• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN speculates on N5's specs - HD anyone?

I can't believe this isn't mentioned anywhere (And if I've somehow overlooked it, just lock):

"Rumors abound indicated that Nintendo could separately be working on two systems and that ultimately one would be chosen for retail. System 1 allegedly featured a 2.7GHz PowerPC G5 processor, 512MBs of RAM, and a 600MHz graphics chip. System 2 allegedly featured dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5 processors. 256MBS of DDR Main Memory RAM, 128MBS of GDDR3 Video RAM and a 500MHz graphics chip. Both systems allegedly featured a built in 15GB hard drive. As of this time, these rumors cannot be validated."

IGN rumors may not be worth much, but at least it gives GA something to fight about:)

http://cube.ign.com/articles/522/522559p1.html

ge-man

Well part of the problem is that those supposed links are old news that was debated about months ago on the old board. IGN is only summarizing stuff that most of us have already talked about.

GigaDrive

Banned
the revalation that there might be two GCNext consoles in development is old news now, however it's still very very interesting. this is what we found out Sega was doing 1997. they were working on two consoles: BlackBelt and Dural/Katana (Dreamcast). the Dreamcast won over the Blackbelt, and went on to become Sega's last console....for now anyway. Nintendo is probably very smart looking at two slightly different consoles. hopefully they'll combine the best of both, into the final design.

If Nintendo continues to put as much importance about protecting themselves from piracy (continue to use proprietary data storage formats), their next home console will not include a HD.

Nintendo's always been big against piracy, much more so than their competitors.

Mashing

I think the reason the GC hasn't been pirated is more attributed to it's propritary laser and the way it reads backwards... rather than just the GOD itself. But I'm not too familar with the technical aspects of the Gamecube to know for sure.

GigaDrive

Banned
PS3 will have at least 8 CPU processors and dozens of auxillary processors. Xbox 2 will have at least 3 PowerPC CPU processors on one chip. if Xbox 2 has several processors with XNA and is easy to write games for it, why can't Nintendo have its own ease of programming with its own multi processor configuration? just some food for thought.

GigaDrive said:
PS3 will have at least 8 CPU processors and dozens of auxillary processors. Xbox 2 will have at least 3 PowerPC CPU processors on one chip. if Xbox 2 has several processors with XNA and is easy to write games for it, why can't Nintendo have its own ease of programming with its own multi processor configuration? just some food for thought.
Sorry if I'm late to the party on this, but where exactly does this information come from??? It seems...improbable.

Or I'm a tool and responding to a joke post :p

Top Bottom