• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life: Alyx will be coming to PlayStation VR2 - Shpeshal_Nick

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
100% this is happening, there is no way Sony wouldn’t back a truck of cash up to Valve to make it happen. Also, it would be pretty dumb of valve to turn down sales on such an amazing game.

people are genuinely going to lose their shit at how good this game is. Deffo going to double dip!

Rivet

Isn't most of the eye tracking going to be for optimising rendering so you can turn it off but have worst performance.

I think the Haptics will be like Dualsense aka optional and you will have the option to turn it off.

I doubt eye tracking will be optional. They will also use eye tracking for things like making characters react to you depending on where you look at. I don't know how to do that without eye tracking.

reksveks

I doubt eye tracking will be optional. They will also use eye tracking for things like making characters react to you depending on where you look at. I don't know how to do that without eye tracking.
I don't know if they will do that but let's see.

Holammer

While I doubt the source 100% (stinks of insider clout chaser). I still think it's happening, anyone can put 1+1 together and assume it's very likely to happen. As part of a give and take agreement between Sony and Valve. It makes so much sense.

The real surprise insider reveal would something straight outta left field like HL2: Remastered, CS:GO and DOTA2 releases on Playstation with Steam market support. We never get anything like that from the supposed insiders.

XXL

prayer GIF

HTK

Banned
I think it will, it's a no brainer. By this point the game has exhausted its sales probably on Steam/Other platforms. Why not introduce it to a whole new potential audience? Also, Sony and Valve have been nice to each other recently. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Romulus

Valve did say they would bring it to every platform that could run it. Something like that.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Well to be fair, I think that given the opportunity both would buy Square but yeah there is a lot of rumor that he has spread and most of them seems either wishfull thinking or total bullshit.I guess time will tell but so far has there been anything he has said that has come true ?I mean ouside of the obvious, if tomorrow I reveal that Rockstar is working on a GTA 6 I don't think I will really be an insider.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If it does, it will be what makes me buy the PSVR2. I'm not buying it for stuff I can already play on my Quest 2 (I don't have a gaming PC). Wires be damned...

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I sorta doubt it unless they outsource the port because Valve Time. But crazier things have happened.

Thaedolus

I sorta doubt it unless they outsource the port because Valve Time. But crazier things have happened.
It already supports a huge variety of headsets and the PS5 is basically a PC architecture…shouldn’t be too difficult to port tbh. Might actually convince me to get a PSVR despite owning an index

iceatcs

PS5 port to PC is mainly for preparement a big PS Now updates. Stream PS5 is possible without PS5 server hardware.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Half-Life: Alyx is probably the greatest gaming experiences I ever had. If true, PS5 players are in for a treat. Great game to show what VR can do. Played it on the Quest 2, I was so into the game, that I ignored the warning signes that I was passing my "play area" and bumped into my desk.

As an index owner I'm legit impressed by the specs of the PSVR2 and have to say I bet Alyx will look breathtaking on it. To any PlayStation 5 owner who is on the fence about VR, if this game does come to your system, I implore you to pick it up. It's a breathtaking experience.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If true then PSVR2 owners are in for a treat.

Zambatoh

While possible, it would be a downgraded experience. Alyx was designed with Valve's motion grip function in mind. So in other headsets, you'd only get a close approximation for how it's supposed to work.

reksveks

While possible, it would be a downgraded experience. Alyx was designed with Valve's motion grip function in mind. So in other headsets, you'd only get a close approximation for how it's supposed to work.
I was confused cause I did think there was something specific to the Valve controllers that the game had coded for.

kyussman

I watched a playthrough of the game on YouTube after it released because I thought there was no way I would ever get to play it.....now,that is the type of thing I want in VR,it really felt like a proper game and not just a tech demo....if PSVR2 games are going to be more like that in general then I'd be interested in picking it up even if it is pricey.

Kydd BlaZe

Really hope this is true. I didn’t want to upgrade my PC and buy a Valve Index JUST for Half-Life Alyx. Barrier for entry here was just too steep for one VR game. Always hoped these next gen consoles would implement VR and Alyx could be ported. I’ve been holding off upgrading my PC, waiting to see if this would happen. Hope this is true.

Romulus

Most people played it without an index and loved it. Technically a downgrade yes, but overhyped imo. I had a blast on my Rift S.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I honestly thought this was a given that Sony would go after a deal to bring Alyx to PSVR2, there's no sound business reason for it not too and is in the interests of both parties no doubt Sony's 1st party VR games will eventually find there way onto Steam

I played this last year via my Oculus Quest tethered to my gaming laptop and didn’t enjoy it as much as the majority. It absolutely is an experience not to miss but I think with some of the technical issues I had (hitching and resolution being low) it ruined my enjoyment of the game.

There are some badass sequences though where you really feel like you are in the game, very immersive!

If I get a PS5 and headset I’ll for sure consider trying it again where I won’t need to mess with my system to get it working the way I want it to.

Romulus

I played this last year via my Oculus Quest tethered to my gaming laptop and didn’t enjoy it as much as the majority. It absolutely is an experience not to miss but I think with some of the technical issues I had (hitching and resolution being low) it ruined my enjoyment of the game.

There are some badass sequences though where you really feel like you are in the game, very immersive!

If I get a PS5 and headset I’ll for sure consider trying it again where I won’t need to mess with my system to get it working the way I want it to.

What were your laptop specs?

HTK

Banned
Looks like Kuo Ming-Ji who typically leaks bunch of Apple/Samsung stuff who has a good track record thinks that PS VR2 will launch Q2 2022.

Guo Mingchi, an analyst at Tianfeng International:

• We reiterate our previous report’s prediction that Apple’s AR/MR headset will be postponed to the end of 2022. We believe that the more significant shipment volume must reach 1Q23.
  • Yang Mingguang obtained the NPI (new product introduction) of Apple AR/MR Pancake lens. Because the assembly schedule is delayed, providing Yujingguang with more time can improve the yield. According to the current Yujingguang's yield rate is quite close to that of Yangmingguang, we believe that the yield of the two should be similar before mass production. In a good situation, Yujingguang can obtain half of the order proportion.
  • Apple's AR/MR uses two 3P Pancake lenses, each priced at US$15-20.
  • We predict that Sony’s PS5 VR will be shipped from 2Q22. Yujingguang and Goertek will be high unit price Fresnel lens suppliers (both will each take half of the order weight). This order helps Yujingguang not to be weak in the off-season.

Lognor

Banned
Who is Nick?

This guy just posted some other rumor (can't recall what it was), but I've never heard of this guy. Is he trustworthy?

The more good quality games the better and it surely makes a lot of sense for both parties. It'll be a couple of years old soon and of course people are still buying it on PC but a second launch on PSVR2 will certainly bring in a bit of extra money for Valve.

Lognor

Banned
No he isn't and idk why people keep giving him attention. Most of the time he just copies what some other source said saying he heard the same thing. Last year he claimed Sekiro would come to PS+, Nintendo and Microsoft would have some kind of big announcement in the fall, and that Sly and Infamous were coming back. None of that happened.
Never mind. Question answered.

Yeah, this guy is a stooge. Please delete this thread.

Kilau

The PlayStation/Valve collaboration for Portal 2 was fantastic. Would love to see that come back to consoles.

Outlier

Wwuuhhh!

Day one! Assuming it's properly ported.

It'll be the first Half-Life I've played since the Orange Box, which was the only Half-Life I've played.

Top Bottom