• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Charlie: 1 million to evac, 16 foot storm surge may hit Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040813/D84E22900.html
Residents of the Tampa Bay area, where the eye is projected to hit, south to the Naples area were told to expect a storm surge of 10-13 feet. State meteorologist Ben Nelson said the surge could reach 16 feet in the Tampa area if Charley hits at 120 mph.

The bulk of the evacuations were in Hillsborough and Pinellas counties, which include Tampa and St. Petersburg, a city that sits on a peninsula.

South Florida is expecting wind gusts up to 50 mph and a couple feet of rain.

5fyul

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Yeah I was thinking of making a thread similar to this one but I decided not to.

I'm in Miami so we're pretty much ok with the exception of random tornados and heavy rain. Last night a random gust of wind kicked up heavily in my area and threw my pool tables/chairs around my backyard like ragdolls. It was very startling to say the least.

Hopefully my girlfriend's family will be allright, they live near the Tampa area (Brandon) and the storm is projected to hit near that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
50mph gusts doesn't seem that bad. But then I'm reading other reports saying that it's kicking up to 130mph. Maybe 50mph is the sustained wind speed?

edit:

"Charley has had maximum sustained winds of almost 110 mph, and it will probably strengthen as it moves over the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, the center said. The hurricane was moving north-northwest at about 18 mph and was expected to turn toward the north. "

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=aKiKdwZ.5EF4&refer=us

The same article starts off talking about 130mph wind.

AssMan

Banned
I live in Clearwater. I think my father said we are in D zone which means we're okay, but I hope it makes a turn east around Sarasota!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
With Tropical Storm Bonnie around, couldn't they have just named the hurricane Clyde?

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
I live in Tampa, but I'm zoneless (AKA No flood waters for me). My mom has had the local 24 hour news on since 7AM YESTERDAY and it's driving me crazy.

Brannon

I had the Bonnie and Clyde line in my head the first time I heard of it. Maybe they thought it would be too insensitive in case the pair did too much damage.

But it would've been too cool.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
All of you with the Bonnie and Clyde jokes I want to strangle you. THE JOKE WILL NEVER DIE IN HERE (SOUTH FLORIDA). ALWAYS SOME RANDOM FUCKER SAYING IT OUTLOUD IN PUBLIC LIKE HE'S A FUCKING COMEDIAN.

Vicious

I'm in St. Petersburg, right where the eye of the storm is headed. 80% of the buildings here are all boarded up and most people have evacuated. It's pretty crazy.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
TekunoRobby said:
All of you with the Bonnie and Clyde jokes I want to strangle you. THE JOKE WILL NEVER DIE IN HERE (SOUTH FLORIDA). ALWAYS SOME RANDOM FUCKER SAYING IT OUTLOUD IN PUBLIC LIKE HE'S A FUCKING COMEDIAN.

Yeah, but for us upstate New York folks, its a hoot.
Terrible shame about the shit going down though.

Meier

In Orlando here, so we should be relatively safe but the tropical storm force winds will probably hit us.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Vicious said:
I'm in St. Petersburg, right where the eye of the storm is headed. 80% of the buildings here are all boarded up and most people have evacuated. It's pretty crazy.

Are you sticking around there? You sure it's safe?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
It's currently hugging the western side of the state and it's at 110 mph with the pressure dropping (that means it's going to get stronger and faster). Things are going to get ugly tonight, glad to see that Florida's not taking this lightly.

Thanks to last night's scare I'm getting increasingly worried about local tornados. Some forcasters are already predicting some heavy action for my area.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
My store got 24 fucking pallets of water which are probably gonna collect dust in the sore room like last year. HAVE WE LEARNED NOTHING

Vicious

gofreak said:
Are you sticking around there? You sure it's safe?
Yes, I'm staying and no, it's probably not the safest place to be. I will probably drive over to a friends house before it gets too intense. Their place doesn't flood as bad as it does here, and they have a generator.

Ferrio

Banned
Vicious said:
Yes, I'm staying and no, it's probably not the safest place to be. I will probably drive over to a friends house before it gets too intense. Their place doesn't flood as bad as it does here, and they have a generator.

You should walk the streets yelling "I AM THE WIND GOD".

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Bowser said:
My grandmother went on a cruise to the Bahamas early (like 6 AM) yesterday. I hope nothing happens to her :(

Well, unless Charley makes a 90 degree turn East when it hits Florida, she should be just fine. Current tracks have it passing well to the West of the Bahamas.

strm3_strike_720x486.jpg

The Bahamas are the group of islands that look sort of like a lowercase "r" turned right 90 degrees to the East of Florida.

Bowser

Phew, good news (about my grandmother, not about it landing). Thanks for showing me I don't have (much) anything to fear, SteveMeister!

AssMan

Banned
"You should walk the streets yelling "I AM THE WIND GOD"."

Holy shit! You read my mind! I was hoping for some flooding and I could go out swimming yelling that!

Meier

c.gif

We're so owned. It's started to drizzle outside already.. gonna get nasty. Newspaper says we might get up to 70 mph winds here in CFL. Yikes :(

AssMan

Banned
Yup. Just started raining here. If it doesn't hit really hard my friends and I are going to play football outside in this weather.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Meier said:
c.gif

We're so owned. It's started to drizzle outside already.. gonna get nasty. Newspaper says we might get up to 70 mph winds here in CFL. Yikes :(

see ya meier. dont forget to protect the hive ;)

Vicious

They just completely changed the projected path of the storm. It already started its turn to the East, so instead of hitting St. Petersburg in Tampa Bay, it is going to hit land down in the Sarasota and Ft. Myers area.

The news also said it's gaining a lot of strength, and may even become a category 4. It only became a category 3 less than an hour ago.

Vicious

Charley is now officially a Category 4 hurricane with 145mph winds. It is approaching the strength of hurricane Andrew.

Crazy.

Ferrio

Banned
Vicious said:
Charley is now officially a Category 4 hurricane with 145mph winds. It is approaching the strength of hurricane Andrew.

Crazy.

EWWW FUCK. 3 is the worst I've been in and that sucked ass.

Meier

Mayor of Orlando Buddy Dyer warns of worst storm to hit city in 40 years...

Oh shit it's WINDY now.. this is scary.

Desperado

Bowser said:
tracy%20mcrady.jpg

"Hehe, glad I ditched that place!"

McGrady fired up for Rockets

Like Shaquille O'Neal, Tracy McGrady still is spending much of his summer in Orlando, even though he will be playing in Houston this season.

If his summer-time routine is any indication, McGrady is approaching the 2004-2005 season with a seriousness that must have the Rockets thrilled.

During the week, he lifts weights in the morning and plays basketball in the afternoon, then goes to a local high school track to run in the evening -- often after dark.

"This is as hard as I've ever worked out in my life,'' he said one night last week on his way home from the track. "But to get to the next level -- which I plan to do -- it's got to be done. I do feel bad for the fans here in Orlando. They're going to miss something really special.''

When McGrady talks of the next level, he isn't referring to anymore scoring titles or all-star appearances or even any All-NBA first-team awards. He's done all those, even though at age 25, he is just entering his physical prime.

He is talking about a championship, which he believes he will win in Houston playing alongside center Yao Ming.

"Coming to Orlando helped me become a star. I'll be forever grateful,'' he said. "But going to Houston -- when we win a championship -- means another level. It will put me in the class with a Kobe Bryant, a guy who has won multiple championships. That's who I'm chasing now. That's who I want to be measured against.''

:(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ripclawe's gif should be updated..the way the hurricane is tracking now looks different than expected, it'll go off their spotlight soon ;)

Joe

i experienced hurricane andrew, it was not pretty.

the eye of charlie is heading for port charlotte. i was born there and still have some family there.

It's early morning
The sun comes out
Last night was shaking
And pretty loud
My cat is purring
And scratches my skin
So what is wrong
With another sin
The bitch is hungry
She needs to tell
So give her inches
And feed her well