• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Hey GAF, I got a 1070 rig with an i7 6700k last December. Just in the last couple of weeks though, I thought it would be neat to give overclocking a try. I did manage to OC the CPU pretty easily up to 4.5GHz, but I've been trying to do the same for my GPU in MSI Afterburner, but it won't let me change the core voltage to reach reach higher clock speeds. The entire option is greyed out. I know that every GPU is different and that some allow to change the voltage while others don't. Is this the case for the MSI GTX GAMING 8G GPU, and is there any way I could alter the BIOS to get it to do so?

Hey GAF, I got a 1070 rig with an i7 6700k last December. Just in the last couple of weeks though, I thought it would be neat to give overclocking a try. I did manage to OC the CPU pretty easily up to 4.5GHz, but I've been trying to do the same for my GPU in MSI Afterburner, but it won't let me change the core voltage to reach reach higher clock speeds. The entire option is greyed out. I know that every GPU is different and that some allow to change the voltage while others don't. Is this the case for the MSI GTX GAMING 8G GPU, and is there any way I could alter the BIOS to get it to do so?

You have to click settings on MSI Afterburner, and under 'Compatibility properties' there'll be an option to unlock voltage control. It's not unlocked by default.

BraXzy

Not CPU usage - CPU clock speed. All this tells is that your CPU usage was fairly high (and peaked at 100 for all but two threads) all the time, which is to be expected.

Ahh apologies I'm a bit useless with this side of stuff. I'm playing Rocket League at the minute and these are the clocks it's maintaining constantly from a bit of monitoring in HW Monitor. I don't see CPU Clocks in Afterburner's graphs that I could see.

http://i.imgur.com/Pe9yM9l.png

LilJoka

Ahh apologies I'm a bit useless with this side of stuff. I'm playing Rocket League at the minute and these are the clocks it's maintaining constantly from a bit of monitoring in HW Monitor. I don't see CPU Clocks in Afterburner's graphs that I could see.

Its definitely not CPU or GPU throttling. I still get the feeling its something running in the background. The 3dmark scores were not too far off normal.
The Bf1 scores differ a lot, but that might be due to some other settings that stray from the ultra preset - whats the resolution scaling you using in BF1? Wasnt this setting bugged?

demented

Koji mis da uzmem? Imam prvi deathadder ali crkava polako, double click se desava i middle click ne radi vise skoro nikad, pa neki slicnih dimenzija i oblika?

GLedam zowie i poredjenja ez, za i fk modela i ne znam bas, grip mi je promjenjiv, nekad palm, nekad claw nekad hybrid..
Igram svasta tako da nije specificna potreba za necim, fpsovi, moba, rpg... Treba mi nesto kvalitetno i sa odlicnim senzorom a da nije 100+ e

Which mouse should I buy? I have first deathadder from 2008 but it's slowly dying, double clicks happening and middle click almost never works, so a replacement of similar dimensions and shape maybe.

I've been checking zowie mice because that's what a lot of pros use and these comparison videos of za, fk and ec and I'm not really sure which one, my grip is changeable, sometimes i use palm sometimes claw and sometimes hybrid depending on what I'm doing.
I play all sorts of games and I want something for under 100e with good sensor and that's quality.

Also whats a good brand or series for external hdd?

BraXzy

Its definitely not CPU or GPU throttling. I still get the feeling its something running in the background. The 3dmark scores were not too far off normal.
The Bf1 scores differ a lot, but that might be due to some other settings that stray from the ultra preset - whats the resolution scaling you using in BF1? Wasnt this setting bugged?

My original settings were a mix of ultra/very high with 120% scaling. I dropped it to High 100% and the results were the same FPS wise. Doing a repair on BF1 in origin in case there's something up with the files, but I feel like I've had other games run a bit slower than expected anyway.

Having a look at some cases to move to, so hard to pick one out in the mid-tower category. Currently eyeing the NZXT S340 Elite, the Fractal Design S and the Corsair 400C.

Sorry, I thought Afterburner could display CPU clocks, but apparently it can't :/ Anyway, you need to find some tool that monitors the CPU clocks while playing BF1 (or another very CPU taxing game. You could use Prime95 and do a stress test (small ffts, 8 threads), but that's gonna be even heavier on the CPU. I.e. if you these kind of temperatures from playing regular games, your CPU sure is gonna throttle in Prime.

Second thing is it could be your RAM being very slow.

Fakeedit: actually you can get cpu clocks displayed in MSI Afterburner if you also use HWInfo64. Maybe just google for a manual for that, because I've only found one in German, which is not gonna help you much I guess.

LilJoka

My original settings were a mix of ultra/very high with 120% scaling. I dropped it to High 100% and the results were the same FPS wise. Doing a repair on BF1 in origin in case there's something up with the files, but I feel like I've had other games run a bit slower than expected anyway.

Having a look at some cases to move to, so hard to pick one out in the mid-tower category. Currently eyeing the NZXT S340 Elite, the Fractal Design S and the Corsair 400C.

Don't know if this is still the case but

In short, you should keep it at 42 percent, unless you want the game to render at a higher resolution than your monitor’s native resolution, or vice versa. You can even make sure for yourself that 42 percent is the native option when you type in “render.drawscreeninfo 1” into the console.

With a peak temp of 91c CPU temp, it won't throttle.

You can also check if GPU usage is 99-100% to rule out a CPU issue.

Don't know if this is still the case but

In short, you should keep it at 42 percent, unless you want the game to render at a higher resolution than your monitor’s native resolution, or vice versa. You can even make sure for yourself that 42 percent is the native option when you type in “render.drawscreeninfo 1” into the console.

With a peak temp of 91c CPU temp, it won't throttle.

You can also check if GPU usage is 99-100% to rule out a CPU issue.

Are you really sure about this? At what temperature do Intel CPUs throttle?

Budget? That's got an i7-6700 in there, it's not a budget machine.

I mean, it's not bad price wise for what you're getting, though you would be getting the 4GB version of the RX 480 rather than the 8GB version of the card, which can limit its performance if pushed. It's roughly in the price range of what you'd pay to build it yourself if absolutely cheaping out on some parts, so in that respects its a decent price.

What exactly are you wanting to do with this, in terms of games usage?

LilJoka

Fairly good, an ssd could be added.
You just don't know what GPU cooler you'll get or the quality of the PSU. Or exactly what motherboard it'll be.

A custom build to compare
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($95.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $918.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-18 16:59 EST-0500

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

LilJoka

I think anyone building right now should wait for Ryzen. It's looking inevitable that Intel have to react, we should expect some price movement at the very least.

dcx4610

Jamaro85

Anybody have experience with VA panels for gaming? I'm wondering how bad of an issue ghosting can be. TN panels seem to be the way to go for a gaming monitor, checking far many more of the boxes, but I always get caught up on reading about how VA and IPS have superior picture quality.

Edit: Wow, think I may have finally found the monitor I'm looking for in the Samsung C24FG70. 24" 1080p VA panel, 1 ms response, FreeSync (only 70-144hz but LFC is still there in some capacity). Supposedly does a decent job of limiting ghosting, though overshoot can be an issue in the 115hz range. At $299.99 this seems like a pretty good deal for anybody with similar criteria for a monitor.

Edit #2: I am dead right now at this Hansung monitor. It sounds like a brand created for a parody that didn't want to use Samsung's brand name.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So I guess I want to splurge on a 1050 Ti to replace my 750 Ti that I've technically only had for just under two years and still works just fine. I've got a smaller Dell case so it's the only thing that fits and the PSU should be fine. Has anyone else upgraded along the same path who can say whether such an upgrade is worthwhile?

Also, I guess if PCPartPicker says that Newegg with its MIR is the cheapest price I can get, that's probably the cheapest I'm going to find it?

kogasu

It's an old power supply. A converter may work but I wouldn't risk it. It's not a big money sink to get a quality power supply that will run more efficient and have everything you need. Especially if you are going to go with a GTX 1060.

Something like this.. $40

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-WHITE-Power-Supply-100-W1-0500-KR/dp/B00H33SFJU

Ok then. I wasn't seeing a lot of people talking about those power adapters at all but, from what I've read about PCIe power cables, it seems like those converter things would be innately risky and maybe temporary fixes if that. Just wanted to see if my worries were well founded.

