked any traversal ability for any character, i don't use the bike because on pc it cause wild framerate flactuations.

Also some character just feel better to use, for now if i have to make a preference list it would be:

robin
batgirl\redhood
wingdude (he feels the one with more longer animation for the light attacks even if redhood is slower in theory)

This is an action rpg, it has levels, a bit spongey enemies, loot, builds, skill trees etc, if people expect this to play like the past games they probably didn't even watched the overview trailer.

Suicide squad is probably gonna be more similar to past arkham games.

New part:

People are gonna "enjoy" the combat when they stop trying to play like an arkham game, the game is a bit slower, it has a bit more longer animations for some light hits so it feels like it has a bit of input lag (it vary from moveset to moveset), it doens't feel snappy like the arkham games, and if you button mash with a group around, your attack are gonna be all over the place (the soft lock is a bit shitty sometimes), space out the enemies (but not too much that you can't reach it if you wanna change target), try to always have a single enemy in front of you and do some chip damage to the others with the ranged attacks when they come close, it is not a combat system where you feel at home from the get go because of the general jank, you have to circle around the jank and understand the rhythm, it sound bad but the more you play the better if feels.
I guess that playing piranha bite games prepared me for any type of jank :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Before people start talking shit, i'm kinda doing devil advocate here, the game is honestly no more than a 6, maybe 7 if you are an ultra fanboy of batman universe, it's not worth 70 dollars, i only bought it because i saved 40 euros from saintw row and i need something to play before ragnarock but the right price is around 30 dollars\euros.

P.s. do the grind for the traversal abilities as a first thing, the bike is meh and the grapple hook is fast but not THAT fast.

Last edited:

Isa

Thanks for the OT, mighty brave. I too main Batgirl. For me its been fun since I enjoyed but didn't love the Arkham games. Mainly because I like the other characters more, and prefer playing as the ladies. So after getting all the other games and enjoying the dlc for them, I finally got my wish of having a main game with other heroes. Performance has been fine, story starts off well and I like the fight scene. I think the moves are cool especially finishers. Its noticeable the difference in the combat system from the prior titles, I'm liking it so far. Its different enough for me from all the other WB/Spooderman games thankfully while still being very familiar. I think the game still looks quite good and is getting far more hate than it deserves which is a shame that people can worked into such a frenzy so easily.

Its too easy to be so dismissive and throw out "its shit" etc to justify berating something or passing on it. I've seen this so many times over the years and while I expect it from the community as that's what many do, they talk, speculate and war over games and systems but don't really seem to actually play them. Plus its their dollerydoo that's on the line. But I haven't seen the "content creator" crowd flock to create hate content for a game like this in a long time. Its like they were starving for some reason to make videos that'd draw in the clicks. Reminds me of Youtube around 2017-18 with Jim Sterling, Angry Joe, Skill Up and countless others.

I get the critique from gamers that just wanted to play the Bat. And another Arkham title. And the 60fps4lyfe crowd. If you like the more action orientated side of the universe, and a decent 3D brawler(with co-op) this is a good time. There's been some serious hyperbole with statements by unnecessarily angry people saying that anybody that liked the game's opinion is now void.
Santana Lopez Wtf GIF
Benny Hill What GIF

It's just a game dude chill, if it interests you enjoy, maybe snag it on a sale which it no doubt will be on soon especially with Black Friday approaching. If not move on. It's a luxury hobby, not every piece of media need be consumed.

Was playing on Hard up until level 10ish, where special enemies started to become WAY too tanky... like 5 takedowns to take down a single drone operator, even after upgrading my gear. Not very fun when you're also being zerged by 10 other enemies.
So I turned it down to Medium and now enemies go down too quick lol. Wish there was a middle ground between the two.

But yeah aside from that I'm digging it so far. Really wish it was better optimized on PC, though. My CPU is taking a beating but my GPU has topped out at 58C, which is incredibly low for a brand new 'next gen' release.

Salz01

I like the game. On PC. Kind of bummed the story is just a few hours. Not sure what’s to do after finishing the game. Hope they have some sort of roadmap. On a side note, not sure if it’s just me but it seems like a Scooby Doo game if they were grown up. Especially playing Batgirl and some of the puzzle solving.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Its too easy to be so dismissive and throw out "its shit" etc to justify berating something or passing on it. I've seen this so many times over the years and while I expect it from the community as that's what many do, they talk, speculate and war over games and systems but don't really seem to actually play them. Plus its their dollerydoo that's on the line. But I haven't seen the "content creator" crowd flock to create hate content for a game like this in a long time. Its like they were starving for some reason to make videos that'd draw in the clicks. Reminds me of Youtube around 2017-18 with Jim Sterling, Angry Joe, Skill Up and countless others.
Yeah, i saw this a lot from bandwagon haters last gen. Games with great combat systems like Anthem, Mass Effect Andromeda, Metal Gear Survive, Days Gone and TLOU2 were trashed like they are the worst games ever. Hell, the critics tried to do that by lowballing the review scores of Destiny but Bungie had done 2 long betas of the game so everyone knew that the gameplay was excellent before launch. Otherwise, those games wouldve been DOA if we had listened to the VideoGameDunkeys and Angry Joe of the world.

I preordered the game after playing Arkham last week but ended up cancelling it after seeing PC GPU utilization around 70%, but now it turns out that only happens during bike riding so maybe I will go and buy it. I really liked Origins and I know even if the studio is bad at optimization, they are not bad at making video games.

Thanks for your impressions.

Hot5pur

I like the game. On PC. Kind of bummed the story is just a few hours. Not sure what’s to do after finishing the game. Hope they have some sort of roadmap. On a side note, not sure if it’s just me but it seems like a Scooby Doo game if they were grown up. Especially playing Batgirl and some of the puzzle solving.
I think the story being just a few hours is misinformation. There is enough unique/interesting content to last 20 hours before repetition sets in.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Red Hood here, but after 7 hours on PC and the issues there I'm thinking if giving it a rest until its patched, coop constantly disconnects and my mates game crashes regularly even with the latest drivers making that even worse.

Game feels about Saints Row reboot quality, I mean you can have fun with that type of game but it's certainly not an experience I'm going to remember or recommend.

Isa

Yeah, i saw this a lot from bandwagon haters last gen. Games with great combat systems like Anthem, Mass Effect Andromeda, Metal Gear Survive, Days Gone and TLOU2 were trashed like they are the worst games ever. Hell, the critics tried to do that by lowballing the review scores of Destiny but Bungie had done 2 long betas of the game so everyone knew that the gameplay was excellent before launch. Otherwise, those games wouldve been DOA if we had listened to the VideoGameDunkeys and Angry Joe of the world.

I preordered the game after playing Arkham last week but ended up cancelling it after seeing PC GPU utilization around 70%, but now it turns out that only happens during bike riding so maybe I will go and buy it. I really liked Origins and I know even if the studio is bad at optimization, they are not bad at making video games.

Thanks for your impressions.
Ah man that's so true. Those games were panned so hard, but they certainly aren't bad at all. To be fair I'm only around 6hrs so far so I'd say pretty early on but its been fun. Luckily I haven't encountered any bugs or such things. The bike does seem to be a frame dropper but nothing I couldn't handle thankfully.

I tried it at a friends this afternoon. PS5 version. It’s not a current generation game imo and makes you wonder what the PS4/XB1 versions were like if this is what they deliver on better hardware.

It’s pretty obvious this had been a DC take on Crystal Dynamics Avengers during development, the Knight system, the UI set up and so on, now it’s a plaster job on what the real intentions were for the game.

And given the asking price , I’m not at all impressed with Warner. Some will no doubt forgive them once the inevitable blog posts arrive, detailing their fixes and improvements and thanking people for feedback. It’s most obnoxious defenders labelling people haters for hoping to see a quality product in the first fucking place.

👎

SJRB

Gold Member
There's no way the Knighthood stuff is not bugged, right? Why do I have to do the exact same thing for all four characters? Even the Timed Strike Training tutorial?

Man if this is intentional.. What a retarded way to add padding.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
7 hours in and I’ve achieved Knighthood, but haven’t done Harley mission yet.

Game is pretty smooth and looks great on my 3070 TI. There was some hitching but when I turned off of ray tracing that pretty much resolved that.

Overall I’m actually enjoying the game. Wasn’t expecting much based on the reviews but I’m having fun just superhero-ing around the city, kind of like in the Spider-Man game. With glide unlocked and the bat motorcycle, traversal is pretty awesome. You can zip/glide around and drop right on enemies, kick their ass and then zip out and do the next one. Satisfying.

