• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

paulyboy81

Neo Member
Because it IS far less than 1800p. It's reconstructed UP TO 1800p which means it's closer to what we typically think of as 1440p, but has the added negative of artifacts as well as DRS kicking in at times to lower the res even more

Think it's even less that to be honest, checkerboarding usually works from half horizontal resolution, which pegs this in the 1600 x 1800 arena, which is similar in pixel density to something in the 1260p'ish region.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Correcting what? You're comparing apples to oranges here

lil-dicky-pillow-talking-video.jpg

kingfey

Banned
If you weren't willing to argue then you shouldn't have even bothered. Interactive open-world games are fundamentally more demanding than static corridor shooters. You're not going to find many if any on here who are going to side with you on this
That is why a corridor like returnal is on ps5, while interactive open world like hfw is on ps4.

This is why I didnt want to argue. We will bring other topics, that is not part of this topic. i dont want to derail from this topic, any further.

Lets end it here.

Jayjayhd34

Ive been playing pretty much none stop since it came out currently level 15. The side quest are brilliant the graphics are insane so yeah having blast with this. Can't imagine what the next one will look like exclusive to ps5.

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

You know you’re in for a ride when the opening credits take ages to appear. And what an opening credits it is. That’s as far as I’ve got tonight, looking forward to starting the adventure proper tomorrow.

And the visuals, my god.

That is why a corridor like returnal is on ps5, while interactive open world like hfw is on ps4.

This is why I didnt want to argue. We will bring other topics, that is not part of this topic. i dont want to derail from this topic, any further.

Lets end it here.

It's the OT for the game. You're not derailing anything. You're just making some really dumb asserations

Haggard

Banned
6 hours in, fighting is just as good as I remembered it, side quests seem improved, the visuals are top notch.

My only complaints are of technical nature and kinda vain considering the hardware this is running on.
Maybe the PC version will get the upgrades this game deserves.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
We started to see that late last year with games like Guardians able to do 30 fps native 4k and then struggle to do 1080p 60 fps lower settings. Everyone was shitting on Dying Light 2 being 1080p 60 fps but well Returnal is the same thing. And its not even open world.

Even Ratchet and Spiderman which run at 1440p in their performance modes had way too many downgrades in traffic density, NPC crowds and even lighting. And even then, that 1440p was dynamic and could go down to 1080p when combat kicked up a notch.

I have no idea whats going on under the hood in the PS5 and even the XSX are struggling with 60 fps in frigging cross gen games. Whats going to happen when CPUs start to get taxed with destruction, physics, and enhanced simulation effects?

this shouldve EASILY been running at native 1440p 60 fps at the same exact settings on a equivalent PC GPU.
Why "even" XSX? Lol. The difference in brute force between the two hardware isn't it exactly noticeable outside more native pixels mostly with DRS.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I can’t play in resolution mode. Hell, I can’t even watch in game cutscenes in resolution mode. This is on PS5 hooked up to an LG C1 with all game mode features benefitting possible. It’s horrible. Performance mode seems the only way I can play. Love the game so far with a few exceptions here and there.

assurdum

Banned
Xsx has 25% more ram bandwidth. If the ps5 is being bottlenecked by the 448 gbps bandwidth it needs to share with the cpu and gpu, the xsx shouldn’t have that problem with its 560 gbps bandwidth.
Wait wut? From when ps5 bandwidth is a bottleneck? The only real advantage about the XSX hardware over the ps5, it's the CUs number, not the higher bandwidth lol. Bandwidth it's more a bottleneck on XSX than is it on ps5, it should be more proportionate to the counts of CUs, when it's not at all. And let's not talk about the array setup. The only real "bottleneck" of the ps5 compared the XSX could be the CUs number but it's less meaningful than what appear in the math.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's going to be hard going back to any Open World game that doesnt have the production values of this in terms of the animations and cutscenes. The side content is basically better than the main cutscenes of most open world games, it's insane the attention of detail here and the improvement over Horizon 1
I'm trying to imagine what a game of this calibre would look like if it wasn't open world.
Something like Resident Evil.
I just can't 😳
Everything I've played up until now just looks last gen now.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Settled on performance mode. The shimmering is definitely an issue but the fluidity is just night and day different when the bow is drawn.

I'm sure they will release an update to help the performance mode right after I finish the game.

Hoppa

Have to confess I never finished the first game before hopping into this one so from the opening until the title card I didn’t catch anything. Also the platforming felt a bit clumsy and not as polished as I was expecting it to be like an Assassins Creed BUT once the title card passed its been GREAT.

There are still references to HZD but Im sorta just piecing things together and I’ve gotten used to the platforming I think. It feels a bit fantasy and the character/outfit designs really lend to that. Awesome game so far.

Interfectum

I officially have eyes like piss-holes in the snow. Played for 5 hours straight and loved every minute. One thing I enjoyed more than I thought I would is the music in the game - it’s superb and very in keeping with the setting. The sound effects are also really well done.
Yup just got done playing and noticed I’m liking the music far more than I thought I would.

Tschumi

What is up with RESOLUTION mode? This is definitely NOT running at 30FPS. I'm not sure if it is 60 but it clearly isn't 30. Maybe once you get out of the tutorial (but why not have it locked 30 from the start).
You've stumbled upon the truth that forum fps trolls would rather you not know: if it's artfully handled and all sync'd up it can look fine, especially in third person games.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ok guys, for all of you suffering in 30fps mode, I've been there. Go to menu and put "Motion Blur" to "Low" or "Off". I put it in Low and the difference is huge! 30fps is playable again. Tried the 60fps and the fidelity hit is pretty big with shimmering everywhere as if it has glitters on the floor.

Featured-Horizon-Forbidden-West-Motion-Blur-1-1-900x506.jpg

Kagero

This game is insane! It’s pretty much impossible to put down. I wasn’t impressed with the first couple hours but it’s starting to really open up. unfortunately I’m forced to play on performance mode and it’s painful taking that graphical bit but 30 fps makes my head spin. I think this will be like a spiderman situation though. Guerilla are a bunch on geniuses. I think they will be able to mitigate the resolution issue and maintain 60fps in a patch. It might not be as clean as the fidelity mode but I think it will be like an in between solution.

Idk why exactly, but this game's 30 Hz feels smoother than pretty much any other game.

Must have like perfect frame times, or how its animated, idk. But I have no issue with it, while some games can feel juddery etc.

Guerilla and Insomniac make VERY smooth 30 fps games.

It does not feel like a significant downgrade to 60 fps. No idea what magic they are using to make this happen

Rac3r

Downloading HFW as I type this. Can't wait to play. Is there a consensus on the best graphics mode?

Top Bottom