I'll go with what you say and get a new PSU. Thank you very much! :)

0racle

Slight issue here.

I have a Corsair h115i. I noticed there is a micro USB from the led Corsair/CPU cooler that's attached to the CPU. This heads to one of my on board USB 2.0 plugs.

Problem is I need it as my front case USB plugs won't work if I don't plug it into that

Any easy solutions for me? Keep it as tech simple as possible please.

Jamaro85

So I guess I want to splurge on a 1050 Ti to replace my 750 Ti that I've technically only had for just under two years and still works just fine. I've got a smaller Dell case so it's the only thing that fits and the PSU should be fine. Has anyone else upgraded along the same path who can say whether such an upgrade is worthwhile?

Also, I guess if PCPartPicker says that Newegg with its MIR is the cheapest price I can get, that's probably the cheapest I'm going to find it?

To answer your last question, I wouldn't put 100% faith in PCPartPicker prices. For one, they removed Microcenter from their searches awhile ago, so if you have one within reasonable driving distance you may want to check there. Additionally, sometimes they have outrageous, seemingly random shipping prices listed for Amazon listings. I came across at least three components I was considering where this was the case. Amazon might have the best price, or be a few bucks more (with the convenience of dealing with Amazon offsetting the couple bucks) but then the shipping would be listed at $15.49 on PCPartPicker for a $99.99 item despite being listed on Amazon as having standard fulfillment by them.

0racle

search

Where do I plug my two SSD drives into the sata ports? are they all the same speed? any recommendations?

its a gigabyte z170x GT

shwimpy

Hey guys, i need some recommendations on whisper quiet fans, both for the case and heatsink... and i mean WHISPER quiet.

Thanks!

Swig_

Can anyone recommend a monitor mount for three 27" monitors? I bought a VIVO triple monitor display, but It looked really, really unstable, like it couldn't support the weight. The arms sagged down. I also need one that can be adjusted so that the monitors are curved around and not just flat. The VIVO stand had absolutely no movement, so all three monitors could only be flat.

I'm wondering if I need to get a double monitor stand for two of them and then a second mount for my third monitor that will be angled.

The way I have my desk set up, they would look kind of like this: _ _/ or \ _ /, but obviously not angled that wide.

Fedelias

Mass Effect Andromeda looks pretty crazy so it might be time for me to start to overclocking my CPU/GPU. Never done any overclocking before so I was wondering if anyone here had any general tips/advice? My PC has a 4690K and a 970.

Weevilone

search

Where do I plug my two SSD drives into the sata ports? are they all the same speed? any recommendations?

its a gigabyte z170x GT

Check the manual to see that you're plugging them into ports that are part of the Intel chipset and not an Asmedia (or other) 3rd party controller.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished looking at CPU benchmarks that I've run on some of my computers over the years...
(I didn't save any results from my Core2 Extreme X6800 system or Athlon 64 based systems unfortunately)

Super Pi mod 1.5 XS 1M (lower is better)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Core2 Q6600 @ 3.6ghz - 14.500s
Core2 Q9650 @ 4ghz - 11.531s
i7 930 @ 4ghz - 10.281s
i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz - 8.171s
i7 7700k @ 4.7ghz - 7.892s

Super Pi mod 1.5 XS 32M (lower is better)
-------------------------------------------------------------
Core2 Q6600 @ 3.5ghz - 16m 2.875s
Core2 Q9650 @ 4ghz - 12m 15.579s
i7 930 @ 4ghz - 10m 2.302s
i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz - 7m 31.903s
i7 7700k @ 4.7ghz - 6m 48.621s

Cinebench 10 (higher is better)
--------------------------------------------
Core2 Q9650 @ 3.9ghz - xcpu = 17287 cb
i7 930 @ 4ghz - 1cpu = 5863 cb, xcpu = 23603 cb
i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz - 1cpu = 7405 cb, xcpu = 29112 cb

Cinebench 11.5 (higher is better)
------------------------------------------------
i7 930 @ 4ghz - 6.83 pts
i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz - 8.9 pts
i7 7700k @ 4.7ghz - 11.42 pts

Cinebench 15 (higher is better)
--------------------------------------------
i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz - 808 cb
i7 7700k @ 4.7ghz - 1052 cb

CPU-Z benchmark (higher is better)
--------------------------------------------------
i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz - 1741 single-threaded / 7470 multi-threaded
i7 7700k @ 4.7ghz - 2361 single-threaded / 10189 multi-threaded

It's interesting to be able to look back in time and see how much faster cpus have gotten.
I also didn't realize that I had been using quad-cores for so long... every cpu benchmarked here is has 4 cores (some without HT though) :(

dcx4610

Slight issue here.

I have a Corsair h115i. I noticed there is a micro USB from the led Corsair/CPU cooler that's attached to the CPU. This heads to one of my on board USB 2.0 plugs.

Problem is I need it as my front case USB plugs won't work if I don't plug it into that

Any easy solutions for me? Keep it as tech simple as possible please.

What kind of motherboard? Surely you have more than one USB header on the board. The USB connection from the Corsair is for extra monitoring and control through the Corsair Link application. It's technically optional but I'm sure you would have another header you could use. Worst case you could probably feed a micro USB cable out of the case into a USB port on the back of the system.

dcx4610

search

its a gigabyte z170x GT

As someone else mentioned, check your manual. Usually SATA ports are made by two different companies and it will tell you which are which and they might be different colors. Usually half Intel and half Asmedia. Both are typically the same speed but Intel is the better bet due to more stable drivers, compatibility and BIOS options.

Weevilone

Just finished looking at CPU benchmarks that I've run on some of my computers over the years...
(I didn't save any results from my Core2 Extreme X6800 system or Athlon 64 based systems unfortunately)

I was looking at some CPU benchmarks from my i7 980X that I'm still using in a workstation. When overclocked to ~5GHz or so, the 7700k is pretty much dead even with it.

Of course the hex core is not as good for single threaded apps, but it's been a great CPU despite being priced at $1000 in 2010. I've certainly gotten my good out of it in 7 years.

Jamaro85

Mass Effect Andromeda looks pretty crazy so it might be time for me to start to overclocking my CPU/GPU. Never done any overclocking before so I was wondering if anyone here had any general tips/advice? My PC has a 4690K and a 970.

There's a guy on the Overclock.net forum who I think did an amazing job with a Kaby Lake overclocking thread. I hadn't overclocked a PC in a decade, and while I did a bit of research before stumbling upon that, he really brought it all together for me. I feel like someone could go in there completely clueless and come out knowing everything they will need to know about overclocking Kaby Lake.

Anyway, he also has a Skylake and Haswell thread, so I hope his Haswell thread is able to help you as much as his Kaby Lake thread helped me. Just skimming through his OP it doesn't look any less comprehensive than the Kaby Lake thread.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics/

Hopefully that's enough to get you up to speed on the processor (literally). I have no idea with the 970 honestly, hopefully someone else can point you the right way with that.

In case you or anybody else are interested in the Kaby Lake thread:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1621347/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics/

Need an opinion of this PC build:

CPU Intel Core i5-7600K (I'm going to overclock it)
Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M3
Watercooler Cooler Master Seidon 120V
GPU MSI GTX 1070
Case Thermaltake Commander MS-I Epic Edition
PSU Corsair CX600 80 Plus Bronze

I'm mainly worried about 2 things:

1) Is the PSU powerful enough or should I go for another one? Though, I'm not looking for anything much more expensive, since my budget is limited.
2)Will the watercooler fan fit the case? I'm asking since, at least according to the specs, it should, but I've also had another case that should have been able to fit it since it was wide enough, but it had trouble fitting in and in the end I couldn't close the case completely (it was a Sentey Optimus GS-6000)

LordAlu

Need an opinion of this PC build:

CPU Intel Core i5-7600K (I'm going to overclock it)
Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M3
Watercooler Cooler Master Seidon 120V
GPU MSI GTX 1070
Case Thermaltake Commander MS-I Epic Edition
PSU Corsair CX600 80 Plus Bronze

I'm mainly worried about 2 things:

1) Is the PSU powerful enough or should I go for another one? Though, I'm not looking for anything much more expensive, since my budget is limited.
2)Will the watercooler fan fit the case? I'm asking since, at least according to the specs, it should, but I've also had another case that should have been able to fit it since it was wide enough, but it had trouble fitting in and in the end I couldn't close the case completely (it was a Sentey Optimus GS-6000)
1) It is, although it's a distinctly average. You should be able to find the EVGA 500B for a similar price which would be a better choice.
2) Nope. That case is pretty old and quite bad. The only possible place to mount would be the top, and it would only support a max thickness of 25mm - just the radiator itself is 27mm. A much better choice for similar money would be the NZXT S340, or either the Phanteks Eclipse P400 or Enthoo Pro M.

A slightly broad question - and I appreciate that nobody has a crystal ball - I've a build in mind, but I'm more interested as to whether now is the right time to pay out for it? I'm currently in the UK, and with everything going on (recent, significant price increases on things like Surfaces and Macbooks), I have a feeling that if I wait, prices on the components I want are more likely to go up rather than drop down anytime soon... plus I'm also in the market for a G-Sync monitor, which is far from cheap in the first place.

Curious to hear what more seasoned upgraders think.

LordAlu

A slightly broad question - and I appreciate that nobody has a crystal ball - I've a build in mind, but I'm more interested as to whether now is the right time to pay out for it? I'm currently in the UK, and with everything going on (recent, significant price increases on things like Surfaces and Macbooks), I have a feeling that if I wait, prices on the components I want are more likely to go up rather than drop down anytime soon... plus I'm also in the market for a G-Sync monitor, which is far from cheap in the first place.

Curious to hear what more seasoned upgraders think.
Right now? Wait two weeks. AMD are releasing their Ryzen processors, which from the looks of it seem to bring you pretty much Intel performance levels for quite a bit less money. If anything it will hopefully force Intel to be more competitve pricing wise, which could save you some money on your build if you went with Intel anyway.

Otherwise, there's nothing on the horizon until later this year when new top-end AMD GPUs come out, but I'm not sure that's a reason to wait at the moment.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
There are better choices in every respect at the same price point. The 212/X is thoroughly mediocre.

i wouldn't mind some suggestions because i can't find anything at ~£30 that is significantly better. the noctua ones (d14-15) are about ~£70 and don't seem to worth the extra money. at that price i might aswell look into an AIO which are ~£100 for the popular corsair models.

my 212X is just fine with my overclocked 6700K (1.34V which is quite high) which is averaging about 20c browsing the internet/streaming music. during games at 1440p 60fps with only a few settings lowered in most games (gta v, the division, watch dogs 2, es:eek:, doom) it's usually anywhere between 50-65C but can sometimes spike to 70 here and there. during video editing the highest i've seen it was 73C. under heavy stress tests like prime95/ibt after about an hour it does 75-80c. of course it's not as good as liquid cooling but not bad for £25.

I mean surly the 212 will serve me fine right? I guess if not I could just get something else in the future

see above for my experience with the 212. there isn't much a difference between the 212/212X. it's just a slight update. the 212 is still a great choice for the price. if you really want to heavily overclock then i'd say the money is best spent on an AIO.

O.DOGG

Hey, guys. I have a chance to order parts from the US and finally upgrade my 2500K system.

I'm looking to upgrade the CPU, motherboard, memory, and possibly add an M.2 SSD. I decided to get a 6700K but I'm having trouble deciding on the motherboard.

I was considering the MSI Z170A Gaming Pro as I've been pretty happy with MSI hardware up to this point but all the reviews mentioning poor QC and failing boards are concerning. Same goes for other recommended motherboards on various sites - the Asus Z170-Pro or the Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 6.

Can you guys give me some recommendations for a motherboard that tends to be more reliable? I intend to overclock so good overclocking is a must. Thanks!

sono

So I am having a nightmare picking a Z270 motherboard. Are there any recommendations for this please.

The nightmare is the range of prices and options. I want a reliable, fast board to host
an I7700 4.2GHz and a
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme 8GB GDDR5X graphics card (both of which I have ordered)

I am not too bothered about vast ranges of cooling and overclocking options.

Lom1lo

Hey guys, my cable extensions arrived and I could finish my build. The nano s is a really nice looking case :)

Whats the best way to check if I get the expected performance out of my system ? (i5 4460, msi RX 480 gaming, 16gb Ram)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom