• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights |OT| Batfamily

Who's your main?

• Batgirl

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • Robin

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Night Wing

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Red Hood

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters
Having a blast with this game, feel like it really opens up traversal and combat wise when you hit level 12+, enemies become more diverse and aggressive, you get multiple momentum bars, momentum builds quicker and applying an elemental effect feels great; I'm slowly starting to prefer this combat system over freeflow, especially with all the annoying shit arkham threw at you to drop you out of freeflow (electric batons were the worst), and when you did everything went to shit.
Here I feel much more 'in control' of everything that's happening in combat, the timed strikes and being able to combo into heavy attacks feel great and there's no shitty electric baton enemy off-screen to fuck up my combos.

Also coop is super fun.

Last edited:

Saucy Papi

Bought it yesterday for PS5 and after a few hours with it I have to say I’m shocked by the technical state of the game. This is straight up a last gen looking game. The character face models are really bad. And this running at below 30FPS is a joke. I can’t even imagine how this would have run on last gen.

Also the menu UI: who ever did this invested probably 30 minutes into it. You can’t even call that a layout. Extremely lazy stuff

I should have listened to the reviews…
Yes, the menu is another sore point of contention for this game. It looks like a mobile game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is Origins team correct?
Ironically that was my favourite one despite its problems.

SCB3

Yeah, i saw this a lot from bandwagon haters last gen. Games with great combat systems like Anthem, Mass Effect Andromeda, Metal Gear Survive, Days Gone and TLOU2 were trashed like they are the worst games ever. Hell, the critics tried to do that by lowballing the review scores of Destiny but Bungie had done 2 long betas of the game so everyone knew that the gameplay was excellent before launch. Otherwise, those games wouldve been DOA if we had listened to the VideoGameDunkeys and Angry Joe of the world.

I preordered the game after playing Arkham last week but ended up cancelling it after seeing PC GPU utilization around 70%, but now it turns out that only happens during bike riding so maybe I will go and buy it. I really liked Origins and I know even if the studio is bad at optimization, they are not bad at making video games.

Thanks for your impressions.
Its weird as none of those games were bad playing but rather had issues elsewhere (well aside from Anthem being a fucking mess, it was fun to fly around)

This game is lokoing to me like a bit like Outriders where it is a fun to play but gets old fast, I'm waiting on a sale or Game Pass tbh

SJRB

Gold Member
Man, Barbara's Titan outfit is tight. Love that outfit, definitely brings out her best features.

I like how every night the weather is different. They put more time and effort into that than it first appears. Rain or not, cloudy or clear skies, thunder, wind, dense fog. Pretty neat. I just wish the rain effects were more noticeable, like in Arkham Knight.

Another cool little detail is police arriving at crime scenes so you have to leave asap. The implementation is a little goofy [they literally spawn behind a door, de door opens and they walk on the street] but I like the idea.

This game is best played in shorts bursts, hour or two tops or else the repetition kicks in hard.

32 hours in and I don't think I'm even close to done, I've kinda ignored harley/freeze/clayface and just been stopping crimes and doing the main story.
I'll probably hit the level cap before I finish lol.

hollams

Gold Member
Just bought the game on PC and got past the first tutorial section and was riding the Batgirl Bike and trying to do a wheelie and then boom, crash to desktop.

GymWolf

32 hours in and I don't think I'm even close to done, I've kinda ignored harley/freeze/clayface and just been stopping crimes and doing the main story.
I'll probably hit the level cap before I finish lol.
You are doing it wrong.

Always check the advised level for the missions, if you ignore the other villains you are gonna be overpowered when you decide to do their missions and 2 things are gonna happen:

-smashing everyone without challenge
-getting 1xp for enemies 2 levels below you.

Yesterday i did the first court of owls mission and i was level 22 and the enemies level 13...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Nah I mostly ignored them because two confirmed progression blockers on pc with harley and freeze, and some AMD specific blockers; it apparently got fixed yesterday so I'll start doing them in order now.
What do you mean with progression blockers?

SJRB

Gold Member
Didn't someone said that it sold pretty good on steam?

There are currently little over 5000 people playing it on Steam. That's kinda wild for such a big title that came out less than a week ago.

For comparison, there are over 1000 people playing Arkham Knight right now.

I'm sure it sold somewhat reasonably well but I have no doubt it was a huge disappointment sales-wise.

GymWolf

I don`t get why some of you guys still frequent that mental asylum same goes for most of social media btw.
The topic here is dead and not everybody is fucking nuts over there, sometimes you read some interesting things.

Also, free comedy gold on a daily bases, they are so pissed off that they can't beat the police to a pulp:lollipop_squinting:

But at least i don't use any social media.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Dude what on earth is going on with that dog the lady in the wheelchair is carrying.

Did they like forget to animate it? Is it supposed to be a stuffed dog?

