• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Storm of the decade" to hit NorCal on Thurs w/ hurricane force winds in Sierra mtns

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...recast-for-what-could-be-storm-of-the-decade/

Hurricane-Force Winds, Torrential Rain Forecast For What Could Be Storm Of The Decade
by Brandon Mercer
December 9, 2014 10:06 AM

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — Sustained winds at or near hurricane strength in the highest elevations with gusts exceeding 100 miles per hour across the Sierra summit are forecast for Thursday, with Bay Area winds easily gusting past 50 miles per hour in urban areas and 70-80 miles per hour in the local mountains and hills in what could be the storm of the decade.

Computer models are able to break down the exact time of highest danger. By mid-morning Thursday, models indicate winds peaking. Along the coast, 60 mile per hour winds are forecast, with higher gusts.

The term “hurricane” is only used to refer to tropical storms, and is used when sustained winds reach 74 miles per hour. That level of wind strength is possible at extreme elevations above 9,000 feet and higher Thursday, according to the National Weather Service warning.

KPIX 5 chief meteorologist Paul Deanno said, “Given the long-term drought and short-term saturated ground, many trees will lose the battle with the wind on Thursday.”

Deanno compares this week’s storms to other significant events saying, “For those of us who have lived here for a while, the potential of this storm is comparable to the ones in January 2008 and February 1998, both of which caused widespread wind & flooding damage. As always, the forecast can change.”

The National Weather Service has issued a whopping 15 separate warnings and advisories for the system including a Flash Flood Watch, Gale Warning, Hazardous Seas Advisory, and High Wind Watch.
Such warnings are typically issued about 24 hours ahead of the storm, but the near-certainty of this storm hitting and causing complications may have forced the early warnings.

Rainfall amounts above eight inches are forecast for the coastal ranges, triggering the Flash Flood Watch, an official notice to be looking for potential flooding. During the storm, these alerts will change from watches to warnings as actual floods begin occurring.

Rainfall amounts of over half an inch per hour are forecast, and if the storm slows, it could reach one inch per hour, causing serious flooding in the Bay Area.

Waves approaching 30 feet are predicted for surf breaks like Mavericks, and ocean swells will build to at least 20 feet by Wednesday, triggering the Small Craft Advisories and Hazardous Seas alerts. That link also includes details on high tides, where the seas will rise to meet the inundated rivers, creating even more flooding in low-lying areas like Sausalito and along the coast.

COMPLETE LIST OF WARNINGS:

Flash Flood Watch
Gale Warning
High Surf Advisory
Dense Fog Advisory
Small Craft Advisory For Hazardous Seas
Small Craft Advisory For Rough Bar
Small Craft Advisory
Gale Watch
Winter Storm Watch
Flood Watch
High Wind Watch
Special Weather Statement
Marine Weather Statement
Hazardous Weather Outlook
Hydrologic Outlook

Stay safe NorCal-GAF.

Nekofrog

Banned
we already had brownouts here at work from the weakass storm that hit last week, damaging some IT equipment

we're battening down the hatches for this one lol

Dalek

Knowing California, this "Storm of the Decade" will be comparable to a "Thunderstorm" on the East Coast.

These few big storms don't make up for the months and years of drought weather. It's a good boost but it's hard for the ground to absorb so much water in such a short amount of time, hence the flash flood warnings.

I laugh at those running around with their heads cut off. **native Floridian**

gcubed

Knowing California, this "Storm of the Decade" will be comparable to a "Thunderstorm" on the East Coast.

i moved here from the East Coast last year. I'd say this looks like a solid "severe thunderstorm" on the east coast.

Well look like it's going to be an adventure driving to work on Thursday.

Stock up on batteries and flashlights folks, we're probably gonna need em.

Dalek

i moved here from the East Coast last year. I'd say this looks like a solid "severe thunderstorm" on the east coast.

I'm an East Coast transplant too. When it rains, I go "Hmmm. Better put my hood up." Everyone else goes :

1fd0e5995324b14934395929143b613c.gif

These few big storms don't make up for the months and years of drought weather. It's a good boost but it's hard for the ground to absorb so much water in such a short amount of time, hence the flash flood warnings.

I laugh at those running around with their heads cut off. **native Floridian**

Yeah the last storm put us at normal levels of rainfall. We need a ton of sustained storms to really do damage to the drought.

I'm strangely excited to see this storm hit actually, since this drought has majorly sucked.

While driving to Bart this morning, I was musing to myself that it'd be cool if rather than the projected warm El Nino, we got a cold one instead. Winter here in the Bay Area is typically rainy so I want my winter to actually be cold and rainy.

Are there means to capture and store the rain water? Or is it all going back to the ocean?

We have reservoirs. The main damage to the drought will be water soaked into the ground and hitting the water table thought. Lots of water at once doesn't help that. That's why a snow pack that slowly melts is really awesome.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
We have reservoirs. The main damage to the drought will be water soaked into the ground and hitting the water table thought. Lots of water at once doesn't help that. That's why a snow pack that slowly melts is really awesome.

Get your own snowpack you bunch of leechers!

gcubed

I'll be braving the storm to check out the waves. First year living on the coast, they are already pretty freaking high right now

We used to have GOOD rain her every winters, but then we've gotten REALLY dry. I really hope those rainy days make a come back, and in a good way. Everything feels so off since then. I swear, there are creatures coming out(or migrating) here that I've never seen before. I remember talking to this old fellow who said some of the insects he's been seeing around are types he hasn't seen for about 50 years.

see5harp

It's not going to be the water, although that will flood some areas. It's the wind. They are saying to take down christmas lights and tie down patio furniture.

Same (although it's been 10 years) . And what's with snow chains? I drove in snow for years with an '89 Honda Accord, now I need them just to be allowed to drive to Tahoe.

rykomatsu

I have a street tree leaning badly towards my home. The arborists will not cut down the tree without a permit and the city did not issue me a permit fast enough to get it cut. (ffs, they could have just issued it as an emergency after showing them a picture of it)

I'm worried that the tree will come down on my home during this storm :(

Boogie9IGN

Just has to hit on the day of my last final which means I'll have to commute hella early in the morning and go back home late -_-'

I'm thinking of just driving the inside streets from SJ to Mt View instead of the freeways, I get too scared of hydroplaning

DarkFlow

Banned
I have a street tree leaning badly towards my home. The arborists will not cut down the tree without a permit and the city did not issue me a permit fast enough to get it cut. (ffs, they could have just issued it as an emergency after showing them a picture of it)

I'm worried that the tree will come down on my home during this storm :(
Can you brace it with some 2x4's? Might be worth a shot at least.

Was waiting for someone to mention water politics, glad this thread delivered.

You know thats how it goes in Cali threads.

Same (although it's been 10 years) . And what's with snow chains? I drove in snow for years with an '89 Honda Accord, now I need them just to be allowed to drive to Tahoe.

Unless you are driving a 4x4 you will always have to use snow chains on the west coast.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Will be sure to smokes lots of weed and watch anime with the windows open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom