• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
From reeee

FL4Nm-kXEBMoFam

You always post things from Reeeee, are you at least vaccinated?

Luipadre

Just played 2 hours on my C9 in resolution mode with low motion blur. One of the most impressive looking game out there and the HDR is mindblowing in this one. Also this is one of the smoothest 30 fps game with really low input lag, anyone who says the resolution mode is bad... i dunno what you smoking. Ofc it feels bad immediately after you switch from 60 like everything does. The dualsense implementation is awesome, 3D audio sounds really nice and my god the music... Controlling aloy is so good, the climbing also improved a lot, feels so smooth, not to mention the animations, facial capture and VA. This will be one hell of a game

SCB3

I'll be honest, a few hours in and story withstanding, I'm not really feeling it, it feels weird to play, like it looks fantastic but there is something about the way Aloy moves, its really buggy as well in terms of clipping and climbing,

Perhaps I'm too used to Assassins Creed and BotW like climbing, but there are literal ledges I cannot grab or climb despite being able to jump that height. its little things like that

J3nga

I just refunded the game and will either wait for it to improve or release on PC.

Performance mode is a joke in my opinion. Playing UC4 on PS5 next to it is night and day difference.
Sadly, yeah, it looks awful IMO, I expected more from Sony's 1st party studio. It's ether shitty visuals or shitty framerate, in other words, GG offers you to choose between shit and shittier. I also finished U4 remaster a week ago and even at 1440p it looked much better, checked GoT:DC and my goodness how well it looks on performance mode. Also there needs to be sharpening slider, image looks over sharped on resolution mode.

Last edited:
Copy arriving today and I think Im gonna get to the whole exposition/refresher on what Zero Dawn actually is in the first game and booting this up. Resolution mode ftw.

Tomeru

Ok I know I made fun of a certain review, but why the fuck cant I use any weapon in a fight? Wtf is going on?

Yes, the blight is really poorly implemented. The reason is that all the sprite animations, like fire, smoke, water splashes and red blight is at least half in resolution in perf mode, this make the red blight flicker like crazy. To me it feels like they've prioritized 30fps 4K and the 60 fps is just riding on the PS4 implementation with double fps. I'm sure they could have given the important sprite animations a bit more love on the PS5.

The checkerboard implementation is not working well for distant foliage or details and edges in general, the image is very unstable and shimmer a lot to other checkerboard games. Maybe a 1440p with good TAA and then just upscaled would have looked better.

Yeah look at the state of this. Performance mode is definitely an afterthought..

n8w2AY1.jpg

And these are probably not very visible on a phone but watch at 4k on a TV and if you can't see the dirty image then you might want to see an optician. YouTube compression actually makes it look less obvious than it does on a PS5.

My only gripe with the graphics is that there looks like a sharpening filter applied or something. Things are too sharp if that makes sense, which leads to some pixel crawl. This is in res mode. Performance mode to me looks far less than 1800p. I don't know.

sncvsrtoip

4k 30fps is defenitly way to go as in this mode looks briliant and unforunetly in 1800cb mode blurry and not stable (especialy far background). I just cant decide if I want to play on my lg cx in game mode or in standard mode with frames interpolations that looks better and smoother but with cost of some artifacts near aloy hair and compass line when fast camera rotating. This game would so greatly benefit from 40fps dynamic res mode.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I know this is a cross gen title but I think this is the first time this gen I sat there and thought this shit is fucking Nextgen.
I know graphics aren't everything but...
The magnificence of it all and the little details.
It's wonderful

4k 30fps is defenitly way to go as in this mode looks briliant and unforunetly in 1800cb mode blurry and not stable (especialy far background). I just cant decide if I want to play on my lg cx in game mode or in standard mode with frames interpolations that looks better and smoother but with cost of some artifacts near aloy hair and compass line when fast camera rotating. This game would so greatly benefit from 40fps dynamic res mode.
Don't play standard dude ...for starters the input lag will be miserable for all the combat and secondly, you will spoil yourself for how games look and you'll start thinking game mode doesn't look great. Game mode all the way. You'll lose some of that wow factor but game mode still looks phenomenal on an Oled plus the input lag will be sooo much better

My only gripe with the graphics is that there looks like a sharpening filter applied or something. Things are too sharp if that makes sense, which leads to some pixel crawl. This is in res mode. Performance mode to me looks far less than 1800p. I don't know.
Because it IS far less than 1800p. It's reconstructed UP TO 1800p which means it's closer to what we typically think of as 1440p, but has the added negative of artifacts as well as DRS kicking in at times to lower the res even more

MikeM

man no way I’m playing on the resolution mode 30 fps fucking drags and makes me dizzy at this point. I dunno how you people do it, do you guys only play old games or something because after coming from anything 60fps you can’t go back
Same here. Maybe its my X900H with 30 fps as I previously played 30fps on a panasonic plasma (vt50). Anytime I pan the camera in 30 fps its just terrible.

Sadly, yeah, it looks awful IMO, I expected more from Sony's 1st party studio. It's ether shitty visuals or shitty framerate, in other words, GG offers you to choose between shit and shittier. I also finished U4 remaster a week ago and even at 1440p it looked much better, checked GoT:DC and my goodness how well it looks on performance mode. Also there needs to be sharpening slider, image looks over sharped on resolution mode.
This! While think its always a good thing to offer a choice between fidelity and performance modes, I think they did a bad job on this games performance mode. It doesn't have as good of image quality as Zero Dawn did on the ps4 pro. If they could've made it look as good as that, people wouldn't be complaining.

I think Zero Dawn was 1800p checkerboarded to 2160 where this is checkerboarded UP TO 1800p. That's a big distinction and would obviously be the reason for the difference.

Once again, I hate to say this, but the ps5 fails to really deliver the type of resolution I'd like to see at 60 fps. I've been saying this for a while now. Hopefully, people will see that with such a high profile game as Horizon 2.

Maybe if enough people complain it will strike a nerve with Guerilla and they'll attempt to patch that mode...

noise36

Only just started playing on Ps5 and already a game breaking bug.

Varl is stuck swimming in the water where the first underwater gear you can gather is, the next story marker the robot with arrows in it doesnt want to trigger when I move on without him.

I think like the first game I will have a love hate relationship with this game but probably still finish.

Graphics are great but at the same time annoying. Everything so bright, Aloys hair constantly moving for no reasons, the water while it looks great its all see through so the water doesn't feel like water, more like the under water part is an extention of the landscape anmd the water is just fog to move through.

I enjoyed the story of the first hopefully that part is good.

sncvsrtoip

Don't play standard dude ...for starters the input lag will be miserable for all the combat and secondly, you will spoil yourself for how games look and you'll start thinking game mode doesn't look great. Game mode all the way. You'll lose some of that wow factor but game mode still looks phenomenal on an Oled plus the input lag will be sooo much better
I dont care so much about input lag when play singleplayer game

kingfey

Banned
You don't need to hide behind mods just because you used a dumb example
Since you specifically demanded this, I would make it simple.

A basic corridor shooter is not a good benchmark to use.
This sentence is the dumbest thing a person can make.
Doom is shooter game. Unlike your open world, You are dealing with the tons of affects all at once. Its like returnal level of affects. HFW doesnt have those affects, and isnt taxing to the system.
Just because its corridor shooter games, doesn't mean it cant push the boundaries.
RPG games is the easiest to max, compared to games like doom.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

This game runs at native 4k 30 fps on a GPU that is roughly equivalent to a 2080 in standard rasterization. At least in AMD sponsored games. How in the world can a 3080 which is 2x more powerful run this at native 4k 120 fps. You'd need a GPU 4x more powerful and current no such GPU exists. Even a 3090 is only 14% more powerful which would mean it would do native 4k 65 fps at best.

I'll buy it again on PC like I did Horizon 1 just to play it at 120fps.
Which card did you have? I gave up on trying to get it to run last month. my 2080 an run it fine at mostly ultra settings at 4k 60 with DLSS at quality, but the game basically stalls around 80-90 fps no matter how hard i drop the resolution and settings. even at 1080p ps4 original settings i could only get it to 105 fps and it looked like shit.

SlimySnake

I dont care so much about input lag when play singleplayer game
lol i never play on standard but now you have my attention.

this game doesnt feel very responsive in 30 fps. maybe because im coming from returnal and horizon on PC at 100 FOV but i feel very ..... for a back of a better word... limited.

kingfey

Banned
This game runs at native 4k 30 fps on a GPU that is roughly equivalent to a 2080 in standard rasterization. At least in AMD sponsored games. How in the world can a 3080 which is 2x more powerful run this at native 4k 120 fps. You'd need a GPU 4x more powerful and current no such GPU exists. Even a 3090 is only 14% more powerful which would mean it would do native 4k 65 fps at best.
Wizard magic.
Developers push the boundaries of these systems to maximum level.

Level 5 on my way to 6. Saw a Racoon on the path and remembered that I will need to kill these little guys to upgrade my carrying pouches.
The machines really gang up on me while I'm just passing by.
Seen a few graphic popins and lighting weirdness.
I forget but do the campfires change color on the map when you light them? They stay white on mine.
I've climbed up to 3 question mark areas so far. Lots of climbing in the game. I hope everyone likes climbing if you want to do any out of the way exploring.
edit-adding that my crafting wheel acts like it's killing frame rates into the single digits when crafting arrows. Really studdery

Last edited:
Since you specifically demanded this, I would make it simple.

This sentence is the dumbest thing a person can make.
Doom is shooter game. Unlike your open world, You are dealing with the tons of affects all at once. Its like returnal level of affects. HFW doesnt have those affects, and isnt taxing to the system.
Just because its corridor shooter games, doesn't mean it cant push the boundaries.
RPG games is the easiest to max, compared to games like doom.

LMAO

Yes, HFW has those visual effects. And no, in Returnal you're being bombarded with a shit ton of particle effects. That's not what's happening in DOOM. It also has interactive vegetation, complex AIs, a dynamic weather and time system all within an open world so it doesn't which doesn't have the luxury of knowing when to stream data

DOOM has to deal with AI and flat levels for the most part. Barely any vegetation to speak of. There's a reason it's capable of running at 60fps on last-gen consoles and it's not because of "magic"

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
LMAO

Yes, HFW has those visual effects. It also has interactive vegetation, complex AIs, a dynamic weather system all within an open world so it doesn't which doesn't have the luxury of knowing when to stream data

DOOM has to deal with AI and flat levels for the most part. Barely any vegetation to speak of. There's a reason it's capable of running at 60fps on last-gen consoles and it's not because of "magic"
This is why I said its not worth arguing this topic.

SlimySnake

This! While think its always a good thing to offer a choice between fidelity and performance modes, I think they did a bad job on this games performance mode. It doesn't have as good of image quality as Zero Dawn did on the ps4 pro. If they could've made it look as good as that, people wouldn't be complaining.

I think Zero Dawn was 1800p checkerboarded to 2160 where this is checkerboarded UP TO 1800p. That's a big distinction and would obviously be the reason for the difference.

Once again, I hate to say this, but the ps5 fails to really deliver the type of resolution I'd like to see at 60 fps. I've been saying this for a while now. Hopefully, people will see that with such a high profile game as Horizon 2.

Maybe if enough people complain it will strike a nerve with Guerilla and they'll attempt to patch that mode...
We started to see that late last year with games like Guardians able to do 30 fps native 4k and then struggle to do 1080p 60 fps lower settings. Everyone was shitting on Dying Light 2 being 1080p 60 fps but well Returnal is the same thing. And its not even open world.

Even Ratchet and Spiderman which run at 1440p in their performance modes had way too many downgrades in traffic density, NPC crowds and even lighting. And even then, that 1440p was dynamic and could go down to 1080p when combat kicked up a notch.

I have no idea whats going on under the hood in the PS5 and even the XSX are struggling with 60 fps in frigging cross gen games. Whats going to happen when CPUs start to get taxed with destruction, physics, and enhanced simulation effects?

this shouldve EASILY been running at native 1440p 60 fps at the same exact settings on a equivalent PC GPU.

This is why I said its not worth arguing this topic.

If you weren't willing to argue then you shouldn't have even bothered. Interactive open-world games are fundamentally more demanding than static corridor shooters. You're not going to find many if any on here who are going to side with you on this

Last edited:
Top Bottom