What the fuck was that, man?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Enjoying the game myself, even got it running ok on my laptop. Game needs tech help for sure can’t even max it out at a stable fps on a 4090 and 12900k. Still fun, feels like a cross between anthem and old Batman games.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yeaaaaaaaah... I dont think this game is for me

Is it just me or the coop feel tacked on at the last minute? Which feels weird considering the premise, but it just feels cheap as a game and chock full of padding from the get go. With half the time you can't even enter a cutscene with your partner but have to awkwardly stand by listening, or worse its not even triggered and your mate just has a loading circle above their head as you wait for it to finish.

Last edited:

Salz01

This patch on PC is pissing me off. It’s 40 gigs, and it crashed the first time now need to update again…. What is up with this….40 gig patch. Wtf.

So apparently in deploying the crack they killed denuvo on it for a few hours and the hounds are uploading it. What's going on at WB Montreal lol

GymWolf

Dude what on earth is going on with that dog the lady in the wheelchair is carrying.

Did they like forget to animate it? Is it supposed to be a stuffed dog?

What the fuck was that, man?
Creepy stuffed dog i suppose.

On the other hand stuff like this actually exist

IMG_7969-Version-2.jpg

Power Pro

Serious question, but even with all the technical problems this game has, I still really wanna play and try it for myself. I am just in the mood for this kind of game, but with the technical issues, I'm not sure what is the best way to go. Was hoping to just get an opinion or two.

DF videos are useful to know if a game has problems, but they like to just nitpick so much, that it's hard to get a solid "is it still fun to play" out of them. I know the PS5 version still has deeps in the low to mid 20fps range, but how is the game overall outside of those specific instances that they like to dwell?

I would just go to PC, because I got a pretty decent PC, with a newer i7 cpu, 32gb of ram, rtx 3070...but sounds like even with the best specs, the game is optimized poorly. Doesn't matter how good my PC is, cuz it sounds like it still runs like crap. That's why I'm still considering the PS5 version. So basically I was just hoping to get advice on which one some of you think is the better choice. I feel like it hurts more to see how badly the PC version runs, while it'd be more acceptable on a console.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This post I found about the game is probably more interesting than the game itself:
So I've seen people on the main thread say that the Gotham Knights Game is a game that is really white and lacking in terms of racial diversity and representation. And I say I have to agree.

Of all the playable characters it is only the white members of the Batfamily and no POC is playable. It's kind of jarring as there exist an Asian Batgirl (Cassandra Cain) and Middle Eastern Robin (Damian) and their white counterparts were picked over them. There is also the fact that other POC members of the Batffamily don't show up as well. No mention of Cassandra, Damian or Duke Thomas or even hints to the,, Luke Fox only gets mentioned, and Helena Bertillini the Huntress is portrayed as white despite being Afro-Italian since DC Rebirth.

The only major POC supporting characters is Renee Montoya who has a major role as a story ally at least and Lucius Fox is present but as someone to rescue and in a side mission for upgrades.

There is also the fact that while cops can be enemies in the game and the game does have the GCPD be corrupt and engage in police brutality this brought up as more of police corruption rather than the system itself being flawed (which is usually what happens when Batman deals with cops) and also stresses to have good cops be in the game and highlight them with Montoya. Cops are also the only enemies in the game that don't give XP and sometimes the game discourages you from fighting them. The game incorporates the Batfamily being supportive of progressive social movements but nothing really against standing up against cops with regards to how they disproportionally target POC for example especially in a game that has police corruption be a main theme

There is also the portayal of Talia once again which falls into the Morrison thing of portraying her as completely villainous without much nuance while also taking the chance to darken her skin and make her more visibily a WOC.

People have said these issues have prevented them from buying the game or making them hesitant and I definitely side with them here.

My only solace is that this person is probably deleting a twitter account this week, which is one less twitter account in the world.

EDMIX

Ah man that's so true. Those games were panned so hard, but they certainly aren't bad at all. To be fair I'm only around 6hrs so far so I'd say pretty early on but its been fun. Luckily I haven't encountered any bugs or such things. The bike does seem to be a frame dropper but nothing I couldn't handle thankfully.

Agreed with both you and SlimySnake SlimySnake . Those gamers were not that bad and gamres seem to exaggerate a whole lot of shit. I'm mad I even listened to any of that, I went back and played a lot of those about bought em used and realized they were no where near as bad as some tried to fucking make it sound like

Far Cry 5 is one of the best Far Cry titles, it wasn't no where near this nightmare that some tried to exaggerate, same with Mass Effect Andromeda, Destiny or Watchdogs or even AC Unity.

Meanwhile, these same reviewers ignored the issues in Witcher 3 and CP 2077, with a massive amount of crashes, removed content, the developer literally getting sued for lying, years later and still being patched etc. I think gamers simply love this shit of the perceived "good guy" saying nice PR shit, while trying their best to pretend issues don't exist, screwing consumers in the end as they read fake reviews ignoring all the issues and removed content.