DonJorginho

Banned
There's no way the Knighthood stuff is not bugged, right? Why do I have to do the exact same thing for all four characters? Even the Timed Strike Training tutorial?

Man if this is intentional.. What a retarded way to add padding.
It's fully intentional, remember SkillUp tearing that part of the game apart in his review.

YMMV, but i've been just invading ppls games and i notice theres always premeditated crimes ready when i do that. Instead of having to grind crimes to unlock them in my own game.

I thought when u join a game that it puts u at the level of the host? Idk what was going on but there was one game i joined and i was one shotting everyone easily.

SJRB

Gold Member
My enjoyment is kinda nosediving now that they've added heavies to every mob group. This shit is not really fun to fight.

Also I can't wrap my head around how bad the menus are. There's something extremely counterintuitive about the way they are structured and how you navigate them. It's a constant source of annoyance.

And why does Barbara's cape not get caught in the wind when you're on the bike? It just hangs beside her. It looks so goofy.

Man there are so many of those little unpolished details in this game, it's crazy.

Last edited:

Valt7786

My enjoyment is kinda nosediving now that they've added heavies to every mob group. This shit is not really fun to fight.

Also I can't wrap my head around how bad the menus are. There's something extremely counterintuitive about the way they are structured and how you navigate them. It's a constant source of annoyance.

And why does Barbara's cape not get caught in the wind when you're on the bike? It just hangs beside her. It looks so goofy.

Man there are so many of those little unpolished details in this game, it's crazy.

Ive noticed the cape on the bike thing happens after playing for a while, resetting the game fixes it, the capes definitely do flap in the wind normally.

SJRB

Gold Member
Ive noticed the cape on the bike thing happens after playing for a while, resetting the game fixes it, the capes definitely do flap in the wind normally.

Thanks, restarting the game fixed it.

Still doesn't really move around in the wind when you're standing on rooftops, but at least it's better than nothing.

Hot5pur

Thanks for the OT. Playing with the wife and we're both enjoying it :)
Quite a decent game but perhaps they need to iron out the bugs/performance issues for people to warm up to it (especially on consoles, 60 fps mode would be a big step forward).

I think the menu itself is bugged, when you open it, everything looks highlighted, as if all tabs are open at the same time, it's only once you move between tabs restores what it should look like.

Beat the game last night (main case + all three sidevillains) after 31 hrs playtime. It's a solid 7 IMO, on par or just below Arkham Origins (which makes sense given its the same dev). I always thought Origins' strongest points were 1. the story + cutscenes and 2. the boss fights, which were among the best in the entire Arkham series. As much as I love Rocksteady's work, I was never particularly fond about their approach to boss fights (those Batmobile boss fights in Arkham Knight... woof).
Gotham Knight's strongest point is still its story and cutscenes, but unlike Origins, they completely failed in the boss fight department this time around, probably because this game is held back by its barebones fighting system. I know they didn't use Arkham's FreeFlow system to set this game apart from Arkhamverse, but that decision was a major mistake. Spider-Man, Mordor, etc. all aped off of the FreeFlow system for a reason: because it's 3D melee combat perfected.... and they went with this fairly basic combat system instead. Bizarre.

Edit: I meant to post this in the Review thread but whatever

Last edited:

shubik

Bought it yesterday for PS5 and after a few hours with it I have to say I’m shocked by the technical state of the game. This is straight up a last gen looking game. The character face models are really bad. And this running at below 30FPS is a joke. I can’t even imagine how this would have run on last gen.

Also the menu UI: who ever did this invested probably 30 minutes into it. You can’t even call that a layout. Extremely lazy stuff

I should have listened to the reviews…

Dibils2k

30fps isnt the problem, you dont need 60fps for a game like this (why i played Spiderman in Fidelity too) but the problem is that its not locked! indoors its fine but in the streets it can get rough

at worst this game is average, anyone saying its a bad game just want to meme it tbh. people compare the combat to Arkham games, and yes its less fluid but this game isnt trying to do that... this is more about using special abilities and gear levels, not combos and i would argue the combat is more varied than Arkham games (i am playing as Robin)

Strider311

I don't know about all this negativity... I'm having a hell of time with it. It's nearly everything I wanted from an Arkham Knight sequel (even if it technically isn't). I can't say that I am having performance issues, but I'm running on a 3080 at 3440x1440. Could the game be better? Sure! But I love what is here.

Top Bottom