• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think PlayStation lost a lot of its "magic" by porting its exlusives to PC

The haptics are also not full haptics for example on PS5 you feel rain drops putter patter on the controller and the directional haptics are better.

Triggers are amazing so your incorrect sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Nope, the trigger resistance is awful. I hate it.
Also, Jesus Sony, give me offset sticks. The controller is the part that Xbox truly nails. If I could use my xbox controller on my PlayStation, I’d be in heaven.

Guilty_AI

TLoU is one of the best narrative driven games ever made, and GoW2018 is infinitely better than any GoW before it. It’s not even close. Then there’s Spider-Man, TLoU2, which was brilliant. Returnal.
fumo-touhou-touhou.gif

The idea that Sony exclusives are bad is some real edgyboi shit.
Oh they're not bad, just... ok i guess? They're great market tested risk adverse products that most people will enjoy and only very few will truly love or despise.

Ellery

The way I see it Playstation gets to cash in on PC players money too a few years after a game's release and uses that money to develop future single player games.

More people get to play and we secure funds for future projects. Sounds great to me.

Some games I might even think about playing PC instead of PS5 if I really want to play a game with mouse and keyboard maybe or I have a significantly better PC to play games at 8K or with additional features/mods.

Tg89

I couldn't really care less about games being available elsewhere, especially years after I've already played them.

PS lost its magic when the AA game basically died and 90% of the exclusive output became homogenized third person experiences.

I have a PS5 and it's been more than justified with Returnal and Demon's Souls. But otherwise it mostly just sits there while I use my PC.

Last edited:

aries_71

The only thing they lost is single hardware optimization.

Good luck squeezing 110% of ps5 when you have to take into account another 29457385284483758 different hardware configurations and half of them are inferior to a ps5.
That’s a big point. Well thought.

Stuart360

I mean i would get this feeling if Sony were changing the type of games they made to cater more to PC gamer tastes, but they arent. PC gamers are just getting ports a little later.
What difference does it make?.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Pretty sure it's gonna happen at some point. If Sony releases TLOU Multiplayer day one on pc and it will be a hit, they will think of singleplayer day one too. Pc would benefit from Sony's massive marketing and they also get the players that otherwise wouldn't play 'old' games.
For Factions and other multyplayer projects it could be the case, sure.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I mean i would get this feeling if Sony were changing the type of games they made to cater more to PC gamer tastes, but they arent. PC gamers are just getting ports a little later.
What difference does it make?.
It shouldn't. But multiplat games make them feel less special.

The funny thing is, if all console games came out to PC day one (MS, Sony, Nintendo), most console gamers would still buy the console version anyway because it's cheaper than a good PC rig and these gamers dont want to mess with PC specs.

It's not like the first party console game maker is abandoning the console version either. It's still there day one for their plastic box.

It doesn't even make sense either because a lot of fan warrior snobs love sales data list wars. So if a game sells even more copies having a PC port, why is it such a downer? They should love it even more as the game might get another million copies sold. Instead, many prefer not to have it on PC stunting sales.

Purposely limiting video game sales to feel more secure. What a concept!

Ok, enjoy most of your high frame rate modes being 1080p or thereabouts. If you want to get the most out of modern displays, you get a gaming pc
Ease of use, no stuttering problems, better optimization, etc.

What you're experiencing is just fanboy QQ though.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
This is bizarre. If you like the games, then why does this matter? Unless it’s the exclusivity you actually like?

This adds nothing at all to the game in any meaningful way. The more people that play and the more the games sell, the more money Sony will have to give you the experiences you want I would think.

diunxx

The games don’t come to PC until years later and all of the games don’t necessarily come to PC. The PC ports aren’t always great. It costs thousands of dollars to have a PC that runs the Sony games as well as a PS5 and you also are likely to spend hours and hours of your time on nonsense like drivers.
lol hours on drivers? what? they just update like once a month, honestly these days with updates, day one patches and multiple modes, console gaming is as much "work" to start playing as PC gaming.

It shouldn't. But multiplat games make them feel less special.

The funny thing is, if all console games came out to PC day one (MS, Sony, Nintendo), most console gamers would still buy the console version anyway because it's cheaper than a good PC rig and these gamers dont want to mess with PC specs.