In hindsight, our reaction to Watchdogs 1 isn't even near the level of CP2077 literally changing a genre, lawsuits, tons of removed features and years later waiting for AI to actually be patched in the game. Maybe that downgrade was not that bad considering at least Watchdogs fans got a functional game

So I don't think what people feel about Gotham reaches CP2077 levels of scams or something, if the game isn't for them, thats ok, but nothing I see here is them lying to people and saying it will be this or that or changing its genre or the game missing features shown or promised prior or something.

I wish folks would save that same energy for genre switching unplayable titles. I'm not buying Gotham, but I see nothing in the title that argues it even comes close to the issues we've seen in other more infamous titles with issues or deception or something.

GymWolf

Serious question, but even with all the technical problems this game has, I still really wanna play and try it for myself. I am just in the mood for this kind of game, but with the technical issues, I'm not sure what is the best way to go. Was hoping to just get an opinion or two.

DF videos are useful to know if a game has problems, but they like to just nitpick so much, that it's hard to get a solid "is it still fun to play" out of them. I know the PS5 version still has deeps in the low to mid 20fps range, but how is the game overall outside of those specific instances that they like to dwell?

I would just go to PC, because I got a pretty decent PC, with a newer i7 cpu, 32gb of ram, rtx 3070...but sounds like even with the best specs, the game is optimized poorly. Doesn't matter how good my PC is, cuz it sounds like it still runs like crap. That's why I'm still considering the PS5 version. So basically I was just hoping to get advice on which one some of you think is the better choice. I feel like it hurts more to see how badly the PC version runs, while it'd be more acceptable on a console.
The game is still relatively fun even with performance issues.

Pc is the way to go, it's basically 60 looked in indoors missions (the best missions) and only have problems during the open world.

If you absolutely hate frame dips, just put a 30 fps limiter in the open world part.

On console it slow down to 20 frames i think.

Also on pc is half the price.

EDMIX

Pc is the way to go, it's basically 60 looked in indoors missions (the best missions) and only have problems during the open world.

If you absolutely hate frame dips, just put a 30 fps limiter in the open world part.

I'll likely get it some time next year used or deep sale. I don't have the time as God Of War is coming soon and after that I'll be busy most of next year with Dead Space and RE4 remake and other titles.

Hopefully by then its framerate thing is corrected with some options or something. If its a locked 30, I don't think I'll care that much tbh.

semi OT. I'd love to see a Batman Beyond game one day in some open world format.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'll likely get it some time next year used or deep sale. I don't have the time as God Of War is coming soon and after that I'll be busy most of next year with Dead Space and RE4 remake and other titles.

Hopefully by then its framerate thing is corrected with some options or something. If its a locked 30, I don't think I'll care that much tbh.

semi OT. I'd love to see a Batman Beyond game one day in some open world format.
I literally bought the game to have something to play until ragnarock.

Buhaj

There are currently little over 5000 people playing it on Steam. That's kinda wild for such a big title that came out less than a week ago.

For comparison, there are over 1000 people playing Arkham Knight right now.

I'm sure it sold somewhat reasonably well but I have no doubt it was a huge disappointment sales-wise.
Does Steam show player count from the player's region or worldwide?

EDMIX

Wow this is so well thought out. Like they knew already and planned for this.

Well they also generally know how games roll out. So no game is releasing perfect, so I think it makes sense to have such options, all games should have that shit imho

Had a good 3 hour session yesterday, with freeze, harley, clayface and court of owl missions and no crashes:

Even some coop gameplay, though I did notice that coop fps is lower than solo, especially when fast traveling it seems like a lot of data is being synchronised, causing the fps to drop.

GymWolf

Had a good 3 hour session yesterday, with freeze, harley, clayface and court of owl missions and no crashes:

Even some coop gameplay, though I did notice that coop fps is lower than solo, especially when fast traveling it seems like a lot of data is being synchronised, causing the fps to drop.

Do you use only one character??

I switch all the time to keep things fresh.

GymWolf

This game might as well be Batgirl - the game for me :lollipop_yum:
I also made the mistake to use robin for a single night and then unlocked the demon suit blueprint for him, but not for batgirl...
Her voice is too grating for me, i usually use her during open world grind where i don't have to listen her speak.

My main for story missions is usually redhood because he is the most mean between the 4.

Zimmy68

I'm definity interested in this game but no way at full price.
Hoping for a Guardians of the Galaxy price dump and I think my wish will come true.
Just have to wait it out.

Power Pro

What do you mean half the price? Looks $60 to me on steam. At least that's a little cheaper than the $70 bull shit on console.

GymWolf

What do you mean half the price? Looks $60 to me on steam. At least that's a little cheaper than the $70 bull shit on console.
it's around 40 euros on keys sites, a good one is gamivo (right now it seems like it is sold out on cdkeys and instant gaming, what i usually use to buy keys)

On console the game is 80 euros, so yeah, half the price.

(at least in europe)

Last edited:
Top Bottom