• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice gets Series S|X next gen update today

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ray tracing confirmed on S and X.

Schermafbeelding_2021-08-09_165942.png

Schermafbeelding_2021-08-09_165835.png

Last edited:

martino

Any info if the pc is getting any updates? Don't know if it had raytracing at all.

In my backlog and now got decent headphones so need to play it.
i have little hopes especially for my gog version :D
edit : i checked and they did gave us the VR version...so who knows.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Its hilarious that most people watching this on a small screen or phone won't even notice the transition from old to new resolution, they probably just think its a stylistic effect to have it be grainy then clear.

Definitely worth a replay of this soon, my flatmate has been spoiled by modern cinematic games like the RE remakes and Spiderman and I forgot about this one, I fucking love Zynbels voice, just amazing. In fact, I'm going to redownload it right now.

Kuranghi

I just looked up if this had Dolby Atmos on PC but found a thread where they talk about it not having proper 5.1, doese anyone have more information about that? I have a nice 5.1 setup but should I just play in Stereo for the best experience? I thought I remembered it having cool surround sound but maybe voices weren't intentionally in the rear channels.

Kuranghi

Is this still on gamepass? Super overrated game, awful combat system.

Yeah exactly, the number one advice to enjoy this game more I give is to set combat difficulty to easy.

I had fun in the final battle and one of the ending bosses but it was more because it was so epic and the final battle played out like you had a trainer activated giving you 10x speed lol so that bypassed the mechanical rote-ness of the combat.

I didn't play it for the combat though, I loved the performances, "story", visuals and sound. I think if you have shitty speakers/headphones and a small/poor display the game would be 10x less impressive. The puzzles were good-alright and were the main reason I was into it prior to playing, luckily the rest made up for them being disappointing.

So I would say its quite overrated as a game with puzzles and combat but underrated as a cinematic experience, christ that sounds gay :messenger_tears_of_joy: but then how else do you describe that sort of thing.

Kilau

Gold Member
Its hilarious that most people watching this on a small screen or phone won't even notice the transition from old to new resolution, they probably just think its a stylistic effect to have it be grainy then clear.

Definitely worth a replay of this soon, my flatmate has been spoiled by modern cinematic games like the RE remakes and Spiderman and I forgot about this one, I fucking love Zynbels voice, just amazing. In fact, I'm going to redownload it right now.
Looking forward to seeing what the upgrades workout to be. It already had a One X update but I'm hoping for a 4k 60 mode with the previous graphics updates. Don't really care if the RT is locked to 30.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
is HDR on consoles just as shitty as on PC?
There is just 1 HDR slider and it raises black and white point at the same time !!!!!!!!!!!! wtf

Thirty7ven

Banned
30 FPS is a let down considering the game isn’t exactly the most demanding.

Is this still on gamepass? Super overrated game, awful combat system.

It’s a walking simulator with bad puzzles and basic combat but I don’t think it’s overrated. A 81% on meta is adequate.

You have to play with headphones otherwise it doesn’t convey the experience nearly as well.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Don't expect perfect blacks in this game if you are on FALD LCD or especially OLED, it goes for a filmic style and has raised blacks, even moreso in HDR and because of this you get banding in the dark areas. So if your TV has a (good) decontouring/debanding feature then definitely set it to minimum at least, that will reduce the amount of dancing grey blobs in the darkness which is pretty offputting when she's speaking directly to the camera.

Where is the RT shown off in this trailer btw?

Vasto

Heads up that only Performance mode runs at 60fps. The Enriched Visuals mode is the one with Ray Tracing and it runs at 30fps. Resolution mode also runs at 30fps.

Is the Enhanced Mode live yet? I am sure the game will probaly need an update downloaded.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Nice! Will wait til it’s on GamePass tho! Don’t want to waste mommy’s shekels on games! Power to the players!

Kuranghi

Looking forward to seeing what the upgrades workout to be. It already had a One X update but I'm hoping for a 4k 60 mode with the previous graphics updates. Don't really care if the RT is locked to 30.

I don't know if native 4K60 will be possible even without RT, unless its a lot lower settings than PC max even with the previously enhanced visuals unless they did a lot of work to it, the game can't run anywhere near native 4K60 on a GTX 1080, most areas are fine but then certain cinematics or big moments literally double GPU usage and hit the refresh rate limit and cause stuttering.

I think this is one of a few example of a game where (outside of the combat) it looks better in 30fps anyway due to it trying to be this cinematic experience, the facial animations/expressions are immensely detailed and smooth and well worth seeing above 30fps but it also gives it a soap opera effect which I think ruins the feeling a bit. Since the camera is often static/very slow moving during the cutscenes the 30fps stutter isn't really an issue imo.

I just gave up on 60fps when I played it on a 970 intially because I'd have to run it at like medium-high settings at 1080p to lock 60fps and even that wasn't really locked in every moment, including some important ones so I dropped to 30fps and maxed everything out instead.

Can you turn off the CA on console?

Its an abomination in this game that really ruins the visuals, if it was occasional I wouldn't mind but its on at all times like she's taking a frying pan to head every 10 seconds/constantly pished. I can see how they thought it would be part of the feeling of her being mental or whatever but its too much and when combined with the TAA + lower resolutions it looks like cock.

omegasc

is HDR on consoles just as shitty as on PC?
There is just 1 HDR slider and it raises black and white point at the same time !!!!!!!!!!!! wtf
HDR on PC is a mess most of the time. Consoles are fine when setup correctly. Use Vincent Teoh's videos on YT to learn how to properly set it up!

The game was too sluggish for me at 30fps, but I enjoyed it at 60.
120fps should be great, but too bad there isn't a 120hz 1080p mode with raytracing.

Kilau

Gold Member
I don't know if native 4K60 will be possible even without RT, unless its a lot lower settings than PC max even with the previously enhanced visuals unless they did a lot of work to it, the game can't run anywhere near native 4K60 on a GTX 1080, most areas are fine but then certain cinematics or big moments literally double GPU usage and hit the refresh rate limit and cause stuttering.

I think this is one of a few example of a game where (outside of the combat) it looks better in 30fps anyway due to it trying to be this cinematic experience, the facial animations/expressions are immensely detailed and smooth and well worth seeing above 30fps but it also gives it a soap opera effect which I think ruins the feeling a bit. Since the camera is often static/very slow moving during the cutscenes the 30fps stutter isn't really an issue imo.

I just gave up on 60fps when I played it on a 970 intially because I'd have to run it at like medium-high settings at 1080p to lock 60fps and even that wasn't really locked in every moment, including some important ones so I dropped to 30fps and maxed everything out instead.

Can you turn off the CA on console?

Its an abomination in this game that really ruins the visuals, if it was occasional I wouldn't mind but its on at all times like she's taking a frying pan to head every 10 seconds/constantly pished. I can see how they thought it would be part of the feeling of her being mental or whatever but its too much and when combined with the TAA + lower resolutions it looks like cock.
4k dynamic 60 is fine, no option to turn off CA that I see.

Cant change the graphic mode on the fly anymore either.

Banjo64

cumsessed
QLOC worked on the upgrade, so the team could continue working on Hellblade 2. QLOC did the Switch port. Upgrades are coming to the PC in the future, but not PS or Nintendo platforms.

elliot5

QLOC worked on the upgrade, so the team could continue working on Hellblade 2. QLOC did the Switch port. Upgrades are coming to the PC in the future, but not PS or Nintendo platforms.
Damn no raytracing on switch?!? Wtf /s

I still haven't gotten around to this since getting my XSX so this works for me. I'll prob go raytracing mode for a bit and switch to resolution.

Top Bottom