It's not like the first party console game maker is abandoning the console version either. It's still there day one for their plastic box.

It doesn't even make sense either because a lot of fan warrior snobs love sales data list wars. So if a game sells even more copies having a PC port, why is it such a downer? They should love it even more as the game might get another million copies sold. Instead, many prefer not to have it on PC stunting sales.

Purposely limiting video game sales to feel more secure. What a concept!
We can turn it around: did PC become less magical because you can play Baldur's Gate on a PlayStation?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We can turn it around: did PC become less magical because you can play Baldur's Gate on a PlayStation?
I dont think I've ever seen a PC gamer complain about all the PC franchises coming to console. Dont get me wrong, I'm sure there are some. But going by forums and Twitter it sure doesn't look any PC gamers really care.

So the more curious question is: Why do console gamers make it a big deal, while PC gamers dont care?

Would be interesting to hear from gaffers why this is.

Beechos

Totally disagree with this. As long as sony continues to release bangers who cares if someone can play them on another platform. You have a console for convience and stability. Too many variables on pc, you know what you are getting on console.

odhiex

"Almost all" of the best exclusive games from last hardwares have been ported / remastered over to the newer console/hardware and usually perform better.

How's that any difference with porting games to PC?

Last edited:

Beechos

I dont think I've ever seen a PC gamer complain about all the PC franchises coming to console. Dont get me wrong, I'm sure there are some. But going by forums and Twitter it sure doesn't look any PC gamers really care.

So the more curious question is: Why do console gamers make it a big deal, while PC gamers dont care?

Pc gamers laugh and pity console users trying to play pc centric games with a controller.

gypsygib

I prefer gaming on PC but most of my friends don’t. Some people just prefer console gaming and the PlayStation hassle free experience. None care at all that Sony franchises are on PC.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Nah. When they confirmed GT7 has 0 plans to ever come to PC that solidified to me that Sony will only port some games and far after the console launch for first party games.

How long till Ragnarok hits PC? That’ll be the true test . Still no Ghost of Tsushima either on PC.

I’d love if they took the Xbox approach to day one them on pc as well if they cared more about software but Sony cares way more about moving hardware units.

Moriah20

the so called "magic" is nothing but pure manufactured hype. If you think the "magic" is gone because the game is available on more platforms, it simply means you are a console warrior thats butthurt that your overhyped game is exposed.

Hoddi

That was absolutely a thing on PC forums in the early 2000s. Deus Ex, Thief, Bioshock, and countless others were deemed to have been 'consolized' when they came to the consoles and could be played with a gamepad. The lower memory capacities in the consoles also had an effect on the games' designs. DX:IW being a good example.

Modern PC games are mostly just console games running at higher resolutions. But they were genuinely different games back then.

Last edited:

Banned
That was absolutely a thing on PC forums in the early 2000s. Deus Ex, Thief, Bioshock, and countless others were deemed to have been 'consolized' when they came to the consoles and could be played with a gamepad. The lower memory capacities in the consoles also had an effect on the games' designs. DX:IW being a good example.

Modern PC games are mostly just console games running at higher resolutions. But they were genuinely different games back then.

but that's not the same thing. that's shitting on the ports for being dumbed down or cut back in some ways (which was often the case)

Banned
The games don’t come to PC until years later and all of the games don’t necessarily come to PC. The PC ports aren’t always great. It costs thousands of dollars to have a PC that runs the Sony games as well as a PS5 and you also are likely to spend hours and hours of your time on nonsense like drivers.

my dude didn't touch a PC since 2001

Hoddi

but that's not the same thing. that's shitting on the ports for being dumbed down or cut back in some ways (which was often the case)
I don't disagree. But I think adopting gamepads had a pretty big effect on how games were designed compared with what you can do with more keys. We've had four face buttons + analog triggers since forever and games are 100% more simplified for it.

Wii U already had a great solution but it went completely underutilized.

You speak of the PS5 the way the Catholic Church speaks of a vagina..
it's not tainted just because someone else can enjoy it.
If your wife was having sex with other people but still coming to you first would that devalue your relationship with her? You still get her so it's fine? More people get to enjoy her and you don't lose her so, no problem at all right?

Russell

Thank you for making this thread, OP. I agree with you 100%.

By porting its exclusives to the personal computer, the PlayStation brand has definitely lost that which makes it so special. The people at Sony responsible for that decision should be fired.

Sony games belong only on PlayStation hardware -- for the same reasons why Nintendo games belong only on Nintendo hardware. Can you imagine if Nintendo decided to port Breath of the Wild, or Mario Odyssey, or Tears of the Kingdom, or the next Mario Kart, or the next Smash Bros., to the personal computer? Yeah, the company would deserve to lose its brand value.

I only buy exclusives, but if it find out that there's a plan to port a game to the personal computer at a later date, I won't buy it solely on principle alone. And the more I hear about it, the more I'm inclined to quit this hobby that I've enjoyed for so long.

Fuck this trend of porting PlayStation exclusives to the platform that should be used for nothing more than editing media, coding, and creating spreadsheets. It's awful that more people don't oppose it. It needs to stop.

daninthemix

I only buy exclusives, but if it find out that there's a plan to port a game to the personal computer at a later date, I won't buy it solely on principle alone. And the more I hear about it, the more I'm inclined to quit this hobby that I've enjoyed for so long.
This is known as cutting off your nose to spite your face.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

By porting its exclusives to the personal computer, the PlayStation brand has definitely lost that which makes it so special. The people at Sony responsible for that decision should be fired.

Sony games belong only on PlayStation hardware -- for the same reasons why Nintendo games belong only on Nintendo hardware. Can you imagine if Nintendo decided to port Breath of the Wild, or Mario Odyssey, or Tears of the Kingdom, or the next Mario Kart, or the next Smash Bros., to the personal computer? Yeah, the company would deserve to lose its brand value.

Fuck this trend of porting PlayStation exclusives to the platform that should be used for nothing more than editing media, coding, and creating spreadsheets. It's awful that more people don't oppose it. It needs to stop.
This has got to be a parody post. But I’m having trouble determining if it is or not.

This might the first time I have ever heard a console warrior say if too many exclusives go multiplat they will quit gaming entirely just because some games are sold on different machines.

SiahWester

Sony makes money on their software and lose money on their hardware. As a PC gamer I would have never bought a PlayStation to play any of its exclusives. I have too many amazing games and just not enough time to play them all. That's why they release their games on the PC. It's only way they're going to make money on people like me.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Remove irrational thoughts and emotions and this is what we get.
ChatGPT:

It's hard to predict with certainty whether Playstation will lose its "magic" by releasing their exclusives on PC. However, it's worth noting that there are pros and cons to this decision.

On the one hand, releasing exclusives on PC can expand the potential audience for these games and introduce them to players who may not have access to a Playstation console. This can lead to increased sales and recognition for the game and the Playstation brand.

On the other hand, some fans may feel that the exclusivity of these games is what makes Playstation special, and releasing them on PC could diminish that feeling of exclusivity. Additionally, some players may prefer the experience of playing games on a console rather than on a PC, which could lead to dissatisfaction if the PC port does not live up to their expectations.

Ultimately, whether or not releasing exclusives on PC will diminish Playstation's "magic" will depend on a variety of factors, including how well the PC ports are received, how loyal Playstation's fanbase remains, and how the company handles the release of future exclusives.

3liteDragon

My post from the October 2022 thread, I don't care if they get ported later on as long as PS5's the baseline for their SP titles, which is what Hermen's saying. Everyone already knows their GaaS games are day one because they need all the players they can get. The console's still gonna be taken full advantage of & will have some of the best looking games this gen, I got no doubt about that given the caliber of their first-party teams.
Hermen Hulst said:
I would like to reiterate that the PlayStation (PS) platform continues to be the most suitable playground for playing our titles. We work close to hardware, and we test titles under development on PS first and provide feedback, so our game development and PS are inextricably linked.
As long as PS5’s the baseline for future titles being ported, I don’t have an issue with this.
I said this in the other thread & I'm pretty sure this is what he's talking about, which I got no problem with at all if that's the case.
Hermen Hulst said:
On the other hand, we are also proceeding with porting to PC, but this is aimed at acquiring new users by porting existing titles.
So no day one PC single-player titles as of right now.
Watching some bringing up his "at least one year gap" quote talking about how that means it'll shrink to day one eventually is hilarious to watch when we don't even have ports for Rift Apart, Demon's Souls, Tsushima & etc. Forbidden West is a year old now & is on the NVIDIA leaks, where's the port? Like Hermen said, they're doing it on a case-by-case basis waiting for the right time to port each game, that's definitely the case with HFW.

Ragnarok sold 11 million copies in less than 3 months on PS, I'd be shocked if it's on PC this November, it's gonna depend on how each game performs sales wise. I like the PC strategy they're doing right now & that's the one it's looking like they're gonna stick with despite what some say/want. Funny looking back at some of these threads now, wake me up when they do day one PC releases for their single-player titles, cause I don't see it happening this gen lol.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

If your wife was having sex with other people but still coming to you first would that devalue your relationship with her? You still get her so it's fine? More people get to enjoy her and you don't lose her so, no problem at all right?

I know this might be hard, even painful, to realize and accept for some fanboy out there, but the PlayStation isn't a wife, a girlfriend or a close friend. When a new first party game releases, this isn't a lovely gift from Sony to you, their most faithful lover, no. Sony is a company, a faceless whore that survives on money, not kisses and cute words.

Man up and get over it.

I do agree somewhat because this is the first time I've NOT bought a PlayStation console. Got all the others at launch but don't see any reason to buy a PS5.

I got to play the "big" games like HFW, GT7, and GoW on my PS4 and with more and more games coming to PC I'll just buy them there. The only game I can't play that I want to is Demons Souls but I mean...that's a game from what 13/14 years ago? Not like I'm in any rush to play it lol but it'll probably come to PC at some point.

I hope Sony keeps releasing more ports to PC. I'll buy TLOU Part 1 and no doubt Part 2 will come to PC as well (already played them). Can't think of any other exclusive PlayStation games I want to play. It doesn't make sense to buy a PS console right now for 1 game lol. I'll stick to my PC.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I do agree somewhat because this is the first time I've NOT bought a PlayStation console. Got all the others at launch but don't see any reason to buy a PS5.

I got to play the "big" games like HFW, GT7, and GoW on my PS4 and with more and more games coming to PC I'll just buy them there. The only game I can't play that I want to is Demons Souls but I mean...that's a game from what 13/14 years ago? Not like I'm in any rush to play it lol but it'll probably come to PC at some point.

I hope Sony keeps releasing more ports to PC. I'll buy TLOU Part 1 and no doubt Part 2 will come to PC as well (already played them). Can't think of any other exclusive PlayStation games I want to play. It doesn't make sense to buy a PS console right now for 1 game lol. I'll stick to my PC.
This is a bit of a danger with cross generation and ports especially if they were day one. Their own games do not make nearly enough on PC to offset the revenue cut they get from third parties ONLY on PS4 and PS5.

clarky

Gold Member

Had me there for a second, well done.

Drew1440

They lost their magic when they abandoned the cell/risc design and stuck with an x86 APU which was bland in its design.
Compared to the PS2 with its edram giving a crazy amount of bandwidth, which allowed for graphical effects that were only possible on the PS2. Third party ports of games even had unique effects compared to the Pc/Xbox counterparts, despite them being more powerful overall. The cell was also pretty capable with games that were later released in the PS3s lifecycle.
I get that they wanted the console to be easier to develop for by third parties, but it feels they lost something unique when they switched to a PC-like design.
I do hope they try something different for the PS6, like HBM or Risc-V.

Fredrik

Watching some bringing up his "at least one year gap" quote talking about how that means it'll shrink to day one eventually is hilarious to watch when we don't even have ports for Rift Apart, Demon's Souls, Tsushima & etc. Forbidden West is a year old now & is on the NVIDIA leaks, where's the port? Like Hermen said, they're doing it on a case-by-case basis waiting for the right time to port each game, that's definitely the case with HFW.

Ragnarok sold 11 million copies in less than 3 months on PS, I'd be shocked if it's on PC this November, it's gonna depend on how each game performs sales wise. I like the PC strategy they're doing right now & that's the one it's looking like they're gonna stick with despite what some say/want. Funny looking back at some of these threads now, wake me up when they do day one PC releases for their single-player titles, cause I don't see it happening this gen lol.
The Last of Us Part 1 comes to PC in March, 6 months after PS5 version, doesn’t mean that’s the norm now but I definitely think (and hope) they’ll shrink the gap between the releases.

Top Bottom