• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2020. Ray Tracing. 120Hz-360Hz. Next-Gen Already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I believe it's more about the principle. If I can get the same item, for a cheaper price, why wouldn't I?

I get that, but if you can find the parts for a PC w/the same specs cheaper than that HP with a markedly better motherboard, case etc. (and including Windows), I'd like to see it.

I get that, but if you can find the parts for a PC w/the same specs cheaper than that HP with a markedly better motherboard, case etc. (and including Windows), I'd like to see it.
Just check out www.pcpartpicker.com, and compare it to the HP, etc. You will more so find similar price, but better specs, than what prebuilt's will offer. They even show several outlets for that specific part, on multiple stores, so you can actually save money, for a BETTER build. What is your budget? Maybe I can help you out.

GHG

The problem in this case is that we don't know what the motherboard is, they don't list it on the spec sheet:

original.jpg

• While the RAM is from a good manufacturer, the RAM speed and latency is also unknown
  • The PSU manufacturer, quality and rating are also unknown
  • Case quality and ventilation unknown
  • Installed cooling unknown
  • No doubt it will come with a bunch of bloatware crap pre-installed
Don't get me wrong, on the face of it it's not actually a bad buy for the money, however there are too many unknowns in what I'd define as important areas (motherboard and PSU). You're essentially taking a gamble on the quality of components that make up the heart of the computer.

If the motherboard or PSU fail then these are two key components that can take out other critical parts with them and for that reason I couldn't recommend a pre-build like this in good conscience.

For them to sell it at this price they have to be cheaping out somewhere, and unfortunately it's likely to be the motherboard, PSU, case and cooling in this example.

Edit:

Just had a glance at the reviews on the link you provided and on the first page there is this:

This is a powerful and great gaming pc, but I've already has to recase it due to SEVERE overheating. Peaks at 90c, over 180f. This unfortunately happens with the omen due to not enough ventilation. If you have to recase, you'll have to change the motherboard and power supply because the original parts can't be placed into another case. If you're anything more than a casual gamer, you may need to just build a gaming pc.
  • Runs too hot due to poor airflow/cooling (which increases the likelihood that it will fail at some point)
  • The Motherboard is non-standard
  • The PSU is non-standard
  • Other reviews complain about it being loud as well.
---

In light of this, my advice would be to stay away.

Last edited:
The problem in this case is that we don't know what the motherboard is, they don't list it on the spec sheet:

original.jpg

• While the RAM is from a good manufacturer, the RAM speed and latency is also unknown
  • The PSU manufacturer, quality and rating are also unknown
  • Case quality and ventilation unknown
  • Installed cooling unknown
  • No doubt it will come with a bunch of bloatware crap pre-installed
Don't get me wrong, on the face of it it's not actually a bad buy for the money, however there are too many unknowns in what I'd define as important areas (motherboard and PSU). You're essentially taking a gamble on the quality of components that make up the heart of the computer.

If the motherboard or PSU fail then these are two key components that can take out other critical parts with them and for that reason I couldn't recommend a pre-build like this in good conscience.

For them to sell it at this price they have to be cheaping out somewhere, and unfortunately it's likely to be the motherboard, PSU, case and cooling in this example.
I meant to mention the MB, as many companies use custom MB'S like Alienware for instance. Usually they are not BETTER, but just proprietary. Less cooling for the vrm's and what not.

Reactions: GHG

Kenpachii

All I need is an rtx 3080 for cyberpunk

If there past games are anything to go by u will need 2x 3080's.
GTX1080Ti still holding strong for just a little longer.

I'll probably get a 3000 series unless AMD does something really awesome with the 5900XT.

Personally really interesting in the nvenc chip on the 3000 series, the 2000 series kinda made streaming CPU rendering machines already completely useless and with 3000 chips if it does another jump forwards it will kill it off entirely.

I hope they also release a chipo like 1000 bucks nvenc 3000 series GPU.

Personally more interested in the 3080ti tho, because i got the feeling that one will push twice the performance over a 1080ti for some reason.

Personally really interesting in the nvenc chip on the 3000 series, the 2000 series kinda made streaming CPU rendering machines already completely useless and with 3000 chips if it does another jump forwards it will kill it off entirely.

Personally more interested in the 3080ti tho, because i got the feeling that one will push twice the performance over a 1080ti for some reason.
I'll sell my liquid cooled 2080 Ti if all the rumors of 3000 series are true!

Myths

As a caution for better practice, try to get the Model Number of the brand from retailers. You can find out everything you need to know about its build on the manufacturer’s website using that same number. On Best Buy’s website, it’s guaranteed to be listed under “Specifications” drop down.

Here’s the pre-built culprit in question:

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

kingbean

I won't be spending more than 750 USD on a GPU and it'll need to be substantially faster than the 1080Ti.

Kenpachii

I won't be spending more than 750 USD on a GPU and it'll need to be substantially faster than the 1080Ti.

Well it depends here really on what 3000 series is going to bring. If its going to outclass a 1080ti comfortable on every front ( more v-ram and gpu performance at 500 bucks ) the 1080ti value will drop like rock overnight. I will sell my 1080ti off sit it out for a month or two with a 970 gpu before the 3000 series hit the market. Then i will buy a 3080 to sit it out towards the 3080ti or if that 3080 is bringing 16gb of v-ram i will be fine with just that. I hope on 24gb however tho. But that's probably 3080ti solution.

Market always here seems to react slow. but once those new gpu's are on the market its rip value.

However if those gpu's are still 8gb and barely performing better then a 1080ti on the 500 segment i will just keep it and wait for the 3080ti. I probably will buy a 3050 if its 100-200 bucks for nvenc stream rendering on my stream box.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Need to replace my psu. It's evga supernova g2 550w. It's fine but the fan is miserable when it turns on. Not very loud but loudest part in my system.
That's 3700x, rtx 2070, 2xNVME, 3 case fans, 2 cpu fans, 2 led strips.
Any idea of some quiet psu ?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
As a caution for better practice, try to get the Model Number of the brand from retailers. You can find out everything you need to know about its build on the manufacturer’s website using that same number. On Best Buy’s website, it’s guaranteed to be listed under “Specifications” drop down.

Here’s the pre-built culprit in question:

So, any major red flags there? I take the point about the heat, but couldn't you install an extra fan or two yourself if the case allows?

PhoenixTank

Need to replace my psu. It's evga supernova g2 550w. It's fine but the fan is miserable when it turns on. Not very loud but loudest part in my system.
If you wanted silent, you're probably going to be looking at a Seasonic-tier part or similar - anything from them with "Premium Hybrid Fan Control" won't spin up fans until "40% load". High efficiency & quiet tend to be premium differentiators in the PSU market.
That said, I've not had a PSU that annoyed me with noise in a long time. You might well be happy enough with a decently specced Corsair CX - they certainly didn't seem noisy for the builds I've put them in (not my personal rig).

So, any major red flags there? I take the point about the heat, but couldn't you install an extra fan or two yourself if the case allows?
Quick look. I don't like that motherboard. I suspect that'll hold back the CPU at the least, but don't know. I'd be very surprised to see it run with Multi Core Enhancement (MCE) i.e. shorter turbo boost clocks. I think most people would be putting a 9700(K) in a Z390 board, which is about two steps up from that. I really hope the board actually has heatsinks on it and the picture is just bare for reference :pie_worried:

Anyone touched a H370 that can give more accurate info?

small_law

This year the plan is to upgrade from a 1080 ti that I'm selling to a friend to a 3080 ti. It's been a great card, but I'll take the opportunity to upgrade.

As for CPU's, is Intel supporting PCIe 4.0 this go round? I don't think they are, but when/if they do is going to dictate my next build. It's kind of silly to get a high-end CPU right now and not have that bit of future proofing.

PhoenixTank

As for CPU's, is Intel supporting PCIe 4.0 this go round? I don't think they are, but when/if they do is going to dictate my next build. It's kind of silly to get a high-end CPU right now and not have that bit of future proofing.
Apparently was planned for Comet Lake desktop at one point (or wasn't depending on who you ask), but either way that isn't happening. AMD is your option for that in 2020. 2021... Might be standard? Intel's desktop plans are comparatively nebulous.

What’s a good graphic card for running games in ultra on a widescreen 1440p? I’m getting this card temporary till the 3080 to come out

GHG

What’s a good graphic card for running games in ultra on a widescreen 1440p? I’m getting this card temporary till the 3080 to come out

Nothing more expensive than a 2070 Super if it's a temporary solution.

You might even be ok with a 2060S.

GreatnessRD

Might go for something from the Seasonic line. I've heard they ran pretty quiet and have longevity.

GHG

Guys my LGA Z77 motherboard looks like its finally in the process of kicking the bucket. Got a corrupted bios after several failed startup attempts over the weekend. Got it up and running again but it's upgrade time sooner than I would have liked unfortunately, don't want to risk it happening again at a critical time since I also use this PC for work.

Quick sanity check, a Ryzen 3600 is a better buy than 2700x that is $10 cheaper right? This will be a hold me over until the price of the 3950x drops a bit.

Leonidas

Quick sanity check, a Ryzen 3600 is a better buy than 2700x that is $10 cheaper right? This will be a hold me over until the price of the 3950x drops a bit.

2700 non X is worth looking into. $150 on Newegg right now (or $140 on eBay - Platinum Micro). Kind of a toss up depending on what you want out of your CPU.
If I was looking for a stopgap I'd personally go 2700 at $140 since 3000 prices are only beginning to drop...

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
2700 non X is worth looking into. $150 on Newegg right now (or $140 on eBay - Platinum Micro). Kind of a toss up depending on what you want out of your CPU.
If I was looking for a stopgap I'd personally go 2700 at $140 since 3000 prices are only beginning to drop...
I just got the 3600 from best buy. I price matched Micro Center. I said yes I have one within 30 mins. For 149.00

Leonidas

1600AF is the best deal for a 6 Core CPU right now. Essentially a 2600 at $85. Great as a stop-gap CPU, I would have mentioned it in my last post but it just came back in stock at $85 (Amazon) the other day.

Makes 3000 series pricing seem insane.

Last edited:
Another HUGE advantage with AMD is that their CPUs so frequently go on sale $149 for the 3600 is such an incredible deal.
I'm so glad AMD got their shit together after Bulldozer fail. I'm getting the itch to go AMD when 4xxx series launch. Intel must be shitting the bed, every night, the past few years.

dave_d

So wait, a chip like the 1600AF is still pretty decent? Just asking since I was planning on upgrading from my 3570 in April/May and figured I'd go with either a 9700k or 3700x. Of course now I hear the 10700k is coming out fairly soon but is hot enough to fry an egg. Not sure if I should just do a stop gap AMD cpu and then just either get a 3000 series when the 4000 comes out or just go 4000 or go intel.

Anki

Banned
I was thinking to build PC in the next few months and I was wondering about the upgradability of the motherboard.
This is the configuration I have in my mind:

Cpu - Ryzen 5 3600X
Gpu - MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT MECH
Board - MSI B450 TOMAHAWK
Ram - 2X 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz Kingston
SSD - Kingston 1TB (for games)
SSD2 - Gigabyte 240GB (for os and software)
Power - 750W Gigabyte

As I heard amd will support ryzen cpu's until 2020, so when next cpu's come out in 2021 I wont be able to upgrade just the cpu, is that correct?

Ascend

I was thinking to build PC in the next few months and I was wondering about the upgradability of the motherboard.

Cpu - Ryzen 5 3600X
Power - 750W Gigabyte

As I heard amd will support ryzen cpu's until 2020, so when next cpu's come out in 2021 I wont be able to upgrade just the cpu, is that correct?
The 4000 series is the last one that will be supported on AM4. Assuming that the 4000 series comes out this year, and the 5000 series the next, you are correct. But the 4000 series should be more than enough for anyone. I'm holding on to my R7 1700 to upgrade to a 4000 series CPU.

Still torn on whether I should get a 3600 or a 3700 to keep up with next gen consoles. Maybe neither will be enough to reliably do 60 fps if developers push the console cpus to the limit.

