• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

Look forward to trying this stuff out when I get back on. The XXL Weapons Bay, Eagle totally didn't need that upgrade lol. Then you have Enhanced Combustion on top of the fire buff. Unless they're taking some of this into account, that's crazy! At least in term of the bugs, they're definitely not going to like this.
hd2.png
I see my cropped image has found use of others than me. Good, good!

Anyone want to help me decide which warbond to get? Steeled Veterans? Seems to have a lot of good guns in it.
Since the explosive is underwhelming..

Last edited:
Has there ever been a gaas game with a better post-launch content? I give Sony and Arrowhead a crazy amount of credit for sitting on all this content. They didn't put any kind of road map upon release. So much better to get the information organically on a week to week basis

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Has there ever been a gaas game with a better post-launch content? I give Sony and Arrowhead a crazy amount of credit for sitting on all this content. They didn't put any kind of road map upon release. So much better to get the information organically on a week to week basis
I don't think so. I can't remember any other game that puts out so much content so quickly. But they still have a lot of work to do on the stability of the game.

GymWolf

Honestly, get out of here with this take. Sony literally funded the 50-100 million dollar game from a AA studio that only previously made top down low budget games. They literally published the game. No way Arrowhead releases HD2 in this state without Sony's immense help
No need to get mad, i didn't thought sony completely payed for the game, i thought it was just a collaboration.

Do we even know how much money did sony put on the project ot it's just speculation because they are publishing the game?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Ha, i aint angry, it is only video games. Just a weird take by you
It's not a weird take if i don't know how much sony contributed to the game, also mine was a question, i was not stating a fact.

I will still give arrowhead the majority of the credit, exactly like i do with stellar blade devs, these games are not made by sony teams, and in the case of hd2 i'm sure that nobody at sony helped with the actual game because they use an ancient engine that only arrowhead know how to work with, and that's why they still have problems, because it's hard to find external devs to work on the game, they have to do most everything by themselves.

Last edited:

yurinka

What merits does sony have? Did they already bought arrowhead?
Arrowhead only represents around 10% of the people who worked in the game (as usual in AAA games), funded and published by Sony. The rest of the people are Sony people from internal support teams, external support teams paid by Sony, or the typical Sony stuff from localization, PR, IT, marketing, QA, finances etc. This can double checked in the game credits.

In addition to this, all the GaaS specific stuff of all Sony GaaS (like this one) get mentored, overviewed, supported and reviewed by the Sony Live Service Center of Excellence, which has the related experts in SIE publishing, PS Studios and Bungie. This can be double checked where Sony explained Bungie's integration in SIE and how they were going to help PS Studios GaaS titles.

Sony literally funded the 50-100 million dollar game from a AA studio that only previously made top down low budget games. They literally published the game. No way Arrowhead releases HD2 in this state without Sony's immense help
The game has over 1200 people listed in its game credits, and they took 8 years to make it. I'd bet the total budget has been of over $100M, not counting post launch development and servers costs.

Last edited:

yurinka

Anyone want to help me decide which warbond to get? Steeled Veterans? Seems to have a lot of good guns in it.
In my opinion Steeled Veterans. I think Breaker Incendiary is maybe the best primary weapon against bugs, probably better than the normal Breaker for that case even if many disagree (for bots I think it's better than the incendiary). It also has a Booster to reduce respawn times once depleted, which is useful in high difficulty scenarios.

Cutting Edge has one of my favorite Boosters for top level difficulties: Localization Confusion, which increases the time between enemy encounters and Sickle, a weapon many people loves but not my thing.

But the free Warbond has the best stuff, like the normal Breaker(best primary), Redeemer (best secondary), my favorite grenade (Impact, explodes just when it hits something), the basic boosters and my favorite emotes: hug and rock paper scissors. It also has a weapon in the last page that is the favorite one for some people (I still havent unlocked it), Scorcher.

I think the other primary, secondary and grenades in the game are pretty worse in terms of stats/usage, but at least the bad ones in Steeled Veterans have a cool look.

Last edited:
In my opinion Steeled Veterans. I think Breaker Incendiary is maybe the best primary weapon against bugs, probably better than the normal Breaker for that case even if many disagree (for bots I think it's better than the incendiary). It also has a Booster to reduce respawn times once depleted, which is useful in high difficulty scenarios.

Cutting Edge has one of my favorite Boosters for top level difficulties: Localization Confusion, which increases the time between enemy encounters and Sickle, a weapon many people loves but not my thing.

