• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

jorgejjvr

anyone has recommended settings for this game?

like is everyone doing HDR settings like highlights, shadows etc at 0, default, or yall messed with it?

should tv sharpness be at 0?

color saturation higher perhaps? etc

any specific changes yall took to make this even crispier than how it is?

lol haha. I wonder if the fix was in the game but doesnt compile until you restart the game. I am guessing the day one patch which loads with the digital edition likely had logic to only run on a restart. Pretty funny. I have had issues like that when kicking off patch executables on new installs. That engineer and QA are in trouble! lol Very cool that it didnt require another patch to fix the issue.

So now, instead of patches, devs can just push updates to the game silently? That's kinda concerning....

There goes game preservation.

Isn't that technically what "hot fixes" are? Cod has been doing that for a while with like playlist updates and stuff
I understand with CoD since it's an online game..... but an offline game doing too? That's kinda crappy in my opinion.

In other words: I could be playing the game one day and stuff could just change on the next boot without me even knowing about it? That's really shady to me.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
After successful mission 😜

xWL8aEF.jpg
Animated GIF

saintjules

Hey all, really need some help here. I started playing horizon forbidden west, but I'm having a hard time enjoying it right now due to this one issue.

For some reason, when I move the camera around, while in motion the grass looks green as it should. But when I stop the camera from moving and leave it still, everything gets a lot lighter, like a white undertone. If I shake the camera fast, it's seizure inducing almost. Like..... I don't want to go through that on a game.

I tried messing with in game settings, ps5 settings, and my TV settings and nada. However, the one thing I found is that for some odd reason, switching to performance mode either does not do it, or it's much lesser that my eyes can't catch it.

On video 1 below you see me switching to performance mode, and in person I didn't see it happening, even if the phone had catch something

Anyhow, why is this happening? Any possible fix?

Why would changing graphics mode have something to do with this potentially? I was kinda hoping to play this in resolution mode.

But overall, it's really disheartening, I want to be able to enjoy this game. I went back to things like miles morales and cold war, and I don't see anything quite like this. Never seen anything like it until this game

Ps: my TV is the TCL 55R646, I've played all sorts of games here including 120hz games with no issue

Did this fix it?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I understand with CoD since it's an online game..... but an offline game doing too? That's kinda crappy in my opinion.

In other words: I could be playing the game one day and stuff could just change on the next boot without me even knowing about it? That's really shady to me.
Hot-fixes are good. Actual patches can take a long time to get approved and can cost significantly more money (and thus cannot be done as often). It’s a bonus that developers can apply quick fixes like this. Also, I don’t see a reason to worry about this. Do you think a developer is going to erase half the game without us knowing? Or do anything to damage their game?

jorgejjvr

I wish the thread wasn't closed, we still don't know for sure if it's fixed, someone on reddit went to try it and said:

"
Tested it for the last ten minutes or so. Does seem to be significantly better even with hdr back on in game. Going to continue to test it in more areas though because it's possible the area I am in just wasn't affected much to begin with.

Edit- got to a brighter area with more grass, definitely still a problem"

Not looking good

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I wish the thread wasn't closed, we still don't know for sure if it's fixed, someone on reddit went to try it and said:

"
Tested it for the last ten minutes or so. Does seem to be significantly better even with hdr back on in game. Going to continue to test it in more areas though because it's possible the area I am in just wasn't affected much to begin with.

Edit- got to a brighter area with more grass, definitely still a problem"

Not looking good

If youre still seeing it, tweet them with an example vid of what you're seeing.

anyone has recommended settings for this game?

like is everyone doing HDR settings like highlights, shadows etc at 0, default, or yall messed with it?

should tv sharpness be at 0?

color saturation higher perhaps? etc

any specific changes yall took to make this even crispier than how it is?
Came here to say yes, absolutely tv sharpness should be set to zero. I was wondering why the game looked weird and turned my sharpness all the way down and it looks so much better.

Woggleman

Loving it so far though people who don't like slow starts will not like the intro.

Also if you are playing on performance disable motion blur and it will be much sharper.

J3nga

Performance mode turns the game into the switch game, DF said it's 1800p but more like 1080p. Pretty poor job on performance mode IMHO, Spider-man remastered/MM, GoT look a lot better on performance modes. The game is a looker on resolution mode though.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Performance mode turns the game into the switch game, DF said it's 1800p but more like 1080p. Pretty poor job on performance mode IMHO, Spider-man remastered/MM, GoT look a lot better on performance modes. The game is a looker on resolution mode though.
Perfomance mode is ps4pro version running 60fps

Resolution mode is the way man 30 fps isnt that bad

Likely because of the new PS5 beta software, but this is the first game where picture setting options have been blurred out on my A90J so ALLM seems to have been updated since last Fall. Also, the HDR looks incredible in this game.

GymWolf

Well my physical copy wasn't delivered today because of the storm hitting the UK. I can be patient though.

xqZHQhX.gif

Everyone enjoying the game so far?
I still have to get out of work, retire my physical copy from gamestop and buying some sushi for the occasion...

At best i'm gonna play this thing in 3-4 hours.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I don’t get the perf mode complaints

It looks just fine…I’m starting to wonder if I should just play at 60 fps
What size tv you on out of curiosity?

Looking at the thread between when I last posted it sounds like the patch I downloaded probably wasn't applied while I was playing it, so will definitely try again today.

I can't believe how bad the IQ is in performance mode. Everything is grainy and alised and things shimmer even when the camera isn't moving. Anything that moves like waterfalls or particles are a blurry, grainy mess.

If you watched the DF video and like me thought the 60fps mode didn't look too bad just a little blurry then think again as YouTube has really flattered the IQ.

Looks very nice in resolution mode but I'm struggling with 30fps big time as it feels so clunky.

If you are fine with 30fps then I would agree that it looks better than the DF video in person.

What size tv you on out of curiosity?

Looking at the thread between when I last posted it sounds like the patch I downloaded probably wasn't applied while I was playing it, so will definitely try again today.

65”

I just restarted twice and the 30fps HDR shimmering issue is now fixed

But jumping back and forth with 60fps and I don’t recognize a big difference in clarity

Last edited:
Loving it so far though people who don't like slow starts will not like the intro.

Also if you are playing on performance disable motion blur and it will be much sharper.

To be honest I’m a little underwhelmed at the intro, paced too slow for me , however I know it will get better as it goes on.

I still have to get out of work, retire my physical copy from gamestop and buying some sushi for the occasion...

At best i'm gonna play this thing in 3-4 hours.
Please don't judge me I'm only 1/8th Italian on my fathers side. I just wanted to get that randomly off of my shoulders.

oaLro20.gif

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I may just need to switch back and forth a bit more once I get to the open world parts

Im still in tutorial area

But 60 fps is perfectly fine - I don’t get the complaints of it being extremely muddy or anything
Ah that could be it. The open world has a much higher draw distance and is far less curated than the intro which is mostly just smallish rooms like in TLOU2.

GymWolf

it made returnal 10x harder. i only thought to disable it after i bought the game again last month.

haptics are good enough.
Not only is an obstacle to gameplay but you are 100% breaking your controller faster, sony\jimbo was fucking genius when they thought about putting this shit in their controller.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

BTW the soundtrack on the digital deluxe version is one of those ones that plays on the system and doesn't let you copy it to a USB stick. The Sifu soundtrack DID let you copy it over so you could have it in your music library. They should all be required to work that way.

Yeah, I'm gonna turn on my PS5 and sit in front of my TV and do nothing to listen to the HFW soundtrack. Brilliant stuff. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom