• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Charlie: 1 million to evac, 16 foot storm surge may hit Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.
thehurricanew.jpg

Vicious

Well I'm glad I chose not to evacuate with the other 350,000+ people in this county, since we're not going to get hit at all now.

Miguel

I wonder if FT ever made it out of Orlando to come to Houston. He should be on day 2 of Apartment Finding. Maybe I'll send him a text message or something in a minute. Or call him.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wow, the commentators I'm listening to are talking about 18 feet of storm surge possible in parts...it's very low-lying in parts, so that could be BAD.

Culex

Banned
It's funny that this hurricane is hitting the one spot where it people hoped it wouldn't: the warm water bay.

Loki

Count of Concision
Crazy stuff-- hopefully all you guys in Florida stay safe. :) Do you Floridians who seem to be in the path of the storm (Meier et al.) have some contingency plan should things get too intense? Do you have underground bunkers or some such? Best of luck to all of you.

Meier

No.. no bunkers or anything of that sort. Typically they would evacuate to schools although I dont think there's been much in Orlando minus mobile homes since no one expected it to come our way. My friend's parents boarded up their house but we're not going to. We just moved our cars to neighbors who dont have as many huge trees as us and are hoping for the best. My dad wanted to drive his car down to the airport to park it there since he has a BMW but my mom told him he was overreacting and we were all supposed to be off the road by 2.

Smidget

Nothing underground here. Just figured go into our long hallway with no windows and maybe bring in a mattress if it's that bad. Nothing really else you can do.

Bigfoot

The Bonnie and Clyde thing can never happen. They have been using the same names since 1953. There is 6 sets, and they rotate the names every year...

Link

Bowser

And now the rain is gone. That lasted all of 20 minutes or so. It's not sunny, but it's considerably brighter outside.

Meier

Aww man, just heard a story on the local 24 hour news channel (Central Florida News 13) about how a moving truck was on a major road here (the Bee Line) and got blown into oncoming traffic after a strong gust of wind and then fell over onto another vehicle, trapping everyone inside (2 adults, 3 children). One of the children, a young girl, died at the hospital :(

Bowser

Meier said:
Aww man, just heard a story on the local 24 hour news channel (Central Florida News 13) about how a moving truck was on a major road here (the Bee Line) and got blown into oncoming traffic after a strong gust of wind and then fell over onto another vehicle, trapping everyone inside (2 adults, 3 children). One of the children, a young girl, died at the hospital :(

Damn that's sad :(

WTF ARE PEOPLE DOING DRIVING DURING A FUCKING HURRICANE ANYWAY?

Meier

Who knows. Total idiots.. they ordered no one to be on the road after 2 but some people just dont listen.

----

Banned
I have no idea how Florida handles hurricanes, but isn't it possible that they were just stuck in traffic and did not plan to be on the highway when they were?

marsomega

Meier, how are the news stations? Any over reactions? If its one thing I can't stand, is people hyping a disaster before it happens. Guess thats the media in general for you.

Andrew was intense. They still argue here till this day about sustaining a cat 5. Problem is Andrew blew out sensors left and right. (The national hurricane center is actually right next Florida International University.)

Most people don't take into account the size of the storm. Thing about Andrew was that it was a small hurricane (physically) at Cat 5. Not my field of study but the way it picked up forced so quickly was attributed to that.

If anyone of you have played doom and seen the red windy outdoor levels. Imagine the red darker, and thats what andrew looked like from the inside except for the windws (obviously tearing it up). No clouds no nothing just a red sky and red tint all over. What was crazy about it was, you would see things getting pummeled in the winds. What was fucked up about it , is when you saw things like a car or huge tree get ripped up by invisible hands. Apparently, those were the tornados.

MASB

About the 2 million people evacuated, where do they all go? That's a lot of people to be moving in such a short time. Unless I was in a very low lying area that was sure to be flooded, I wouldn't evacuate myself. When most hurricanes happen, even with the worst ones, 99.9999% of the people affected survive it, so I don't see the point. If you're going to die, then you will. Unless you walk outside during the hurricane and yell "Come and get me!!" while laughing manically, in which case, I could see how you should have taken some extra steps to save your life. ;)

Ripclawe

Banned
About 15 billion dollars in damage so far, 3 dead, hopefully this keeps at a low low number.

and this is a damn fool

mdf655919.jpg

Kiteboarder Ian Johnstone takes advantage of the high winds provided by Hurricane Charley as the storm's leading edge nears Fort Myers, Florida August 13, 2004. Hurricane Charley strengthened dramatically as it neared Florida's west coast on Friday with 145 mph winds that sent tens of thousands of people scrambling to higher ground. (Marc Serota/Reuters)

Ripclawe said:
About 15 billion dollars in damage so far, 3 dead, hopefully this keeps at a low low number.

and this is a damn fool

mdf655919.jpg

Kiteboarder Ian Johnstone takes advantage of the high winds provided by Hurricane Charley as the storm's leading edge nears Fort Myers, Florida August 13, 2004. Hurricane Charley strengthened dramatically as it neared Florida's west coast on Friday with 145 mph winds that sent tens of thousands of people scrambling to higher ground. (Marc Serota/Reuters)

wtf crazy fool

I'm alive and my apartment is basically intact! :) Too bad I can't say the same for the rest of the apt. complex. Everything is pretty fucked up. Trees on the ground, broken windows, broken fences, torn off roofs, and I even saw a couple of cement benches that got tipped over by the wind. How my windows held up while cement benches got tipped over, I do not know. I'm just glad they did.

I saw some crazy people clowning around in the middle of the hurracane. There were a couple of drunk guys in the pool and some guy went outside to pick up avocatos that fell from a tree. Hmm, risk getting smacked by a flying piece of wood flying at 80mph or get first pick of some avocatos, tough choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom