• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think PlayStation lost a lot of its "magic" by porting its exlusives to PC

3liteDragon

The Last of Us Part 1 comes to PC in March, 6 months after PS5 version, doesn’t mean that’s the norm now but I definitely think (and hope) they’ll shrink the gap between the releases.
It’s a remake of a 2013 game where the PC version was being simultaneously developed by ND, remake wasn’t going to sell like a regular game or anything. So that gap makes sense, still don’t think it’s going below 1 year.

Fredrik

It’s a remake of a 2013 game where the PC version was being simultaneously developed by ND, remake wasn’t going to sell like a regular game or anything. So that gap makes sense, still don’t think it’s going below 1 year.
It’ll happen for Bloodborne too, they’re clearly investing in the PC space so if they notice that sales numbers are better if they move the releases closer then they’ll do that no doubt.
And I think it’s a tiny group that will go ”Then I’ll swap to only play on PC, no more Playstation for me”, which I assume is the concern some fans have. It’s a whole other market.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

It’ll happen for Bloodborne too, they’re clearly investing in the PC space so if they notice that sales numbers are better if they move the releases closer then they’ll do that no doubt.
And I think it’s a tiny group that will go ”Then I’ll swap to only play on PC, no more Playstation for me”, which I assume is the concern some fans have. It’s a whole other market.
Once you use Bloodborne in your PC example you’re no longer describing a strategy, that’s a pipe dream.

Last edited:

Sentenza

The Last of Us Part 1 comes to PC in March, 6 months after PS5 version, doesn’t mean that’s the norm now but I definitely think (and hope) they’ll shrink the gap between the releases.
For the record I also wouldn't expect TLOU to be a giant seller on PC... I'm vaguely dubious about it just because the recent TV show probably made it a lot more popular with a casual audience, but we'll see.

DeaDPo0L84

But now, they release one by one, all of its pearls to PC, so why bother, and buy PlayStation 5 if you have gaming PC?
Sure, you can play earlier, but it is not the same anymore.

What do you think?
They make money from Playstation users who don't want to buy a pc and money from pc users who don't want to buy a Playstation.

It's simply business, these companies aren't your friend or care about your feelings when an exclusive goes to pc. They want to make money and more options provides that avenue.

DeaDPo0L84

Your talking points are from like 20 years ago. People are entitled to their opinions but some of you have no clue what you’re talking about and it shows.
It's always hilarious when someone's argument ends up actually proving they know basically nothing about the topic.

Especially when they throw out the same handful of talking points against pc gaming that are not even a issue.

JCK75

If your wife was having sex with other people but still coming to you first would that devalue your relationship with her? You still get her so it's fine? More people get to enjoy her and you don't lose her so, no problem at all right?
I think my point is that my PlayStation 5 is not my wife and the games are not her vagina... So I'm actually hoping other people are enjoying them in any way they choose

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Keep your PS5 and just play on that unless you actually want to play games on PC/find a benefit to doing so that attracts you. Most of the people threatening to switch to PC after PS ports their games over likely don't even give a shit about PC anyways and i'm almost certain that includes you

It was being sarcastic.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My post from the October 2022 thread, I don't care if they get ported later on as long as PS5's the baseline for their SP titles, which is what Hermen's saying. Everyone already knows their GaaS games are day one because they need all the players they can get. The console's still gonna be taken full advantage of & will have some of the best looking games this gen, I got no doubt about that given the caliber of their first-party teams.
On one hand, people bring up the Sony's PC port gaps as shrinking over time, yet you make excuses why those dont count.

Why?

It's like you think their PC ports are 4 year gaps like Horizon ZD, when in reality their latest games (Returnal and LOU Part 1) shows one at less than 2 years and the other at 6 months.

Fredrik

Once you use Bloodborne in your PC example you’re no longer describing a strategy, that’s a pipe dream.
BB should happen once they make a remake, just a bit later like TLOU. Demon’s Souls should come too, was on the Nvidia leak list which has so far been correct.
Seems like they’re doing a couple of them each year. Returnal now, then TLOUP1 in March. Maybe GT7/Ratchet for Q3/Q4. Then Spider-Man 2 next year, and whatever else they have planned this year.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They make money from Playstation users who don't want to buy a pc and money from pc users who don't want to buy a Playstation.

It's simply business, these companies aren't your friend or care about your feelings when an exclusive goes to pc. They want to make money and more options provides that avenue.
Exactly.

Problem is people are ignorant of business, or they are simply fan warriors trying to protect their plastic box turf knowing there is a reasonable business end to it.

It's like why does McDonalds and Starbucks sell coffee in grocery stores and Costco? According to fan warriors that's bad business because now they'll never step foot into a McD's or Starbucks ever again to buy expensive coffee by the cup as well as burgers, fries or croissants. They'll just make it at home dirt cheap in their own coffee machine. The best business model is to lock it all behind their fast food joints to max out profits buying direct. lol

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
TLoU is one of the best narrative driven games ever made, and GoW2018 is infinitely better than any GoW before it. It’s not even close. Then there’s Spider-Man, TLoU2, which was brilliant. Returnal. The idea that Sony exclusives are bad is some real edgyboi shit.

I would prefer if Nintendo never made a console again, and made amazing games for great hardware. You gotta look at the Switch through really twisted glasses to believe the hardware affected the software in any way except negatively. Even on Release day BotW (a game I love) had performance problems. The idea that there’s anything special about the switch hardware that makes their games better is laughable at this point.

Those 500$ pc builds are potatoes that are barely worth a second look. Can you play a ps5 game on them? Possibly, but probably badly. You’re looking at 12-1500$ for a good PC that can play current games well. Most don’t want to build a pc that’s out-date before they even assemble it.

And then there’s the part where the public in general don’t care about pc gaming. For the vast majority of console owners, it’s not even a thought. Most of my friends with consoles buy 2-3 games a year, max. Usually a shooter, a football game, and whatever huge zeitgeist release happens such as Elden Ring and Hogwarts Legacy. They just want a box under their tv they can turn on and play. They don’t care about magic, specs, resolution, or framerates. We are the tiny minority who think building gaming PC’s is sensible. Honestly, when people ask what ny gaming PC cost, im almost embarrassed to answer, and I leave out the cost of my 2 curved ultrawides and other accessories because they didn’t ask. No part of PC gaming is cheap, and the average gamer wouldn’t know where to start to build one.

PC gaming is incredible, but it will never replace consoles by any metric. Aside from true enthusiasts, nobody is building a PC instead of buying a console just because 1st party games are also there.
Nah, god of war 3 was way better imo. Sonys first party games are way less interesting now, they all feel very samey. Its either ubisoft esque open worlds like horizon, spiderman, or ghosts of tsushima, or over the shoulder sad dad games about some guy walking around some woodsy or mountainy environments devoid of any npc’s. Ps3, ps2, and ps1 era playstation was way more interesting. Shit like returnal, and rift apart are outliers here. Hopefully we get more games like that this gen

Last edited:

NovaSe7en

I don't know about the console warriors, but I don't enjoy the magic of having a game locked to a single plastic box.

I'd rather have God of War playable on the Steam Deck 5 and not have to beg the almighty console makers for backwards compatibility.

Maybe that's just me.

3liteDragon

On one hand, people bring up the Sony's PC port gaps as shrinking over time, yet you make excuses why those dont count.

Why?

It's like you think their PC ports are 4 year gaps like Horizon ZD, when in reality their latest games (Returnal and LOU Part 1) shows one at less than 2 years and the other at 6 months.
How about you go & read my post again & look at what Hermen actually said in the old thread, I’m talking about new first-party releases like Ragnarök & Forbidden West, not remakes of old games that already sold a shit ton on consoles. Returnal got ported when it did most likely because of its sales, sold like 500,000+ copies on console, then got added to PS Plus & now it’s on PC after 1.8 years according to Google, which is still awfully close to 2 years.
Like Hermen said, they're doing it on a case-by-case basis waiting for the right time to port each game, that's definitely the case with HFW.

Ragnarok sold 11 million copies in less than 3 months on PS, I'd be shocked if it's on PC this November, it's gonna depend on how each game performs sales wise. I like the PC strategy they're doing right now & that's the one it's looking like they're gonna stick with despite what some say/want. Funny looking back at some of these threads now, wake me up when they do day one PC releases for their single-player titles, cause I don't see it happening this gen lol.
If Ragnarök’s on PC by the end of this year, you’d have a point.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nah, god of war 3 was way better imo. Sonys first party games are way less interesting now, they all feel very samey. Its either ubisoft esque open worlds like horizon, spiderman, or ghosts of tsushima, or over the shoulder sad dad games about some guy walking around some woodsy or mountainy environments devoid of any npc’s. Ps3, ps2, and ps1 era playstation was way more interesting. Shit like returnal, and rift apart are outliers here. Hopefully we get more games like that this gen
Yup.

For you new gamers who only gamed recently (PS4/PS5 era), in older eras Sony made shitloads of other kinds of games: shooters, JRPG, sports, lots more racing/driving games aside from GT (even combat games like TM which the last one was during PS3), even that one off Smash clone.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How about you go & read my post again & look at what Hermen actually said in the old thread, I’m talking about new first-party releases like Ragnarök & Forbidden West, not remakes of old games that already sold a shit ton on consoles. Returnal got ported when it did most likely because of its sales, sold like 500,000+ copies on console, then got added to PS Plus & now it’s on PC after 1.8 years according to Google, which is still awfully close to 2 years.

If Ragnarök’s on PC by the end of this year, you’d have a point.
So remakes dont count according to you.

So what about all the first party GAAS games coming out in the next few years?

Last edited:
Yup.

For you new gamers who only gamed recently (PS4/PS5 era), in older eras Sony made shitloads of other kinds of games: shooters, JRPG, sports, lots more racing/driving games aside from GT (even combat games like TM which the last one was during PS3), even that one off Smash clone.

Even the Gran Turismo team made a mech shooter back in the day, and also had another racing game that wasn't GT. Tourist Trophy I believe.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Even the Gran Turismo team made a mech shooter back in the day, and also had another racing game that wasn't GT. Touring CP I believe.

Omega_Boost_Coverart.png

220px-Tourist_Trophy_%28video_game%29.jpg

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Yup.

Its like games got more expensive to make and they said “fuck it, lets double down on the shit we know will sell that has been focus tested to death”. Ps3 era playstation was amazing in comparison. Yeah not every game was a huge seller, but they took alot more risks. Honestly even outside of games i just think playstation is very boring these days. They hardly announce anything new from their first parties and when they do its very predictable. Looks like they are partnering with other devs for the more adventurous type stuff, but will we ever get a game like the last guardian from them again, or gravity rusg? Probably not

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Its like games got more expensive to make and they said “fuck it, lets double down on the shit we know will sell that has been focus tested to death”. Ps3 era playstation was amazing in comparison. Yeah not every game was a huge seller, but they took alot more risks. Honestly even outside of games i just think playstation is very boring these days. They hardly announce anything new from their first parties and when they do its very predictable. Looks like they are partnering with other devs for the more adventurous type stuff, but will we ever get a game like the last guardian from them again? Probably not
As crazy as it sounds, one my fav games during the PS1 era (doesn't matter Sony made it.... that's just pure luck) is Intelligent Qube. That game must have the lowest budget ever for any first party game across MS, Nintendo, Sony in history since the CD-rom age.

I even enjoyed Parappa the Rapper as cheesy fun as it was.

You'll never see Sony make games like that anymore.

Crayon

This game is genius. This game got it right. Or at least it knew what needed to be right.

After years of asking why they did this low key and never did it again, I think I just figured it out now. I think sony might see it as an irresponsible thing to glamorize as the face of their brand. No parent wants to hear their 14 year old going on and on about getting a 600RR some day.

This game is genius. This game got it right. Or at least it knew what needed to be right.

After years of asking why they did this low key and never did it again, I think I just figured it out now. I think sony might see it as an irresponsible thing to glamorize as the face of their brand. No parent wants to hear their 14 year old going on and on about getting a 600RR some day.

Or GT sales were down and they wanted PolyPhony to focus on what makes the studio the most money.

Both their non GT games were flop underperformers. Sony used to be tough on that, just look at how they tossed and turned the Ape Escape team. Spammed games when there was profit to be made even with declining sales, cut them off when it got to low never let them touch the series again.

Neofire

For me, PlayStation got this magic notion, thanks to great quality exclusives like Ratchet and Clank, GT, among others.
PlayStation was like an arcade saloon, and if you have ever been to one, you know what I mean by that.

But now, they release one by one, all of its pearls to PC, so why bother, and buy PlayStation 5 if you have gaming PC?
Sure, you can play earlier, but it is not the same anymore.

What do you think?
Wouldn't say they "lost their magic" by whoring out their titles to PC but they definitely neglect their own platforms base by splitting up their IP's user base. Not to mention releasing ps4 ports with more features on the PC than on the ps5. Kinda a slap in the face.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wouldn't say they "lost their magic" by whoring out their titles to PC but they definitely neglect their own platforms base by splitting up their IP's user base. Not to mention releasing ps4 ports with more features on the PC than on the ps5. Kinda a slap in the face.
To be fair, that's being fair to consumers.

If PC gamers with good rigs can handle better specs and performance, it would be weird for a company to purposely gimp their games.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
IMO the magic was gone once these console lost their custom chip. They are just like PC the porting is easy basically console are lower-mid end PC now. All the games are just scaled depending on the hardware. 🤷‍♂️

I don't own a Series X/S so I am not clear on all of their features, but I know that Sony with the PS5 at least strives to do offer unique options. DualSense features, spatial audio that works on any output device, custom I/O for for enhanced performance, a streamlined experience with things like Game Base and the activity card thingies, remote play, VRR, ALLM, I am probably missing some things.

Even though I own what I think most would consider an impressive gaming PC setup (and a Steam Deck and Switch), due to the features of the PS5 and overall comfort and easy communication with my friends spread across the world while playing, I prefer playing most genres of games on my PS5.

Last edited:

Vick

You gotta play more games my dude.
Oh, so TLOU, the game of which story/narrative spawn 10 pages of endless debates after ten years in every single Thread, recently ported in the most elite form of live-action adaptations for S-Tier reception for both critics and audience while being worse than the source material, is NOT worthy of being called "one of the best narrative games"?

You and those sad little warriors who liked your post are beyond pathetic at this point.

I can only rationalize going to these lenghts to downplay all the time Sony™ stuff being the result of decades of accumulated butthurt, which is in itself as embarrassing as most posts in this Thread.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Oh, so TLOU, the game of which story/narrative spawn 10 pages of endless debates after ten years in every single Thread, recently ported in the most elite form of live-action adaptations for S-Tier reception for both critics and audience while being worse than the source material, is NOT worthy of being called "one of the best narrative games"?

You and those sad little warriors who liked your post are beyond pathetic at this point.

I can only rationalize going to these lenghts to downplay all the time Sony™ stuff being the result of decades of accumulated butthurt, which is in itself as embarrassing as most posts in this Thread.
Chill, and don't call other people "warriors" or other insults if you don't want to be seen as one.

There are games with far better story telling than TLOU, and that's all that matters for me to dismiss the post I quoted earlier. In fact I don't think it's anything special.

But you already dismissed my opinion without even asking "why" and instead went to think "oh I bet he's just a sad little warrior", so why do I bother.

Vick

There are games with far better story telling than TLOU, and that's all that matters for me to dismiss the post I quoted earlier. In fact I don't think it's anything special.
The post you "dismissed", whether accepted by you or not, simply stated the objective reality.
The reality widely known for ten years, shared by people who make storytelling as a living in multiple media forms and millions of people who played games for twenty years alike.

But you already dismissed my opinion without even asking "why" and instead went to think "oh I bet he's just a sad little warrior", so why do I bother.
It's not like GAF is small community of which members and their habits become familiar within days, let alone the three years we shared together here.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The post you "dismissed", whether accepted by you or not, simply stated the objective reality.
The reality widely known for ten years, shared by people who make storytelling as a living in multiple media forms and millions of people who played games for twenty years alike.

It's not like GAF is small community of which members and their habits become familiar within days, let alone the three years we shared together here.
Oh so I'm a warrior because I don't agree with you? Okay bye, don't bother quoting me again.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
If it means the talented Devs at Sony's studios make even more money or make enough to keep the studio afloat and people employed or allows a small team to work on something unique then why the hell not? Don't get me wrong I'm all for keeping it Exclusive to the console for a time, but after a year or so who cares, let the PC Master race experience actual proper games instead of Railway Sims & Manga dating games

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I have been telling people this was coming for quite some time around here and most laughed at me :)
Well, Sony needs to hope that their customers base does not move to PC en masse thanks to what they are actively doing: Sony effectively going third party would not be good for them as they would miss the enormous revenue cut they get from third parties today.

Banned
Well, Sony needs to hope that their customers base does not move to PC en masse thanks to what they are actively doing: Sony effectively going third party would not be good for them as they would miss the enormous revenue cut they get from third parties today.

I mean they could make a PC launcher with integrated PlayStation features like trophies, cross save, crossplay, crossbuy, PSN Party Chat etc.
That way they might attract other publishers to publish on their store as well as on PS5, getting revenue on both systems. And if their fans jump to PC they might get them into their PC ecosystem

Last edited:

NahaNago

I mean they could make a PC launcher with integrated PlayStation features like trophies, cross save, crossplay, crossbuy, PSN Party Chat etc.
That way they might attract other publishers to publish on their store as well as on PS5, getting revenue on both systems. And if their fans jump to PC they might get them into their PC ecosystem
Everyone would just complain about the games not being on steam or having all of the features that steam has created over the last few decades.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You and I know it would not work out anywhere near as profitable as what they have now with the royalties on third party games on consoles. If all their fans jumped away from consoles to PC. Sony would essentially be going third party and I have zero faith they could get the missing revenues from their PC launcher to make up for it.

Top Bottom