• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Storm of the decade" to hit NorCal on Thurs w/ hurricane force winds in Sierra mtns

Status
Not open for further replies.

yayaba

Yeah my back patio is flooding pretty badly. Luckily I have a small drain pipe there but the incline of the patio prevents water from flowing that direction... shoddy design. So I have to go out there and push it away with a broom every hour or so.

studyguy

holy shit my yards a swimming pool, any tips on keeping the water out my house?

Real talk, if you're genuinely concerned about water getting in, say if you have a basement or something, caulk the doors/windows.
Sandbags of course, but assuming you have the time, which by the sound of it prob not.

Real talk, if you're genuinely concerned about water getting in, say if you have a basement or something, caulk the doors/windows.
no basement just a ground level home with a back yard front yard and a garage. My back yard is done for and now all the water is flowing to the front yard. I have about a inch left before the water reaches the back door.

Ultryx

5 hours north of SF and things are much calmer here, although the swells are still very large. Not as much wind right now and the rain has ceased. It was raining about 45 minutes ago.

studyguy

Heh basement in CA, that's funny =)

Southern California, no, Northern. Maybe.
It was just an aside. But the suggestion will work all the same ground level or not. you can still caulk the frame and get some help that way in an emergency. If it's an inch till it reaches your door though, that's pretty damn late.

Lay some towels down. Get a boat.
4e7.jpeg

Luckily my route home from school is just a bit of Lawrence Expressway in fact I just left my campus skipping out on the crappy ass class I was in and it's just been rain so far nothing major flooded no we'll see how my house is doing once I get there

Dalek

Are we always going to check out lake Oroville every time with the misleading images. No one will dispute the area is currently in drought mode and that the dam is producing less power but those images were always misleading as fuck. Lake Oroville IS ALWAYS low as a motherfucker depending on the season (low as fuck in winter high as shit in summer) The 2014 comparisons were from January iirc, meanwhile the 2011 popular ones were during summer.

Here is Oroville in Winter 09.
Dude cmon. I went to Lake Shasta this summer and it nearly broight me to tears its so low. It's horrifying.

studyguy

Dude cmon. I went to Lake Shasta this summer and it nearly broight me to tears its so low. It's horrifying.

Lake Shasta is not Lake Oroville though. It's moot, you might as well post an image of a lake frozen in the winter and not in the summer when talking about Oroville and how it changes seasonally. I stated that it is in a severe drought, the dam producing much less energy too, but the images were criminally misleading either way. The low points are always, always in winter and the high seasons are always summer images.

I'm not going to be out here like a dude defending the drought like that other poster mentioned lmao, I work in agriculture all through the southern coast and into parts of northern California. Most of the weather patterns affect me directly so it tends to stay within my day to day.

Chumly

Are we always going to check out lake Oroville every time with the misleading images. No one will dispute the area is currently in drought mode and that the dam is producing less power but those images were always misleading as fuck. Lake Oroville IS ALWAYS low as a motherfucker depending on the season (low as fuck in winter high as shit in summer) The 2014 comparisons were from January iirc, meanwhile the 2011 popular ones were during summer.

Here is Oroville in Winter 09.
Yes the pictures are misleading but you just went in the opposite direction of misleading. Lake oroville is still significantly lower than normal.

Blearth

Banned
Southern California, no, Northern. Maybe.
It was just an aside. But the suggestion will work all the same ground level or not. you can still caulk the frame and get some help that way in an emergency. If it's an inch till it reaches your door though, that's pretty damn late.

Lay some towels down. Get a boat.
I've been all up and down NorCal and I've never seen a basement. Maybe in the mountains. But nobody lives in the mountains.

I walked 15 minutes in the pouring rain this morning (and got totally drenched) in order to catch a bus to work. A few minutes before I left my apartment the power in our entire neighborhood went out. When I got into the office I realized that 99% of people decided to stay home, so I'm one of, like, 10 people physically at the office.

And all of this because of a little rain?!! As an ex-New Yorker who lived through Hurricane Sandy I'm pretty bewildered. Pull it together, Bay Area.

I'm at home today and I know most of my team is too. It isn't about getting wet or being afraid of the weather, it's about not getting stuck in traffic for 3 hours each way. If you have to drive to work in the Bay Area traffic is terrible as a default, a storm like this one will make it much worse.

Pull up Google Maps right now and look for the incident markers, basically all the freeways are flooded at multiple points. Or just look at some of the pics being posted in this thread. These storms don't happen that often so the Bay Area doesn't invest in the infrastructure to make them go more smoothly.

Lake Shasta is not Lake Oroville though. It's moot, you might as well post an image of a lake frozen in the winter and not in the summer when talking about Oroville and how it changes seasonally. I stated that it is in a severe drought, the dam producing much less energy too, but the images were criminally misleading either way. The low points are always, always in winter and the high seasons are always summer images.

I moved to Butte County about 6 years ago and visit the Oroville Dam a few times a year and can confirm this. When I first seen it so low it did make me say holy shit though. Are you a Butte County resident by any chance?

studyguy

I moved to Butte County about 6 years ago and visit the Oroville Dam a few times a year and can confirm this. When I first seen it so low it did make me say holy shit though. Are you a Butte County resident by any chance?

I go up and down the coast regularly for my job. If you think Oroville is scary you should check out some of the things we have here further south.

jyoung188

Heh basement in CA, that's funny =)

Childhood home here in Norther California had a basement and the house I just bought here in Northern California has a basement too.

I've been all up and down NorCal and I've never seen a basement. Maybe in the mountains. But nobody lives in the mountains.

My childhood house with the basement was in Yuba City which is in the valley. And the house I bought recently with the basement is in the Sutter Buttes witch is barely a mountain lol, but it's up out of the flood plain which is good.

besada

Banned
Stay safe everyone, and remember it takes much less water than you think to set your car floating. Speaking as an experienced carboater, you don't want to do it.

Stay safe everyone, and remember it takes much less water than you think to set your car floating. Speaking as an experienced carboater, you don't want to do it.

I've been reading articles on SFGATE, and seen tons of photos of cars stuck in two feet of water. This is the truth.

Pandacon

Anyone know of any flood maps or something? just want to see if it's better for me to go 380 to 280n, or do 101n to 280s. I work near SFO.

So all this flooding is within the INNER bay area right? no one reports anything here in the diablo valley or anything beyond the hills?

Yup. My experience involved about two feet of water, which floated my car sideways into someone's yard.

but two feet is A LOT of water. I wouldnt DARE drive through... maybe with a lifted vehicle I would never own..

GhaleonEB

Northern Oregon here. The tip of this storm is just starting to arrive - trees are shaking pretty good, wind picking up fast. Should be a fun night.

What a moron unless he was stuck there before the barricades.
Still a moron

Does California have a stupid motorist law like Arizona. If you get stuck driving through a flooded road and you have to get rescued, you have to pay the bill?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like they are already predicting another storm to hit the area on Monday.

Yeah there's supposed to be rain tomorrow, a bit of sunshine, and then back to rain! Stuff evaporates quickly here, but this amount of water will take a bit.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
What a moron unless he was stuck there before the barricades.
Still a moron

Does California have a stupid motorist law like Arizona. If you get stuck driving through a flooded road and you have to get rescued, you have to pay the bill?

I believe so. I think I remember hearing that there's a law where if YOU risk your life to do something frivolous like the above photo, then it's firemen etc having to bust their butts to get you, the dummy, out. Makes sense to me. No accident involved, just a risk you made yourself, and now emergency has to rescue you, when more serious stuff could be happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom