• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best OC you guys got on a 1080? How far behind the Titan XP (stock) it is in a game like Battlefield 1?

My 1080FE is limited by the bios as I'm sure most aftermarket 1080's will be as well. You'll
Most likely need to flash the bios and add voltage if you want to get near Titan X performance. I might be wrong but that's my experience with my 1080FE.

Anyways If you're interested in Titan X levels of performance the 1080ti is supposed to be revealed soon. It'll probably perform similar to a titan x at a much lower price (hopefully)

Weevilone

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Question. Which is the better buy? MSI GTX GeForce 1070 Founder's Edition or MSI GTX GeForce Sea Hawk X. Not worried about price, looking for the pros and cons of both to see which is a better physical purchase

iamblades

What's the best OC you guys got on a 1080? How far behind the Titan XP (stock) it is in a game like Battlefield 1?

Got up to 2164 on water, didn't bench Battlefield 1, but on synthetics it was around ~90% of a stock titan XP. I'd expect Battlefield 1 to be about the same judging how that game scales in benchmarks

iamblades

[QUOTE="D";230637930]Question. Which is the better buy? MSI GTX GeForce 1070 Founder's Edition or MSI GTX GeForce Sea Hawk X. Not worried about price, looking for the pros and cons of both to see which is a better physical purchase[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't get a FE unless you have a setup that need a blower style cooler, but I also probably wouldn't get an AIO GPU either, for the same reasons.

Maybe you have a situation where you need them, but IMO the better value is the gaming series boards.

The FE is basically the same price so if you are in a situation where it has to be one of those two, get the sea hawk. It's still a reference PCB, but has a better cooling solution and maybe a better BIOS.

rrs

[QUOTE="D";230637930]Question. Which is the better buy? MSI GTX GeForce 1070 Founder's Edition or MSI GTX GeForce Sea Hawk X. Not worried about price, looking for the pros and cons of both to see which is a better physical purchase[/QUOTE]FE's got lame blower coolers and stock voltage hardware, aka don't
sea hawk is a hybrid cooler which may need more space but will be the ultimate cool GPU for wild overclocking (without voiding warranty), with voltage parts to make said OCs stable and fast

[QUOTE="D";230637930]Question. Which is the better buy? MSI GTX GeForce 1070 Founder's Edition or MSI GTX GeForce Sea Hawk X. Not worried about price, looking for the pros and cons of both to see which is a better physical purchase[/QUOTE]

I have that 1070 founders edition for octane rendering along with two 970s. 80 degrees Celsius is the normal temps under load for that card, and it is louder than non reference cards. The sea hawk should be cooler and it should be quieter, and it comes with a little higher clock speeds, and is certainly more overclokeable. Between those two I would choose the sea hawk if we ignore price.

But as iamblades points out, unless there is space restrictions and you really do need a blower style card, then I would go for non-reference with big fans on the side (but this is taking price into consideration compared to the sea hawk).

kuYuri

[QUOTE="D";230642216]I notice some say the size of my case will be a factor in going with the Sea Hawk..this is the case I plan to use... https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3MPfrH/deepcool-case-tesseractsw

Is my case gonna be okay for this card?[/QUOTE]

It's fine based on the specs. GPU length is about 270mm, while the case can take up to 310mm length GPUs.

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-SEA-HAWK.html#hero-specification

http://www.deepcool.com/product/case/2014-05/9_840.shtml

iamblades

[QUOTE="D";230642216]I notice some say the size of my case will be a factor in going with the Sea Hawk..this is the case I plan to use... https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3MPfrH/deepcool-case-tesseractsw

Is my case gonna be okay for this card?[/QUOTE]

If it's a full ATX build, just get the gaming series board.. The air cooling is more than sufficient for a 1070.

The regular sea hawks are reference pcbs, so they lack the upgraded power circuitry of the gaming series. You will get better overclocking on the gaming boards than the sea hawk most likely. The Sea Hawk may have a lower delta T, but temperatures are not the limiting factor in overclocking a 1070, aside from maybe the FE cards.

On top of that it will be cheaper(substantially so if you get the regular gaming or the gaming X).

LordAlu

Anybody using a Razer Mamba or Logitech G900?
I used a Razer Mamba for half a day or so. Performance wise it was great - I couldn't notice any lag between movement and on-screen action. Only reason I didn't keep it was the shape. Having being used to a Deathadder for so long, the Mamba just felt really uncomfortable to me.

Even on best air coolers you are not going to get past 2.1GHz, and most cards boost and OC to ~2050MHz very easily so you don't have a lot of headroom here, basically every 1080 performs the same, and is ~20% behind Titan X Pascal. However it is still overkill for anything 1440p and below, and is very capable at 4K.

Sevenfold

G900 here. Logi fan so bias but great mouse at a silly price. Getting about 20hours gaming on a charge and there's no noticeable performance difference between wired and battery. Did you want to know something specific?

LordAlu

Interlal SD card drives. Tips? Any models I need to look out for or avoid?
Not particularly. I personally would go for StarTech or RaidSonic as brands, but you can't really get them wrong so it shouldn't matter. Just make sure you've got a spare USB 2.0 and/or USB 3.0 header to plug them in to.

Dmax3901

I've seen the opinion posted around that buying a 1440p monitor is kinda a waste of time given the advent of 4k.

I bought my Acer XG270HU 27in 144Hz monitor back in June 2016, do you guys think I fucked up? Should I try and sell it and get a 4k one? I'm stressing out man. The monitor itself is great...

I've seen the opinion posted around that buying a 1440p monitor is kinda a waste of time given the advent of 4k.

I bought my Acer XG270HU 27in 144Hz monitor back in June 2016, do you guys think I fucked up? Should I try and sell it and get a 4k one? I'm stressing out man. The monitor itself is great...

It's fine. While 4K is coming along, performance wise it's still something of a struggle to maintain max settings at a stable 60 fps without spending thousands on high end cards. Could always get into downsampling if you want some visual fidelity gain before you pick up another monitor.

Smokey

I used a Razer Mamba for half a day or so. Performance wise it was great - I couldn't notice any lag between movement and on-screen action. Only reason I didn't keep it was the shape. Having being used to a Deathadder for so long, the Mamba just felt really uncomfortable to me.

I've only owned one Razer mouse in the past and it was the Deathadder. I didn't have any issue with it so the fact that the Mamba has a different shape is something I didn't think about, thanks.

G900 here. Logi fan so bias but great mouse at a silly price. Getting about 20hours gaming on a charge and there's no noticeable performance difference between wired and battery. Did you want to know something specific?

I've been leaning towards the G900. Right now I'm using a G502. Nothing specific, I'm just curious how it feels and if you'd recommend it. I've never used a wireless mouse for gaming.

1440p is fine. It's a noticeable step up from 1080p but of course not as demanding as 4k. 4k no doubt looks better but we're about a gen and a half away from (mainstream) cards being able to deliver semi consistent 4k60. When that time comes, yeah, dump it and upgrade.

Vipu

Banned
I've only owned one Razer mouse in the past and it was the Deathadder. I didn't have any issue with it so the fact that the Mamba has a different shape is something I didn't think about, thanks.

I've been leaning towards the G900. Right now I'm using a G502. Nothing specific, I'm just curious how it feels and if you'd recommend it. I've never used a wireless mouse for gaming.

1440p is fine. It's a noticeable step up from 1080p but of course not as demanding as 4k. 4k no doubt looks better but we're about a gen and a half away from (mainstream) cards being able to deliver semi consistent 4k60. When that time comes, yeah, dump it and upgrade.

G900 and G403 are the only good wireless mice atm.
I have G403 and if I need to replace mouse sometime again it will be hard to go back to wired, its so nice to not have wire around.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I've actually been looking for a 1440p monitor myself! They seem to have dropped out of existence in favor of 4K.

It infuriates me.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Is there a way to change the red parts onthe Gaming X 1070? My build will be black and blue

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
[QUOTE="D";230660928]Is there a way to change the red parts onthe Gaming X 1070? My build will be black and blue[/QUOTE]

You probably would have to remove the cooler and paint it yourself.

Very very doubtful that anyone will offer a custom color cooler.

The Google docs links in the OP are broken. ANyway those can be updated w/ new links to the Spreadsheets? Sorry if this has been said 1,000 times already.

Zel3

I've been using the Razer Mamba for about 2 months now. I was skeptical at first with the bad things I've heard about Razer mice, but so far it's been issue free. I also tried the G900 but I'm right handed so it's design didn't feel right in my hand. I recommend you go to Best Buy so you can get a feel for both before you choose.

Smokey

I've been using the Razer Mamba for about 2 months now. I was skeptical at first with the bad things I've heard about Razer mice, but so far it's been issue free. I also tried the G900 but I'm right handed so it's design didn't feel right in my hand. I recommend you go to Best Buy so you can get a feel for both before you choose.

Is it because the G900 is ambidextrous mouse?

moerser

i know i am in the wrong thread, but maybe someone could help me, or point me to the right thread, if there is any.
since the latest bios update on my asus maximus viii hero, my keyboard (poker 3) and mouse (zowie ec2a) are getting usb powered, and therefore the leds are on, even when the pc is shut down completely. yes, i was in the bios, erp (s5) disabled, fast boot option disabled. i cant find anything on how to not get the usb ports powered.
hope someon knows a workaround or fix. (please dont tell me i should just flip the switch on the psu, this is not really an option)

anybody? please :/

Is there any logic to preemptively replacing a PSU? I have an OCZ (I think it's now PC Power & Cooling-branded) ModXStream Pro 700W 80 PLUS power supply that I purchased new in April 2011... and it's still ticking to this day, despite tons of use for Office/web-browsing, gaming, and hundreds (thousands?) of hours of high-CPU-usage video rendering.

Basically, I've had zero issues whatsoever with the power supply, but those horror stories of a bad power supply frying your entire system has had me shook. I'm just wondering if it's recommended to preemptively replace what is almost assuredly a power supply that has lived beyond its expected live span, being that it was a relatively cheap power supply albeit with decent reviews?

Dmax3901

It's fine. While 4K is coming along, performance wise it's still something of a struggle to maintain max settings at a stable 60 fps without spending thousands on high end cards. Could always get into downsampling if you want some visual fidelity gain before you pick up another monitor.

I've actually been looking for a 1440p monitor myself! They seem to have dropped out of existence in favor of 4K.

It infuriates me.

Thanks guys, all good points and have made me feel better!

I currently game with this setup:

GTX980TI (Asus Strix version)
i5-3570k @ 4.2
8gb 1600mhz ddr3.

@1440p

I currently can play any game that interests me at 60fps(probably because of the sheer power of the GPU) but realistically speaking, when will I have to upgrade CPU/MOBO/RAM to maintain a stable 60fps@1440p?

i5-3570k @ 4.2
8gb 1600mhz ddr3.

@1440p

I currently can play any game that interests me at 60fps(probably because of the sheer power of the GPU) but realistically speaking, when will I have to upgrade CPU/MOBO/RAM to maintain a stable 60fps@1440p?

That depends on what kind of framerates you're getting now, and what games you're playing. The closer you are to 60 right now, the shorter you'll be able to maintain that standard going forward on the same hardware.

LilJoka

Is there any logic to preemptively replacing a PSU? I have an OCZ (I think it's now PC Power & Cooling-branded) ModXStream Pro 700W 80 PLUS power supply that I purchased new in April 2011... and it's still ticking to this day, despite tons of use for Office/web-browsing, gaming, and hundreds (thousands?) of hours of high-CPU-usage video rendering.

Basically, I've had zero issues whatsoever with the power supply, but those horror stories of a bad power supply frying your entire system has had me shook. I'm just wondering if it's recommended to preemptively replace what is almost assuredly a power supply that has lived beyond its expected live span, being that it was a relatively cheap power supply albeit with decent reviews?

What are your rig specs?
For peace of mind i would replace it since it's been almost 7 years.

"D"

So after looking around I think I want to settle on getting an EVGA Geforce 1070 card since people have been saying how good the customer service is and whatnot. Initially I wanted the FTW ACX 3.0 one with RGB lighting but I came across some news about the thermal pads/cooling issues so I don't think I want to get that one anymore. What would you guys recommend from EVGA 1070 series? Only nitpick I have is I'd like RGB lighting and I don't really want a "color themed" graphics card...meaning the card itself has accents to it...I'd like a more neutral color cause I'm going for a specific color for my build.

[QUOTE="D";230687608]So after looking around I think I want to settle on getting an EVGA Geforce 1070 card since people have been saying how good the customer service is and whatnot. Initially I wanted the FTW ACX 3.0 one with RGB lighting but I came across some news about the thermal pads/cooling issues so I don't think I want to get that one anymore. What would you guys recommend from EVGA 1070 series? Only nitpick I have is I'd like RGB lighting and I don't really want a "color themed" graphics card...meaning the card itself has accents to it...I'd like a more neutral color cause I'm going for a specific color for my build.[/QUOTE]

if you're going to get an EVGA 1070 then get one of the ones that has ICX cooling...those are their new ones they just came out with

Vipu

Banned

i5-3570k @ 4.2
8gb 1600mhz ddr3.

@1440p

I would guess MANY years, getting under 60fps because of cpu bottleneck seems pretty low chance.
It will gpu that bottlenecks 99% of the time.

"D"

EVGA would be the one I wouldn't want after VRM fiasco.
The ICX looks good though.

MSI and Asus are my preferred.

I'm looking at the Asus Strix, isn't that one the card that people have been saying runs loud?

Weevilone

EVGA would be the one I wouldn't want after VRM fiasco.
The ICX looks good though.

MSI and Asus are my preferred.

To be fair, EVGA handled the issue as well as could be expected.. but sucks it happened.

The flip side, I had an issue with an Asus product that was squarely their fault. They gave zero fucks and did nothing. They are terrible to deal with.

LilJoka

To be fair, EVGA handled the issue as well as could be expected.. but sucks it happened.

The flip side, I had an issue with an Asus product that was squarely their fault. They gave zero fucks and did nothing. They are terrible to deal with.

That's fair, luckily I haven't had to deal with RMAing from either company.

If you are in the USA then EVGA is a good bet for warranty.

[QUOTE="D";230688400]I'm looking at the Asus Strix, isn't that one the card that people have been saying runs loud?[/QUOTE]

Strix should be one of the quietest models.
Gigabyte use a more aggressive fan curve.
Everyone else is in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom