• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

JeloSWE

Is it me or the 60fps mode feels like anti aliasing is turned off?
It's not, but it looks like the 1800p CB is dynamic and when out exploring in a denser areas, lots of vegetation or stuff, it might drop down closer to 1080p, there may very well be some dynamic AA going on as well. I can't say for sure but that's how it looks to me. Some scenes are crisper and some are nosier with more aliasing.

Climbing in this game is just ridiculous. They had 5 years to fix it. Breath of the Wild came out the same year as the first one and had a far superior mechanic. This is just pure trash. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I kind of agree, I think it's on purpose, so to be able to keep you in or out of areas you are not meant to go to yet, and for puzzles. I do loath all of this types of uncharted climbing, I whish the climbing were more involved and skill base, maybe you have to time and then hold down one or two buttons to actually grip and stay attached to a ledge. Now I can just hold the direction and she will auto climb and often jump horizontally by her self to the next ledge. There are the absolute minimum amount of interaction, it's just a waiting game. I mean, they can leave in the easy climbing for accessibility's sake but please make it more involved.

Silvawuff

Really enjoying this game so far, playing on PS5 performance mode. It's blazing eye-candy and so big. My brain hurts, but in a good way.

I enjoyed the OG HZD+DLC so this is just a treat continuing from that.

There's plenty of criticize, and so much more to just enjoy and get into.

MikeM

Rb8s3Ow.jpg
Banana Lick GIF

tmlDan

Climbing in this game is just ridiculous. They had 5 years to fix it. Breath of the Wild came out the same year as the first one and had a far superior mechanic. This is just pure trash. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
you think the stamina system , climb everywhere for no reason, is superior? the same system genshin impact (a mobile game) basically uses?

I'd much prefer one that didn't waste my time climbing something for no reason.

SeraphJan

Both game had different design philosophy, Horizon is a sequential open world game, BotW is a non sequential open world game. Implement the same climbing mechanic into Horizon, in some areas could break the game.

Horizon goes for a Cinematic story driven experience, and its doing well in that regard, and I don't think how implementing a stamina system could improve the gameplay in Horizon

Last edited:

Certinty

Been a while since I played the original but three hours into this and it feels like exactly the same game with much better graphics.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
About 6 hours in on PS5.

I have played Halo Infinite, Miles Morales, Dying Light 2, Returnal and Ratchet & Clank.
Besides maybe Returnal this feels like an authentic "Next Gen" game.

I can't wait for all devs to focus exclusively on XSX & PS5.

Moonjt9

I have played so far in default 30 fps , are people switching to performance or staying at default?
I tried out performance for like 15 seconds before switching back to fidelity mode. The loss of detail was too much. And surprisingly the 30fps mode still feels really good. The excellent motion blur really makes it feel fine to play.

Rambone

Game looks great, I just have to take the time to complete the first one before I treat myself to this one. Can't remember why I stopped playing the first one.

kingfey

Banned
I am having a shitty bug. This dude is ruining the game for me. He is stuck on a lake, in a swimming animation. I got myself shit lydia version.

Fixed it, by restarting my save.

Last edited:

Certinty

Yeah, pretty much. But that is what most sequels are.
I mean, I think most sequels five or more years after the previous game feel a lot more different than this does. GTA IV to GTA V and The Last of Us to The Last of Us Part II just to name a few notable examples.

Topher

Gold Member
I mean, I think most sequels five or more years after the previous game feel a lot more different than this does. GTA IV to GTA V and The Last of Us to The Last of Us Part II just to name a few notable examples.

I think that is a fair observation. Or, at least, one that would be petty for me to argue.

Last edited:

Sygma

No thanks. This is PS2-PS3 linear and boring platforming and controls.

It’s horrid. Most reviews pointed it out too. The general consensus is that it is improved over the first but not good.

This game is jack of all trades and master of none to be honest. Graphics is the only industry leading thing here. Everything else is a blender of every other game and none of it is exemplary.
its ok to be wrong and literally have zero argument of your own

kingfey

Banned
The AI interaction with environments feels weird in this game. I am playing on the base ps4, that might have something to do with this issue.

jorgejjvr

I'm here for the linearity, the story, and the old school open world

I'll let Zelda be the one to revolutionize open world games again

nowhat

I just hit get all when looting the fallen machines and stuff. Why do they have a pick individual stuff when you could just sent everything to Mustache.
That's not what that option does. Rather, for specific upgrades you have to remove certain parts of machines before killing them - with that option enabled you get said parts automatically when killing them.

Essentially you're making the game easier, but nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Kagero

I finally know what people are talking about regarding climbing 🤦🏻 Completely fine with climbing being jank but when it’s punishing me for missing jumps and getting me to tread areas over and over again it’s a no from me. Still love the game but I wish the climbing was a little more forgiving.

isoRhythm

Banned
For a Horizon lore nerd... this game goes far beyond what I hoped for.

Now please introduce the Helghast/ISA in Horizon

The main issue with the game so far is the janky climbing, reminds me of Assassins' Creed 2. And they should work on smoothing out the 30fps mode.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I am on the shuffle mission now. Was stuck on this garbling mechanics. But found the correct sequences. Just need to finish this chapter now.

xion4360

anyone else getting VERY low framerates on rare occasions? It seems to only happen when I switch graphics modes after a while. But im talking like 3fps territory until I restart the game.

Hope it gets patched out soon..or ill try to stick to one graphics mode lol

Atrus

Gold Member
For a game titled Forbidden West, I still haven’t actually entered it even though I’ve got over 20+ hours in and am level 20. Game is massive.

decisions

Bit bored of it already. I guess it's my age not a lot interest me these days.

If you’ve played the first game, this is a huge case of “been there, done that.”

It’s the exact same open-world design we’ve had since TW3. But games like GoT improved on that formula with its focus on making things seem disgetic/natural, while this one just kind of copies it exactly.

Mossybrew

The reviews were right. The story really sucks, good Lord. I'm 2 hrs in and bored as hell narration wise, may be because I did not finish the first game.
Everything else is great.
Uhh what? The story has been almost universally praised, but, you didnt finish the first game, played 2 hours of the sequel to a game with a rich, complex story, and big shocker you think it sucks? What a trash opinion.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

For a Horizon lore nerd... this game goes far beyond what I hoped for.

Now please introduce the Helghast/ISA in Horizon

The main issue with the game so far is the janky climbing, reminds me of Assassins' Creed 2. And they should work on smoothing out the 30fps mode.
Yeah the climbing is janky as hell, I wish they had just stuck with the first games system, or go whole hog like the latest AC games, because this weird hybrid climbing system is probably the games weakest mechanical system.

kingfey

Banned
Yeah the climbing is janky as hell, I wish they had just stuck with the first games system, or go whole hog like the latest AC games, because this weird hybrid climbing system is probably the games weakest mechanical system.
for me, the combat seems to be somewhat empty. My first boss was too easy. Just arrow it, until half health, then spam r1. Climbing, and sneaky kill were the only satisfying thing I had from the prologue.

This deaths door jumping puzzle maze just ruined the game. This is the opposite of fun.
Im knocking an entire grade off.
Good luck to everyone. Make sure you have a pillow to scream into before attempting this Part.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I dunno I love the game but she sounds totally bored and montone the entire time. She literally learns how to fly and she's just like

'uh....I guess that works....'
She's my least favorite part of this series. Her two tones are "out of breath" or "deep whisper". I had to enable subtitles because he voice is too exhausting to listen to.

kyliethicc

Pullcaster + Shieldwing = Fun

Having a lot of fun just exploring, trying to upgrade, and get skills.

Glad they fixed the economy and upgrade issues from HZD. Much better RPG.

Only thing I wish they had added is a way to reorder / hide tools.

Also pro tip - you can hide the headgear in settings. Do it. Aloy looks cooler without.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Pullcaster + Shieldwing = Fun

Having a lot of fun just exploring, trying to upgrade, and get skills.

Glad they fixed the economy and upgrade issues from HZD. Much better RPG.

Only thing I wish they had added is a way to reorder / hide tools.

Also pro tip - you can hide the headgear in settings. Do it. Aloy looks cooler without.
Isnt that she look cooler and more intimidating with headgear

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I read some of these takes and I know they will be hyperbolic to an extent but I just can’t help but think. This is why reviews are ultimately bullshit. People were ready to go to war over this not hitting 90 on metacritic and a 6.5 but then I see some of the opinions and think, it’s totally valid that this game has issues and probably doesn’t deserve the cumtastic jizz takes you see from these reviewers.

the term masterpiece gets thrown around far too much and just seems easy to come out if these “influencer” supposedly journalists mouths.

im not saying this game can’t be a masterpiece to some people, but when I see common complaints that there are aspects that are worst than the first game I can’t help but scratch my head.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Finally got a blue Hunter bow and the combat is immediately better. No idea why they put so much emphasis on hitting only weakpoints this time around but it got really frustrating with some enemies jumping around constantly. With the slicing hunter bow, i finally have decent rear damage which helps me shoot off components in one hit.

The story is still the game’s strongest suit. Or rather writing. Once again the sci fi stuff is really well done and meticulously explained. Bungie just goes there is no time to explain while horizon presents a literal thesis on the backstory. Its exceptional writing.

Dr Bass

I read some of these takes and I know they will be hyperbolic to an extent but I just can’t help but think. This is why reviews are ultimately bullshit. People were ready to go to war over this not hitting 90 on metacritic and a 6.5 but then I see some of the opinions and think, it’s totally valid that this game has issues and probably doesn’t deserve the cumtastic jizz takes you see from these reviewers.

the term masterpiece gets thrown around far too much and just seems easy to come out if these “influencer” supposedly journalists mouths.

im not saying this game can’t be a masterpiece to some people, but when I see common complaints that there are aspects that are worst than the first game I can’t help but scratch my head.
I agree. And this applies to multiple games across different ecosystems. I like it so far but 89 seems … a bit high to me right now.

Top Bottom