• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice gets Series S|X next gen update today

yamaci17

i'd replay if rt is going to be decent addition like it was in metro exodus ee

if its going to end up like doom eternal, pass!

Loved the game, but although it is not as much story driven as Sony games, i still don't see enough replay value to play it again.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Why do you phrase it in a way as if Hellblade is being completely given away for free? If you don't own Hellblade and want to, you're still paying for the game. On top of that it's much smaller in scope and also a lot older. Also no 60fps RT mode and no native 4K mode is kind of underwhelming for a game like this if you ask me.

Cost of this if you own Hellblade.

0$
That’s not true for the directors cuts

Rikkori

It's great to see them doing updates like this, but too bad it's for painfully dull games like this one.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Why not 1080p 60Hz RT? pass

I really disliked the game, terrible controls and combat

It would be cool to get an update for PS5 so I could replay it get the one missing trophy for platinum.
Doubt that'll happen.

And I mean the update.

Roberts

Just tried out all three graphics modes. Definitely looks better than how I remembered it (played it on One X a few years back).

JackMcGunns

Looks nice, just checked the reviews and 88% on Metacritic, downloading now.

88 Meta? damn, with all the complaints, its time to look at post history lol.

When is the update going live? I don't see the XS branding yet :pie_thinking:

Last edited:
Just tried out all three graphics modes. Definitely looks better than how I remembered it (played it on One X a few years back).

This is great to hear because I played it on my One X just a few months before I upgraded to XSX. And I thought the visuals were top tier stuff.

Excited to have a look and perhaps another play thru.

Roberts

This is great to hear because I played it on my One X just a few months before I upgraded to XSX. And I thought the visuals were top tier stuff.

Excited to have a look and perhaps another play thru.
It could be that my HDR settings are better calibrated now, because I remember the game having overblown highlights and that is not a problem anymore. Enriched graphics mode that has ray tracing is only 30fps, but it is tolerable because of motion blur. Still, I think I will replay a few chapters in that mode, then switch to res mode which looks really good as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrFunSocks

Banned
if its going to end up like doom eternal, pass!
What do you mean? RT in Doom Eternal is amazing and actually adds to the gameplay. I spotted a fair few secrets via reflections and RT lighting, as well as being able to see enemies etc around corners and off screen via reflections. It's one of the best RT implementations yet IMO because it just makes everything look how it should. You can see reflections where you should, and they look how they should based on the materials that they are.

Looks nice, just checked the reviews and 88% on Metacritic, downloading now.
If you like actually playing your games then you're probably not going to enjoy it. Like with most other linear cinematic story driven games, the actual gameplay is underwhelming and it's all just about the "experience". Very repetitive puzzles, poor combat, extremely linear with no room for deviation from the script.

Last edited:

yamaci17

What do you mean? RT in Doom Eternal is amazing and actually adds to the gameplay. I spotted a fair few secrets via reflections and RT lighting, as well as being able to see enemies etc around corners and off screen via reflections. It's one of the best RT implementations yet IMO because it just makes everything look how it should. You can see reflections where you should, and they look how they should based on the materials that they are.

If you like actually playing your games then you're probably not going to enjoy it. Like with most other linear cinematic story driven games, the actual gameplay is underwhelming and it's all just about the "experience". Very repetitive puzzles, poor combat, extremely linear with no room for deviation from the script.
there's no rt lighting in doom eternal's rt implementation though

and most of the reflections are still SSR. shut it off and u will see...

as i said, i tried playing it 3 hours, turned on and off in a lot of places, it felt underwhelming, maybe i wasn't looking at right places, who knows!

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
there's no rt lighting in doom eternal's rt implementation though

and most of the reflections are still SSR. shut it off and u will see...

as i said, i tried playing it 3 hours, turned on and off in a lot of places, it felt underwhelming, maybe i wasn't looking at right places, who knows!
Maybe it's different on PC then as I haven't played it on Xbox since the RT update. On PC everything is RT. SSR doesn't reflect anything that's off screen, such as your character model, enemies, objects, etc.

Last edited:

TheShocker

Just beat this last month and loved every second of it. Will give it another go to check out the new enhancements, but probably won’t do a full play through until I clear out more of my backlog.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out 13 minutes of gameplay of the Enhanced Visuals Mode of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice on Xbox Series X. Enhanced Visuals Mode features Ray Tracing, a first for the game.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice was already a visual stunner when it released in 2017. Since then, Ninja Theory, the game's development studio, was acquired by Microsoft, Hellblade has been added to Game Pass, and a brand new sequel is in development. To add to all this news, a new update just dropped featuring new graphics modes, including one called Enriched Visuals, which includes Ray Tracing. Hellblade features a woman named Senua who suffers from psychosis after crippling trauma in her past. You must fight enemies, solve puzzles, and avoid succumbing to the rot trying to take over your body in this story-based action adventure.

WitchHunter

Banned
Ray tracing confirmed on S and X.

Schermafbeelding_2021-08-09_165942.png

Schermafbeelding_2021-08-09_165835.png

- Did you flip the ray trace switch?
- Yes, on yesterday.
- Then release the patch as a 55 GB update.
- OK.

Brilliant upgrades all around. Will check out the 1080p 60fps mode on Series S and the 30fps ray tracing mode too. Couldn’t connect with this game in the past but the crap resolution definitely contributed to that.

Adding to OP if you don’t mind.
You got a Series S?

You fucking Heretic 😂

I hope you get burned at the stake

I would re-install to check it out, but I've beaten this game like 4 times. Don't want to touch it anymore.
How hard did you beat it? C'mon tell me.

On Topic: Will wait for PC version and give this game another go.

Last edited:

Md Ray

What does Hellblade have to do with Flight Simulator? You guys bounce between an XSS game having 120fps you complain about the resolution. The game has raytracing you complain it doesn't have 120fps. What part of core experience do you not understand? What part of budget device isn't clear? Developers will choose what graphic options a game will have and the GRAPHICS are the one thing the XSS compromises on. Jason Ronald NEVER said all XSS games would have raytracing did he? Did he say all XSS games would have 120fps modes? You guys keep making up crap.

Yup Flight Simulator is the same game on both the XSS and XSX. The XSS has reduced resolution but I think we can finally agree that it is missing no core gameplay features the XSX has as you inferred. If you were sincere you would be equally as outraged when more expensive consoles fail to hit 4K but you claim sincerity as you invent standards for the least expensive console? You are a comedian.

I have to prove nothing. I am not claiming the XSS is missing core experience features the XSX has. I never invented words from Jason Ronald and I never claimed MS is misleading their customers. You make the accusations you provide the proof.

Sorry man liars just fire me up. Flight Simulator is a fantastic game!
He literally claims "S is designed to deliver the same next-gen experience as Series X just at a reduced resolution". That means the S should retain every mode (including 120fps mode) that Series X gets and should just render them at a reduced resolution, as per his claims. Nothing more, nothing less. But we're seeing more than just resolution cut-backs (in cross-gen games, no less) including the omission of 120fps now... And you told me 120fps specifically was a part of that "next-gen experience". What happened now? If the S was incapable of delivering "the same next-gen experience as Series X" then why advertise it as such in the first place?

Last edited:
He literally claims "S is designed to deliver the same next-gen experience as Series X just at a reduced resolution". That means the S should retain every mode (including 120fps mode) that Series X gets and should just render them at a reduced resolution, as per his claims. Nothing more, nothing less. But we're seeing more than just resolution cut-backs (in cross-gen games, no less) including the omission of 120fps now... And you told me 120fps specifically was a part of that "next-gen experience". What happened now? If the S was incapable of delivering "the same next-gen experience as Series X" then why advertise it as such in the first place?
Well there's your problem. Jason Ronald NEVER said that the XSS would have every mode that the XSX has. That is something YOU made up. He said games on the XSS have the same core experience and this particular game has both raytracing and a higher framerate mode. Those things were missing last gen. It's like the XSS is a current gen console or something. If you want to be outraged why not be upset that the XSS you constantly attack has more 120fps games than a console that costs more. Now that is something Jason should bring up. 😉

Riky

$MSFT

Stop polluting every single Xbox thread with this trolling, it's time the mods did something about it.
Make a thread about it if you care so much.

Last edited:
Do we really need to have an XSS derail in every thread:
- Halo infinite thread
- MS flight sim thread
- hellblade thread
- doom eternal thread

This will never stop so just put the clowns on ignore ffs.
Yep. When the XSS offers 120 hz, they are super concerned about the low resolution. When it doesn't offer 120 hz because the devs want a native 1080p at the minimum, they are super concerned about it not having a 120 hz mode. This all while being on Team Sony and having zero interest in purchasing an XSS :messenger_beaming: It's textbook concern trolling.

Give it a rest.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Yep. When the XSS offers 120 hz, they are super concerned about the low resolution. When it doesn't offer 120 hz because the devs want a native 1080p at the minimum, they are super concerned about it not having a 120 hz mode. This all while being on Team Sony and having zero interest in purchasing an XSS :messenger_beaming: It's textbook concern trolling.
We’re all a little bit concerned deep down inside

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I do think it’s getting to the point that the same xss derails in every single Xbox thread needs some form of action from the mods. Just have a blanket statement or something on every Xbox thread. Yes we know what beard man said, it doesn’t need to be brought up in every thread.

can people get over shit or are we supposed to bring up every statement that was said for ever? That’s pathetic yo. Move the fuck on and play some games.

shout out to the little box that could!

Honestly, Series S is overdelivering from what I expected.

I was concerned it "only" had 4 tf but it turns out, it hasn't let me down even once. Rock solid frame rate and image quality.

Trolls want it to outperform series x or something.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I've been in the arguement repeatedly on here, along with others, it is getting a bit old. But you can really blame those who run in to every single thread saying xss is underperforming against some sort of imaginary standard that doesn't exist for every other console. It's OK to say the xss isn't full 1080p sometimes, or doesn't have rt sometimes, or doesn't have 120hz in every mode, just like it's OK for ps5 and xsx not to hit 4k on every game, or have rt in every game, or have 120hz in every game.

Honestly I feel like 75% of the posts against xss are either hardcore xbox haters just looking to say something bad or xsx owners looking for a reason to justify why they spent the extra cash. It's OK guys your self esteem shouldn't be linked to the console you own......
Xss can still be good and your purchase can still be good.......

Another 20% just doesn't even understand the hardware in the box........

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I wonder if anyone dissing the series s has actually held one or seen it in person, the thing is fucking tiny and delivers these next Gen experiences.
it’s a right little power house. You could throw it in a backpack and take it anywhere.

anyway back on topic. I’ll fire this up to check it out. Looks great, already completed it and loved it but these updates will make me revisit.

Riky

$MSFT
I hadn't played it before so I tried the Enriched and Performance modes last night. It seems pretty slow paced and there was a big difference graphically in the performance mode so I think I'll stick with Enriched mode which looked really good.
I couldn't see that 120fps added much to the experience for this type of game, sort of the opposite to Doom Eternal.

Top Bottom