Wizav

Neo Member
CPU: I7 9700K
MBO: ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING
RAM: 16 GB DDR4

I have old GPU 1060 6GB

Should I wait till the end of the year for better prices and maybe OP AMD GPU's?

Should I get 2070 range or 2080, I want to be safe for next 5 years of gaming.

GHG

Cpu - Ryzen 5 3600X
Power - 750W Gigabyte

If you want to ensure a certain degree of longevity for your motherboard then get n X570 board. The 4000 series will be compatible and you get PCI-E 4.0 which will be better for future NVMe drives (and possibly GPU's). The best 2 lower priced boards x570 boards are these two:

Steer clear of any other X570 motherboards in that price bracket, they all have a ton of issues.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
CPU: I7 9700K
MBO: ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING
RAM: 16 GB DDR4

I have old GPU 1060 6GB

Should I wait till the end of the year for better prices and maybe OP AMD GPU's?

Should I get 2070 range or 2080, I want to be safe for next 5 years of gaming.

if you want to be safe for next 5 years of gaming you should have 32GB RAM and at least a 2080.

16GB is quickly becoming too little. I've had games use 10-13GB. Next gen consoles won't have anywhere near 32GB RAM so that'll be more than enough.

if you were buying a GPU today i'd recommend a 2070 Super but new cards are just around the corner. Hold onto your 1060 for a few more months.

Don't even bother with AMD GPUs. They aren't terrible but AMD are forever playing catch up with Nvidia. Any new GPU they release this year will only be able to finally keep up with a 2080 Ti. and like i just said...by the time AMD get that out then Nvidia will have newer more powerful cards out and AMD will be playing catch up again.

but hey it's up to you if you want to go AMD. i'm sure their 2080 Ti equivalent card will last a good while but yeah...i rarely would ever recommend AMD unless you're on a strict low budget.

If you want to ensure a certain degree of longevity for your motherboard then get n X570 board. The 4000 series will be compatible and you get PCI-E 4.0 which will be better for future NVMe drives (and possibly GPU's). The best 2 lower priced boards x570 boards are these two:

Steer clear of any other X570 motherboards in that price bracket, they all have a ton of issues.
by the time GPUs start making use of 4.0 we'll have 5.0.

a 2080 Ti doesn't even saturate an 8x 3.0 slot and 5.0 is coming next year. there's a reason why Intel is skipping 4.0. it took forever to get to market and 5.0 is right around the corner. Intel will have 5.0 in 2021 and i'm sure AMD will move to 5.0 as well next year.

the only reason to buy an X570 board today is if you really need that 4.0 bandwidth for SSDs (not gpus), if you don't want to buy an older AMD board, or want to upgrade to a new 2020 amd cpu. the B550 boards won't even have 4.0 on them. It's just there for bragging rights and there very few people who need fast storage (not gamers).

Last edited:
Still torn on whether I should get a 3600 or a 3700 to keep up with next gen consoles. Maybe neither will be enough to reliably do 60 fps if developers push the console cpus to the limit.
Keeping up with next gen consoles? Those are both over kill compared to next gen consoles, by a long shot.

• CAS: CyberPowerPC ELUNA 242V Premium RGB Gaming Case Mid-Tower w/ Tempered Glass Window Panel (White Color)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz [4.6GHz Turbo] 12 Cores/ 24 Threads 70MB Cache 105W Processor [+150]
  • FAN: NZXT Kraken M22 120mm RGB CPU Liquid Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate - Extreme Cooling Performance [+16] (Dual (Push-Pull) Standard 120MM Fans [+5]
  • HDD: 1TB WD Blue SN550 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 2400/1950 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 410/405k [-19] (Single Drive)
  • HDD2: 10TB WD Easystore (Shucked external)
  • MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory [+123] (GSKILL Ripjaws V [+18])
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASROCK X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 ATX w/ WiFi, RGB, Intel LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 8 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe [-3]
  • VIDEO: AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 [Navi]
  • MONITOR: TCL 6 Series 55” 55R613
    My birthday present to myself. Looking forward to it. Should be here in about a week and a half.

PhoenixTank

Intel will have 5.0 in 2021 and i'm sure AMD will move to 5.0 as well next year.
Last I knew Intel's target was that datacenters/servers are getting 5.0 next year, not us mere mortals on consumer gear.
That timeline really might be more optimistic than you think.

the only reason to buy an X570 board today is if you really need that 4.0 bandwidth for SSDs (not gpus), if you don't want to buy an older AMD board, or want to upgrade to a new 2020 amd cpu. the B550 boards won't even have 4.0 on them. It's just there for bragging rights and there very few people who need fast storage (not gamers).
As it stands right this minute PCIE4 SSDs are generally overpriced. Peak throughput is better sure but the Phison E16 controller isn't taking full advantage. Should improve with the Phison E18 and what Samsung bring to market this year, so nice to have going forward.
The good X470 boards are a solid option as well, but that B450 Tomahawk is good value too and is definitely on my list for less expensive builds.
Which B550 boards? The OEM B550A boards with Ryzen 3000 have PCIE4 validated for the GPU slot/cpu m.2 slot and PCIE3 for everything else. I'd expect real B550 chipset to have a little more or similar, but have yet to see anything concrete?

Anki

Banned
So I build a budget PC, ryzen 1200, msi a320 board, 8GB RAM and used GTX 970 so I could play Sekiro and my god this is amazing. I am so excited by the performance of this build., its crazy. I play in 1080p on high settings and game is running really smooth. Now I am thinking later this year to upgrade the cpu to new ryzen add one more stick 8GB of ram and get some new GPU and I will be able to play even the next gen games :) fun times ahead.

Kazza

So I build a budget PC, ryzen 1200, msi a320 board, 8GB RAM and used GTX 970 so I could play Sekiro and my god this is amazing. I am so excited by the performance of this build., its crazy. I play in 1080p on high settings and game is running really smooth. Now I am thinking later this year to upgrade the cpu to new ryzen add one more stick 8GB of ram and get some new GPU and I will be able to play even the next gen games :) fun times ahead.

Nice build. Not every PC needs to be a top of the range monster. With so many "next-gen" games likely to be cross-gen, you don't even need to rush to upgrade so soon. How much did it all cost btw?

Kazza

Around 200euro, including the power supply and all the parts i mentioned above. Only the case and the hdd i kept from the old pc.

That's a more powerful system than base PS4 and Xbox, right? People who always go on about PCs costing $2000+ dollars should take note. But you still do have to spend at least an hour a day downloading drivers for your soundcard and configuring your controller for every game you play, right? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That's a more powerful system than base PS4 and Xbox, right? People who always go on about PCs costing $2000+ dollars should take note. But you still do have to spend at least an hour a day downloading drivers for your soundcard and configuring your controller for every game you play, right? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
That's not even the half of it! Each time I have to figure out why my pc won't turn on. Then i realize it's not plugged in. Then I must make sure my bios is up to date, simply because GAF members complain about that all the time. Oh and i disabled automatic driver updates, so now I must manually find the drivers I need, and hopefully i pick the right hardware this time around, because I bricked my floppy disk drive last time! You know what, I also disable every game I own from auto configuring it's graphical settings, because I like to stare at the settings screen for hours, and just move the sliders back and forth. Cause you know, I prefer the settings menu more than playing the games! Well, I must submit this quickly, before my pee cee crashes again!!!

/S

Kenpachii

If you got 1x 8gb stick in your PC ur fps are basically cut in half. always get dual channel memory if not then ignore.
Also a 1600 af is a good upgrade if you need more cpu performance its like 85 bucks for ~2600 performance.

Last edited:

Kobi

If you got 1x 8gb stick in your PC ur fps are basically cut in half. always get dual channel memory if not then ignore.
Also a 1600 af is a good upgrade if you need more cpu performance its like 85 bucks for ~2600 performance.

I agree, i've got a 1600x and was planning an upgrade, but managed to talk myself out of it as even doing gears 5 and division 2 benchmarks, my cpu is still keeping up pretty well. So i'm gonna wait for zen 3 and see how that preforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom