• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN | Starfield Feels like Xbox's Last Chance at Redemption

Kacho

We have no idea if avowed or hellblade 2 is ready this year.
Their studios is still have big games (2024-2025 for state of decay 3, fable, and perfect dark).

It's up to MS/Xbox on which game is ready to go, or whether they want to bake it in order to avoid redfall situation.
It’s time to give us a clear picture of the future and show us stuff worth being excited for.

I can’t wait for Perfect Dark, Avowed, Fable and Outer Worlds 2 but they need to show us something. What are the systems? What does it play like? What’s the story? Etc etc.

feynoob

Banned
It’s time to give us a clear picture of the future and show us stuff worth being excited for.

I can’t wait for Perfect Dark, Avowed, Fable and Outer Worlds 2 but they need to show us something. What are the systems? What does it play like? What’s the story? Etc etc.
That is what they need to do.
They showed their cards fast without having a backup plan.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I'll be here when Starfield doesn't deliver what people expect to.

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

It really is. Xbox had a lot of goodwill heading into Q4 of 2020 with the launch of Series S & X, the Bethesda acquisition and other studios, Halo Infinite on the horizon, etc. And every single time minus a few gems they managed to completely bungle the execution. From delays, games shipping in poor states, lack of support for marquee titles, poor handling on expectation management, etc. And it shows because Sony is doing better than they ever have while MS is just spinning their wheels seemingly unable to deliver on the litany of promises they made.

Starfield not delivering will be the biggest blow yet to the brand, something they can ill afford given how many L's they've taken as of late.

NickFire

Plus these thoughts are years in the making. Some people are just getting fed up.
I would assume some people are trying to restore their credibility after telling their readers about the best deal in gaming for so long. An 18 month drought from big AAA games is tough to explain to people who paid 15 a month for those 18 months.

Woopah

Its the last chance until the next one.

You could have such a better article than this one, there's no issue or insight and its basically something anyone on GAF could write.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't think you should be worried about sales.

Selling 10m is good for developers pocket, but that will mean limited players.

Having people play the game is more valuable for Xbox at this point than sales
(gamepass plus regular sales should cover those lost sales).

They want people to engage with Xbox console more.

If 20 million people bought the game............it'll mean alot of players will play the game. Why are you falling for Phil's lies? Why are yall like this?

I really wish this wasn't the case for Xbox. I've never owned one, but I'd been jealous of the cool games they had in the 360 era. Hopefully they can turn this around and make people believe in X again. I'm all for good games, doesn't matter on what system it's on

Will be trying out Starfield on PC on GPU (hopefully my rig is good enough!)

feynoob

Banned
If 20 million people bought the game............it'll mean alot of players will play the game. Why are you falling for Phil's lies? Why are yall like this?
What lies are you talking about?
It's MS product. If they want money, they will only do sales. If they care about player base, they will only focus on that.

I don't see why you should give a crap about that.

At the end of the day MS is getting their money either way.

mckmas8808

I would assume some people are trying to restore their credibility after telling their readers about the best deal in gaming for so long. An 18 month drought from big AAA games is tough to explain to people who paid 15 a month for those 18 months.

Can we finally be honest and say that everyone in the video game's media that used the term "best deal in gaming" was and has been getting direct checks from Microsoft this entire time to say that? Or are we all supposed to act naïve, still?

WTF IS THIS. Imagine making this article when Microsoft is spend like $70 bi (70.000.000.000) for a publisher. Poor MS and Xbox. You gotta love internet lol

364bafd406398864ff2c4337051aa860.gif

Last edited:

mckmas8808

What lies are you talking about?
It's MS product. If they want money, they will only do sales. If they care about player base, they will only focus on that.

I don't see why you should give a crap about that.

At the end of the day MS is getting their money either way.

Because the bolded isn't true. Is the GP money really going back into game development? Or is it going to the Azure team? Or is it being split amongst the other divisions within MS? We are gamers that talk to other gamers on a video game forum.

If we don't care, then the industry is doomed!

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I don't agree with this. A bad Starfield will be cataclysmic for Xbox, sure, but there are plenty of other games in development and expected to release soon that can redeem Xbox.

The obvious is Forza 8 which is pretty much sure to be great. Hellblade II is also shaping up to look very good. Avowed has no gameplay yet, but we'll see about this one so I don't really have an opinion. Same with Fable.

I'm still very interested in Project Mara and State of decay 3 as well. Not a Gears fan per se, but the games have always been of quality so for those who do like Gears, they will be sure not to disappoint.

As far as sales go, it's irrelevant when Gamepass is considered. The question is will these games mean an increase in subs for Gamepass. If so, great, if not....very....veryyyy bad.

IGN are a bunch of clowns and I don't value anybody's opinion from there. They've shown very biased opinions in the past that didn't make sense and it always feels like they have an agenda with their stories.

Just keep it straight and narrow...deliver the news and stop putting your personal preferences in the mix.
It is not accurate to say that Starfield is Xbox last chance at redemption. But in a certain sense it is. Not for you of course, or even for the majority of Xbox actual consumers. But it will be for people like me. I see this as a sliding scale. Let's say it will be from 1 to 5 .If people that love Xbox are at a 1, and people that hate Xbox are on a 5. The worse will not be for more people to be on a 5. But to simply ignore Xbox, and be on a 0. This is why I consider Starfield as a make or break moment for the Xbox brand. It has the potential to change the opinion of a lot of people, and to do it drastically, if the game does not met people expectations. For me, it will mean that Xbox can't manage the studios they buy correctly, and made me angry that a new IP, that should be multiplat by default, is not only taken by Xbox, but also somehow fucked up. For others, it will prove that "Xbox has no game" and for Xbox fans, it will be another occasion to be angry about Xbox.

1 game will never be enough to destroy a console. But it is enough to slow down the momentum. The PR hit of Redfall is evident. And Phil interview made that even worse. I can't see Starfield fuck up like that. I don't want Starfield to be bad. But Microsoft had failed enough times that I fear that I do not trust them. Phil said it himself: "do not believe in me. wait until you have Starfield in your hands." If this is not enough to see that Xbox does have a PR problem, nothing will. And Starfield should normally be impossible to fail: the hype has been created by Todd howard, as usual. We know what type of games they do. If it was still a third party game, it would probably already be out by now. That is why if it manage to still somehow fail, even with a 1 year delay, that microsoft will have another PR problem. And a bigger one that Redfall.
I don't need to watch his interviews, I know whats coming and I will still play the crap out of it
You have been mostly pessimistic about Starfield state in most of your recents posts. Happy to hear that you still intend to play it when it will be out. I honestly was a little freaked out when you said that it was pushed to be around september no matter what state it is by then. I hope that it will not be a trainwreck at launch.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Honestly this Redfall narrative is going out of hand. Nobody expected Redfall to be a masterpiece.
Its not just redfall, its years of underdelivering, releasing unfinished games, and announcing products more than half a decade before they will ever see the light of day

feynoob

Banned
Because the bolded isn't true. Is the GP money really going back into game development? Or is it going to the Azure team? Or is it being split amongst the other divisions within MS? We are gamers that talk to other gamers on a video game forum.

If we don't care, then the industry is doomed!
First of all, those sales means nothing to us gamers. Few talks about it, and most us will go back to our business and forget about it in 1-2 weeks.

2nd GP money is investment. Some goes to development, some goes to 3rd party deals, etc.

3rd, having more engagement for a subscription is better as you get more talks from your service in form of free advertising. You get higher engagement for your platform.

The primary goal is to lock people in to your platform. Whether it's windows store(gamepass app) or Xbox store, and you get more people to your ecosystem.

Considering steam is also a different platform that doesn't have gamepass, you are securing extra cash with those sales.

At the end of the day, there is 2 ways to play the game. Spend 10$-15$ for gamepass or buy it full from Xbox store or steam. Either option works for MS. You either become a long term user for gamepass or you keep buying their games.

As whether this is bad for industry is different talk. Those guys don't have a subscription service, aside of the few who has them. the only way to play their games is to buy them.

Do I care about sales? No, because they mean nothing to me. I am not the one who is making those games. I just play them.

Topher

Gold Member
I just hope Microsoft learned from Redfall and won't release Starfield if it isn't ready. I'm playing the hell out of Everspace 2 right now because I just love games with spaceships and such. So Starfield is highly anticipated. But I would rather play a great Starfield in 2024 then a shitty Starfield in 2023.

Hopefully Microsoft has hired new internal reviewers because their reviewers that gave Redfall double digit scores reviews over external reviewers.......kinda suck.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

First of all, those sales means nothing to us gamers. Few talks about it, and most us will go back to our business and forget about it in 1-2 weeks.

2nd GP money is investment. Some goes to development, some goes to 3rd party deals, etc.

3rd, having more engagement for a subscription is better as you get more talks from your service in form of free advertising. You get higher engagement for your platform.

The primary goal is to lock people in to your platform. Whether it's windows store(gamepass app) or Xbox store, and you get more people to your ecosystem.

Considering steam is also a different platform that doesn't have gamepass, you are securing extra cash with those sales.

At the end of the day, there is 2 ways to play the game. Spend 10$-15$ for gamepass or buy it full from Xbox store or steam. Either option works for MS. You either become a long term user for gamepass or you keep buying their games.

As whether this is bad for industry is different talk. Those guys don't have a subscription service, aside of the few who has them. the only way to play their games is to buy them.

Do I care about sales? No, because they mean nothing to me. I am not the one who is making those games. I just play them.

Sales numbers mean alot to gamers. Some of you just don't realize how the business of video games work. And do we really know if "engagement" from a sub actually leads to positives for Xbox yet? But if the individual games don't make enough money, what higher up suit will greenlight the next game like it?

gothmog

Gold Member
I just hope Microsoft learned from Redfall and will release Starfield if it isn't ready. I'm playing the hell out of Everspace 2 right now because I just love games with spaceships and such. So Starfield is highly anticipated. But I would rather play a great Starfield in 2024 then a shitty Starfield in 2023.

Hopefully Microsoft has hired new internal reviewers because their reviewers that gave Redfall double digit scores reviews over external reviewers.......kinda suck.
I've participated in internal reviews as a dev and as a participant for various projects over the years and there are many people that review things favorably because they're just happy to have early access to the product. Nobody wants to break the illusion so the reviews go unchallenged. So it is not surprising that the internal reviews were much higher than reality.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I've participated in internal reviews as a dev and as a participant for various projects over the years and there are many people that review things favorably because they're just happy to have early access to the product. Nobody wants to break the illusion so the reviews go unchallenged. So it is not surprising that the internal reviews were much higher than reality.

Ok….but if you know that then Phil Spencer should know that, right?

cireza

The author of the article, Destin, is very enthusiastic about Xbox and even has a YouTube channel dedicated to it. If you think he enjoys writing this stuff for clicks you're fooling yourself. Hyperbole aside, there's truth to what he says. To outright dismiss this as clickbait comes across as damage control.
Damage controlling what ? I don't care about MS and Starfield succeeding or not. I have zero interest in this game by the way.

However, it is difficult to not see the trend of everyone shitting on MS and Xbox right now. So doing this has to be a good business.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Anything that generates drama will be milked till the last drop.

Phil and co took a gamble releasing this game in it’s state, no one to blame but themselves. 🤷‍♂️

Which game ? Starffield even out yet flutta ...

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
MS and Xbox need to start crunching like the Japanese studios do. That is why those games succeed. They know there are deadlines and work their asses off to complete the games. MS doesn't crunch so there is no incentive to cross that finish line. Quit catering to the crybabies. If they don't like working OT the last two months to complete the game then they should have found a different career. Most companies have crunch at some point. As long as it's not all the time then it should be accepted and expected near the end of project completion.

BabyYoda

Banned
Halo Infinite's campaign was not great, it was so utterly meh, I had to make myself finish it and I'll never touch it again. How many played Infinite's campaign several times like they did Halo CE and Bungie's other Halo campaigns, not many I'd wager, people moved on immediately because it was so utterly uninspired.

The author of the article, Destin, is very enthusiastic about Xbox and even has a YouTube channel dedicated to it. If you think he enjoys writing this stuff for clicks you're fooling yourself. Hyperbole aside, there's truth to what he says. To outright dismiss this as clickbait comes across as damage control.
This. When I saw it was written by Destin I knew this was serious.

Top Bottom