• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones by MachineGames Officially Revealed - Coming in 2024 | Xbox Direct 2024

kiphalfton

Last thing we need is a game made by Naughty Dog where we have flashbacks of young Indiana having romantic fling with a young Algerian male archeologist. Archeologist then gets murdered by the Nazis and Indiana says "screw the relics" and goes on a revenge quest.

Or they would have a gender confused "female" kill indy in 10 minutes of gameplay and become the new protagonist in an exciting tale of redemption showing that in fact they/them are the real hero overcoming a troubled past ... throw some pregnant fighting lady and another main gay character for maximum award gathering.

10/10 stunning and brave.. all the awards possible gotg

I must have missed that part (or anything resembling that) in Uncharted 4 or Lost Legacy.

pnutboy

This will be an underrated gem when the dust settles. Quote me and slap it on the box.
Agreed, could see it getting similar reception to Wolfenstein TNO in this way. High 70's-Low 80's MC but lots of people calling it underrated later on.

Nydius

Harry potter game did over 20 million.

I am sure indy can do a couple of million on pure nostalgia

The "Harry Potter" game wasn't Harry Potter, it was an entirely new story set in the same universe.

Indy nostalgia by whom? I'm 47, I saw two of the three Indy movies in theaters. I also saw how they've milked the franchise and ruined it with two mediocre, pointless, movies. There isn't much nostalgia for a property that just released a trash tier movie that even die hard Indy fans like myself wanted nothing to do with.

SantaC

The "Harry Potter" game wasn't Harry Potter, it was an entirely new story set in the same universe.

Indy nostalgia by whom? I'm 47, I saw two of the three Indy movies in theaters. I also saw how they've milked the franchise and ruined it with two mediocre, pointless, movies. There isn't much nostalgia for a property that just released a trash tier movie that even die hard Indy fans like myself wanted nothing to do with.
Keep telling yourself that.

The star wars games still sell good even though the last 6 movies been train wrecks.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Yet the user reviews for the dial of destiny are at 80 percent on rotten tomatoes
And it was a pretty decent fun summer romp of a movie.

I think the game will do pretty well.

Kacho

Agreed, could see it getting similar reception to Wolfenstein TNO in this way. High 70's-Low 80's MC but lots of people calling it underrated later on.
Yeah I was thinking Mad Max. A game that didn’t light the sales charts on fire but is generally loved by gamers.

Deerock71

If anyone had told me Riddick in first person would be the best way to experience being that badass, I'd look sideways at them. However, Riddick was absolutely one of the best FPSes on the Xbox. I'm officially intrigued. I just hope they can include Indy's ability to fuck up and right the ship.

Jayjayhd34

Because Indiana Jones is a franchise beloved all over the world by tens if not hundreds of millions of people, and most people don’t give a fuck about the perspective of an unknown IP with no preconceived notions of what it should or shouldn’t be. You’re comparing a revered license to an unknown IP and wondering why there’s a lesser reaction for the unknown IP? Seriously?

I would willing to bet majority who are complaining have not watched single indie film. I game on both pc and ps and i think your overstated the importance of indie the new film flopped and doubt current gen could even sit through one of older films.

If can't see how this forum has bias towards sony then you are blind. There's etleast one thread a day about xbox dying. You liturally can't have grown up conversation about any xbox game with stupid memes etc

If this was a Sony game there would be countless of comments on how brave they are for trying something with an adventure game.

we have 21 page thread about the perspective of a game snd reality effects very little about gameplay. wow can't see the back of someone's body it's most dramatic stupid complaint ive ever seen. There's even chance a mod will fix this and bet will not change single aspect of gameplay or story....

Last edited:

IDappa

Because some folks prefer 3rd person in action adventure games. Others have issues with motion sickness.

Personally I prefer 1st person for FPS and 3rd person for action-adventure. Yes, Dishonored was great, but to me that’s something which is more action oriented and has supernatural/ magic powers to boot.
It’s fine to have preferences, I can understand that, but to hate on a game for it, and by calling devs “not talented” because of a preference is mind boggling. Not talking about you btw..

It’s a shame the conversation about this game has boiled down to this. When I saw the trailer I genuinely thought it looked good and feels like the devs love the Indy franchise..

it is going to be a situation where we won’t know if it was the right decision until it releases. if they lean into the puzzles and atmosphere like they seem to be doing, well I’ll just say I’m optimistic..

If anyone had told me Riddick in first person would be the best way to experience being that badass, I'd look sideways at them. However, Riddick was absolutely one of the best FPSes on the Xbox. I'm officially intrigued. I just hope they can include Indy's ability to fuck up and right the ship.
Is that backwards compatible?

IDappa

You failed to quote me saying that there isn't biplanes with guns on the back in indy.

I think you watched a different trailer? Care to link it. The one I saw had many cutscenes. Mostly combat, one small puzzle scene with a statue.

Well the ark has nothing to do with Indiana Jones as a character, seriously these are some dumb comparisons you are making. There was an invisible bridge so why can't indy have a flying super power... this is literally what you are doing now.

I get that arguing makes you feel cool or something but you are impossible to interact with, you don't read anything, you make wild insinuations and accusations and you just change the goalposts for whatever suits you.

Why you are still on about 3rd Person is baffling to me, I'm being genuine now, do you genuinely struggle with literary comprehension? A genuine question, some people have dyslexia and other issues with reading, if you do I will try summize things in a much simpler way to help
You’re being disingenuous mate and you keep shifting your argument, I mean you still haven’t answered my question why this game would actually suit 3rd person more other than “cinematic feel” which I countered with Cod known to be a highly cinematic fps, I brought up multiple points how the Indiana jones franchise has outlandish events because you think it’s unrealistic for him to jump from plane to plane.

Again with the insults, I honestly feel sorry for you. Clutch at your pearls mate. Hate on a game and call the dev lazy based off a 3 min trailer which oozes Indiana vibes because your preference is third.

Here’s a tip to be less insufferable in the gaming space, just play games to enjoy them and be open to different experiences.

This is going nowhere anyway. New day time to move on.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
People are already preparing their metacritic burner accounts.

Send Tom Hanks GIF

IMD5dpK.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
Couldn't even make it through the trailer. Would have been better in the vein of Return to Monkey Island IMO, or in VR.

consoul

The people saying the Indy model looks perfect have a low bar for perfection. There are a couple of screenshots where it looks really good, but otherwise it falls short.

Especially the face reveal at the very start of the trailer. They built up to it and then ...that was the best they could manage? Jesus. Choose one of the shots where it looks good as the first reveal at least.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The people saying the Indy model looks perfect have a low bar for perfection. There are a couple of screenshots where it looks really good, but otherwise it falls short.

Especially the face reveal at the very start of the trailer. They built up to it and then ...that was the best they could manage? Jesus. Choose one of the shots where it looks good as the first reveal at least.

Y'all are some picky ass mofos lol.

Even in compressed YT format, it looks good. The hair, clothing material etc all look really well detailed, with sweat/condensation.

7ArFRFE.png

The incidental detail on even his hand is immaculate with fingerprints and creases between the knuckles also visible.

xfANfTi.png

Last edited:

dcx4610

I think the game looks pretty good but is "The Great Circle" really the best they could come up with? Even "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" sounds epic compared to that.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
People are hungry for games from famous movie ips.

But will a couple of million be enough?

We saw that Insomniac needed to sell, what, 7 million copies just to break even Spider-Man 2?

If Indy sells only 2-3 million copies, it will be an enormous financial disaster.

BlackTron

Keep telling yourself that.

The star wars games still sell good even though the last 6 movies been train wrecks.

This is also how I felt about Star Wars during prequel days. The movies could have been better, but the games (and Legos) kept it a big IP for me anyway.

I don't think Indy is as good a candidate for this effect as Star Wars but I still think it is there (but we ain't getting it from this game)

StueyDuck

You’re being disingenuous mate and you keep shifting your argument, I mean you still haven’t answered my question why this game would actually suit 3rd person more other than “cinematic feel” which I countered with Cod known to be a highly cinematic fps, I brought up multiple points how the Indiana jones franchise has outlandish events because you think it’s unrealistic for him to jump from plane to plane.

Again with the insults, I honestly feel sorry for you. Clutch at your pearls mate. Hate on a game and call the dev lazy based off a 3 min trailer which oozes Indiana vibes because your preference is third.

Here’s a tip to be less insufferable in the gaming space, just play games to enjoy them and be open to different experiences.

This is going nowhere anyway. New day time to move on.
Why am I going to answer a question that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about?

I really do think you have trouble reading. I am not trying to be funny here the fact that you still cannot grasp anything being written really is a bit worrying.

Look at some of the things you "think" you've read:

Planes don't exist in indy.
Lazy devs
Hating on the game

These are 3 things I've never said and you've brought up in the last couple of messages.

Last edited:
But will a couple of million be enough?

We saw that Insomniac needed to sell, what, 7 million copies just to break even Spider-Man 2?

If Indy sells only 2-3 million copies, it will be an enormous financial disaster.

Xbox/Bethesda usually dont spend $350 mln on games.

You can go long way with good use of $50 mln.

You won’t get fast travel of Spider man 2 or perfect lip syncing of NPC characters giving you side quests.

Good compromise IMO.

nkarafo

Or they would have a gender confused "female" kill indy in 10 minutes of gameplay and become the new protagonist in an exciting tale of redemption showing that in fact they/them are the real hero overcoming a troubled past ... throw some pregnant fighting lady and another main gay character for maximum award gathering.

10/10 stunning and brave.. all the awards possible gotg
Have you played Wolfenstein: The new Colossus?

Because you would know Machinegames are perfectly capable of delivering all that and worse.

Majormaxxx

Y'all are some picky ass mofos lol.

Even in compressed YT format, it looks good. The hair, clothing material etc all look really well detailed, with sweat/condensation.

7ArFRFE.png

The incidental detail on even his hand is immaculate with fingerprints and creases between the knuckles also visible.

xfANfTi.png
Wrong. Indy has rounder features. Their model is too angular. At times looking Chinese almost. Could be a result of mocapping Baker's bony face.

Xbox/Bethesda usually dont spend $350 mln on games.

You can go long way with good use of $50 mln.

You won’t get fast travel of Spider man 2 or perfect lip syncing of NPC characters giving you side quests.

Good compromise IMO.

Machine Games has 150 employees

They’ve worked on this game for 5 years

This title costs over $100M to develop

Starfield was probably pretty close to SM2 dev costs if not more

VulcanRaven

Story seems great. The character models are detailed but not in all shots. Sometimes the skin looks too smooth. Almost like they are wearing makeup.

Last edited:
Machine Games has 150 employees

They’ve worked on this game for 5 years

This title costs over $100M to develop

Starfield was probably pretty close to SM2 dev costs if not more

Fair enough.

Even if its an expensive title for Machine Games (100 mln), it will still generate good profit at 5 mln sold. Don’t know how that translates to gamepass.

But profit/loss equation is wildly different for games costing 50-100 mln vs 200 mln.

Smaller games are in sweet spot IMO, a couple of million sales to break even makes them far more feasible and routinely very successful.

Ozzie666

Big fan of most things Indiana Jones, please make it for my generation and not modern gamers. Secondly, if the games is Xbox exclusive, you'll get my $15 one month sub, if it's released physically on Xbox or any other console platform (maybe PC), I'll pay full price for the game. Interesting times.

Fredrik

Fair enough. I usually prefer 3rd person. I guess in this case it just seemed so oversaturated with Tomb Raider and Uncharted both basically doing this for decades. This felt like a fresh take on the tomb exploration / adventure.
Yeah and another Uncharted and Tomb Raider should be close anyway. I’m thinking we’ll see new games shown this summer, release in 2025. 3rd person tomb raiders will eat good without Indy squeezing in there between them.

After seeing that they did it well with the whip and sometimes change the perspective etc it feels like it’s own thing, feels fresh as you say, takes a well-known perspective and include some new ingredients.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
People are hungry for games from famous movie ips.

Nah, Harry Potter. Everyone asked for new or big HP game. It was a fresh new experience in the HP world and it looked good. HP franchise is much larger then Indie. Everyone knows HP, not everyone knows indie. And they are right, when was the last time that indie was relevant?

Then the game. While i like their Wolfenstein franchise. Most people would want a new WS over some generic looking indie game. Because let’s face it, it looks pretty mediocre. And with the day one GP, only Xbox en Pc, and not being that big of a relevant franchise anymore…i don’t know if it will even hit the 2 mill. Personally im more looking forward to their Wolfenstein franchise and not indie.

VulcanRaven

Nah, Harry Potter. Everyone asked for new or big HP game. It was a fresh new experience in the HP world and it looked good. HP franchise is much larger then Indie. Everyone knows HP, not everyone knows indie. And they are right, when was the last time that indie was relevant?
I think it was a mistake that they waited so long with the fifth movie. It would have done well few years after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Then the game. While i like their Wolfenstein franchise. Most people would want a new WS over some generic looking indie game. Because let’s face it, it looks pretty mediocre. And with the day one GP, only Xbox en Pc, and not being that big of a relevant franchise anymore…i don’t know if it will even hit the 2 mill. Personally im more looking forward to their Wolfenstein franchise and not indie.
Indy, not indie

And why do you think there is so much talk about the Indiana Jones game? The talk is overshadowing even Hellblade 2 and Avowed. I’ve seen even diehard PS fans saying they need to buy a Xbox now.

The thing is, there is a big chunk of older gamers, many likely feeling nostalgic over seeing Indiana Jones, same generation who grew up with Star Wars. And Indy is the original treasure hunter that creators iterated on and created Tomb Raider, Uncharted, even Rick Dangerous and Spelunky. It may not be a big thing for you and probably not for the Fortnite crowd but for many others it is a big deal. And also, it was awhile since we had a new Uncharted and Tomb Raider. And we don’t know what they’re doing there yet, old man Nathan might be swapped out to Chloe or Cassie and who knows what they’ll do to poor ol Lara.

Top Bottom