• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life: Alyx will be coming to PlayStation VR2 - Shpeshal_Nick

PuffyCan

I wish it`s true for PSVR gamers, HL:A is such a great experience, really worth it. Just got a reverb G2 on PC and it's the first game I played, made me realize how amazing VR can be.

bender

What time is it?
No idea on the source but it would get me to buy a PSVR2. Sony's worked with Valve in the past with Portal 2 giving you access to the PC version if you bought the PS3 version.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lets Go Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Massive. I was day one for PSVR2 but now I am even more so. Really wanted to play HLA, almost ordered a PC headset but thankfully snapped out of it.
Still worth to get a quest 2 + link cable and play it tomorrow.

HL ALYX is worth it
Also quest 2 is basically the virtualboy2 with the emulator 😎

Last edited:
It really won't make much sense to console players who never got to play original games.
They could bring orange box to ps5 too.

Anyway - Alyx is incredible. I finished it two times and found it very NOT replayable. But it must've been the best gaming experience I've ever had. Like omg I've cried tears in my headset :p

Although it was a horrible port. The Orange Box did come to PS3, years ago and was even published by EA of all people too.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Who is Nick?

This guy just posted some other rumor (can't recall what it was), but I've never heard of this guy. Is he trustworthy?

No. He makes a bunch of plausible/likely to happen predictions and tells everyone it's from his "sources". When one hits, he goes "See? I told you I had inside sources..."

If Sony were smart, they would release this on PC as well. It makes zero sense tying it to the PS ecosystem.

It gives the ps5 another reason to own other than “narrative driven action games” .

If you want to play big AAA VR games you will need a ps5 or a PC that is far more expensive, that still wont have the playstation games on it

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
  • Half Life Alyx to PSVR2 for launch
  • PSVR2 becomes a SteamVR compliant device and PSVR(1&2) games eventually ported to PC

It just makes too much sense for all concerned for it not to happen.
this is white timeline shit, not the one we're in...

chixdiggit

It's the best VR game. I hope it sells a ton so we get more like it.
It would also be huge for VR if PSVR got Oculus ports like Lone Echo.

What were your laptop specs?
i7 9750, 16GB DDR4, 2070 (not the maxq version). I was always hitting 70fps but there was odd stuttering and hitching going on which I think was to do with the headset being connected to the laptop. It just wasn’t a good experience for me.

Sold my headset now anyway so can’t go back to it!

Edit: it was also installed on the SSD if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

Romulus

i7 9750, 16GB DDR4, 2070 (not the maxq version). I was always hitting 70fps but there was odd stuttering and hitching going on which I think was to do with the headset being connected to the laptop. It just wasn’t a good experience for me.

Yeah, that's definitely good enough for Alyx. I recently played it wirelessly with a 2070S and it was great.

• Half Life Alyx to PSVR2 for launch
  • PSVR2 becomes a SteamVR compliant device and PSVR(1&2) games eventually ported to PC

It just makes too much sense for all concerned for it not to happen.

Increasing the installed base for VR titles is definitely a good thing for devs.

That said, being able to specifically target a single platform spec together with headset specs like PSV2 with its unique foveated rendering feature, will have a big impact on the games that can afford to be exclusive to the platform.

Dream-Knife

Banned
While I doubt the source 100% (stinks of insider clout chaser). I still think it's happening, anyone can put 1+1 together and assume it's very likely to happen. As part of a give and take agreement between Sony and Valve. It makes so much sense.

The real surprise insider reveal would something straight outta left field like HL2: Remastered, CS:GO and DOTA2 releases on Playstation with Steam market support. We never get anything like that from the supposed insiders.
There is no give and take agreement with Steam. Sony's games come to EGS as well. Sony sells games on Steam because it is the main PC store.
Valve did say they would bring it to every platform that could run it. Something like that.
Source? I can't find anything like that.
Really hope this is true. I didn’t want to upgrade my PC and buy a Valve Index JUST for Half-Life Alyx. Barrier for entry here was just too steep for one VR game. Always hoped these next gen consoles would implement VR and Alyx could be ported. I’ve been holding off upgrading my PC, waiting to see if this would happen. Hope this is true.
By that logic, you'll be buying a $4-500 headset for your PS5 for just one game that will have less support.

Of course there are many more VR titles that are very worth it. Check out Boneworks and Project Wingman. The indie scene is really pushing VR ahead. I'm also excited to see what Nintendo does with it with it's next system.

Romulus

Source? I can't find anything like that.

Yeah me either. I don't remember the verbiage but they were adamant about putting it on every device that would run it, future and present. It was around the time they were talking about why they went to such great lengths to make sure Alyx ran well with different types of headsets it was mentioned.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yeah me either. I don't remember the verbiage but they were adamant about putting it on every device that would run it, future and present. It was around the time they were talking about why they went to such great lengths to make sure Alyx ran well with different types of headsets it was mentioned.
Yeah lmk if you find that. I vaguely remember something like that, but I thought he was referring to additional headsets.

yurinka

I think it's fake and I don't see why you guys keep making threads about the 'rumors' of this highly unreliable source that frequently posts 'rumors' that never get real, and the other ones that end being real are copied from somewhere else.

Valve earns a shit ton of money with Steam, they don't need extra revenue from ports to make some extra revenue. And even less from their top exclusive, the main reason someone would prefer to play on their VR headset instead of on the Sony one.

If real (which I bet it isn't), I assume it must have been an scenario of Sony telling them that if they wanted to see games like Uncharted 4, GoW or Horizon Steam they must release their Alyx and potentially other VR games on PSVR2.

Who is Shpeshal_Nick?
A random internet user with no insider info.

A trustworthy source?
No. He just made ups stuff and copies rumors or leaks that are found across internet from unreliable places like 4chan or random twitter users.

Last edited:
I'm 100% sure PSVR2 will work for PC, and not just PS5. It seems like common sense with PS5 titles coming to PC.

Also, this is the same fella who said Perfect Dark wouldn't be a AAA game, and would be episodic. He knows nothing. I think Half Life makes perfect sense for PSVR2, but he's literally guessing.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I think it's fake.

Valve earns a shit ton of money with Steam, they don't need extra revenue from ports to make some extra revenue. And even less from their top exclusive, the main reason someone would prefer to play on their VR headset instead of on the Sony one.
It's not exclusive to their VR headset though, that's not what they're about and not why they made Index, rather to promote all of VR. Hell, if by some miracle Sony does make PSVR2 PC compatible, it's most likely SteamVR/OpenXR and their games will be updated to support it with no hassle too.

I think it's fake too, but that's not objective reasoning. They could simply want more people to play it and thus port it on a whim if PSVR2/PS5 eventually seem to grow in numbers and if enough people jump on it internally from what we've heard of how shit gets decided. They do what they want.

Last edited:

yurinka

It's not exclusive to their VR headset though, that's not what they're about and not why they made Index, rather to promote all of VR. Hell, if by some miracle Sony does make PSVR2 PC compatible, it's most likely SteamVR/OpenXR and their games will be updated to support it with no hassle too.

I think it's fake too, but that's not objective reasoning. They could simply want more people to play it and thus port it on a whim if PSVR2/PS5 eventually seem to grow in numbers and if enough people jump on it internally from what we've heard of how shit gets decided. They do what they want.
With 'their headset' I meant PC VR (not available in PSVR), sorry.

I'd love to see PSVR2 headset PC compatible, but I think Sony made it because they want you to buy games in their store (to get the full revenue of their games and their 30% of the 3rd party ones), not in someone's else store.

For that same reason Valve supports all PC VR headsets: they want to have a potential userbase as big as possible, but they want you to buy the VR games on their store where they get 100% of the revenue of their own games plus the revenue share from the 3rd party ones.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

I'd love to see PSVR2 headset PC compatible, but I think Sony made it because they want you to buy games in their store (to get the full revenue of their games and their 30% of the 3rd party ones), not in someone's else store.

For that same reason Valve supports all PC VR headsets: they want to have a potential userbase as big as possible, but they want you to buy the VR games on their store where they get 100% of the revenue of their own games plus the revenue share from the 3rd party ones.
More success for PSVR2 is more success for VR, means more 3rd party big VR games that get ported to PC, where they most likely get bought on Steam. There's any number of ways to look at this. They have little reason to do anything but rest on their laurels enjoying Steam profits. But did/do.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned

Eh, then again Sony is porting games to PC to get more people to play them regardless of ecosystem. I can see Valve doing the same, but porting your game to a closed ecosystem doesn't really jive with what they're trying to do right now, particularly when it comes to gnu/linux.

yurinka

More success for PSVR2 is more success for VR, means more 3rd party big VR games that get ported to PC, where they most likely get bought on Steam. There's any number of ways to look at this. They have little reason to do anything but rest on their laurels enjoying Steam profits. But did/do.
Yes, I agree. Both are interested to see VR growing as a whole, and to release their game on other platforms would give them more revenue. I only expain why they keep stuff exclusive: because their main revenue are games being sold in their store.

Eh, then again Sony is porting games to PC to get more people to play them regardless of ecosystem. I can see Valve doing the same, but porting your game to a closed ecosystem doesn't really jive with what they're trying to do right now, particularly when it comes to gnu/linux.
Sony's idea with PC ports is to get extra revenue for old games and to reach PC players who may end buying a PS5, but specially those who are PC only players, specially in countries where for many reasons (taxes for foreign electronics, being too expensive, market too used to F2P, rampant piracy, tradition of playing on PC instead of in console, etc) consoles aren't so popular and instead PC is.

Specially Asian ones like China or Korea and a few South American ones. Asia is the biggest gaming market in the world and the one with biggest growth. Latin America is growing a lot too. For that same reason Sony is also exploring mobile (generates worldwide more revenue and has more players than PC and console combined, and again primarly in Asia) and GaaS/F2P (again, more revenue and players than non-GaaS/paid games and specially in Asia).

They don't care about closed or not ecosystems: they care if the market is big enough or not, and what revenue (both total revenue and percentage of revenue share) are they going to generate there. This is why they have their own closed platforms and if you want to publish games on their platform you have to pay them both to enter and both a revenue share of the games, and also why they publish their games on Windows on PC even if they prefer to use their own OS instead of Microsoft's one for their devices.

Last edited:

ZehDon

It's such an obvious and smart move I'd be surprised if Sony didn't do it. Open the chequebook, get it done. PSVR2 with HL:A in the first year would be a dream scenario for PlayStation fans. It's a mind blowing game.

1. The source is unreliable
but
2. It is certainly a good guess.

For those people too young to remember, Valve had no problem porting their games on Consoles. It's just that they haven't made many new game titles for a long time so there was nothing to port.

Further, Valve made it clear they want to encourage VR adoption. Releasing HL:Alyx was a big part of that. And porting HL:Alex to PSVR2 would most certainly aid in that mission. This isn't about money; Alyx wasn't made for profitability, Valve just wants VR to be a thing. And if they could release Orange Box for consoles, they could certainly release Alyx for PSVR2.

So the origin of this news probably can't be trusted, but the possibility that he was right by accident anyway is extremely high. Valve WANt VR of high quality to be standard. And PSVR2 looks to fit the bill.

1. The source is unreliable
but
2. It is certainly a good guess.

For those people too young to remember, Valve had no problem porting their games on Consoles. It's just that they haven't made many new game titles for a long time so there was nothing to port.

Further, Valve made it clear they want to encourage VR adoption. Releasing HL:Alyx was a big part of that. And porting HL:Alex to PSVR2 would most certainly aid in that mission. This isn't about money; Alyx wasn't made for profitability, Valve just wants VR to be a thing. And if they could release Orange Box for consoles, they could certainly release Alyx for PSVR2.

So the origin of this news probably can't be trusted, but the possibility that he was right by accident anyway is extremely high. Valve WANt VR of high quality to be standard. And PSVR2 looks to fit the bill.

100% true.

At the end of the day, More people playing VR games ultimately means more money for Valve. It also means more money for gaming in general, even microsoft stands to benefit through proxy of VR blowing up.

Just like the Quest becoming successful is good for Sony. More developers making VR games, improving upon the tech, more people adopting teh tech, more media outlets dedicated to it, etc.

A tech company never wants to exist in a bubble. Where the only people using it are through them alone. Look what happened to 3d, once a couple big players abandon it, it’s all but dead. You need every big gaming company to pitch in and make it work if its gonna move forward

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member

MonarchJT

Banned
You just need to admit that the headset isn't looking like a crappy budget VR one. It's ok PSVR2 can have nice specs and still function with a really good console. And there's nothing wrong with that.
absolutely psvr2 leaked specs seem very VERY good but I don't want this story to end like the one about the speed of SSDs compared to that of the PC world. We know that "premium" VR will be on PC and it's silly or deliberately biased to say otherwise.

absolutely psvr2 leaked specs seem very VERY good but I don't want this story to end like the one about the speed of SSDs compared to that of the PC world. We know that "premium" VR will be on PC and it's silly or deliberately biased to say otherwise.

You do know the specs have already been confirmed right?

As for Premium well the headset itself doesn't seem like anything cheap and you can definitely get really good experiences on the PS5. Pretty sure it's going to be excellent and saying otherwise is silly or biased.

Top Bottom