• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

Fredrik

It was my goty. Platinumed it last year after it got the 60 fps patch, bought the PC version over Christmas and beat it three times. Twice on ultra hard.

The combat feels weird. Maybe i just need to switch to 60 fps.
Lol sorry then you need no advices from me đź‘Ť

Did you play with a controller on PC though? If you didn’t you might be in the spot I am with Cyberpunk on console, too used to mouse aiming. Might be the framerate too if you’re in resolution mode. I played through HZD on PS5 just a couple weeks ago. Going from HZD into HFW was a very smooth transition, 60fps on both, I felt at home at once.

Esca

That scene where they introduced Regala, wow that was so well done and really exciting.

Had to pull myself away to get work done but will be spending more time on it over the weekend.
I got to that scene as well tonight and I have to agree, it was excellent.

I'm really liking this game so far. Love the bow and just picking the vulnerable areas and parts off the machines, they die much quicker is a plus.

nowhat

I just got to the point in the main story shown in one trailer, where Aloy gets flushed down a stream and ends up unconscious at a shore. (not describing it further because spoilers)

HO LEE FUK. I have no idea where the story is going, but I'm so intrigued. So far many of my predictions have been dead wrong, which has been very nice.

Absolutely not, I launched GoT(PS5 version), Ratchet and Clank, U4, Spider-man(PS5 version), all of those look waaaay better on perf mode, hell I'd say HFW is worst looking game of the gen on perf mode.
Idk how anyone puts GOT anywhere near any of those games. Only games that match HFW is TLoU2 and RCRA.

They should makes all ledges grabble next game.

GymWolf

Did anyone try this? I saw some image clarity improvements but i dont know what camera sensitivity has to do with that. How would this affect my gameplay?
i tried tonight while i was trying res mode, it just make camera panning way faster and fluid, even too faster if you ask me.

Finished the first major story mission. Very impressive stuff. Cutscene quality is absolutely incredible. You can tell they mocapped every single dialogue tree option, side quest and main quest. It's kinda insane. What's more impressive are the setpiece story moments. It felt like I was watching Game of Thrones for a second.

Sadly, I am just not feeling the combat so far. I have put a lot of points into the hunter tree and still dont feel strong at all. They still havent fixed the issue of tracking enemies with your bow. They move too fast even in slow mo and it feels janky. At least in Horizon 1, you could upgrade your handling or increase your DPS, but you cant do that here. Upgrades are minor, and the passive skills are just bonuses that dont really do much. Maybe it opens up in the end game.

Try gyro aiming

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What settings are you guys using for headphones and for hdr?
I have pulse 3d and I am not sure if there is any difference between default and headphones preset.
And for hdr, I am using lg c1 and hgig. In game 0 brightness, -10 shadows and -7 highlights. Maybe overkill on both but oled can handle black levels and highlights start clipping at -6

jigglet

Banned
Does this have gyro aiming?

I really enjoyed the first one, not sure why I stopped playing it. It was good though.

GymWolf

A couple of thoughts after 4-5 hours:

digital acting and writing for secondary characters and sidequest are by far the most improved aspects of the game, this is the new gold standard for open world action rpg or just rpgs in general, it's crazy how good acting make every conversation more interesting, characters are crazy good, the faces are legit better than tlou2, good luck to starfield, they are gonna need it.

platforming, jumping,climbing are still a bit finicky, tsushima protagonist i think does those things better except for more limited climbing paths, maybe i just have to readjust myself to this game.

perf mode kinda look like shit, i only use that for combat, everything else is res mode, this is a good implementation of 30 fps and with that trick on the tweet even camera panning is more fluid, for exploration and easy skermish is perfectly fine, it doesn't even feel that slow after switching from 60 mode.

melee is a bit better yeah, but not by that much, hopefully it's gonna feel better when you unlock all the associated skills, against small dinobot is fun enough to use and pretty powerfull even on very hard.

i miss ultra hard, very hard is a bit on the easy side for now, i still died quite a lot but mostly because i kinda forgot how to play the game, i remebered about rallenty mode against the first boss...i still have bad aim without any autoaim involved so it's gonna be way harder when i'm gonna need to shot specific parts fo crafting.(please people, disable autoaim)

swimming is done right, fluid responsive movements, not much to add.

I had no graphical bugs like the shimmering thing, i guess their stealth patch fixed that for me, but the game has some pop in that i didnd't expected with a fast ssd.

The story is going exactly where i expected but it may be a false trail...

Aloy laugh much more in this one but she is still super sassy, i know a lot of people hate this but i love how she shush or troll religion zealots, it's exactly what i would do in her situation.
not liking Varl's beard was bullshit tho, aloy has shit taste.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I have pulse 3d and I am not sure if there is any difference between default and headphones preset.
And for hdr, I am using lg c1 and hgig. In game 0 brightness, -10 shadows and -7 highlights. Maybe overkill on both but oled can handle black levels and highlights start clipping at -6
You're butchering the image lol.

Just leave shadows and highlights around 0. Maybe +/- 1 or 2 at most.

Zeroing

Banned
The story is going exactly where i expected but it may be a false trail...
Well I did not expect it at all I though the story be would be simpler…
oh your mind will melt when you find out that:
Elon musk, Jeff bezos, mark Zuckerberg and company flew off on a space X shuttle, and created the multiverse

Rea

Audio setting "headphone" with 3d pulse. Hdr setting brightness-3 the rest is 0.

shubik

So I have several weapon techniques unlocked and wanted to change them. But when I press the weapon wheel and push the d pad buttons left and right nothing happens. Am I too stupid or is this a bug or am I missing something?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You're butchering the image lol.

Just leave shadows and highlights around 0. Maybe +/- 1 or 2 at most.
Not so sure. It is apparently trying to do 3000 nits at highlights 0 and 10k at 10...
Image looks more contrasty with my settings.
I need to try tone mapping instead of hgig with default settings

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It was my goty. Platinumed it last year after it got the 60 fps patch, bought the PC version over Christmas and beat it three times. Twice on ultra hard.

The combat feels weird. Maybe i just need to switch to 60 fps.

holy shit that’s dedication, I platinumed the first but I could never imagine playing it three times. Glad you enjoyed it so much.
hope the second clicks for you.

Topher

Gold Member
Well, he also praised Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, which is an unforgivable sin around these parts.

I thought AC:V was great.

Video Games Reaction GIF by PlayStation

cormack12

Gold Member
Im still in chainscape, i keep getting nagged to use fire arrows, i haven't seen them anywhere though? Have frost sling, acid arrows, shock tripcaster and traps?

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Did anyone try this? I saw some image clarity improvements but i dont know what camera sensitivity has to do with that. How would this affect my gameplay?
I did, yes it helps, sensivity to 0 movement of camera is too slow but I reduce two steps from normal settings to have balance

MikeM

On topic, I think Horizon Forbidden West is way better than Zero Dawn, there's so many improvements across the board

Even the bow feels a lot better. It could also be helping that this time someone didn't spoil the story for me like with the 1st game
Agreed. I’m targeting the hunter class first because of it. I barely use melee combat. The bow play is really fun.
Dare i say, haptics are becoming the killer app for me. Just love how it feels in single player immersive games like Horizon.
Dualsense overall has shifted me to predominantly my PS5. Series X is mainly just a GamePass console now.

TrebleShot

Dualsense features are amazing and once you add gyro aiming it’s a whole new way to play.

3D audio with headphones is incredible.
Noticed my 3D profile setting was off in teh settings so if something is a bit off or your not noticing much I recommend having a go on those.

I went from Default to Plus 1 and it’s completely evolved the sound of the game.

Will play later on my sound system.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I had some insane stutter twice now while playing. Don't know how to describe it. Felt like a heavy lag as if you would play online mixed with a look of a stop motion movie. Reloading the last checkpoint fixed it.

thegame983

Question re: ammo type & weapons
I'm still on green weapons and its pretty annoying having separate weapons for different ammo types (I've 4 different warbows & 2 tripcasters)

Does this improve as I advance through rarities?

Top Bottom