But the free Warbond has the best stuff, like the normal Breaker(best primary), Redeemer (best secondary), my favorite grenade (Impact, explodes just when it hits something), the basic boosters and my favorite emotes: hug and rock paper scissors. It also has a weapon in the last page that is the favorite one for some people (I still havent unlocked it), Scorcher.
Note, that there's currently a bug where DoT effects only work for the network host (this is different than the host the game displays), so the Incendiary Breaker only shows it's true potential 1/4 of the time.

MikeM

Arrowhead only represents around 10% of the people who worked in the game (as usual in AAA games), funded and published by Sony. The rest of the people are Sony people from internal support teams, external support teams paid by Sony, or the typical Sony stuff from localization, PR, IT, marketing, QA, finances etc. This can double checked in the game credits.

In addition to this, all the GaaS specific stuff of all Sony GaaS (like this one) get mentored, overviewed, supported and reviewed by the Sony Live Service Center of Excellence, which has the related experts in SIE publishing, PS Studios and Bungie. This can be double checked where Sony explained Bungie's integration in SIE and how they were going to help PS Studios GaaS titles.

The game has over 1200 people listed in its game credits, and they took 8 years to make it. I'd bet the total budget has been of over $100M, not counting post launch development and servers costs.
Whats wild is I wonder what the projected ROI was. They seemed blindsided by the initial success of the game.

bitbydeath

I will still give arrowhead the majority of the credit, exactly like i do with stellar blade devs, these games are not made by sony teams
When Sony gets involved on the publishing side they also get involved with development, this is why games like Until Dawn shined above all other efforts from Supermassive Games.

Stellar Blade, Helldivers 2, Rise of Ronan, anything they publish goes through XDev primarily, and often their other support teams around the world such as PlayStation Malaysia get involved too.

bitbydeath

I haven’t gotten any yet but will be going with the last one. Why?

The last one has a booster called “Expert Extraction Pilot” which reduces the time for the extraction ship to turn up.

This will be useful if I want to do some farming.

[Sigma]

Messed around with some of the Democratic Detonation.

BR-14 Adjudicator Rifle - Not a fan, not seeing the role it would play for me.

R-36 Eruptor Rifle - Beast. Capable of taking out or damaging multiple targets at the same time. Can take out Fabricators, illegal broadcast, plug bug holes, destroy eggs(many at one time). Of course you will have to make some adjustments because it is a primary.

G-123 Thermite Grenade - It's ok. Feel like it should do more tho in terms of damage.

GP-31 Grenade Pistol - Good. Take along with the other grenades. You know what you're suppose to be doing with those.

Expert Extraction Pilot can come in handy but I haven't used it yet.

Haven't tried the crossbow also.

The armors look cool visually but don't do anything special that others don't. But they look the cooler imo in comparison to the last two warbonds.

Even without testing the crossbow yet, I think the Warbond is more in line if not better than the other warbonds when they launch(Talking about Steeled veterans and Cutting Edge) although id rank Steeled Veterans the worst at launch. So for me, this warbond doesn't do anything overpowering off the bat with a bunch of stuff than need other stuff to compliment it. Eruptor stands out for me right now.

Last edited:

yurinka

Whats wild is I wonder what the projected ROI was. They seemed blindsided by the initial success of the game.
I assume they expected 4 or 5 times the revenue made in Helldivers 1 due to moving from AA top down camera to AAA MGS/Gears like camera.

Obviously nobody wasn't expecting to sell like 40/50 times more (+ money made via addons). Pretty likely it became profitable in a week or two.

Last edited:
It's not a weird take if i don't know how much sony contributed to the game, also mine was a question, i was not stating a fact.

I will still give arrowhead the majority of the credit, exactly like i do with stellar blade devs, these games are not made by sony teams, and in the case of hd2 i'm sure that nobody at sony helped with the actual game because they use an ancient engine that only arrowhead know how to work with, and that's why they still have problems, because it's hard to find external devs to work on the game, they have to do most everything by themselves.
In these cases you have to give credit to Sony for fully supporting the projects and not doing anything to ruin them. other publishers would demand making changes to follow trends, more aggressive monetization, they would eliminate mechanics and promote others, they would not respect the vision of the developers and other things

I don't think you understand the level of involvement Sony gives many of their 2nd party titles. It is not a hands off affair. They are very much involved in the curation of the project, giving it all the external resources it needs (which are huge these days, btw, just look at the credits in most games) and also make decisions when it comes to whether game is ready to release and up to their quality standard.

This is a crucial part of Sony's success with exclusive games and they really do elevate what teams can do. The opposite has been a problem with Microsoft - too hands off and not willing to make the hard choices on certain games, which leads to stuff like Redfall, etc. It is very rare for Sony to have a big miss on quality like that.

Yes - Arrowhead deserves a lot of credit - but equally does Sony, who was willing to work with them for like 8 years on the project to get it right. Most other publishers would have called it quits, rushed it out, or not given them the necessary support.

I think the other primary, secondary and grenades in the game are pretty worse in terms of stats/usage, but at least the bad ones in Steeled Veterans have a cool look.
P-p-power post thanks!!

I went with the steeled veterans and the incendiary breaker and the p-4 revolver. The p-4 one shots berserkers if aimed right and the breaker shreds through crowds of bugs like a damn knife!!

yurinka

P-p-power post thanks!!

I went with the steeled veterans and the incendiary breaker and the p-4 revolver. The p-4 one shots berserkers if aimed right and the breaker shreds through crowds of bugs like a damn knife!!
Be careful with the revolver: it's cool because it's powerful, but I think it doesn't compensate its too limited amount of ammo and too frequent + too long reloading times.

Luipadre

After 2 months im still thinking about this game when im not playing it. Dont remember the last time this happened. This game also halts my ff7 playthrough. I have 2 chapters left and stellar blade is almost here. Too many good games man

Last edited:
Be careful with the revolver: it's cool because it's powerful, but I think it doesn't compensate its too limited amount of ammo and too frequent + too long reloading times.
I use it to soften up enemies at midrange. 1 shot is enough to seriously weaken medium opponents lik brood commanders and berserkers.

Combined with the breaker its a lethal mix. 😁

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Do we even know how much money did sony put on the project ot it's just speculation because they are publishing the game?
Sony would have paid 100% for the game. And 100% of the current post-launch content and technical support fees. That's how it goes. That's the norm.

I think i'm gonna avoid this warbound and save credits for the next one.
The bolt/sniper rifle is 🔥

Pair that with a Stalwart and use the rifle as the support weapon (to close bug holes, crowd control, and mid-sized enemies), and you have a freakin' awesome Stalwart LMG as your freakin' main weapon!!

Last edited:

The Stig

So has anyone yelled "LEEROY JENKIIIIINS!" while playing this game?

Ive played a billion hours in this game and am yet to do it.

I'm going to finish my lunch and join a game and say it like every 30 seconds or so

Varteras

Gold Member
So has anyone yelled "LEEROY JENKIIIIINS!" while playing this game?

Ive played a billion hours in this game and am yet to do it.

I'm going to finish my lunch and join a game and say it like every 30 seconds or so

No, but I have landed on top of my friends, only to yell for them. Asking them where they're at and letting them know that I brought them a mimosa.

bitbydeath

Mobilemofo

Devs have been toying with the idea of underground missions, but handling friendly fire in small spaces would be difficult, stratagems that rain down from the sky wouldn’t work, and i’m not sure how Helldivers would be recalled either in that environment.

Let the transport rockets come thru to only one area of the cave/underground section. At the start. Strategems can only be gotten from that point so tool up before. No air strikes etc. Respawn point is also at the entrance. Makes the challenge much more serious and potentially strategic.

Last edited:

The Stig

derpmocracy.jpg
so can anyone explain this?

top-right corner. i joined a player and this fraps-like counter appears in the top right of my screen. continued for the rest of my play time.

it was weird. i joined 1 player. they were on helldive difficulty and the map was weirdly empty (of patrols etc).

anyway the player left just before i took this screenshot. I finished the mission. I took ALL the samples home to superearth.

What is this performance counter and who was that player?

Only Super Earth knows.

derpmocracy.jpg
so can anyone explain this?

top-right corner. i joined a player and this fraps-like counter appears in the top right of my screen. continued for the rest of my play time.

it was weird. i joined 1 player. they were on helldive difficulty and the map was weirdly empty (of patrols etc).

anyway the player left just before i took this screenshot. I finished the mission. I took ALL the samples home to superearth.

What is this performance counter and who was that player?

Only Super Earth knows.
Press F2. There's also another one with F5.

Jinzo Prime

This is a very strange question but, has anyone tried playing the game in a VM? I'm kinda concerned about the ring 0 anti-cheat. Only reason I haven't bought it yet.

Top Bottom